My Incredible's software pushed an update. Now my gmail doesn't come to my phone, but it comes to my Mac at home. There's an option in Setup to set a MS Exchange account, and I tried to go that with my gmail address and gmail PW, but it doesn't register on the phone. What is a Microsoft exchange account, I never used/wanted one before. Do I need one to have my gmail synch to my phone now, I never did before. If so how do I get a password that works? The whole android update has been a mess, I think Verizon did this to me, and it's pissing me off. I just want to get my gmail sent to the phone. My ringtones were all erased too. Heeeeelp! (and thanks for help).
    11-21-11 06:47 PM
    when you log in with your gmail account during the setup that creates the gmail account on your phone. You just have to click on the gmail icon to open the mail
    11-21-11 06:53 PM
    Microsoft Exchange is a mail server for businesses.

That being said, if its not a phone provided by an employer ignore it.
    11-21-11 07:02 PM
    you can also set hotmail up via activesync/exchange. Its not just for businesses
    11-21-11 07:06 PM
    Huh? Are you saying non business users use MS Exchange or that you can use the Exchange option to setup gmail.

Sorry I am not familiar with Android phones.
    11-21-11 08:32 PM
    I just finished a lovely half hour with Verzon CS. It seems that when the manufacturer (HTC) pushed the android OS update to the phone (they don't ask they just push in the middle of the night) there were "glitches", and many users had "problems" with their phones (in my case the gmail wouldn't work). My ringtones were all set to default, the RTs that I had made were erased, the pix on the 8gb phone storage gone. So to fix that I had to wipe/restore the freaking phone to factory settings. All the free apps were erased. Restore contacts via Verizon's backup. Well at least gmail works now. Honestly, I would never have agreed to an update if they had given my a choice. All I can say is this: iPhone here I come!!!!
    11-22-11 10:42 AM
    Huh? Are you saying non business users use MS Exchange or that you can use the Exchange option to setup gmail.

Sorry I am not familiar with Android phones.
    Hotmail and Gmail can be set up as exchange accounts without you needing an actual exchange account.

Google and MS have it set up that way.
    11-22-11 12:35 PM
    Hotmail and Gmail can be set up as exchange accounts without you needing an actual exchange account.

Google and MS have it set up that way.
    That's a pretty confusing sentence if you read it again. What I think of when I see "exchange account" is an enterprise server situation (Blackberry had those). That allows an employer to push calendar and contacts to people's phones. I have no need for that. I realize that Gmail can be set up as exchange account, but noone has explained the benefit of that. I'll have nothing to do with Microsoft's Hotmail. I want as little to do with MS as possible. And as just a comment, CB has become a website that "hangs" a lot now. It's pretty slow to load. That must have something to do the all the ads and banners that have to load. It's getting to be a pretty bloaty site now. Oh well.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 11-22-11 at 01:30 PM.
    11-22-11 01:28 PM
    That's a pretty confusing sentence if you read it again. What I think of when I see "exchange account" is an enterprise server situation (Blackberry had those). That allows an employer to push calendar and contacts to people's phones. I have no need for that. I realize that Gmail can be set up as exchange account, but noone has explained the benefit of that. I'll have nothing to do with Microsoft's Hotmail. I want as little to do with MS as possible. And as just a comment, CB has become a website that "hangs" a lot now. It's pretty slow to load. That must have something to do the all the ads and banners that have to load. It's getting to be a pretty bloaty site now. Oh well.
    It is not confusing at all. If you use Gmail or Hotmail you have all the benefits of exchange without needing to purchase an exchange server.

You have Contacts, Email, Calendar all push. Using the Gmail app on an Android device with a Gmail account automatically does this (you can go into your sync options and disable features as well). There is no need to setup through exchange options.
    11-22-11 01:38 PM
    I see. Because I started using gmail and the android phone at the same time I thought everyone used the Gmail app. Now my wife has an iPhone, so she doesn't use it. But she uses iCloud and I think that's like exchange in that it pushes whatever you want (email, calendar, reminders, documents, photos, etc) to all devices on you account. I just want gmail sent to the phone and the Mac and that works (now).
    11-22-11 04:03 PM
    I see. Because I started using gmail and the android phone at the same time I thought everyone used the Gmail app. Now my wife has an iPhone, so she doesn't use it. But she uses iCloud and I think that's like exchange in that it pushes whatever you want (email, calendar, reminders, documents, photos, etc) to all devices on you account. I just want gmail sent to the phone and the Mac and that works (now).
    Yep iCloud is exchange-like. It pushes the same things. I have Gmail setup through exchange on my iPhone so it pushes all of those things.
    11-22-11 04:55 PM
    Yep iCloud is exchange-like. It pushes the same things. I have Gmail setup through exchange on my iPhone so it pushes all of those things.
    How do you do that, via you Google account page? Thanks.
    11-22-11 05:13 PM
    How do you do that, via you Google account page? Thanks.
    No it is set up right from my iPhone. When I went to add a mail account, I picked the Exchange option and set it up that way. Picking the normal Gmail option is just IMAP and no push.

These are the directions for the iPhone.

Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device - Google Mobile Help
    11-22-11 05:21 PM
    Thanks. What continues to confuse me about this while using an iPhone is that if my wife (who uses gmail exclusively, and has google contacts synched to her iPhone) uses Google synch then what should she do with iCloud? And because the iPhone has its own email, address book, and calander applications does Google synch reach into those apps and make calendar changes, contact changes after it's set up as your link describes? I also get confused because on the Add Account screen it says choose Microsoft Exchange and it's actually a gmail account that she wants to use (there's also a Google Mail choice on that screen). I know that her emial is getting pushed to her iphone and to her iPad and she didn't choose Microsoft Exchange in her setup. I feel like I'm missing something in the whole synch concept.
    11-23-11 10:00 AM
    Thanks. What continues to confuse me about this while using an iPhone is that if my wife (who uses gmail exclusively, and has google contacts synched to her iPhone) uses Google synch then what should she do with iCloud? And because the iPhone has its own email, address book, and calander applications does Google synch reach into those apps and make calendar changes, contact changes after it's set up as your link describes? I also get confused because on the Add Account screen it says choose Microsoft Exchange and it's actually a gmail account that she wants to use (there's also a Google Mail choice on that screen). I know that her emial is getting pushed to her iphone and to her iPad and she didn't choose Microsoft Exchange in her setup. I feel like I'm missing something in the whole synch concept.
    Newt think of GMAIL (Exchange) like this. On the iPhone you have iCloud which is basically the same as what gmail and android did. Contacts, Calendars and Mail live in the could and are kept in sync real-time. Change a contact on the phone it changes in the cloud.

Now those of us that had an android device and switched to the iPhone did this. We connect to our gmail accounts by using the Exchange setup on the iPhone. iCloud came after the fact that we could do it though gmail.
    11-23-11 11:03 AM
    OK thanks, they do the same thing. I guess if you have Apple hardware you're better off using iCloud because it interacts with the built in Apple calendar, contacts, reminders, etc. Even though you still use gmail you would sort of take the calendar and contacts out of the picture, and just use the email account. The thing Apple really pimps you with to get you to use iCloud is the photoshare feature.
    11-23-11 02:17 PM
    Yeah I use iCloud for backup purposes and keep everything synched with my gmail account. It was already setup from my Android days and was just easier than porting everything over.
    11-23-11 02:25 PM
    iCloud is just there, you can turn it off if you have no use for it.

I don't use it at all. I don't even use the Wireless Backup feature. I use Gmail for all my PIM options.

I don't know about your wifes setup, but I have been using this setup since the iPhone 3G. Always running it through Exchange. Maybe that is not needed anymore but I'm not going to change it because it works perfectly as is.
    11-23-11 02:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD