The earpiece is really quiet, forget about hearing anyone in a restaruant or on a busy street. The ringtone and speakerphone are also a joke.

I haven't bought an HTC phone in a long time, but I can tell nothing has changed with them. They have always been known for having low speakers but come on, its 2010!!

I love the phone other than that, but this is a dealbreaker for me
    03-29-10 08:46 PM
    Guess that is the price we pay for having a phone so thin in design.

My speaker sounds like crap, forget the volume. I'm wondering if others have this issue. If not, I'll definitely exchange mine.

Also, I believe their are ways to increase volume through "rooting". I'm unsure, but I could have sworn I saw someone mention that.
    03-29-10 08:58 PM
    I have the same problem. It's not just your phone. I've also seen a few threads over on other android forums where people were talking about this.
    03-30-10 07:42 AM
    That's incredible for such a touted device. That would make using it in my rig next to impossible. Good to know such things, thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-10 08:12 AM
    That's incredible for such a touted device. That would make using it in my rig next to impossible. Good to know such things, thanks!

This is a suprise; and yes thanks very much for passing the info along...
    03-30-10 08:24 AM
    Yeah it's nice to hear this kind of stuff before we go out and cough up the dough for these devices. This is the first time I have heard of this. Thanks guys, for being honest! Now I just need to find out exactly how bad it is, and if it happens on all HTC phones as it sounds like it might, or not...I was looking at the HTC Desire if it ever comes to AT&T. Or, jumping ship to HTC EVO 4G from Sprint. Both are HTC devices, so I wonder now if they'll have this sucky volume problem...
    03-30-10 09:47 AM
    Yes, the speaker is abysmal on my N1... Makes me angry!

But EVEN MORE ANGRIER that like a MONTH after they release the N1 they release a 3G compatible version for AT&T.

03-30-10 09:58 AM
    I have the droid eris and the sreaker rocks! you may have a defect.
    03-30-10 10:29 AM
    That totally applies to the Nexus One! You may be posting in the wrong thread.
    03-30-10 10:39 AM
    I have the droid eris and the sreaker rocks! you may have a defect.
    I think he may have been giving us hope that all HTC's dont have bad volume.....
    03-30-10 11:45 AM
    Yes, the speaker is abysmal on my N1... Makes me angry!

But EVEN MORE ANGRIER that like a MONTH after they release the N1 they release a 3G compatible version for AT&T.

Price to pay for being an early adopter I would point out that the AT&T compatible one was being talked about before they released the Tmo version, and it ran through the FCC not too long after that...

03-30-10 12:01 PM
    Guess that is the price we pay for having a phone so thin in design.

My speaker sounds like crap, forget the volume. I'm wondering if others have this issue. If not, I'll definitely exchange mine.

Also, I believe their are ways to increase volume through "rooting". I'm unsure, but I could have sworn I saw someone mention that.
    yeah it's not just you. The speaker on the N1 sucks. It's the one thing I really miss about my Bold 9000. Those premium stereo speakers were fantastic. Hopefully the next nexus will address this issue. but yeah the form factor of this device makes up for it, imo. still I think they can do better.
    Last edited by Marine One; 03-30-10 at 12:29 PM.
    03-30-10 12:26 PM
    ahhh, nothing is perfect
    03-30-10 12:43 PM
    I'm sorry to hear that (no pun intended). That's a dealbreaker for me. My intuition says wait for the Incredible on Verizon, maybe there's a reason for that. My wife's Droid speaker is excellent.
    03-30-10 01:07 PM
    Same here but I adjust the way I hold the phone and it works great now, volume for ringtones vary with the tone
    03-30-10 03:52 PM
    thank god i read this thread before ordering mines! now im back in the boat of either nexus/3GS.
    03-31-10 02:48 AM
    Just wait for the next iphone
    03-31-10 08:39 AM
    ^*Tries to hold back the laughter*
    edit: Though I shouldn't be laughing, what with still owning a BB.
    Last edited by Jonneh; 03-31-10 at 01:27 PM.
    03-31-10 08:56 AM
    i plan on trying that out too, but thats all the way till late june early july.
    03-31-10 12:23 PM
    I would go with a jailbroken 3g phone if you're on tmobile, I was able to purchase a 16gb 3g for $250 back in december, used it for for a few months LOVED being jailbroken & unlocked on local carrier. Jailbreaking and customization was FUN, only problems were battery life & no 3g service. Using edge will get the job done, when the iphone comes out I may switch depending on where it goes....
    Traded the 3g for the Nexus one! N1 for only $250 is worth it, still on same carrier and same plan at $50 500 min, unlimited text/data plus I get 3g service which is nice..
    03-31-10 03:26 PM
    yeah it's not just you. The speaker on the N1 sucks. It's the one thing I really miss about my Bold 9000. Those premium stereo speakers were fantastic. Hopefully the next nexus will address this issue. but yeah the form factor of this device makes up for it, imo. still I think they can do better.
    I'm not going to lie, but I feel the same way. Although I shouldn't, but damnnnnn, I love holding this device. I don't use the speaker that much either, unless I'm in the car driving.
    03-31-10 07:43 PM
    I liked the track ball on my curve, but it was for the lack of a touch screen. The nexus getting a track ball seemed weird. I had an HTC Eris, and the speaker sucked too. If I was at a gathering of any sorts, I would often miss calls. I don't buy in, that HTC cannot improve on these design flaws in the nexus, and the Eris. The Motorola droid is plenty thin and has the loudest speaker on the market that I have heard. The nexus is right in so many ways though, and I am saddened a little that they didn't remove the track ball, and are using low end speakers. I won't make excuses for them, they can improve, just like every mobile phone can be improved. I would pass on any phone that I couldn't hear amongst life's clamors. That is why I got rid of the Eris, though I miss the form factor at times (especially now that I have speech to text).
    03-31-10 10:52 PM
    I dont think the volume on the Nexus one is TERRIBLE. It is definitely not the best one out there but imho is not that terrible. My 3gs' volume was worst than the nexus one (and i had a few 3gs' so I know it was not an issue with just the one I had) so maybe thats why it doesn't seem that bad 2 me. The call quality has also improved, everyone tells me that they can hear me much better now.
    04-04-10 03:04 PM
    Would the Verizon nexus one have these Same problems, or would they improve this in later models?

04-04-10 03:37 PM
    The Droids speaker is really load and clear. Sometimes instead of listening to music through the speakers of my MacBook Pro I just play it through my Droid.

04-04-10 04:48 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD