hi folks,
    just wondering if anybody could give me some advice or point my in the right direction. Ive been a bb user for a long time and currently have a 8520 but ive always wanted an iphone and finally my upgrade has come Ive ordered an iphone 4, im dying to see what the excitment is all about.

However ive been doing my home work, lol ! Ive seen big differences like the micro sim card and have been looking up tips on google, heres the thing though where im confused, say with my bb when i want to download a theme all i do is go to a theme site and download the theme for my device and than activate the screen, now with the iphone ive found theme sites which i think is great but than i seen comments that you have to jailbreak your phone to down load the themes.can somebody please explain this to me,can i not just download a theme from a site like you would with your bb? I havent a clue what jail break is,is it like using bbsak to wipe your bb than load new os?the way that took me weeks to do lol im not technical,would appreciate any help people can give me, sorry if you have heard this a thousand times but im starting to panic and the phone isnt even here yet lol. thanks again
    01-07-11 02:15 PM
    With a stock iPhone, there are no themes. You can change your wallpaper, and that's about it. If you jailbreak your phone, a process that lets you install non-Apple authorized software, then you can install themes. You don't really go to websites to install stuff on iPhone. If you have stock, then everything you download and install is pretty much from the App Store. If you're jailbroken, then you can install stuff via Cydia or you can SSH into your phone. Using Cydia is much easier than SSHing into your phone, which isn't hard either, but requires you be comfortable doing file management stuff.
    01-07-11 02:29 PM
    I think I have it, so in order to put a theme on to the phone,it has to be jail broken than do I download this cydia programe? How do I jailbreak the phone? I'm sorry for sounding stupid but I haven't got a clue?you would think the phone is so expensive it would have all the extra's but it looks like it doesn't. Is there's any videos I can watch that will show me how to do it, as I said when I tried to do an os upgrade on my bb it took weeks before I got the hang of it,will this be the same?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-11 02:53 PM
    I think I have it, so in order to put a theme on to the phone,it has to be jail broken than do I download this cydia programe? How do I jailbreak the phone? I'm sorry for sounding stupid but I haven't got a clue?you would think the phone is so expensive it would have all the extra's but it looks like it doesn't. Is there's any videos I can watch that will show me how to do it, as I said when I tried to do an os upgrade on my bb it took weeks before I got the hang of it,will this be the same?

Go to modmyi.com and you'll find everything you need to know in the forums
    01-07-11 03:31 PM

The current jailbreak for i4 on 4.2.1 is tethered, which means each time you power off, you need to connect to a computer to boot the phone unless you haven't installed anything that hooks into springboard or anything else important. Also, I'm not sure if Cydia is working yet with 4.2.1, because I haven't upgraded my firmware.

The i4 in it's stock state is just fine. I used it for months like that. Jailbreaking it does open up some tweaks and a few additional functions, but that's like icing on the cake. Additionally, jailbreak extensions that use the mobile substrate tend to add some instability to iOS. iOS in it's stock state is almost impossible to crash, but it happens with varying regularity or irregularity depending on the extensions you install. Also, using Winterboard (required for most themes) can slow the phone down depending on the theme. Some people don't notice, but for others it's annoying.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 01-07-11 at 05:01 PM.
    01-07-11 04:55 PM
    So really at the end of the day its just not worth jailbreaking it? So if I jailbreak it every time I turn the phone of,I have to connect it to a computer to turn it back on? I'm dreading the change over now but hope I get use to it

01-07-11 05:06 PM
    I have an I4 running 4.1 and also jailbroken. Since jailbreaking a few months ago it's opened up a hole new world on the device, I couldn't even imagine going back to stock. I've only had to restore once after downloading something that didnt work but otherwise I have had no other problems and have noticed no slowing down of the device. Like I had mentioned before, jailbreaking is not permanent, you can always restore back to normal through iTunes.

01-07-11 11:34 PM
    So your saying give it a go. If I go on to that site modmyi.com that has all the steps, is there any video tutorials on utube or anything that will show me how to do it properly aswell? What does tethered mean? Is that like an official os not a leaked one? So if you get an official os on the phone and you have no problems can you just keep that one, like on bb I've 5.0 681 on my curve, it worked the best for me and I've had it ever sinse,I changed it twice before but its heart breaking wiping the phone and staring again and as I'm brutal at it lol. If I get the jailbreak on the i4, is there an os that I can put on that allows me to do all the extra's but I won't have to touch again?

01-08-11 03:25 AM
    So your saying give it a go. If I go on to that site modmyi.com that has all the steps, is there any video tutorials on utube or anything that will show me how to do it properly aswell? What does tethered mean? Is that like an official os not a leaked one? So if you get an official os on the phone and you have no problems can you just keep that one, like on bb I've 5.0 681 on my curve, it worked the best for me and I've had it ever sinse,I changed it twice before but its heart breaking wiping the phone and staring again and as I'm brutal at it lol. If I get the jailbreak on the i4, is there an os that I can put on that allows me to do all the extra's but I won't have to touch again?

I'm sorry but I'm not sure if I can answer all of your questions but I will do my best. Yes there is tons of YouTube videos on jailbreaking, just search jailbreaking what ever device you have, whether it be 3G, 3GS, or I4 and whatever os you are running. If you are running an I4 on os 4.1 like I am than you are going to use limera1n to jailbreak it. Very simple to do, takes about 5 minutes, just search out limera1n on YouTube and there are some great videos on how to do it. For your other question, tethered means that you have to hook your phone up to you computer if you need to turn back on your phone. This sounds like kind of a pain to me that is why I haven't upgraded my os to 4.2, there is know untethered jailbreaks for 4.2 yet. If you do de decide to jailbreak, make sure you sinc your device with iTunes on your computer. This way if you do have to do a restore it will put back on all your apps and info from your last sinc. Anyways, I hope this helps in your decision.

01-08-11 11:04 AM
    01-08-11 12:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD