Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,647 Global Posts
    PIN
    268CF108
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 2 playbooks and 2 iPads later

I've owned a number of tablets. 2 blackberry playbooks, an iPad1 & an iPad 2, on Friday I bought a 64GB iPad mini. One of the things I loved about the Playbook was the size, it created almost an intimate or personal feeling, like curling up with a good book, that the fullsize iPad was missing. However the app ecosystem of iOS was far better than that of AppWorld so I ultimately traded that benefit of size and personality for the advantages of apps. Then came the iPad mini, in my opinion the best of both worlds. I have it in a speck fitfolio ($0.99 at target which had to be a mistake), similar to the Blackberry Playbook Journal Case that I used on both Playbooks. It has again created the feeling of "reading" a book rather than merely "browsing" on a tablet. I'm not really sure how to explain it but the full size iPad, while an excellent device, just felt a little impersonal, businesslike is the best word I can come up with, which is great but when I'm relaxing on my own time I don't want to "feel" like I'm actually working.

Now, if Apple could just steal the bridge feature of the playbook it would be a complete package.

I know a lot of iPad owners didn't see the need for a 7" (or even a 7.9") tablet but I'm betting that the majority have been waiting for this and that the mini will go on to be the best selling iPad in history, hands down.

Whether you like Apple or not feel free to share your opinions. Better still try one at the store and see what you think.
    Last edited by xandermac; 11-06-2012 at 09:33 AM.
    Twitter: xandermac
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default 2 playbooks and 2 iPads later

After using iPad2 and playbook, I felt that playbook is more friendlier to use than iPad, due to size. I can see myself buying retina iPad mini next year
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts

Default Re: 2 playbooks and 2 iPads later

Hmm that's a tough one. But given our society's "bigger is better" attitude I'd put my money on the regular iPad outselling the mini. Personally I agree, I prefer the 7" for comfort of ereading or some quick leisurely stuff. BUT... that is a "want" whereas I feel like I "need" a 10" around the house for the more serious stuff. If I could only buy one or the other I would have to sacrifice 7".
    Carrier controlled updates is the worst smartphone spec of them all
    Nexus 4
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,647 Global Posts
    PIN
    268CF108
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by omniusovermind View Post
    BUT... that is a "want" whereas I feel like I "need" a 10" around the house for the more serious stuff.
    Yeah, I'm keeping the 10" around for the moment, never actually had both at the same time so it'll be interesting to see if one wins for me.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,647 Global Posts
    PIN
    268CF108
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Here is a good review

Apple iPad mini review: iPad mini specs, pricing, photos and more | BGR

"You also hold it closer to you due to the smaller screen, which to me results in a more personal experience with your content and what you’re doing."

Maybe that's what it is.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    489 Global Posts

To me the 7" range of tablets is the perfect size. I'll be buying my wife a LTE version iPad mini for Christmas.
    Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.