Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dayoo
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Thumbs up UK Traffic Information

I'd firstly like to give a big thank-you to the CrackBerry community for the support you've shown me with with your downloads and positive comments of the UK Traffic Information app which was featured on CrackBerry.com just 2 days ago! I never believed I'd have an app featured on CrackBerry and the fact you've voted with your wallets in force means I really want to return the favour by publishing an update as quickly as possible.
    Avoid traffic jams in Great Britain with UK Traffic Information for BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com

Since then I've worked non-stop and developed a large update which I hope will address the most requested features and enhance the user experience. I'm hoping to have this submitted to BlackBerry World for you all by the end of the week (5/04/2013). Please find a change-log and some screen-shots.

BlackBerry World Link
    Price: $1.99

Change-log:
    • Regions: UK, England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales
    • Grouping of Traffic Incidents by Road Name
    • GPS Support (Traffic Incidents closest to your location appear at the top.)
    • Performance Improvements
    • Data Improvements (More information cached on device rather than re-downloaded each time.)

Screenshots:
    UK Traffic Information-img_00000007.jpg
    UK Traffic Information-img_00000008.jpg
    UK Traffic Information-img_00000010.jpg
    UK Traffic Information-img_00000011.jpg
    UK Traffic Information-img_00000012.jpg
    Thanked by 3:
    beetleberryjane (04-03-2013),  cjterminator (04-02-2013),  dietertong (04-05-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

Just wanted to provide an update - my aim is now to push this update into App World this weekend as there are still a few issues which I'd like to resolve, despite my attempts to stay up until the early hours of the morning to get this update ready for today. Currently the majority of the app is working although occasionally some road names are wrong and the GPS functionality is still unavailable. Hopefully once submitted this weekend, you'll all be able to downloaded it from BlackBerry World by Wednesday.
    Thanked by:
    cjterminator (04-05-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Thanks for all the work you are putting in.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Update: The update has been submitted to App World. GPS support is still experimental and has room for improvement. There may also be the odd issue where a map for an incident doesn't display correctly. I figure it's better to get you the improvements so far and I will of course work on these small issues as soon as I have access to a real device. (I've developed this application using a Dev Alpha A - and have frequently run into graphical glitches which makes testing more complicated and time consuming.) Hopefully I'll have a real Z10 within a few weeks and can fix the remaining issues. Feedback welcome as always - thank you for your patience.
    CrackBerry User

Thanks for the update, great app so far and really glad you've taken the feedback from the community to implement the features that we all wanted. Its one of those vital apps you need on your phone and the new features will make it perfect for my journeys. Keep up the great work
    dietertong likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Thank you! I'm sorry the update hasn't been approved in BlackBerry World yet, but I believe BlackBerry are working on a backlog of applications to approve. Fingers crossed, this week it'll be approved ready for you to download.
    CrackBerry User

Nice to see NI added, keep up the good work.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AA65368

Give me a shout when approved please?
    J4mes73@gmail.com

Posted via CB10
    James
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Default An Update...

Unfortunately due to a small problem which occurred last week during testing in BlackBerry World the update was not approved on the first attempt. Don't despair though, as I'm pleased to say that my Dev Alpha C device has arrived and I've been busy making the application look great on the Q10.
    I'll be submitting the update again tonight which will have all the previous changes above, plus support for the Q10 device.
    Hope everyone has a great weekend and apologies for the small delay in getting this update out to you.

UK Traffic Information-uktrafficinformation.png
    CrackBerry User

thanks again for the updates. Looking forward to downloading
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Lightbulb Futher ideas...

I realise you're eagerly awaiting for the update to be approved, but I'll thought I'd post to give you an idea of some features which I believe I could add in the future. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to chip into this thread and whilst I can't promise these will become a reality I'll definitely consider them for future updates.

* Active Frame Support
    UK Traffic Information-img_00000012.png
    * Set favourite locations/roads - instant push reminders sent to your device if there is a traffic incident on a road which you use regularly.
    * Integration with the native maps application? - Launch the built in maps app at the incident location directly.
    * Filter incidents by type: Roadworks/Obstructions/Accidents.
    * Filter incidents by severity: Minor / > 30 Min Delay / Road Closures
    CrackBerry User

The favourite roads push notifications is a great idea.

I'm no developer but maybe some sort of notification at a set time by the user might be an idea? So say I use the A1 everyday, I can have notifications set at 7am before I leave for work and then 5pm to inform me of the traffic on my journeys to and from work?

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

That sounds like a great idea! Go for it...

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

The update was approved this morning. It'll be rolling out over BlackBerry World in the next 24 hours, enjoy!

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

James has posted about the update on the homepage

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

I've seen! I owe James and the CrackBerry community another big thank you for their continued support. Nothing is more motivating than seeing people talk about and use something that you've designed. As always get in-touch if there's a problem or a suggestion and I'll do my best to take on-board feedback.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Just submitted to App World, hopefully approved for download by the end of the week:

* Improved GPS functionality.
    * Improved Active Frames Support - traffic incidents rotate every 15 seconds on the active frame.
    * BBM Maps Integration - view incidents in the native BBM Maps app and then find alternative routes by panning around the traffic incident.
    * Improved Q10 and Q5 support.

Enjoy!

Attachment 170520
    CrackBerry Abuser

Hi. I've just got the app and really like it. Thanks!

Just one initial observation - some of the incidents are duplicates. For example, check the A11 and it lists 10 incidents - but when you look at those incidents, there are only four. They are all listed two or three times.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

Glad you like the application!
    That's a fair comment, some of the reasons the incident might appear twice are:

1. Northbound/Southbound/Eastbound/Westbound. The people providing the data (UK Highways Agency) list the incidents like roadworks twice, once in each direction so arguably a set of roadworks on a motorway might be there twice, but it's actually the same bit of road. I'm not sure if I should filter or change this.

2. Region Overlap.
    If you view traffic incidents for England - the UK Highways Agency occasionally list roads on the borders of Scotland/Wales and these can be duplicated when the feeds are pulled in from Traffic Wales/Scotland's Highways Agency. Again I'd filter these out but I'm not confident I'd be able to remove duplicates 100% of the time automatically. Fortunately this is rather rare in occurence.

3. Accidents/Conjestion. The Highways Agency also lists an accident as well as a seperate incident for the Conjestion or queue which may have formed behind the incident. Again, I can see if I can remove the duplication here in the future, but it might take a while for me to come up with an accurate way of doing this.

Hope this makes some of the problems I'm facing clearer, but thank you for downloading the application - any other problems or suggestions, post here or use the support link within the application and I'll be happy to help.

As an update regarding push notifications for road incidents, I'm about to start work on a prototype where you could subscribe to notifications about incidents on a particular road. I've got no-timescale yet as to when this might be avaliable, but I am investigating the idea.

Posted via CB10