Do you have experience using Blackberry's new development environments? Do you want to make money?

I have several ideas for apps that I would like to develop using Blackberry's new development environments. I would like to target the Tablet OS and BB10. I have the ideas, but need an experienced app developer to help with coding and creating a clean functional UI.

For now, I would like to start with one app idea. I would like to see how that first app goes. If all goes well, I have several more app ideas in the pipeline.

All profits from the app will be split 50/50. If interested or want more information please DM or feel free to post on this forum.
    Last edited by ClassyBOLD; 04-10-12 at 12:09 PM.
    04-10-12 11:20 AM
    i know u dont want to loose your idea but give us an idea of what you are doing because skill levels can be very diverse depending on what you are doing and how you plan to implement it (AIR/C/JAVA(Andriod)/HTML)
    04-10-12 10:57 PM
    Great question.

I would ultimately defer to the developer on which environment is best to develop on. Based on my limited knowledge, I prefer native for stability reasons but my app idea is not graphic intensive by any means. The app could most likely be implemented easily using Air or HTML 5.

The app is very content driven and will be a handy resource for what I think is a broad group of people. Happy to be more specific if need be.
    Last edited by ClassyBOLD; 04-11-12 at 10:05 AM.
    04-11-12 10:01 AM
    Great question.

I would ultimately defer to the developer on which environment is best to develop on. Based on my limited knowledge, I prefer native for stability reasons but my app idea is not graphic intensive by any means. The app could most likely be implemented easily using Air or HTML 5.

The app is very content driven and will be a handy resource for what I think is a broad group of people. Happy to be more specific if need be.
    https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/html5/api

HTML5 is very easy to learn.. I learned it last week and ive written a bunch of apps.. just text based but it aint hard.. if what you said (content) based) is easily implemented as you say im sure its not too hard to do byurself picking up html (and possibly some javascript). If you dont mind sharing the idea which I may or may not take (depending on difficulty). Im always looking for app ideas so i can submit as much apps as I can before may 1 so I can enter into the Orlando BB10 Jam contest!
    04-11-12 03:28 PM
    https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/html5/api

HTML5 is very easy to learn.. I learned it last week and ive written a bunch of apps.. just text based but it aint hard.. if what you said (content) based) is easily implemented as you say im sure its not too hard to do byurself picking up html (and possibly some javascript). If you dont mind sharing the idea which I may or may not take (depending on difficulty). Im always looking for app ideas so i can submit as much apps as I can before may 1 so I can enter into the Orlando BB10 Jam contest!
    I have almost no coding knowledge! If I'm going to make this app, I want to make it right. The app needs to look and work crisp.

The app will display content, but the UX is important. I will need a "table of contents" where a user can click an item and the app will take them to specific content. The menu will need a back button to return to the Table of Contents. I also want to display the app differently if the PB is held in landscape mode vs protrait mode. I'd like to make the app look nice by adding a "glass" effect to it's menu.

You interested in partnering up? The entrance for the Jam contest will be for your benefit (as long as you promise to let me play around with the alpha BB10 unit if our app wins the free attendance award). We'll split the profits from the app 50/50.
    04-11-12 09:24 PM
    An idea man ... brilliant

The best advice I ever received was "never work with an idea man". Idea's are a dime a dozen, and you'll find that they're often worth much less than that, even on the rare occasion that an idea is unique.

As everyone knows most ideas are completely worthless, all you're offering is "Do all the work and we'll split the cash!"

What do *you* bring to the table that will help make the project financially successful? Here's a hint: It's not the idea!

Really, if you want to find someone to work only on the hope that maybe, someday, they'll see compensation for their (likely one man) effort you're going to have to tell someone something about the project.

I don't like to work on other peoples ideas without any guarantee that I'll be reasonably compensated -- I have plenty of my own ideas that I'd like to focus on but don't have the time for!

I'm willing to bet every other developer here is in the same position.

So you're stuck. You won't find anyone willing to take a risk on the project without "risking" your idea unless you can offer some (legal) guarantee that they'll be adequately compensated for their time.

If you still want to play the "my idea is so awesome that it must be kept secret" game, you're going to have to bite the bullet and actually pay someone to develop it for you under an NDA and a Non-compete agreement.
    04-12-12 04:53 PM
    Gonna have to agree with recompile. Ideas can be worth money, but having an idea is a lot less work than making the app.
    If you want to run your idea by me (I probably won't have the time or skills to make it tho) I'll be happy to tell you what I think about it and negotiate some form of payment for it if I decide it's worth using.
    04-14-12 05:50 PM
    Gotta agree with recompile and scrid2000, making an app takes work. But it is also easy to learn some basics yourself. If you have an idea, pick up a book and learn it.

