Not bad for a "useless" device. One again, Apple gets the last laugh.

Apple sells 1,000,000 iPads in revolution's first month -- Engadget
    05-03-10 09:44 AM
    Just want to point out that in the 70's, some guy sold "Pet Rocks". Pretty sure he hit a million of them sold.

Number sold has no bearing on the usefulness of the device. I'm pretty sure I've seen you make the same point about the 9530 back in the day too.

Just providing a counterpoint, for purposes of discussion, if I had the funds, I'd have likely bought one too.
    05-03-10 09:58 AM
    Just want to point out that in the 70's, some guy sold "Pet Rocks". Pretty sure he hit a million of them sold.

Number sold has no bearing on the usefulness of the device. I'm pretty sure I've seen you make the same point about the 9530 back in the day too.

Just providing a counterpoint, for purposes of discussion, if I had the funds, I'd have likely bought one too.
    LOL. I agree but there were so many people saying "it's going to be a flop", or "I don't know who would buy one of those, there's no need for it". They felt because they didn't need or want one, no one will buy them. Well apparently, somebody bought them. Whether they needed them or not is a different discussion. There are a bunch of things we buy that we don't need but the company only cares that you buy it. Either way you slice it, 1 million in less than a month isn't exactly a flop. Ask some other companies how would they like to sell a million of anything in a month.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 05-03-10 at 10:12 AM.
    05-03-10 10:09 AM
    Agreed 100%. Those are some impressive numbers. If I could sell a million copies of my themes, I'd feel pretty good about myself too.

It's always interesting to see the final retail stats on how many people bought something that has been widely panned, and see that for all the negativity, the product still had fiscal merit, at least. Like the aforementioned "Pet Rocks"
    05-03-10 10:14 AM
    As of right now, it's 1M and 1; mine is on a Fedex truck to be delivered today...
    05-03-10 10:20 AM
    how can this be a "useless" device?

I'd rather have this for a 3/4 day trip than my bulky MBP
    05-03-10 10:26 AM
    Update: It's been DELIVERED!
    05-03-10 11:06 AM

I was just thinking that...and mood rings.

I have the funds and I wouldn't be caught dead with one. If somebody gave me anything from Apple I would give it to charity.

Anyway as you say, sales has nothing to do with how good something is. Sales indicate how good the marketing is.
    05-03-10 11:45 AM
    Anyway as you say, sales has nothing to do with how good something is. Sales indicate how good the marketing is.
    And this is what matters most. Something that stinks isn't going to sell well. Blackberry users along with RIM tout how many blackberries are sold even though many of them are pratically given away. There's a reason there are so many blackberry users, because they work for what they do. But anyway, where are those people that said it was going to be a flop? We aren't talking about the reason why they sold, just fact that they did.
    05-03-10 12:22 PM

I have the funds and I wouldn't be caught dead with one. If somebody gave me anything from Apple I would give it to charity.

Apple has always had marketing ninjas! I work in marketing and I love every product launch Apple has. The scandals the police breaking down doors, armed guards to watch over the secrete ipad and iphone, employees getting fired and arrested for leaking information, customers getting ipads literately ripped out of their hands at the mall. Its awesome. Who builds the best hype? Apple does People who pronounce the internet as intr0nat are asking me if they need one of them ipad thingies. I just say yes it cures cancer and does the dishes, hurry buy one before they run out lol!. Marketing Ninjas!
    Last edited by harrison0550; 05-03-10 at 12:42 PM.
    05-03-10 12:29 PM
    I played with one at the Apple Store. It was very nice, responsive and a great web experience and video looked great on it. I'm debating getting one for motorcycle trips, watch movies on airplane, and other things where a phone is too small, but my Macbook Pro 17 is too big. I just want to make sure they resolve the overheating issues in sunlight and week WiFi signal that were two reported problems in the beginning.
    05-03-10 01:18 PM
    The overheating in sunlight thing is a hard fix. Almost any fanless electronic is going to do it, right? I know my S2 gets hotter if it's in the sun. (Thank you, MeterBerry)

If I were given one, or they were on sale (ha!) or something, I would get the iPad. But $600+ for a giant iPod Touch (no, I don't work in graphics or the audio industry, so don't point out those merits) is definitely not worth it.

Until it runs a full version of Snow Leopard or does that 3D thing from Iron Man, I'm not getting one.
    05-03-10 02:07 PM
    That;s pretty cool. I thought i would have the need for it but i do not. I guess i will just admire it instead of owning one.
    05-03-10 02:15 PM
    I played with one at the Apple Store. It was very nice, responsive and a great web experience and video looked great on it. I'm debating getting one for motorcycle trips, watch movies on airplane, and other things where a phone is too small, but my Macbook Pro 17 is too big. I just want to make sure they resolve the overheating issues in sunlight and week WiFi signal that were two reported problems in the beginning.
    I would definitely recommend it for watching vids, playing games and browsing the web and reading. It's a good device for those things. It will never replace your laptop but I was like you, I have a laptop and an iPhone but this device fits it well so I don't have to lug my 15 inch laptop around when I only need a device to pull up things on the web quickly and doing a little reading. It's worked out pretty well for me. I haven't had any of the issues that people were having so I consider myself fortunate for that.
    05-03-10 02:39 PM
    Apple has always had marketing ninjas! I work in marketing and I love every product launch Apple has. The scandals the police breaking down doors, armed guards to watch over the secrete ipad and iphone, employees getting fired and arrested for leaking information, customers getting ipads literately ripped out of their hands at the mall. Its awesome. Who builds the best hype? Apple does People who pronounce the internet as intr0nat are asking me if they need one of them ipad thingies. I just say yes it cures cancer and does the dishes, hurry buy one before they run out lol!. Marketing Ninjas!
    That is so true. And then Apple will sit back and let the media generate mre buzz for them. They get more free press than anyone. When they do something, everyone in the world will know about it. Apple can probably have people lined up to buy Apple-branded ice their marketing is that powerful LOL.
    05-03-10 02:41 PM
    It really isn't much more than a giant iPod touch. I wasnt sure I wanted one and I definitely didnt need one, but I bought three of them and I am glad I did. It is a fantastic device that is fun to use. It certainly doesnt replace a laptop but I find it much more fun for casual surfing, videos, etc. My wife loves hers and my mom is thrilled as well!
    05-03-10 03:28 PM
    I bought a 64GB Wifi this past Saturday and love it. Glad to be part of the one million!
    05-03-10 04:03 PM
    wooooow thats. i want one tooooo
    05-06-10 06:18 PM
    it has cool features..
    05-07-10 08:36 AM

Funny how you hate Apple and the iPhone so much but spend loads of time trolling these forums. Care to explain?
    05-07-10 04:23 PM
    Have no need for a 3g model so I have a 32wifi. It's always in use, if not by me then by my wife; damn godfinger. Had mine since launch and don't regret it one bit.
    05-07-10 07:09 PM
    Funny how you hate Apple and the iPhone so much but spend loads of time trolling these forums. Care to explain?

Yes it does, the site has an obvious agenda (like all iPhone sites/people) of discrediting anything that iSteve doesn't like.
    Glutton for punishment I call it. Hates it so much and its "so biased" yet keeps coming back for more.

There's no evidence of Flash crashing anything except Apple's party
    This line from another thread here says it all towards the extent of the delusion So sad....
    Last edited by stuaw11; 05-07-10 at 10:49 PM.
    05-07-10 10:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD