03-07-15 11:03 AM
53 123
tools
    App Name: Where's My Bus?
    Summary: Where's My Bus? aims to provide riders of the various public transit systems around North America services by the NextBus system a simple and elegant means of viewing real-time transit information, as well as any service announcements in effect.
    Features:
    - Select an Agency, Route, Direction, and then Stop to view an interactive map of the stop and nearby bus locations, as well as a list of the next upcoming bus arrival/departure times
    - Service announcements will be overlaid on top of the map if active
    - Press and hold an Agency, Route, or Stop to add it as a favorite for quick navigation
    - Filter Agency, Route, and Stop pages to quickly find what you are looking for
    - Application Cover/Active Frame while viewing a stop will change to a simple display of the next 3 bus arrival/departure times (note: make sure to configure refresh interval settings and do not leave the app running when you are not using it to conserve battery life)
    - Swipe down from the top to view application help or configure settings such as refresh intervals for the Next Bus Page and Application Cover view
    - Note: App is limited to only displaying the following agencies that authorize NextBus to release their data to the public XML API: Supported Transit Agencies
    App World Link: BlackBerry World - Where's My Bus?
    Support Link: Where's My Bus? Support
    Price: $0.99
    Z10 Screenshots:
    Where's My Bus? Real-time transit info for the NextBus system-splashpage.jpg Where's My Bus? Real-time transit info for the NextBus system-screenshot1.png
    Where's My Bus? Real-time transit info for the NextBus system-screenshot2.png Where's My Bus? Real-time transit info for the NextBus system-screenshot3.png
    Where's My Bus? Real-time transit info for the NextBus system-screenshot4.png Where's My Bus? Real-time transit info for the NextBus system-screenshot5.png
    Where's My Bus? Real-time transit info for the NextBus system-screenshot6.png Where's My Bus? Real-time transit info for the NextBus system-screenshot7.png
    Where's My Bus? Real-time transit info for the NextBus system-screenshot8.png Where's My Bus? Real-time transit info for the NextBus system-screenshot9.png
    Where's My Bus? Real-time transit info for the NextBus system-screenshot10.png Where's My Bus? Real-time transit info for the NextBus system-screenshot11.png
    Last edited by antiemotion; 05-13-13 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Added support page URL & updated screenshots
    s7khan and Omnitech like this.
    03-17-13 01:17 AM
    Q10 Screenshots:
    Where's My Bus? Real-time transit info for the NextBus system-screenshot12.png Where's My Bus? Real-time transit info for the NextBus system-screenshot13.png
    Where's My Bus? Real-time transit info for the NextBus system-screenshot14.png Where's My Bus? Real-time transit info for the NextBus system-screenshot15.png

Changelogs:
    - Added support for agencies that pull their data out of the NextBus public API and into their own private API. Note that agencies still need to utilize the NextBus system, and each additional agency needs to be manually coded into the app. The first agency added in this release is the WMATA Washington DC transit system.
    - BlackBerry Q10 and 10.1 support (note: Q10 support will improve after I have a physical device to test on - sometime after the Q10 releases in the U.S.)
    - Reworked the filter function to drastically reduce network and resource usage
    - New Application Cover/Active Frame style (plus alternate theme available in the settings)
    - Added the ability to refresh the Agency/Route/Direction/Stop lists in case something went wrong
    - Other misc. bug fixes

- BlackBerry 10.1 stability fix
    - Other misc. bug fixes

- Added the ability to filter list of agencies/routes/stops to quickly find what you are looking for
    - Added zoom buttons to the next bus page map for easier one handed use
    - Added Feedback and Add Review buttons to application menu
    - Better error handling & recovery
    - Other misc. bug fixes

- More attempts to mitigate the MapView SDK bugs that could cause map issues or a crash
    - Added support for indication of delay that might make predictions inaccurate
    - Fixed bug that allowed a stop to be added multiple times as a favorite
    - Added toast notification when favorite added/removed
    - More friendly error messages
    - More orientation fixes
    - Replaced bus map icon
    - Other misc. bug fixes

- Added a setting to show all directions on the Next Bus page, enabled by default. This solves a bug where the NextBus API returns predictions with an incorrect direction tags, causing the application to believe there are no upcoming buses. Next Bus listings now include the direction under the minutes remaining.
    - Tweaked bus icon bubbles on the map (included km/h speed)
    - Fixed orientation issues
    - Other misc. bug fixes
    Last edited by antiemotion; 05-13-13 at 06:59 PM. Reason: v1.4.0 & Q10 Screenshots
    03-17-13 01:20 AM
    Please add fort myers Beach trolley!!! Than it's perfect for me!
    03-17-13 03:42 AM
    Please add fort myers Beach trolley!!! Than it's perfect for me!
    Unfortunately, I am limited by the data made available via the NextBus XML API. It appears that a few agencies, Fort Myers included, have chosen to not make their data available. In the long run I envision generalizing the system to allow for other data sources that might include some of these missing agencies (for example, the DC based WAMTA agency has pulled its data out into their own API) however that will probably not be for another few versions.

Sorry about that!
    03-17-13 10:38 AM
    Where can we look up our bus system to see if it's available?

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 12:33 PM
    Where can we look up our bus system to see if it's available?

Posted via CB10
    Ah good question. I have just updated the BlackBerry App World description to include the supported agencies, and I will be keeping a more up to date list in the support site's Supported Transit Agencies section as well.
    Last edited by antiemotion; 03-22-13 at 01:38 AM.
    bluetroll likes this.
    03-17-13 12:59 PM
    Will be downloaded on arrival
    03-17-13 01:04 PM
    Translink in Vancouver, B.C. not available?
    03-17-13 01:26 PM
    No, why would translink want to improve efficiency or customer service? All they like to do is expand and charge exorbitant fees for a service that runs half assed. Or install turnstiles that won't be used for years.

Anyways, carry on.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 02:29 PM
    Nope sorry, looks like this is another example of an agency that pulled their data out into their own API as they detail on their developer page

I'll start keeping a list of ones like this I find so when I eventually code an easy way to use multiple data sources I have a few to test with.
    03-17-13 02:45 PM
    Looks like Ottawa does that too, why bother making your own api, if one already exists....

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 04:25 PM
    Looks like Ottawa does that too, why bother making your own api, if one already exists....

Posted via CB10
    I've actually seen a few that have some nice expanded functionality - like searching for nearby stops - that the NextBus API doesn't support. Also they probably want to track what routes people are looking at or which applications are pulling the most data, which they cant really get from the public XML API. Some agencies also combine the API for their bus predictions with their subway/metro predictions so they just have one system that they control.
    03-17-13 06:29 PM
    Just bought the app, as I was wanting a making system for the next bus system in Toronto. This is perfect. Thanks so much for the app. It's actually worth a lot more then you are charging, but I'm not complaining.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 08:18 PM
    Just got the update! thanks-> keep up the good work.

Playbook 64gb, 9930, Dev Alpha B
    03-18-13 02:08 PM
    Thanks for the kind words everyone! If you get a chance, please review the app to let others know how you felt

I have also just put in a request to update the app information in BlackBerry World to include a list of the supported agencies based on your feedback to allow potential buyers to check to see if their agency is available before purchase, hopefully clearing up some confusion there.
    03-20-13 01:50 PM
    Oh man, if you can get the WMATA data feed, I will have to seriously consider this app.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 05:41 PM
    Oh man, if you can get the WMATA data feed, I will have to seriously consider this app.

Posted via CB10
    You're in luck. In the next version my plan is to be able to incorporate multiple data sources, and my first test case will be WMATA. I actually had the idea to create this app because I use the WMATA system daily, and was disappointed to see that they pulled their data out of the public XML API to use their own API instead. Check back in maybe a month or so
    TBone4eva likes this.
    03-20-13 05:52 PM
    You're in luck. In the next version my plan is to be able to incorporate multiple data sources, and my first test case will be WMATA. I actually had the idea to create this app because I use the WMATA system daily, and was disappointed to see that they pulled their data out of the public XML API to use their own API instead. Check back in maybe a month or so
    Awesome, thanks!

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 05:57 PM
    Excellent, useful.

It looks like the Napa VINE transit system may use NextBus, they also have a "Where's my Bus" link on their website. But I don't see them in your list. Are they witholding data also?
    03-20-13 06:46 PM
    Excellent, useful.

It looks like the Napa VINE transit system may use NextBus, they also have a "Where's my Bus" link on their website. But I don't see them in your list. Are they witholding data also?
    Hmm, they may actually not even be using the NextBus system at all - I don't see them on the full agency list (that includes agencies that do not offer their data through the public API) here. Sorry!
    03-20-13 06:58 PM
    Hmm, they may actually not even be using the NextBus system at all - I don't see them on the full agency list (that includes agencies that do not offer their data through the public API) here. Sorry!
    Well I thought it was quite interesting they use the exact same phrase that NextBus uses - the "Where's my Bus" thing, on their website, and have their own GPS-based bus-tracking system.

I guess they could be using some other similiar system.
    03-20-13 08:38 PM
    Oh no, I'm not affiliated with NextBus or anything - "Where's My Bus?" was just my silly creation (though to be honest it's not that original anyway), I don't think they actually use that anywhere. Just a funny coincidence that Napa VINE also uses it!
    Last edited by antiemotion; 03-20-13 at 10:19 PM.
    03-20-13 08:48 PM
    Oh no, I'm not affiliated with NextBus or anything - "Where's My Bus?" was just my silly creation (though to be honest it's not that original anyway), I don't think they actually use that anywhere. Just a funny coincidence that Napa VINE also uses it!
    Ha, OK. I wasn't suggesting you were affiliated with them, I just (probably mistakenly) assumed that it was associated w/ them or something.

I live in San Francisco, which was one of the early adopters of NextBus, a few years ago. Now they seem to have re-branded it NextMuni and have ETA trackers in a lot of bus shelters here.. but I think it's all just a NextBus system with a local name.
    03-20-13 11:02 PM
    Oh haha ok, yeah it looks like a couple agencies have used the phrase "Where's My Bus" when announcing NextBus support or something, but it doesn't look like they use it officially anywhere.

And interesting, I wouldn't be surprised if it got started out there - but yes it looks like "NextMuni" is just a local re-branding of NextBus for the MUNI transit system.
    03-21-13 09:09 AM
    Use the web browser and their mobile site at TransLink Mobile. Works very well and even uses the GPS if needed. Save it to your Home screen and voila a web app.
    03-21-13 04:18 PM
53 123