Otherwise you are "promising" nothing because 50/50 of zero is zero. Meanwhile the dev put all the work making the app, and you "fished" an idea which maybe nobody cares about.

I began developing for Playbook only a few months ago from scratch, got an app in Appworld and working on more. I started with Webworks and learning jQuery, CSS for effects. Lots of free samples and tutorials online if you put in the time.

I would urge any dev to stay away from "ideas". If the OP really believes in the idea, let them PAY a developer to make the app for them, then the OP can keep 100% of the profits and the developer gets their per-hour fee rate and they are happy. Done.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    04-14-12 06:31 PM
    My list of app ideas is at 31 ideas and counting. Ideas aren't that hard to come by.

What is hard to come by is also not really the development skills to implement something. There are good devs, bad devs, and lots in between. Same with graphics designers, who are essential to the process.

What I think is really hard to come by can pretty much be summed up in two words: good requirements.

If your "idea" can be described in 25 words or less... great, you've done a nice job translating your thoughts into a concise form. That's the "elevator pitch", but that only barely starts the conversation.

If you've got your idea described in 2500 words or more, along with some diagrams, sketches, a mockup or two, storyboards, etc, and ready answers to the next 100 questions about the details.... now you're talking.

Find a dev, ask about rates, get a non-disclosure and non-competition agreement signed, get some estimates or agree on a fixed price, or somehow work out a relationship and get the job done. You already finished the really hard part before any of that! Without that work done, you can neither adequately describe your idea, nor expect anyone else to see value in your contribution.

(For other devs: I'm aggressively agile most of the time, so don't assume the use of "requirements" implies I think a waterfall model is really appropriate for app development... if you're also agile you'll know that the equivalent to the requirements described above would be dozens of index cards (or whatever) with summaries of the relevant items, with estimates and arranged in priority order, and someone to help guide the work by answering the hundreds of questions that will come up... "same difference", as they say. The programming is still the easy part.)
    04-14-12 07:27 PM
    My list of app ideas is at 31 ideas and counting. Ideas aren't that hard to come by.

What is hard to come by is also not really the development skills to implement something. There are good devs, bad devs, and lots in between. Same with graphics designers, who are essential to the process.

What I think is really hard to come by can pretty much be summed up in two words: good requirements.

If your "idea" can be described in 25 words or less... great, you've done a nice job translating your thoughts into a concise form. That's the "elevator pitch", but that only barely starts the conversation.

If you've got your idea described in 2500 words or more, along with some diagrams, sketches, a mockup or two, storyboards, etc, and ready answers to the next 100 questions about the details.... now you're talking.

Find a dev, ask about rates, get a non-disclosure and non-competition agreement signed, get some estimates or agree on a fixed price, or somehow work out a relationship and get the job done. You already finished the really hard part before any of that! Without that work done, you can neither adequately describe your idea, nor expect anyone else to see value in your contribution.

(For other devs: I'm aggressively agile most of the time, so don't assume the use of "requirements" implies I think a waterfall model is really appropriate for app development... if you're also agile you'll know that the equivalent to the requirements described above would be dozens of index cards (or whatever) with summaries of the relevant items, with estimates and arranged in priority order, and someone to help guide the work by answering the hundreds of questions that will come up... "same difference", as they say. The programming is still the easy part.)
    im taking on the project. im not really really a dev, i come from a project management background so i actually can think backwards i'll entertain ideas that are doable with html5 before may 1st. after may 1st (when i find out rim wont let me go to orlando) i'll take on more complicated projects.
    04-14-12 11:39 PM
    I have to agree with the group here. Every developer has gheir own app ideas and schedules, so you need to do a phenomenal job of convincing them to build your ideas instead. Especially if you are pocketing 50 percent.

No offense, but I wouldnt take this deal.

Building a perfect app with a flawless UX is not a simple task - I am assuming with testing 40hrs on average. My contracting rate is 50/hr - which is below standard in my city for development (usually 75-150/hr).

I don't do 50/50 work. Ideas are cheap - no offense. If you had a document history of critical success (i.e. Notch) then I would invest. But I don't gamble on business decisions.

Right now your app has 0 hrs development and 0 sales. Your valuation is 0$ with no track record of application success. So, no offense really, but nty.
    04-21-12 04:03 PM
    Ur kidding right? Devs at google/silicon valley dont even make 50 an hour (i know quite a few ppl working there, some domkae big $, but most dont.)

Not sure what take u guys so long to make an app. But it doesnt take that long... Unless they are superb apps... But if you are talking business decisions you should spend about half the hours of what u expect to be paid... If u cant make money then u should find a real job loll(thats my take on this). I do it for fun so profit is not my priority (although its not a bad thing either)
    04-22-12 04:45 PM
    Ur kidding right? Devs at google/silicon valley dont even make 50 an hour (i know quite a few ppl working there, some domkae big $, but most dont.)
    There is a difference between working for a company and being a contractor. That 50 an hour for a contractor has to cover their holidays, workplace, benefits, liability, equipment, etc. If you just work for a company they pay for those things.

Do you really think that a guy working for 20 bucks an hour only costs the company 20 bucks an hour?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    KermEd likes this.
    04-22-12 05:04 PM

Not sure what take u guys so long to make an app. But it doesnt take that long... Unless they are superb apps... But if you are talking business decisions you should spend about half the hours of what u expect to be paid... If u cant make money then u should find a real job loll(thats my take on this). I do it for fun so profit is not my priority (although its not a bad thing either)
    No, and the more experienced developers working in my city are charging 150+ if they are senior.

But then again that is only if you want quality work. If you want cheap, untested, 10$/hour labour from China... well your on the wrong forums. But based on what I said (above) my going rate to do the work would be 2000/CAN - flat rate. Which is actually quite reasonable. And if it is worth the small fortune you say it is, thats peanuts.
    04-22-12 09:08 PM
    There is a difference between working for a company and being a contractor. That 50 an hour for a contractor has to cover their holidays, workplace, benefits, liability, equipment, etc. If you just work for a company they pay for those things.

Do you really think that a guy working for 20 bucks an hour only costs the company 20 bucks an hour?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    I know what contractors cost/worth loll. You dont need many 'senior devs' to make an app. Most of the app companies (including those that create angry birds, that farm game on facebook) hire many students (cheap) labour to do the majority of the development and leave the senior devs to the planning/architecture etc.. But sure if it costs you 50 bucks / 2 k to make an app all the best to you . Btw the coporate rate/cost for Indian development is about 20$ not sure where you can get 10$ in from China. for 130$/hr you are much better off being an architect (less work). Just my two cents ...
    04-22-12 10:34 PM
    Oops wrong person - lol. I contract out development in the evenings, so 50 is actually quite low here. Very busy because of it - I have to get through 6 or so larger projects over the next few months... but I make a lot more as an analyst in the day time. Any dev work is simply for more fun money.

Solution Architects at my work bring in far more too. 200+ is not uncommon. It is a good role to go for if your interested in it .

But 5 days at 8hrs a day for 1 dev is reasonable. It will take 1 day with him for a concept build. 2 days for a gold build. 1 day for testing and wrap up build. Then 1 day for documentation, posting online, graphics and media, etc etc. And depending on the number of plqtforms it can take a while. But 40hr*50 gives you the 2k. Student work is ok but risky (usually the warranty is the risk). Offshore is always a bad idea - I see it cause lots of problems that I usually get paid to fix or rebuild from scratch in the evenings.

Ed
    Last edited by KermEd; 04-22-12 at 11:25 PM.
    04-22-12 11:07 PM
    Oops wrong person - lol. I contract out development in the evenings, so 50 is actually quite low here. Very busy because of it - I have to get through 6 or so larger projects over the next few months... but I make a lot more as an analyst in the day time. Any dev work is simply for more fun money.

Solution Architects at my work bring in far more too. 200+ is not uncommon. It is a good role to go for if your interested in it .

But 5 days at 8hrs a day for 1 dev is reasonable. It will take 1 day with him for a concept build. 2 days for a gold build. 1 day for testing and wrap up build. Then 1 day for documentation, posting online, graphics and media, etc etc. And depending on the number of plqtforms it can take a while. But 40hr*50 gives you the 2k. Student work is ok but risky (usually the warranty is the risk). Offshore is always a bad idea - I see it cause lots of problems that I usually get paid to fix or rebuild from scratch in the evenings.

Ed

try onshore in PEI/Newfoundland area.. 2/3 of costs than in GTA
    04-23-12 10:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD