I found a link from early Jan (pre-CES) claiming that the Thunderbolt would function on both CDMA and GSM networks, but I cant find anything to confirm that now. Does anyone know for sure? And if not the Thunderbolt, will any other Verizon 4G phones be global?

Thanks. First post, but have been reading for years. Great forum.
    01-20-11 09:53 AM
    i also saw something earlier about this, but now I keep seeing things that point to TB not being global. I want a global phone for the one or two times a year I go abroad. I guess I could keep my BB Storm 2, not activated with Verizon, and then when I need a global phone,I call Verizon to temporarily activate the BB Storm 2 for my trip. Any other suggestions.
    01-20-11 03:11 PM
    Yeah, I need a global phone for work, dont want to switch off of Verizon, and dont like the Droid 2 Global. So where does that leave me? Crossing my fingers for global 4G phones. But doesnt look likely. Guess I'll be on Storm 1 until Summer. Kill me now, thanks.
    01-21-11 08:09 AM
    The droid pro is global but other than that it's just speculation. I know that the 4g USB air cards use a sim card so I don't know if the sim is gsm compatible.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-11 12:05 PM
    Yes there are global 4g phones in the peace pipe.....way down the pipe though
    Last edited by johnly; 01-27-11 at 12:20 PM. Reason: add time content
    01-27-11 12:17 PM
    Yeah, I need a global phone for work, dont want to switch off of Verizon, and dont like the Droid 2 Global. So where does that leave me? Crossing my fingers for global 4G phones. But doesnt look likely. Guess I'll be on Storm 1 until Summer. Kill me now, thanks.
    Yeah, Engadget said that Motorola put the Bionic release date for the end of Q2 and I'm on a Storm 1, but I don't want the Thunderbolt. Now I'm not saying the Bionic is going to be global, I'm just saying it looks like you and I are in the same boat of having to deal with the first gen Storm until May or June.
    01-27-11 12:34 PM
    I found a link quoting Verizon as saying that the Thunderbolt will be global in the future but not right at release. The people on the forum (I forget which one, sorry) interpreted that to mean that a software release would allow global coverage without any new hardware on the Thunderbolt. I'll try to confirm that when I go to pick one up, but based on that information, that is my plan right now. I really cannot wait until the summer for the Bionic which may or may not be global in any case. Best surefire plan would be wait for Droid X Global or the full touchscreen BB and hope that's global, whenever that comes out. But I cant wait that long. My phone is totally falling apart.
    01-27-11 12:43 PM
    Verizon and Vodafone are basically one company - as Vodafone owns around 45% of Verizon. Basically what they are trying to do is consolidate their signals and phones to make them inter-compatible. Will 4G phones be global - possibly - and in order to do this they'd need dual or even tri band receivers which isn't unheard of - just not as common now-a-days. For the time being phones will retain their "roaming" standards as far as global use goes. This limits global phones in a sense but hey, global use is the plan - when it will happen is the unknown part
    01-27-11 01:11 PM
    Yeah, Engadget said that Motorola put the Bionic release date for the end of Q2 and I'm on a Storm 1, but I don't want the Thunderbolt. Now I'm not saying the Bionic is going to be global, I'm just saying it looks like you and I are in the same boat of having to deal with the first gen Storm until May or June.
    Wow.......................
    01-27-11 01:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD