Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast
Like Tree119Likes
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Battery Guru for BlackBerry 10

App Name: Battery Guru for BlackBerry 10

Summary: Super battery monitoring/logging app, with spiffy scrolling chart, power/voltage/temperature readings, and more!

Keeps a record of weeks or months of data, exporting to a CSV file for offline analysis. Planned future features include custom level alarms, specialized diagnostics tools, and more.

A long-time favourite utility on the PlayBook, Battery Guru is here now for BlackBerry 10. (Note: this is a separate product in BlackBerry World, and is not a free upgrade for existing PlayBook users. If you liked it on the PlayBook, you'll find this even more worthwhile on BB10!)

Link to BlackBerry World Listing: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/35712/

Price: $1.99

Screenshots:
    Battery Guru for BlackBerry 10-bbworld_ondevice.jpg

Battery Guru for BlackBerry 10-portrait.jpg
    (Note: the level alarms are not implemented in this version but will be added in the next main release.)

Battery Guru for BlackBerry 10-landscape.jpg
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    Thanked by 4:
    Blacklatino (06-17-2013),  dannejanne (04-26-2013),  jafobabe (05-16-2013),  twstd.reality (03-10-2013) 

I hope it's as good as the Playbook version.
    Unlocked Rogers Z10 STL100-3 10.2.1.2947 / Unlocked Bell Q10 SQN100-1 10.2.1.2947
    peter9477 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    627 Global Posts

Definitely will be downloading this. Exactly the kind of app ive been waiting for. All of the other battery apps really are useless

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry Playbook 32GB + Blackberry Z10 on Rogers
    peter9477 likes this.

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Lendo78 View Post
    I hope it's as good as the Playbook version.
    Functionally, it has everything the PlayBook one has except that BB10 doesn't appear to support the recharge count (cycle count). I've included that in the Diagnostics page but there's a note (tap on the little circled-i icon to see it) which points out that it's currently pretty useless. I expect either the OS will support this at some point or, once we have "headless app" support, I'll just implement my own cycle counter.

It also finally exposes the temperature as an on-screen reading (the PlayBook version had that only in the CSV export file), as well as the OS-provided "time to empty" and "time to full" values. The graph is improved, being scrollable and expanding to show more data in landscape mode. It will only get better too... maybe pinch-to-zoom, and definitely "momentum" scrolling at some point.

There's an active frame as well, so certain key readings are always visible when you want them without maximizing the app again.

With BB10 and the Cascades SDK, improving the app will also be far easier and faster than it was for me on the PlayBook, so expect to see ongoing incremental improvements this time. The app is built using the BlackBerry-Py Project, which means the non-UI code is in Python, a highly productive way for me to program.

Be sure to open the Help menu at the top and read what you find there, since it provides important detail on some of the less obvious aspects of the app, as well as a handy-dandy "Leave Review" button. ;-)

And a big Thank You to everyone who has purchased it today, and those who've made highly positive comments here and elsewhere. BlackBerry users are such nice people! :-)
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Thanked by:
    Admorris (04-03-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Finally! Now we can start having a serious conversation about battery usage with metrics that matter. Thanks Peter.

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Thanks everyone for the favourable early reviews!

I notice one that wonders about changing "the metric setting of the temperature".

Actually it uses the metric/imperial setting (under Language and Input in the System Settings) to determine whether to display degrees C or F. Is this not sufficient? I've never really considered before whether the choice of temperature units is typically coupled to the measurement system for other things. If someone can describe for me (preferably in an email) a situation where this isn't appropriate for you, I'd appreciate it.

(Another review suggests a more graphically pleasing active frame, and that's definitely on the todo list already, thanks. :-) )

Already downloaded and it's great. Masterfully done. Exactly what I needed.

Posted via CB10 on my B@d@ss Z10
    Unlocked Rogers Z10 STL100-3 10.2.1.2947 / Unlocked Bell Q10 SQN100-1 10.2.1.2947
    Thanked by:
    peter9477 (03-08-2013) 
    Resident CrackBerry Wizard

Global Posts
    15,005 Global Posts

Just downloaded this, glad it's made the jump from PlayBook - looking forward to the update.

Posted via CB10
    Posted from my awesome QNX powered Q10 or my penguin powered laptop

My Channel: Geeks United C00122408
    peter9477 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    BB10QNX

Thanks! exactly what I've been waiting for!
    Worth the money!

CB10 App, Z10
    peter9477 likes this.

It's the only app I leave open all the time :P

Global Posts
    15,005 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peter9477 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the favourable early reviews!

I notice one that wonders about changing "the metric setting of the temperature".

Actually it uses the metric/imperial setting (under Language and Input in the System Settings) to determine whether to display degrees C or F. Is this not sufficient? I've never really considered before whether the choice of temperature units is typically coupled to the measurement system for other things. If someone can describe for me (preferably in an email) a situation where this isn't appropriate for you, I'd appreciate it.

(Another review suggests a more graphically pleasing active frame, and that's definitely on the todo list already, thanks. :-) )
    I happen to like the current active frame, but would like better indication of battery charging - for example, the bar that tells you the batter is charging could change colour from say read to green. Take a look at BatteryInfo to see what I mean Peter.

Posted via CB10

It can only get better from here.

Posted via CB10 on my B@d@ss Z10

Global Posts
    15,005 Global Posts

Finally able to work out if my battery or power management chip is faulty - thanks Peter.
    Right, off to leave a review.

Posted via CB10

peter9477 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    50251ACB

I like this guys' programs and he is a very responsive dev...We need to clone him a few hundred times

This one is another excellent program!
    peter9477 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    627 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tinker2000 View Post
    I like this guys' programs and he is a very responsive dev...We need to clone him a few hundred times

This one is another excellent program!
    Agreed! I am very pleased with both the quality of the app and the availability of the dev. By far the best battery app available!

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry Playbook 32GB + Blackberry Z10 on Rogers
    peter9477 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

Will this app detect the amount current and/or voltage coming from the micro usb port on the phone? It would be useful to see what kind of current is coming through to your phone when troubleshooting why the phone does not charge or charging slow.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Master

Default Re: Battery Guru for BlackBerry 10

this was one of two apps I've been checking bbw for everyday. glad it's finally here and I can actually see what my battery is somewhat doing now.

peter, I have a question though. it looks like the % is always off by 2 for me when compared to what is shown in settings. I downloaded another battery app and it shows exactly what guru shows. have you seen this before? any thoughts?

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

Quote Originally Posted by twstd.reality View Post
    peter, I have a question though. it looks like the % is always off by 2 for me when compared to what is shown in settings. I downloaded another battery app and it shows exactly what guru shows. have you seen this before? any thoughts?
    It's possible they adjust the value shown in the settings for some reason. Or is it possible it simply updates so infrequently that it shows stale values? Mine shows 5% right now when Battery Guru shows 4%... except as I typed this the value in Battery Guru went to 3% while the Settings value is still at 5%.

My guess is that since Settings is still an AIR app they rate-limited its updates.

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    twstd.reality (03-10-2013) 

this was one of two apps I've been checking bbw for everyday. glad it's finally here and I can actually see what my battery is somewhat doing now.

Ok you can't do that... leave us in suspense... What's the other app? LOL
    CrackBerry Master

Ok you can't do that... leave us in suspense... What's the other app? LOL
    hahaha but this thread's about battery guru.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by peter9477 View Post
    It's possible they adjust the value shown in the settings for some reason. Or is it possible it simply updates so infrequently that it shows stale values? Mine shows 5% right now when Battery Guru shows 4%... except as I typed this the value in Battery Guru went to 3% while the Settings value is still at 5%.

My guess is that since Settings is still an AIR app they rate-limited its updates.

Posted via CB10
    makes sense. though sometimes the settings dialog will show 0% and battery guru shows 2%. hmmmmm.

edit: nm just realized it could work both ways. one updating faster than the other
    Last edited by twstd.reality; 03-10-2013 at 05:01 PM.

hahaha but this thread's about battery guru.
    That's just not nice
    CrackBerry Master

That's just not nice
    LOL

[spoiler]just a music player, neutron mp. I have both running 24/7[/spoiler]
    Last edited by twstd.reality; 03-10-2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: apparently spoiler tags don't work?
    CrackBerry Addict

Four small feature requests for the future versions:

1. Percentage of battery consumed per hour from the last point of removal of device from charging irrespective of whether the device was fully charged or not.
    2. Display on time, total time running from the last point of removal of device from charging.
    3. Battery percentage when the device was removed from charging.
    4. Call time both incoming and outgoing from the point of removal of device from charging.

Posted via CB10

Global Posts
    15,005 Global Posts

Peter, I've a friend using Battery Guru who was told by the app his battery would take 60hrs to charge - is that normal?
    Occasionally I'm told I've 102hrs of use left - again, is that normal?

Would you be willing to join my Z10 Battery Research Group on BBM?

Posted via CB10

Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast