12-31-08 12:06 AM
    I am considering an iphone but really don't want to switch from Tmo.

It appears that it won't allow for iphone updates to firmware until yellowsn0w updates again. If I bought a factory unlocked iphone, can I upgrade as if I had a locked iphone with at&t?

In either case, if I swap the Tmo simm card from my curve, will I be able to access Tmo EDGE on the iphone? I have the unlimited bb data plan through Tmo.
    12-31-08 03:47 PM
    I am running a factory unlocked iPhone on Viaero. It's a smaller GSM company but I have roamed on TMO and ATT. Mine is a 2.2 and I won't have any issues upgradging. iTunes sees the phone as an iPhone 3G Global.
    12-31-08 03:52 PM
    Its the same with the 3g unlock as with all iphone unlocks. You will be able to update the firmware, but not as quickly as you normally could because you have to wait for that specific firmware unlock. So for instance yellowsnow will unlock firmware 2.2 . Then when 2.3 comes out you have to wait until the iphone dev team releases an unlock for that firmware before you can upgrade. Yes you T-mobile sim card will work with everything on the iphone except 3g and maybe visual voicemail(I'm not sure)
    12-31-08 04:13 PM
    It's out. I need a t-mobile sim to try it though
    01-01-09 11:37 AM
    It's out. I need a t-mobile sim to try it though
    A lot of people are reporting it not working. It is still beta though...

I know a lot of people out there need this to work but to me, no 3G = FAIL. At that's what you would get unlocking to use on T-mobile.
    01-01-09 07:52 PM

I know a lot of people out there need this to work but to me, no 3G = FAIL. At that's what you would get unlocking to use on T-mobile.
    But you also gain the following:

No contract
    Cheaper voice and data

Only thing being lost is 3g and the carrier. I feel the same way about 3g, but some either don't have 3g, use wifi or don't even care for it to be fast.

Some want it for the following:

The new black or white colors
    GPS
    01-02-09 12:38 AM

I think it's working. I inserted a T-Mo chip from my previous account and didn't get a SIM error. Didn't get any service either though because the SIM hasn't been provisioned. Half thinking about buying a Prepay SIM to try it out.

The main reason I would like this to work is so I can use Prepay SIMs when I travel. If it doesn't work or I can't get it to work, I'm going to have to buy an unlocked iPhone in Hong Kong.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 01-02-09 at 07:52 PM.
    01-02-09 07:47 PM
    But you also gain the following:

No contract
    Cheaper voice and data

Only thing being lost is 3g and the carrier. I feel the same way about 3g, but some either don't have 3g, use wifi or don't even care for it to be fast.

Some want it for the following:

The new black or white colors
    GPS
    Then get a orginal iPhone. GPS on EDGE is simply almost unusable. Unless you want to pay the premium for a colored casing. But I understand your points.

I think it's working. I inserted a T-Mo chip from my previous account and didn't get a SIM error. Didn't get any service either though because the SIM hasn't been provisioned. Half thinking about buying a Prepay SIM to try it out.

The main reason I would like this to work is so I can use Prepay SIMs when I travel. If it doesn't work or I can't get it to work, I'm going to have to buy an unlocked iPhone in Hong Kong.
    If you are referring to 3G working that's simply impossible. The software unlock is working, especially since the Dev Team is updating it pretty frequently the past few days. But T-Mobile customers will not get 3G. iPhone 3G does not support T-Mobiles 3G bands.
    01-03-09 10:28 AM
    If you are referring to 3G working that's simply impossible. The software unlock is working, especially since the Dev Team is updating it pretty frequently the past few days. But T-Mobile customers will not get 3G. iPhone 3G does not support T-Mobiles 3G bands.
    By "working," I meant that the software unlock was working. I think most people are aware that T-Mobile's version of 3G in the US won't work on iPhone 3G.
    01-03-09 10:49 AM
    By "working," I meant that the software unlock was working. I think most people are aware that T-Mobile's version of 3G in the US won't work on iPhone 3G.
    I was not sure. And yeah some are getting it to work fine while others are still having issues. Like I said, it's still beta software so it is expected.
    01-03-09 10:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD