04-29-16 07:48 PM
198 123 ...
tools
    App Name: SMS Backup

Summary:
    SMS Backup is a complete text message backup and restore solution for BlackBerry 10 devices. Whether you want to backup your text messages or want to import and merge your (old) text messages from a BlackBerry 10 device or other smartphone devices [1], SMS Backup is here to help you.

Features
    • Backup text messages (SMS) to an open XML format [1]
    • Backup media content from MMS
    • Checks for duplicates on import
    • Clear all your text messages (Safely remove all text messages)
    • Export text messages to a CSV file that you can view, sort and print in a spreadsheet application such as Excel
    • Supports all versions of BlackBerry OS 10 (including leaks)
    • Built for BlackBerry approved!

[1] The XML format allows you to import and export to other platforms as well:

Guides for importing and exporting Text Messages to other devices (Both BB10 and Android/iPhone): https://epicwindmill.com/sms-backup/

Note: If you would like to restore the MMS entries created by an earlier version of SMS Backup (v1.0.8 and older) please read this post on how to patch and import them [Patching media folders].

This tool should be very useful for people who:
    • switch between OS versions often (i.e. Testing leaks)
    • need to switch between BB10 devices (upgrading/replacements)
    • are migrating to or from Android devices
    • want to archive conversations
    • want to view/print messages on their computer
    • need a more reliable alternative to BB Link which seems to have issues when restoring from different OS versions.
    Link to BlackBerry World Listing: BlackBerry World - SMS Backup

Price: $1.99

Required permissions
    • Email and PIN Messages
      This permission is required to list, read and access your accounts
    • Shared Files
      This permission is required to read and store the backup files
    • Text Messages
      This permission is required to access your text message account
    • Run When Backgrounded
      This permissions is required to allow the app to import/export while running in the background
    Viewing the backup file in a browser
    Version History:
    Changelog for 1.1.4 - December 2, 2013

Changes:
    - Minor UI/UX changes
    - Built for BlackBerry!

Changelog for 1.1.3 - November 25, 2013

Changes:
    - Moved the Delete button to the Action Menu (required for BFB submission)
    - App will now check for all control characters on export and fix them before writing the backup file
    - Fixed error reporting for invalid XML files

Changelog for 1.1.1 - November 15, 2013

Changes:
    - Moved the Help and Info shortcuts to the application menu at the top for a better BB10 user experience (swipe down from the top of the screen to access)
    - Added an option to export text messages to a CSV file that you can view, sort and print in Excel
    - Minor bug fixes

Changelog for 1.1.0 - November 8, 2013

Changes:
    - Rewrote the UI from scratch for a more user friendly design
    - Added MMS support (import/export)
    - Added option to verify created backup file
    - Added option to Zip & E-mail the backup file
    - Added manual
    - Bug fixes

Changelog for 1.0.8 - August 13, 2013

Changes:
    - Improved error handling on import
    - Added fix for rare import issue with "Substitute character"

Changelog for 1.0.7 - August 8, 2013

Changes:
    - User can now pick any location for the backup file, both internal and external memory (SD Card)
    - Added a XSL stylesheet file for easier viewing in the browser (supported by Internet Explorer and Firefox)
    - Fixed conversation mode.

After upgrading please do a quick re-import by following these steps (required to fix the conversation):
    - Backup all text messages
    - Use the delete button to wipe all text messages
    - Restore your text messages

Changelog for 1.0.6 - June 05, 2013

Changes:
    - This new version is build using Native SDK 10.0.9.2743
    - It now supports all devices BB10 devices.

Added:
    - Added support for (future) Q5 owners
    - The only new (experimental) feature is that it now also exports all attachments from any MMS entries in the database. There is no option to import them back yet though (so if you use MMS, keep a backup for a future release that does supports importing them back).

Changelog for 1.0.5 - May 17, 2013

Added:
    - UI Improvements (Status feedback)
    - Improved import speed on large backup files
    - Application will now continue to import when it is running in the background (or when the screen is turned off
    - Requires new permission: Run When Backgrounded
    This permissions is required to allow the app to import/export while running in the background

Changelog 1.0.4 - May 06, 2013

Added:
    - Feedback on missing permissions
    - Keep the screen awake (Previously the app would pause when the screenlocked was enabled automatically)
    - Clean up phone number on import (removes dashes and spaces). This should result in less broken conversations. (e.g. "xxx yyy zzzz" and "xxx-yyy-zzzz" willl become xxxyyyzzzz.)

Fixed:
    - Missing sender's name in the received message (conversation view)
    - Use the correct latest timestamp in message list
    - Use address field (Phonenumber) on unknown entries (Gets rid of the (Unknown) entries)
    - Typos in UI

After upgrading SMS Backup please complete the following steps to fix the missing sender's name and conversation timestamps:
    1. Create a complete backup of your text messages
    2. Erase all text messages
    3. Import the backup you made in step 1

Changelog 1.0.1 - Apr 29, 2013
    - Initial release
    - This is a native app
    Attached Thumbnails SMS Backup - Backup and Restore Text Messages-2013-11-06-23.12.15.png   SMS Backup - Backup and Restore Text Messages-img_00000039.png   SMS Backup - Backup and Restore Text Messages-2013-11-06-23.12.28.png   SMS Backup - Backup and Restore Text Messages-2013-11-06-23.12.32.png   SMS Backup - Backup and Restore Text Messages-img_00000040.png  

SMS Backup - Backup and Restore Text Messages-2013-11-06-23.29.10.png  
    Last edited by falcon4ever; 06-01-14 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Changelog / New release
    higherdestiny likes this.
    04-29-13 02:54 PM
    I'm definitely interested, but a couple of questions:

Is this a native app or an Android port?
    Does it handle MMS as well?
    Is there a method for converting past backups (for example, using Desktop Manager) into a compatible XML format?
    04-29-13 03:33 PM
    Looking at the app buttons in the screenshots seem to indicate it is a native app....but please confirm. (Sorry, I started typing my questions before I really paid attention to the screens. LOL)
    04-29-13 03:34 PM
    Thanks for the info, something I may purchase.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 03:40 PM
    what a jip. the android versions are free.
    04-29-13 03:52 PM
    I'm definitely interested, but a couple of questions:

Is this a native app or an Android port?
    Does it handle MMS as well?
    Is there a method for converting past backups (for example, using Desktop Manager) into a compatible XML format?
    Hey Wu-wei,

this is a native BB10 app (cascades). I'm currently reading the data from the "sms-mms" account but I haven't tested if it would backup MMS messages (I'm guessing it will only grab the text part).

I haven't used a BlackBerry before BB10 so I am not familiar with the Desktop Manager format. If you have a sample file, I can see if I can add a reader/importer for that format as well.

p.s. AFAIK you can't access the sms/mms account using the Android VM. I've tried it but it seems to just return an empty folder.

what a jip. the android versions are free.
    sorry
    Last edited by falcon4ever; 05-17-13 at 06:20 PM.
    04-29-13 04:13 PM
    Hey Wu-wei,

this is a native BB10 app (cascades). I'm currently reading the data from the "sms-mms" account but I haven't tested if it would backup MMS messages (I'm guessing it will only grab the text part).

I haven't used a BlackBerry before BB10 so I am not familiar with the Desktop Manager format. If you have a sample file, I can see if I can add a reader/importer for that format as well.
    Good deal - like I said, once I opened my eyes I was pretty sure it was native. Oops.

I don't really have any need to restore ancient messages, but was curious about how the XML files are structured, in case I found a need for doing so in the future. If you'd prefer we can discuss XML structure via PM.

I'm curious about how this app would handle MMS...again, just a curiosity but I'm sure plenty of folks would like to be able to backup important conversations. I rely on SMS/MMS a great deal for cross-platform contacts and every so often I find myself searching for info that may or may not be gone forever.
    04-29-13 06:23 PM
    As a former Fixmo user on my 9900, I've been waiting for an app like this on BB10! Thanks so much!
    04-30-13 08:08 AM
    Good deal - like I said, once I opened my eyes I was pretty sure it was native. Oops.

I don't really have any need to restore ancient messages, but was curious about how the XML files are structured, in case I found a need for doing so in the future. If you'd prefer we can discuss XML structure via PM.

I'm curious about how this app would handle MMS...again, just a curiosity but I'm sure plenty of folks would like to be able to backup important conversations. I rely on SMS/MMS a great deal for cross-platform contacts and every so often I find myself searching for info that may or may not be gone forever.
    In my country (The Netherlands) MMS was never a success so that's why initially I was assuming that nobody would be using it. I'll see if I can add a backup & restore option for MMS as well to the app.

Feel free to e-mail me on the support address for other questions or suggestions.

As a former Fixmo user on my 9900, I've been waiting for an app like this on BB10! Thanks so much!
    You're welcome
    Last edited by falcon4ever; 05-17-13 at 06:21 PM.
    04-30-13 09:17 AM
    Bought this app yesterday prior to installing the new leaked OS. I'm very happy with how it performed - saved all my SMS and restored everything fairly quickly. As anticipated, it did not save any MMS messages, but that wasn't a surprise. The only issue I've noticed is that restored received messages don't show the sender's name. Not a big deal, since they're all in a conversation anyway...but I happened to notice that.
    05-02-13 08:31 AM
    Bought this app yesterday prior to installing the new leaked OS. I'm very happy with how it performed - saved all my SMS and restored everything fairly quickly. As anticipated, it did not save any MMS messages, but that wasn't a surprise. The only issue I've noticed is that restored received messages don't show the sender's name. Not a big deal, since they're all in a conversation anyway...but I happened to notice that.
    Thanks for your feedback Wu-Wei and reporting the bug!

I have prepared a fix and submitted a new build to BlackBerry World (v1.0.2), hopefully it will be approved soon. It will take care of the missing sender's name on received messages.

After upgrading SMS Backup to (v1.0.2) please complete the following steps to fix the missing sender's name:
    05-02-13 10:26 AM
    Thanks for your feedback Wu-Wei and reporting the bug!

I have prepared a fix and submitted a new build to BlackBerry World (v1.0.2), hopefully it will be approved soon. It will take care of the missing sender's name on received messages.

After upgrading SMS Backup to (v1.0.2) please complete the following steps to fix the missing sender's name:
    No worries...thank you for making this app! I looked at a couple of alternatives, and decided on yours because you use an XML file for backups. Once I have some time, I'll dig into the backup files and see how things are stored, in the event I decide I want to restore a few years' worth of archived messages.
    05-02-13 03:54 PM
    It would indeed be great if SMS from pre-bb10 backups could be imported. Link isn't too good at that.
    05-05-13 09:04 AM
    It would indeed be great if SMS from pre-bb10 backups could be imported. Link isn't too good at that.

Actually I believe when I migrated from a 9650 to the Z10, using the built-in device transfer feature in BB Link, it imported all the SMS conversations from my 9650 perfectly.

If you don't use "direct connect" and instead use a MicroSD card to transfer data from the old device to the new device, a bunch of data categories don't get transferred. You have to use the USB method.
    bombastic likes this.
    05-05-13 08:13 PM
    Hey all,

just pushed out a new update that is available now. If you imported your old text messages with the previous version, I highly recommend following the instructions below. That should take care of some minor issues.

Changelog 1.0.4

Added:
    - Feedback on missing permissions
    - Keep the screen awake (Previously the app would pause when the screenlocked was enabled automatically)
    - Clean up phone number on import (removes dashes and spaces). This should result in less broken conversations. (e.g. "xxx yyy zzzz" and "xxx-yyy-zzzz" willl become xxxyyyzzzz.)

Fixed:
    - Missing sender's name in the received message (conversation view)
    - Use the correct latest timestamp in message list
    - Use address field (Phonenumber) on unknown entries (Gets rid of the (Unknown) entries)
    - Typos in UI

After upgrading SMS Backup please complete the following steps to fix the missing sender's name and conversation timestamps:
    05-06-13 11:05 AM
    I wouldn't mind taking a look at older (hopefully unencrypted) backup files. Unfortunately I'm a former Android user/developer and don't have an old BlackBerry device that I can use for testing. If anyone wants to help me out on this, feel free to contact me on e-mail (support@epicwindmill.com) and I might be able to add this to a future release.
    05-06-13 11:21 AM
    would be great if you could back up to gmail...
    Mark_Venture likes this.
    05-16-13 12:24 AM
    Updated SMS Backup

Changelog for 1.0.5 - May 17, 2013

Added:
    - UI Improvements (Status feedback)
    - Improved import speed on large backup files
    - Application will now continue to import when it is running in the background (or when the screen is turned off
    - Requires new permission: Run When Backgrounded
    This version has some small tweaks to make importing a bit easier and faster. It now also allows you to turn off the screen or do other activities while importing the backup. This was added as some imports might take quite some time (i.e. one user wanted to import 100.000+ messages which takes hours...).

Next:
    For the next version I'll be working on adding MMS Support (MMS export is already working on a beta build) and attaching conversations to contacts if present. That should allow new SMS/MMS messages to append to existing conversations instead of creating new ones.

would be great if you could back up to gmail...
    You would like to see an option to e-mail the backup file to your gmail/email account straight from the app?
    05-17-13 07:09 AM
    Good idea... but should be free

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 07:27 AM
    Good idea... but should be free

Yeah, some people think everyone slaves at their work all day long just to give it away to self-entitled twits the world-over.

I suggest you donate your paycheck to charity.
    saxxman, Mel25, bombastic and 1 others like this.
    05-17-13 09:55 AM
    You would like to see an option to e-mail the backup file to your gmail/email account straight from the app?
    I would like to see the option to backup (or sync) to my Gmail account, and restore to phone.

Like SMS Backup+ ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/d..._result#?t=W10. ) does on Android.
    05-17-13 12:41 PM
    Yeah, some people think everyone slaves at their work all day long just to give it away to self-entitled twits the world-over.

I suggest you donate your paycheck to charity.
    Just saying that these types of functionality doesn't really warrant it to be a paid app. Developer can build a fan base and once a different kind of functionality is done then add a price to that, but that's just IMHO. You can voice out what you think. But be mature about it, and not like a hyprocrite.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 05:45 PM
    Just saying that these types of functionality doesn't really warrant it to be a paid app. Developer can build a fan base and once a different kind of functionality is done then add a price to that, but that's just IMHO. You can voice out what you think. But be mature about it, and not like a hyprocrite.

Posted via CB10
    I don't really think it is fair to start arguing whether it is fair or not to charge for an app that has this functionality. I agree with Omnitech on this.

I'm an independent app developer and actually make a living by creating small apps and games that cost a few bucks. It is up to the users to decide if they find my apps useful, are willing to pay for it and support me.

As usual:
    - Don't like it or don't need it? Don't buy it, I'm not forcing you...
    - Like it but would want to see more features? Request it and I might add it to the next version (updates are always free...)

I would like to see the option to backup (or sync) to my Gmail account, and restore to phone.

Like SMS Backup+ ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/d..._result#?t=W10. ) does on Android.
    Thanks for the link! I'll have to check the Google API to see how this can be done.
    Last edited by falcon4ever; 05-17-13 at 06:37 PM.
    bombastic likes this.
    05-17-13 06:19 PM
    Hello,
    Sorry for my english but I'm a french BlackBerry 10 user. I just want to know if data stored in XML export are UTF-8 encoded or other encoding specifications (due to special charaters in french like "" or "").
    Thanks for your answer.
    05-22-13 12:47 PM
    Hello,
    Sorry for my english but I'm a french BlackBerry 10 user. I just want to know if data stored in XML export are UTF-8 encoded or other encoding specifications (due to special charaters in french like "" or "").
    Thanks for your answer.
    I have some French speakers on staff that can help with translation if necessary.
    bombastic likes this.
    05-22-13 01:00 PM
198 123 ...