Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Secure AntiVirus Pro for Z10 and Q10

Hi All,

One of my goals as a developer has always been to even out the playing field. When I see an app for sale for 9.99, and no strong competitors, I can't help but feel like I need to do something about it .

With that said, I'm proud to announce Secure AntiVirus Pro for the Z10 and Q10!

What Is it?

This is an Antivirus for your BB10 device. Unlike competing apps, it actually does quarantine and deep scan your files.

Why do I need an antivirus?

The others don't want you to know this this. But your BlackBerry is perfectly safe! There is very little risk to your device and you absolutely do not need an antivirus. This app, at best, is a courtesy app. It helps protect your Windows PC by ensuring anything you download is safe.

Should I buy it?

This is entirely up to you. The price isn't free right now to recoup development time (it took about a month to build). But if you absolutely require the security for your device, this is many times cheaper than any other option.

As an added benefit, once this app reaches 1500 purchases - the application goes free and the source code goes open.

What about other platforms?

I currently have Android and iOS builds in progress. Oh yeah.

Disclaimer: This is my first shot at an Antivirus! I've done my best to outshine my competitors. But please let me know about bugs or suggestions --- and I will do everything I can to help .

Get it here:

Note: the link may not work on all cases as its still populating in bbry's servers.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/34092890

Secure AntiVirus Pro for Z10 and Q10-img_00000447.png

Posted via CB from my LE
    Last edited by KermEd; 09-15-2013 at 04:46 AM.
    Thanked by 10:
    Akuji_ism (09-04-2013),  ami.one (12-03-2013),  Azensun (09-06-2013),  jeroen_13 (08-17-2013),  Kris Simundson (08-16-2013),  r0v3rT3N (08-16-2013),  Renaudo Waite1 (08-16-2013),  rizdragon (12-17-2013),  STV0726 (08-16-2013),  tonyblaze (08-17-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    8,457 Global Posts
    PIN
    2ADC9E24

Amazing work as usual
    Device: BlackBerry Q10/Moto X
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1/iPad 16GB 2nd Gen​
    Twitter: @simundsonk
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Simundson View Post
    Amazing work as usual
    Why thank you kind sir.

Posted via CB from my LE
    CrackBerry Genius

You are great! Thank you for this!

Just a few questions/concerns...

1. With the code eventually going open source, doesn't that pose security risks in terms of circumvention/bypass exploits (not that malware would ever get that far on a BlackBerry device but just for argument sake)?

2. Where do the definitions come from? I presume this is entirely signature based as opposed to heuristic and behavior analysis based, which is fine for this purpose, right? And do you update the definitions on a server you host? How does that work?

3. Since there is almost certainly no confirmed malware for BlackBerry 10 right now, this mostly has Android definitions right now, correct?

4. And one final question which is more relevant to all: doesn't this have to be left open for real time protection? Or, is it just scan only?

Thank you so much for designing this app and very classy post about it. Competition is good.

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    Thanked by 2:
    KermEd (08-16-2013),  Rowan M (08-16-2013) 
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Ok,

Long answers coming because these are good tough questions. Sorry for the tl;dr.

Quote Originally Posted by STV0726 View Post

1. With the code eventually going open source, doesn't that pose security risks in terms of circumvention/bypass exploits (not that malware would ever get that far on a BlackBerry device but just for argument sake)?
    For the code, totally not worried. Typically I keep source code for secure applications 1 or 2 builds back.

But because the concept is fairly simple (enumerate files across the operating system depending on user options), decrypting as you go, and then comparing signatures --- its more of a learning point.

Staying a few versions ahead will let me keep secure hidden patches.

In all likelihood only the initial (current - simple) release will be open. Advanced scanning techniques, on launch, and eventual background scan would remain outside the community to make it harder to find loopholes.

I highly doubt we will reach the 1500 goal anyway . By then we would be on service pack 4 or so (based on Secure Browser release cycle).

To clarify the reason I want to open source some of this. I want someone to come along and build free alternatives. 9.99 is ridiculous (I know I'm venting ha) and I even feel guilty at my price point..

2. Where do the definitions come from? I presume this is entirely signature based as opposed to heuristic and behavior analysis based, which is fine for this purpose, right? And do you update the definitions on a server you host? How does that work?
    Great questions more people should ask.

Yes on all accounts. I used a custom heuristic method at first but found it ran so intensely the app appeared locked up. So instead, I modified it to only scan files below 100MB using a simpler technique for now. The definitions are using a common shared open source format - just a text file with:

Virus_Name_1=001122 ...
    Virus_Name_2=112233...

The first release only downloads from my server. But it has code to allow you to use any custom open source virus database on launch by dropping it in your Misc folder (instructions in help file) that will come in ver 2. So this way, you can really scan to your own preference.

This let's someone swap out a Windows intense definition file with an Android only definition file if they are, say, a mac user.

When it sees a file, you have the option to upgrade the definitions. Which then convert and are encrypted application side --- to keep them safe from hijacking.

The real complexity comes in around compressed file types - as some compression formats it can't read (i.e. .7zip)

I hesitate to provide the place I get them from as a source - just cuz it would give someone nefarious a location to check against his virus. But I will say it's from 3 locations.

Also. If it finds a virus, it links to online helpful a about the virus as well as giving you the option to lock it in the vault. This way you can look it up before locking.

It will never lock critical system files, but the ones it has access to, it can warn if they start looking funny.

3. Since there is almost certainly no confirmed malware for BlackBerry 10 right now, this mostly has Android definitions right now, correct?
    Another really good question.

Actually, mostly windows virii for the strings. Android being what it is, apps get installed to custom folders buried with restricted access where I can't touch them. I scan the misc/Android folder, but the real in depth scanning focuses on Windows exploits.

From a technical stand point it scans exploits from both. Android apps are treated as zip and part of the unarchive process, then scanned for malware. But only if the APK is accessible.

Regardless of all else - make sure you have a PC side scanner (even Microsoft Security) to scan APK files automatically. Most, if not all, antivirus these days PC side scan APK files. You want to scan it before install anyway.

4. And one final question which is more relevant to all: doesn't this have to be left open for real time protection? Or, is it just scan only?
    Good question. Right now it's scan only, I have put in a request for headless app support but we are waiting on RIM.

The next release will allow you to launch an app in the scanner, so being able to long press files to send to the scanner. It was acting funny in this release so it's disabled until it works "right".

Background scanning will be done by watching for new files in critical folders. And then periodic system scans for existing files. Those files will be cataloged and hash tagged including modify date. This way, we don't need to scan that file twice until something modifies it. This will be a toggle option for users who want to preserve battery life.

Thank you so much for designing this app and very classy post about it. Competition is good.
    No problem - glad to see someone asking the right questions.

Posted via CB from my LE
    Last edited by KermEd; 09-15-2013 at 04:48 AM.
    Thanked by:
    STV0726 (08-16-2013) 
    STV0726 likes this.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

I should disclaimer, this is my first kick at building an AV. So, I imagine it's going to morph quick as areas of improvement come forward (such as semi intelligent analysis).

There is a lightweight custom heuristic methodology I used in pre windows days when I last built an AV that will be implemented with the next update. But that remains a trade secret . It's kind of a complex fishing net.

Posted via CB from my LE
    Thanked by:
    STV0726 (08-16-2013) 
    STV0726 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Woah...wow...

You earned $1.99 just for those answers. Thank you so much!

I am very into security and networking and I can vouch and say confidently that your approach seems fantastic!

Kris Simundson likes this.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by STV0726 View Post
    Woah...wow...

You earned $1.99 just for those answers. Thank you so much!

I am very into security and networking and I can vouch and say confidently that your approach seems fantastic!

Thanks! I'll feel much better once I see it catch some more monsters in the wild.

I'm hoping once I push it out cross platform - the custom definitions will catch on a bit more.

The idea of giving users the control over their own security just seems critical to me.

In the next few weeks, I will be sacrificing a dev b to the virii. Validating it against as much malware as possible. This will be with the new "smart" virii hunter watch code.

Posted via CB from my LE
    Thanked by:
    sayf777 (08-17-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

Nice job, I think I will download it next week.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,121 Global Posts

Question:

If I have a decent Anti Virus on my pc would that eliminate the need for me to buy this app as the PC anti virus would alert me of any virus once it tried to go swimming from my phone to my comp?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by mr_zed10 View Post
    Question:

If I have a decent Anti Virus on my pc would that eliminate the need for me to buy this app as the PC anti virus would alert me of any virus once it tried to go swimming from my phone to my comp?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    In my opinion, I wouldn't use an AV app on BB10... crazy as that sounds from a developer.

But it would help if say you download something suspicious from your phone and connect it to a Windows PC with limited AV support.

More importantly if your AV went crazy on your PC, and you were worried the virus may be included on files on your phone, this could help close that loop.

Posted via CB from my LE
    Thanked by:
    mr_zed10 (08-18-2013) 
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Also, there is some delay when the AV j's running that makes the app a bit laggy. I have it improved in th upcoming update

Posted via CB from my LE
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Update is trickling out now. Major rework - should feel a heck of a lot better. Cheers.

Posted via CB from my LE
    CrackBerry User

After reading this thread, you got yourself a buy. Was asking myself from day one, if I needed an antivirus for a qnx based software and how is it possible that those maxx guys could do antivirus almost from day one...
    Great answers btw and I hope this app picks up to that 1k mark. GL

Hardcore BlackBerry er'
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Quote Originally Posted by YadHg View Post
    After reading this thread, you got yourself a buy. Was asking myself from day one, if I needed an antivirus for a qnx based software and how is it possible that those maxx guys could do antivirus almost from day one...
    Great answers btw and I hope this app picks up to that 1k mark. GL

Hardcore BlackBerry er'
    Thank you .

I have more updates coming. Unlike my other apps, I have to be more careful updating this one.

Right now I'm testing a smart 'AV watch', a deep scan... And some background scanning modes.

The AV watch is my favorite - its from my first antivirus in the pre windows days. Basically, it uses 'bait' files. If the file changes not only do we know something is wrong - but we can potentially capture the virus signature at the same time. Giving users the ability to catch and scan viruses before they even exist in a database.

Posted via CB from my LE
    CrackBerry User

Been scanning all night, and its going kinda slow. Is it supposed to be background process, cause it takes around a minute for each item scanned. I don't mind it, just curious. I imagine the second time and so forth would be faster, based on the description of the app.

Hardcore BlackBerry er'
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Quote Originally Posted by YadHg View Post
    Been scanning all night, and its going kinda slow. Is it supposed to be background process, cause it takes around a minute for each item scanned. I don't mind it, just curious. I imagine the second time and so forth would be faster, based on the description of the app.

Hardcore BlackBerry er'
    When it runs full screen it goes faster. When it's a background process it has to slow down to reduce battery drain and to allow the other apps to run properly

In the current version it does a full scan each time. But very shortly that is going to change (next update). That's where you can leave it open for a form of real time protection.

Posted via CB from my LE
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Bought the app. I had the other AV max whatever but I had it downloaded for free and now they ask for 10$ purchase... lol i much rather support a competent dev like you

Posted via CB10
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bourque View Post
    Bought the app. I had the other AV max whatever but I had it downloaded for free and now they ask for 10$ purchase... lol i much rather support a competent dev like you

Posted via CB10
    Thanks Dave that means a lot!

I did send this one out for BFB too you never know.

Posted via CB from my LE
    CrackBerry User

Hi everyone, I do have antivirus on my computer can use it to scan blackberry when it's connected and how efficient it is.

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    Banned

I have AVG sideloaded, how does this compare? as you know AVG is free

Posted via CB10
  22. Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

Quote Originally Posted by nnik View Post
    I have AVG sideloaded, how does this compare? as you know AVG is free

Posted via CB10
    Good question. AVG will keep your Misc/Android folder secure - sort of. Android apps normally run in the background of an Android phone to keep it secure, AVG doesn't really do that on BB10. It runs for a few minutes (like most android apps)

Unfortunately it can't do much for your BlackBerry itself as the Android runtime is sandboxed away from the BlackBerry environment for your device.

But if you use mostly Android apps and browsers like Dolphin (free Android apps basically) it certainly can help because it helps keep that sub environment secure.

Both Secure AV, and Max Security (presuming it actually works) scan your Android side as well- so they cover both. But anything is better than nothing - use AVG for sure.

Posted via CB from my LE
  23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

Quote Originally Posted by llcool View Post
    Hi everyone, I do have antivirus on my computer can use it to scan blackberry when it's connected and how efficient it is.

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    Sort of a complicated answer.

My professional opinion, your phone is safe from viruses. The only real risk you have is a bad PC infection that also gets to things on your phone (Dropbox etc) and you need a way to clean your phone after your PC is re imaged

Or you download stuff from your phones browser and u want to make sure it's clean before connecting your phone to your PC. And I imagine it's good to have a backup AV on your phone (trust your PC's AV, but this can help you verify)

The chances of getting a virus on your phone is very very very unlikely. These antivirus programs just help with downloads, to make sure nothing sneaky gets on your phone that would hurt your PC, and to scan for threats that are only theoretical at this point. It's for folks who really want to go the extra step and keep their device secure.

Posted via CB from my LE
    CrackBerry User

Tbh first, some of us bought this one specifically because as you can see the dev is very proactive and sincere with his answers and the blackberry loyalist , we support this kind of devs. Second even thou I have an antivirus on my computer, I personally use my phone as a everything device. It's my music player, external hdd, camera, etc. And being able to check on the constant file changing with an AV on board , to me is a peace of mind scenario. But at this moment there are no viruses for bb10, but if you do sideloading an AV might pick up that file that is probably giving problems if it happens to be some type of malware or something related.

Hardcore BlackBerry er'
    CrackBerry Abuser

So I purchased secure av based on the good discussions I have read here. I also own max security suite. Question: got my first scan with secure av, it said I had just over 1000 files to scan. It has also been running the scan for over 4 hours and is only half way through, and seems to be very, ahem, "thorough" with each file scanned. is this normally supposed to take this amount of time? And is that a lot of files to be scanned? Sorry about the newbish question I just don't know a lot about the internal workings of the phone yet...

Posted via SEGA master system
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast