Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40
Like Tree8Likes
  1. FortyTwoApps's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Picture Elements - 500px app for BlackBerry 10

    App Name: Picture Elements

    Summary:

    UPDATE: As of v1.2 now allows you to sign in under your 500px.com account and add comments, vote, and add photos to your favourites!

    500px is an online community for photographers to share their photos. The site hosts 6 million + photos (Thank you Wikipedia). Unfortunately, 500px doesn't have an official app for BlackBerry 10; however they do provide a great API for developers to take advantage of.

    Right now, you can use the app to browse photos by the same categories listed on 500px.com, and search as well. You can search by keyword, or by tags that the photographers can associate with their photos. You can view descriptions, and equipment info used for each photo, as well as browse comments left by others.

    One thing I'd like to mention, is that you don't have the ability to save any photos to your device, since many photos are for sale through 500px. You are able to browse the market, and if you bring up the context menu on a photo, you can open a link to the 500px.com page where you can get details on purchasing the photo if available (I encourage you to do so, as there are some really great works of art available.)

    The app is compatible with the Z10, Dev Alpha, and the Q10. If you do check it out, please provide me with any feedback, or improvements that could be made, since like I said, I'm in the process of making enhancements!

    Link to BlackBerry World Listing:
    BlackBerry World - Picture Elements


    Price: $0.99

    Picture Elements - 500px app for BlackBerry 10-img_00000061.jpgPicture Elements - 500px app for BlackBerry 10-img_00000067.jpgPicture Elements - 500px app for BlackBerry 10-img_00000062.jpgPicture Elements - 500px app for BlackBerry 10-img_00000063.jpgPicture Elements - 500px app for BlackBerry 10-img_00000033.jpgPicture Elements - 500px app for BlackBerry 10-img_00000031.jpgPicture Elements - 500px app for BlackBerry 10-img_00000065.jpgPicture Elements - 500px app for BlackBerry 10-img_00000066.jpgPicture Elements - 500px app for BlackBerry 10-img_00000064.jpgPicture Elements - 500px app for BlackBerry 10-img_00000068.jpg

    Picture Elements - 500px app for BlackBerry 10-img_00000003.pngPicture Elements - 500px app for BlackBerry 10-img_00000004.png
    Last edited by FortyTwoApps; 04-26-2013 at 01:09 AM.
    Thanked by 4:
    cferneyh (02-18-2013),  naviwilliams (02-18-2013),  noelito4three (02-13-2013) 
    cferneyh and Creaulx like this.
  2. cferneyh's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    87 Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Great app! I hadn't heard of 500px until I read this post but I spent some time on the site and found some great photos for my Z10 ' s wallpaper. I downloaded your app and I look forward to using it to do more browsing. Thanks!

    Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    FortyTwoApps (02-18-2013) 
  3. FortyTwoApps's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cferneyh View Post
    Great app! I hadn't heard of 500px until I read this post but I spent some time on the site and found some great photos for my Z10 ' s wallpaper. I downloaded your app and I look forward to using it to do more browsing. Thanks!

    Posted via CB10
    Hey thanks a lot, I really appreciate it! If you have time, I'd also appreciate it if you left a review of the app on BBWorld. Also, let me know if there is anything you'd be interested in seeing added to the app.
  4. cferneyh's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    87 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    I've left positive feedback for you.

    A couple of minor suggestions - it would be great if one of the sharing options was for the Evernote /Remember apps.

    Also, it would be great if when looking at the info screen for an image if I could click on one of the variables to get more images - for example, if I could click on Transportation and get more Transportation images, etc.

    But all in all, I love what you've done!

    Posted via CB10
  5. FortyTwoApps's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cferneyh View Post
    I've left positive feedback for you.

    A couple of minor suggestions - it would be great if one of the sharing options was for the Evernote /Remember apps.
    Thanks! Yeah, I had to wait until I got my hands on a Z10 to start on more sharing options. I'll see what I can do to include those in the next update.
    Quote Originally Posted by cferneyh View Post
    Also, it would be great if when looking at the info screen for an image if I could click on one of the variables to get more images - for example, if I could click on Transportation and get more Transportation images, etc.
    That's not a bad idea; though I'll have to think about how best to implement this without changing the layout/UI much. I can make the labels clickable, but then it isn't obvious that they're clickable, ya know?.

    I'll see what I come up with.
  6. #6  

    Default

    I specifically asked the dev if they were launching an app for BB10 in January, and they said that they had no plans to do so. I'm gonna go download it now. This was one of my most frequently used apps on my Nexus 4 before I sold it to get the Z10. Great news! Thank you!
  7. #7  

    Default

    I'd like to make 1 suggestion already after just purchasing it. Would it be possible for you to change the app name just to "500px"? I know that in BB world, you probably have to name it "unofficial" but can't you make the app in the launcher "500px"?

    - Also, could you please add account sign in so I can see who I'm following and comment?

    - Ability to save pictures

    - If it's not too much trouble, maybe you could have it cycle through the popular pictures in the active frames?

    Performance is blazing fast! Ironically, it's much faster than the official app on my Nexus 4 was, and evens lightly faster than on my iPad when opening photos :P Thanks!

    Edit: I just read the "About" section. I'd call them again and show them your BB10 app. I've contacted them before about making a BB10 app, and I'm sure a few others have as well. With that in mind, they're probably much more likely to accept you when they see your excellent work!
  8. FortyTwoApps's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InvalidUser0510 View Post
    I'd like to make 1 suggestion already after just purchasing it. Would it be possible for you to change the app name just to "500px"? I know that in BB world, you probably have to name it "unofficial" but can't you make the app in the launcher "500px"?
    I'll see what I can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by InvalidUser0510 View Post
    - Also, could you please add account sign in so I can see who I'm following and comment?
    This is coming in a future update. I might push out a smaller update before this though.
    Quote Originally Posted by InvalidUser0510 View Post
    - Ability to save pictures
    I was going to implement this from the start, but then I noticed the official app doesn't allow this, nor does their website allow you to download either unless you are buying a copy of it, so I opted to leave this out. This doesn't stop you from using your BlackBerry's screencap feature though.
    Quote Originally Posted by InvalidUser0510 View Post
    - If it's not too much trouble, maybe you could have it cycle through the popular pictures in the active frames?
    I was thinking of doing this as well, ut have it cycle through whatever category is currently being viewed.
    Quote Originally Posted by InvalidUser0510 View Post
    Performance is blazing fast! Ironically, it's much faster than the official app on my Nexus 4 was, and evens lightly faster than on my iPad when opening photos :P Thanks!
    I'm glad you like it! Hopefully I'll be able to push out an update with the above suggestions soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by InvalidUser0510 View Post
    Edit: I just read the "About" section. I'd call them again and show them your BB10 app. I've contacted them before about making a BB10 app, and I'm sure a few others have as well. With that in mind, they're probably much more likely to accept you when they see your excellent work!
    Thanks! That part, while true, was just a light hearted joke. Maybe in the future I'll apply to work there, but I already work as a mobile developer in my day job (I'm working hard to convince them to let me make BB10 apps!)
  9. #9  

    Default

    Thank you so much for answering all my questions! You've confirmed that you will implement every single feature I wanted (I understand why saving photos is out of the question, and your hint works great anyways ). Thank you so much! I hope sales are going well.
  10. FortyTwoApps's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

    Default

    Ok, so good news; bad news.

    Good news:
    An update was made available today in BlackBerry World, that includes some more sharing options, and active frames. You can enable/disable the active frames from the new settings page, as well as set the refresh interval of the active frame.

    Bad news:

    I pushed this update almost 3 weeks ago, and it was only approved today. I have a new update ready that allows you to sign in, comment, vote, and add to your favourites. I have one small thing I need to include in that update, and then it's good to go. So that update will be ready tonight. I was going to power through that last part last night, and upload the update to BBWorld, but I didn't. If I did, then you'd have an even better update today, but I thought "nahhh. They won't approve it by tomorrow."

    Hopefully, you won't have to wait another 3 weeks for this bigger update.
    Last edited by FortyTwoApps; 03-20-2013 at 09:37 AM.
  11. FortyTwoApps's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

    Default

    Good 'ol BlackBerry just approved the update I uploaded last night. So, you should see v1.2 pushed in BBWorld shortly.

    This update allows you to sign in under your 500px.com account, comment, vote, and add photos to your favorites.

    There's still more functionality on the way, and a little bit of UI cleanup, but I wanted to get this pushed ASAP.

    Oh, I also changed the name of the app to 500px (Unofficial) for no reason other than personal preference.
  12. #12  

    Default

    FortTwoApps, YOU ARE AWESOME!!. This update has been amazing! The only issue I'm having right now is that I can't tell who posted pictures. When clicking "info," the poster's name is never shown, so I have to open the picture in the browser. Just showing the name would be fine, since I don't think you can actually go into people's profiles even in the iOS/Android app.

    Anyways, great job! Definitely worth the money. I really hope more people will discover this app. I think Crackberry needs to really start promoting amazing developers like yourself, especially when they're making an app for a very major brand that refuses to make their own BB10 app!
  13. FortyTwoApps's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MyLastAccountWasBanned View Post
    FortTwoApps, YOU ARE AWESOME!!. This update has been amazing! The only issue I'm having right now is that I can't tell who posted pictures. When clicking "info," the poster's name is never shown, so I have to open the picture in the browser. Just showing the name would be fine, since I don't think you can actually go into people's profiles even in the iOS/Android app.

    Anyways, great job! Definitely worth the money. I really hope more people will discover this app. I think Crackberry needs to really start promoting amazing developers like yourself, especially when they're making an app for a very major brand that refuses to make their own BB10 app!
    Thanks for the awesome feedback!

    When you long press a photo, the title of the photo, and the user's username is at the top (Above the info, vote, fav etc. options) if you expand the context menu.

    I plan on changing the username shown to their first and last name if available, and default to the username if not. I'll do that this weekend, and it'll be in the next update.

    I'll also add the option to see the users profile. Same with people who leave comments. You'll be able to click on the comment, and it will bring you to their profile page, similar to your own user page. For the users who's photo you're currently viewing, it will probably be another context menu to navigate to their profile.
  14. cferneyh's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    87 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Just upgraded to the latest version. You are doing such a great job with this app. Thanks so much for your great work!!

    Posted via CB10
  15. FortyTwoApps's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

    Default

    Thanks everyone! Don't forget to rate the app if you haven't already. (good or bad!)
  16. #16  

    Default

    If I may suggest something to help increase interest/sales:

    Please add screenshots to the BB World listing (and update the ones on Crackberry). Also, try to see if Blaze will write a quick article for your app on Crackberry, as he tweeted it a while back. Good luck!

    *mods, please don't ban this account. I've sent a PM to the site admin. I'm not "posting unwanted spam"!!
  17. FortyTwoApps's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

    Default

    BBWorld doesn't seem to show screenshots after you've already installed an app, but they are there.

    I do plan on updating them, as well as the ones in the first post soon though. Probably as I work on the next update this week(end).

    As for a CB shoutout, that'd be great, but I'll leave that up to them (Hey Bla1ze, have I ever mentioned that I'm originally from Cape Breton? )
  18. magsasaka's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,031 Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Never visited 500px on desktop browser. Just heard it from you. But I'll going to download this since I love photography and this is a native app

    So go out there and make some more native up

    Posted via CB10
  19. magsasaka's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,031 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Got some suggestions. If you can render the image on thumbnail on a higher resolution or quality much better. When they are in thumbnail they tend to lose quality

    Posted via CB10
  20. FortyTwoApps's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magsasaka View Post
    Got some suggestions. If you can render the image on thumbnail on a higher resolution or quality much better. When they are in thumbnail they tend to lose quality

    Posted via CB10
    500px offers 4 different sizes I could use for images. The thumbnails use a smaller res version than the larger image to save on data download. If I change what image is used for the thumbnails, it'll be as a settings option, but since the images are cropped for the thumbnails anyway, it might not make much difference. But, if there is at least some difference, then I'll include it in the next update.

    On that note, I should be submitting a new update in the next couple of days. A couple of the changes include:

    • thumbnails won't wait until the very end of the listview to retrieve more images anymore. Now it will be scroll position based. (based on feedback left in a review)
    • Photos and ''Me' are now tabs, instead of 'Me' being part of Photos context menu
    • ability to see user details from the Large image context menu, or by clicking on a comment. (based on feedback in this thread)
    • Q10 optimizations
    • and maybe one or two other things


    If there are any other suggestions, let me know this week.
  21. #21  

    Default

    Thank you thank you thank you, 42. You're awesome! This next update is going to have everything I've wanted, especially #1, and #2 on your list!
  22. FortyTwoApps's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

    Default

    I aim to please

    And actually, to clarify about the tabs: the current plan is to have them in the left hand menu (like the CB app, or App world) since I want to put the search option on the bar for quick access when on the Photos tab, which isn't possible if I put the tabs on the bar.

    This also frees up the bar on the user page, if I decide to put something on there in the future.
  23. #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FortyTwoApps View Post
    I aim to please

    And actually, to clarify about the tabs: the current plan is to have them in the left hand menu (like the CB app, or App world) since I want to put the search option on the bar for quick access when on the Photos tab, which isn't possible if I put the tabs on the bar.

    This also frees up the bar on the user page, if I decide to put something on there in the future.
    Great idea! I find it sad that CB has not promoted your app at all considering how amazingly well done it is. P.s. How is the blackberry certification coming along?
  24. FortyTwoApps's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    152 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  

    Default

    Still pending.
  25. madx80h's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    261 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Hey,

    Does the app have th option to upload photos as well?

    Posted via CB10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. RDIO app for BlackBerry 10
    By beatsandlife in forum BlackBerry 10 Apps
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-02-2014, 09:20 PM
  2. Starbucks App for BlackBerry 10: WE NEED IT
    By sebastianlovestheplaybook in forum BlackBerry 10 OS
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 07-23-2013, 09:09 PM
  3. T-Moble posts My Account app for BlackBerry 10
    By Jonathank in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-02-2012, 07:03 PM
  4. CrackBerry.com App for BlackBerry 10
    By kdna in forum PlayBook Apps & Games
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-14-2012, 02:52 PM
  5. Hurricane Hub app for BlackBerry 10
    By chrisy520 in forum BlackBerry 10 OS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-10-2012, 10:08 PM

Posting Permissions