For those of you with Droids, N1s, or even G1s, download and install CyanogenMod 5.0.7.1 and download a different launcher (i.e. Launcher Pro Beta). At stock speed, your phone will be very fast.

Before I switched to this CM ROM, I was using Bugless Beast v1.0 which is already a very fast and stable ROM but this new CM w/Launcher Pro beta just beats it.

Here's a video showing it on the Motorola Droid.
    Last edited by fearmychickens; 06-04-10 at 08:35 AM.
    05-29-10 03:17 PM
    I've been hearing a lot about Dominator 3.0, a JIT enabled rom, so I'm loading it now to check it out.

Was using BB 1.1 which is very smooth and fast for me. I was a CM user, but CM roms always get slow and laggy after a while for me.
    05-29-10 03:38 PM
    I've been hearing a lot about Dominator 3.0, a JIT enabled rom, so I'm loading it now to check it out.

Was using BB 1.1 which is very smooth and fast for me. I was a CM user, but CM roms always get slow and laggy after a while for me.
    Yeah and I think that's mostly because of the launcher used in it. CM was always slower than BB for me until I downloaded Launcher Pro beta today which sped everything up. It's faster than BB now.
    05-29-10 03:39 PM
    I was using the BB 1.0 without any problems and now on BB 1.1 which is fast. They seem to be pretty stable and very responsive.
    05-29-10 04:16 PM
    I was using the BB 1.0 without any problems and now on BB 1.1 which is fast. They seem to be pretty stable and very responsive.
    They are but if you try CM 5071 with Launcher Pro then I think you'll like it even more. The one reason I use CM is because of Apps2SD.
    05-29-10 04:21 PM
    I don't feel a need for Apps2SD yet, just tried Dominator 3. It seemed pretty fast, but I got a FC in Launcher 2, and the temps didn't seem to be as low as claimed by other users.

Went back to BB 1.1, I like Pete's script to remove all ads from the browser and apps.
    05-29-10 04:55 PM
    I don't feel a need for Apps2SD yet, just tried Dominator 3. It seemed pretty fast, but I got a FC in Launcher 2, and the temps didn't seem to be as low as claimed by other users.

Went back to BB 1.1, I like Pete's script to remove all ads from the browser and apps.
    I don't really feel a need for Apps2SD neither but I like to keep it there as peace of mind, not to mention CM with this launcher is blazing fast - way better than the slow and sluggish launcher that came stock with it.
    05-29-10 05:07 PM
    Even if the launcher is fast, the reason I run OC'd to 800 Mhz on BB is for faster browser performance. If CM needs to be OC'd to similar speeds for browser performance, I see no need to switch from BB 1.1.

Also, I found that CM roms run hotter than BB with Bekit's LV kernels.
    05-29-10 05:11 PM
    Even if the launcher is fast, the reason I run OC'd to 800 Mhz on BB is for faster browser performance. If CM needs to be OC'd to similar speeds for browser performance, I see no need to switch from BB 1.1.

Also, I found that CM roms run hotter than BB with Bekit's LV kernels.
    Yeah, they do run a little hotter. But then again, I always leave my Droid at 550MHz because it's already fast.
    05-29-10 05:14 PM
    Yeah, they do run a little hotter. But then again, I always leave my Droid at 550MHz because it's already fast.
    Same here, I have the SetCPU widget on my homescreen and leave it at 550 Mhz. The only time I bump up to 800 Mhz is when I'm on the browser.
    05-29-10 05:16 PM
    JIT is not stable in 2.1, but in 2.2 it makes the phones 6x faster.
    05-29-10 05:47 PM
    I am not rooted, but tried the launcher pro beta, and it is smoother than helix, and stock home launcher. I heard of people over clocking to 1.2 GHz on the droid, rooted....crazy!
    05-29-10 06:32 PM
    I started out with BB and then went to CM after 5.071, I just decided to switch back. I cannot believe how much faster BB is over CM.

CM always worked well but I am sticking with BB for now.
    05-29-10 08:52 PM
    I wish there was a way to change the bottom four options in Launcher Pro. To have both phone & contacts is a waste of a spot since contacts is easily selected from the phone screen at the top. I use Gmail a LOT so I would much rather have that instead of a Contacts short cut. I can live with the rest the way they are but would prefer being able to customize this more. For this reason I use Helix Launcher as it allows me to do just this at the expense of slightly slower scrolling. Just wish my phone was smoother/faster w/o giving this up.
    06-04-10 12:45 AM
    ADW launcher kills helix and launcher pro. Way more customisable, and it is free in the market place!
    06-04-10 01:09 AM
    I wish there was a way to change the bottom four options in Launcher Pro. To have both phone & contacts is a waste of a spot since contacts is easily selected from the phone screen at the top. I use Gmail a LOT so I would much rather have that instead of a Contacts short cut. I can live with the rest the way they are but would prefer being able to customize this more. For this reason I use Helix Launcher as it allows me to do just this at the expense of slightly slower scrolling. Just wish my phone was smoother/faster w/o giving this up.
    I'm sure we'll have this option soon. I mean this launcher came out around 3 weeks ago and the dev already updated it.
    ADW launcher kills helix and launcher pro. Way more customisable, and it is free in the market place!
    I've never used those launchers but from what I read on droidforums, nothing beats Launcher Pro.
    06-04-10 08:37 AM
    ADW is the best one I have used so far. LauncherPro was a little buggy for me, and Helix didn't like Goggles on my phone.
    06-04-10 09:23 AM
    ADW is the best one I have used so far. LauncherPro was a little buggy for me, and Helix didn't like Goggles on my phone.
    I think it's because you have a Moment. Launcher Pro (and maybe Helix) was probably designed to run on higher end Android phones. And I'm basing it on this because it runs perfect on the Droid and N1 right now.
    06-04-10 09:30 AM
    Helix ran great until I put Goggles on. And 800mhz, to me isn't that low end.

I think LauncherPro had more to do with the ROM I was running. I have it running now on my phone and it is running pretty nice, for now.
    06-04-10 10:18 AM
    I love launcherpro. I'm running BB v1.1 OC'd to 1.2ghz and my droid is very snappy and smooth. Seems to be a two horse race with launchers if you value performance over graphics, ADW and Launcherpro are your choices.
    06-04-10 11:10 AM
    I'm sure we'll have this option soon. I mean this launcher came out around 3 weeks ago and the dev already updated it.

I've never used those launchers but from what I read on droidforums, nothing beats Launcher Pro.
    I have launcher pro, helix, and AWD launcher installed and have used them all. Trust me, just try AWD launcher, and then when you have it running go into settings.....it is way better than pro and helix, so many more customizations, and I think it runs way smoother then pro. Don't take my word for it, try it for yourself
    06-04-10 12:56 PM
    So you have used all three too? I like launcher pro, but AWD has so many more features built in, that it makes pro feel like is is missing pieces parts. They are both good.
    06-04-10 01:00 PM
    I have launcher pro, helix, and AWD launcher installed and have used them all. Trust me, just try AWD launcher, and then when you have it running go into settings.....it is way better than pro and helix, so many more customizations, and I think it runs way smoother then pro. Don't take my word for it, try it for yourself
    Will AWD Launcher allow for multiple apps next to the app tray icon like Helix Launcher? This is one of my more favorite features of Helix Launcher and would be a deal breaker for me for trying AWD Launcher.
    06-06-10 11:54 PM
    Will AWD Launcher allow for multiple apps next to the app tray icon like Helix Launcher? This is one of my more favorite features of Helix Launcher and would be a deal breaker for me for trying AWD Launcher.
    Actually, AWD has a trick Launcher pro is missing If I swipe up on AWD's tray I get auxillary tray 2 (one gesture away) with 6 icons. Try AWD and read the tutorial. It is a big step above launcher pro IMO , and way beyond helix, and yes, 4 more icons on the trays that only 4 on pro have. App drawer animations are sweet too
    06-07-10 01:15 AM
    Oh, it's ADW Launcher, not AWD Launcher.... No wonder I couldn't find it.
    06-07-10 01:51 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD