02-27-17 05:04 AM
153 12345 ...
tools
    This is what you wrote on the description on bbw:
    KeePassB 2 is a native BlackBerry 10 version of the multi-platform KeePass password manager.
    KeePass is a free open source password manager, which helps you to manage your passwords in a secure way.
    Which is not. KeePassB is not a BB10 version of KeePass, since you claim to have it written from scratch. If you wrote it from scratch, then it's not a KeePass version, so it should be more like this:
    Anmipo's password manager is a native BlackBerry 10 password manager, compatible with KeePass databases
    Regarding KPD, basically it's KeePassDroid source code, without any blackberry-specific code or skinning. I just forked and changed some strings in 5 minutes to change its name.
    https://github.com/Magneticdud/keepassdroid-bb10
    So people can choose between the original foss with no support whatsoever or your version with more support/fixes.
    I mean: KeePassB v1 is much more refined and you put a lot of work over it, so it's totally legit to get money from that. (Also even if you just copied and published, it's still allowed - search for "GL tron" on bbw and you see what i mean)

Regarding KeePassB v2: I'm excited that there's a native app that can read my kdbx files!!! Does it show notifications for fast access to the entry like the older one?
    09-30-14 08:06 AM
    Ok, I think replacing "version" with "port" will clarify any potential ambiguities. Moreover, this is the term used by the official KeePass site for unofficial applications.

Regarding KeePassB v2: I'm excited that there's a native app that can read my kdbx files!!! Does it show notifications for fast access to the entry like the older one?
    No, not really. Firstly, completing the core functionality (like write support) is currently of higher priority. Secondly, I feel reluctant to clutter the Hub with such temporary notifications, since BB10 makes it so easy to switch between apps. Finally, I have an idea how to make copying more convenient even without notifications; but this unfortunately will also take time...
    Smitty13 likes this.
    09-30-14 09:35 AM
    I'm not english but i feel that port it's even worse than version.

Actual example:
    KyPass 3 is an application for people with extremely high demands on secure personal data management.
    It uses the same database format than the open source software KeePass Password Safe.
    09-30-14 10:03 AM
    I'm not english but i feel that port it's even worse than version.
    I respect your opinion. Unfortunately, it is impossible to satisfy every single expectation, so I would rather stick with the common practice (i.e. KeePass website's term).

Actual example:
    KyPass 3 is an application for people with extremely high demands on secure personal data management.
    It uses the same database format than the open source software KeePass Password Safe.
    There is an inexplicable irony in getting a GPL infringement accusation followed by KyPass 3 put as an example of doing things right

KyPass' author admitted the use of Keepass library from MyKeepass (GPLv3). As can be seen in the AppStore screenshots, the app also uses the LGPL-licensed Nuvola icon set. These facts make KyPass a GPL-licensed application something that must be clearly acknowledged by the developers. However, they must have accidentally forgotten to mention this anywhere...
    Smitty13 likes this.
    09-30-14 11:31 AM
    Lol, I took a totally wrong example.... FAIL

Back in topic, can show custom icons to the entry? I like to have favicons as icons.
    09-30-14 01:14 PM
    Back in topic, can show custom icons to the entry? I like to have favicons as icons.
    Good point, I will add this to my to-do list.
    09-30-14 01:44 PM
    Any updates on editing support? Thanks for a great app btw. Easily one of my most used apps on BB10 and well worth the $2.99

Posted via CB10
    Dave XII likes this.
    10-19-14 08:48 PM
    Any updates on editing support?
    Yes, v1 (kdb) editing is implemented and being tested now. I plan to submit the update to BB World this week.
    Smitty13 likes this.
    10-20-14 09:10 AM
    Yes, v1 (kdb) editing is implemented and being tested now. I plan to submit the update to BB World this week.
    that's great to hear for those who still stick to V1 databases! Assume that at a later stage V2 editing will follow, right?

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 12:38 PM
    Yes, that's the ultimate goal. However, V2 format is much more complicated than V1 (more features, custom fields, data compression, in-memory protection, etc) so it will take some time...
    Dave XII and flyingsolid like this.
    10-20-14 03:56 PM
    As promised, KeePassB 2 with v1 (kdb) editing is now available in BlackBerry World.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	creation menu.png 
Views:	910 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	308753 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edit v3 entry.png 
Views:	910 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	308754

Saving a password database is a responsible task, as one tiny bug might break the whole database. Therefore, apart from extensive testing KeePassB 2 features two levels of backup.

Firstly, previous versions of any edited/removed entries can be found in the Backup group, just like in the original KeePass v1. So even if you accidentally press "Save" fear not, you can always get the original entry from the Backup group.

Secondly, before saving the database, KeePassB makes a timestamped copy of the original file. So even if there was a bug which made the database inaccessible you can always revert to the previous file (and report the problem). Clearly, this increased safety comes at the expense of increased memory usage, therefore there is a configuration option to disable database backup.

The backup option is enabled by default and I would highly recommend to keep it on at least for a few months. And then enable it again for v2 editing beta
    Attached Thumbnails KeePassB 2 - Native KeePass implementation for BlackBerry 10-password-generator.png  
    Dave XII and Smitty13 like this.
    10-23-14 11:31 AM
    I have an idea for user/password copying: Timing (maybe you already thought something like that)

After pressing the button, copy username, wait 10 seconds, blink blue LED to show now on clipboard there's the password.
    I think the hardest part of this is how to explain to users in a way that's not confusing
    10-23-14 12:35 PM
    I have an idea for user/password copying: Timing (maybe you already thought something like that)

After pressing the button, copy username, wait 10 seconds, blink blue LED to show now on clipboard there's the password.
    I think the hardest part of this is how to explain to users in a way that's not confusing
    I don't see a need for this. Buy a clipboard manager like 'Clipman'

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 01:05 PM

Thanks! Something like this would indeed be useful. Maybe system toast messages or global notifications instead of the LED would also make it more user-friendly. I have this in the list, but a bit below the kdbx writing
    10-23-14 04:27 PM
    I sponsored your app on the latest kpd update, because native is always better than android. I hope you get more customers

Name:	IMG_20141121_083304.png 
Views:	829 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	315923

Later I'll also write in the description something like "don't like android apps? Check out the native one"

Posted via Z10
    anmipo likes this.
    11-21-14 01:50 AM
    Magnetic_dud, thanks
    11-21-14 07:24 AM
    Thanks for the update, Andrei!

Name:	IMG_20141121_134645.png 
Views:	772 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	316005

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 12:48 PM
    Any updates on v2 database editing?

Posted via CB10
    Dave XII likes this.
    01-15-15 10:55 PM
    Well, it is under construction, but this is a big task and will take a while...

You see, unlike v1/kdb, v2/kdbx is a versatile extensible format. The database, groups and entries have quite a few additional properties in various formats. (I bet that 99% of KeePass users do not even know about these features; moreover, some of them are not even exposed via KeePass 2 interface.)

The current version of KeePassB simply skims through the database, extracts a few fields of interest (like usernames and passwords) and ignores everything else. This works fine for a read-only app, however an editing-capable app must read, parse and store every single field even if it is never shown in the user interface. If some field was skipped or parsed incorrectly, it would be stored so in the edited database and thus make the latter unusable for other KeePass apps.

So, v2 editing mainly depends on comprehensive v2 reading - and I am about 80% through it now. Then there will be some v2-specific UI building (which should be way more fun and fast), some testing/debugging - and hopefully the long-awaited release!
    01-16-15 04:07 PM

You see, unlike v1/kdb, v2/kdbx is a versatile extensible format. The database, groups and entries have quite a few additional properties in various formats. (I bet that 99% of KeePass users do not even know about these features; moreover, some of them are not even exposed via KeePass 2 interface.)

The current version of KeePassB simply skims through the database, extracts a few fields of interest (like usernames and passwords) and ignores everything else. This works fine for a read-only app, however an editing-capable app must read, parse and store every single field even if it is never shown in the user interface. If some field was skipped or parsed incorrectly, it would be stored so in the edited database and thus make the latter unusable for other KeePass apps.

So, v2 editing mainly depends on comprehensive v2 reading - and I am about 80% through it now. Then there will be some v2-specific UI building (which should be way more fun and fast), some testing/debugging - and hopefully the long-awaited release!
    Thanks again for all of your hard work. I know I sure appreciate the time and dedication you have put into this app!

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 06:52 PM

Wow that sounds like a lot of work, awesome app, keep up the good work!

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 08:04 PM

Thank you for all the work involved

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 11:48 PM
    Waiting For it

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 12:20 AM
    Thanks for all the support! Will keep on coding
    01-17-15 06:25 AM
    Good news, everyone!

Very soon KeePassB 2 will edit v2/kdbx databases. This took a lot of time because of many behind-the-scenes changes (also in the v1/v2 reading code). The update is ready, but before publishing it, I would like to run a small beta test to make sure everything works as expected.

If you already use KeePassB2 and are willing to partecipate, please email or PM me your BlackBerry ID email so that I include it in the approved testers list.

I would appreciate if you could install the update (see below) and try it in your normal KeePass routine: viewing, editing, synchronizing with desktop, etc. If you use any KeePass plugins, please check if they work correctly with KeePassB2-edited databases. Please email me about any errors or unusual app behavior.

How to install beta update:

1) Enable development mode (Settings - Security and Privacy - Development Mode)
    2) Open BB World, open Settings - Development Mode and enter "keepassb2" in the Content ID field. Make sure "keepassb2" is all in lower case, otherwise BB World won't be able to find the update.
    3) Press "Test Content" and then "Update" to install the test version 2.3.0.1.
    03-29-15 10:32 AM
153 12345 ...