If this is going to be an 8gb only model then this won't be a tablet for the power user.

- The OS itself is going to burn at least a couple of gigs.

- Apps have gotten larger in size since the launch of the new iPad due to being upgraded for higher res retina graphics. These apps are universal, meaning regardless of whether your model of iPad can take advantage of the resolution or not, you get the full sized app.

- Video has gone 1080p as well, and of course has increased in size.

Basically if you want a 7" tablet and plan on doing more than just web browsing, email, and maybe a handful of apps, then you'd be better served by going to something like the PlayBook that'll give you a bigger bang for the buck.
    05-12-12 10:04 PM
    It seems more and more likely that the new Apple mini will be the 7.85"size. The base model may be only 8GB but there will undoubtedly be models with more storage. The thing will probably allow for insertion of an additional storage card. There will be a model aimed at the school market. This might not have Bluetooth, back facing cameras, GPS etc. The idea would be to supply a learning machine on which the system could control the content. The educational machine is not sold at Best Buy but in lots to School Boards. The lowest price machine at Best Buy is likely to be close to $300 and have the bluetooth camera and GPS. This tablet would be close to the same as BBPB but a little over an inch higher. It would be in the 4/3 ratio ( 3/4/5 triangle and multiply by 7.85/5 to get sides). Noticeably bigger and less portable than the BBPB. The allowance for a card insertion shifts an additional cost to the accessories. Buy a tablet and spend $35 for a case, $30 for a more convenient charger, $50 for a keyboard, $50 for a few apps. It's only money to many people. Apple still has imagination.
    05-17-12 12:57 AM
    I'd vote against expandable memory. Seems the fruit company has a thing against sd type card expansion.
    05-17-12 01:03 AM
    SD cards may have a future in all mobile devices. Prices have come down quite a bit and they might be the DVD and/or flash drive for mobile. It would be possible to put the contents of several DVDs on an SD card Since there are several varieties of SD cards on which I am no expert I can't even venture a guess as to which would be most suitable. Educational institutions could use them for their instructional material, businesses could use them for catalogues and other business material. Office programs could be supplied. They can be made read only and require a password. They would be suitable for offline use. I certainly agree that currently onboard memory is preferable for the power user. More RAM might even be more important. New tablet models should allow for SD cards.
    Last edited by jpash549bb; 05-17-12 at 10:46 AM.
    05-17-12 10:44 AM
    Not sure why Apple would enter this market. Mostly everyone I know that owns an iphone also has a 10" ipad, including myself, even though I use my BB products instead. What use would a 7" ipad do for them? Not only will the 7" ipad compete with the rest of the companies, but it will also take sales away from their popular 10" since I don't see the reason for anyone to own both. Those in the market to buy an ipad, will still choose the ipad, now instead of the 10" it's the 7". Also, I'm not sure if this would appeal to anyone who already has the 10", unless they plan to sell the 10" to get the 7" form factor.
    05-17-12 11:23 AM
    Not sure why Apple would enter this market. Mostly everyone I know that owns an iphone also has a 10" ipad, including myself, even though I use my BB products instead. What use would a 7" ipad do for them? Not only will the 7" ipad compete with the rest of the companies, but it will also take sales away from their popular 10" since I don't see the reason for anyone to own both. Those in the market to buy an ipad, will still choose the ipad, now instead of the 10" it's the 7". Also, I'm not sure if this would appeal to anyone who already has the 10", unless they plan to sell the 10" to get the 7" form factor.
    Scarily enough, you might find that sales of the original form factor may not diminish. You make a valid point, but general economic principles seem not to apply to some of Apple's products...

Plus, even if the rumored device cannibalized 10" sales, the healthy margin of the former may ease that particular pain.
    05-17-12 11:47 AM
    Apple Could Use 7” iPad Pricing to Punish Competitors | The Back Page | The Mac Observer

Good article. Good reasoning. Still think it would be stupid for Apple to do it, but almost certain they will. $299 sounds about right. That would still kill everything within $100 of it.
    05-18-12 09:04 PM
    I really don't think that people who bought something than an iPad only did so due to size, heck other 10" tabs sell. I think they didn't buy an iPad because they don't want one at any size. Is that a large enough market?
    05-19-12 06:32 AM
    I really don't think that people who bought something than an iPad only did so due to size, heck other 10" tabs sell. I think they didn't buy an iPad because they don't want one at any size. Is that a large enough market?
    Bingo. I don't see the point in a tablet - 10 inch or 7 inch. I want it all in one device that fits in my pocket.

Now, that Samsung Galaxy Note - that is interesting.... I really think Apple should explore that 5 inch phone territory more. Like an iPhone Pro, or iPhone HD.

A 7 inch iPad - not sure....
    05-20-12 07:20 PM
    I do not understand why they same people in this thread who think that a 7" iPad is a stupid idea for Apple, believe the 7" PB is so brilliant for RIM. At risk of repetition, a 7" iPad is a stupid idea that is probably going to happen.
    05-20-12 07:35 PM
    Hmm... Maybe apple will charge Rim for 'stealing' the 7" ipad idea...
    08-11-12 05:39 AM
    Hmm... Maybe apple will charge Rim for 'stealing' the 7" ipad idea...
    Huh?.............
    08-11-12 07:26 AM
87 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD