The reason I switch was because I was due for an upgraded plus the screen on my Storm started flickering when I type. I'm a techie at heart and was itching for something new anyway. I wanted to stay with a full touchscreen phone and BlackBerry does not have anything for Verizon worth using up my upgrade on.

I do like my Android. It runs a lot smoother than my Storm. The e-mail I'm still not impressed with but it gets the job done, just not as well as my Storm did.

I loved my Storm, it has served me well for over 2 years. I'm hoping that when my next upgrade is due that BlackBerry will have their QNX phones out. If they do I plan to switch back.
    What kind of Android do you have? The 2 Androids I've tried out, and my Atrix all get emails immediately: all 4 Blackberrys I've had took 25+ minutes to get even emails sent from 3 feet away (my comp to phone).
    06-21-11 12:51 PM
    I have the Incredible 2.

It's not how fast or slow I get the e-mails. The one big thing I miss is being able to set a reminder flags to emails like you can in Outlook. I used this feature a lot with my storm. Yeah, you can star an e-mail but you cannot set a reminder to it.

I also don't like how with the stock e-mail you cannot just choose to save an attachment. You have to open it then it automatically saves a copy on your SD card. I want to be able to choose to save it or not. Whenever I open an attachment I then have to go delete it from the SD card.
    06-21-11 01:40 PM
    Yea, e-mail capabilities is horrid on Android. If they did e-mail like BB or WP7 Android would be perfect.
    06-21-11 03:07 PM
    I had been a BB user since the 8130 Pearl.

I jumped ship a year and a half ago when I added my girlfriend to my Sprint plan. I had a Tour at the time and i loved it, and so did my girlfriend. I wanted to try something different, and Android fit the bill perfectly. It was able to do all the things my BB could and then some. The whole experience had me so hooked that I had my Moment rooted in a matter of 20 mins of unboxing it.

I was still in the BB fold with a Bold 9700 for work, which was okay. I liked it because I would go a week without charging it, but all I used it for was work email, which I had going to my Android phone anyway on weekends, and BBM with my girlfriend when her GTalk would crap out on the Tour.

Since I left that job, I don't have the BB anymore and have moved up to an Evo 4G. And I will never go back to a BB. My corp email works great on the phone, normally arriving before my boss' does on his BB. I appreciate them for what they are, and are great devices, but once bitten by the Android, you can never go back.
    K Bear likes this.
    06-21-11 03:55 PM
    Yea, e-mail capabilities is horrid on Android. If they did e-mail like BB or WP7 Android would be perfect.
    Have you tried K9?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    06-21-11 09:39 PM
    This will be my last week with my Tour, Im going to try Android for a while. I think i will miss the keyboard and BBM but i should get over it. The main reason im leaving is because i dont like the state of RIM right now. i might even buy the bold touch when ever it is released as a back up
    06-21-11 10:30 PM
    I switched because I just wasn't using enough data (hardly 100MB a month) to justify paying $30 a month for it. I'll miss the keyboard like everyone, but I need to get my money's worth.
    Last edited by Karmaloop; 06-21-11 at 11:07 PM.
    06-21-11 11:01 PM
    Have you tried K9?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    K9 is better than the stock email but is still not as good as BB email.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-11 07:33 PM
    Try Touchdown. It blows away K9, and it has a remote wipe feature that basically wipes the phone and the SDCard contents via email.
    06-23-11 09:50 AM
    I had several other phones in the past but I'll start with when I got my BB Curve 8330 which was a nice phone and got my hooked on BB and I became one of the people I made fun of being obsessed with their phone. While it was nice it did have flaws and it was annoying seeing the other carriers get lovely Bolds and the ONLY options on Sprint were the Curve and the Pearl (which was not for me at all, using my friends for 5 minutes was probably why I didn't even look at a BB for such a long time) so I did try a few other phones but I always went back to my Curve when the Tour was released I was on it the first possible moment I could get it. I thought it would be the answer to everything I wanted, better speks and not so out dated looking BUT it was by far the worst purchase I have ever made. I went through 7 of them when I first got it to get one that worked and I finally did find one that while it still had it's share of issues they were relatively minor and the phone worked so I stuck with it but then when it did a system update it bricked my phone so I was sent a replacement and yet again it didn't work so I called Sprint and told them they either needed to send me a brand new Tour or a Bold because it didn't have the issues that the Tour did and after the amount of Tours that I had gone through and the length of time I had been a customer it seemed quite fair and after a few transfers I got a great lady that instead of sending me one of those she re-set my upgrade so i could pick anything I wanted and at that time it was right when the Evo was released so I decided to give it a try because I figured if I didn't like it like my friend had said I wouldn't I could always exchange it for the Bold. Within 2 minutes of owning it I was completely in love, I've said it before but for me it has been the only phone I have been truly satisfied with and had no desire to jump to another device. I did just purchase the new Evo 3D but the only reason why I jumped on it was I cracked the screen on my 4G (though it still works great lol) and I thought I would try the new one out before just buying another OG Evo. I still think BB's are nice devices and it's a shame that so many people that were huge fans bash them so harshly now but I highly doubt I would ever go back to something that wasn't Android based.
    06-23-11 02:54 PM
    I have a 9700, but I'm considering getting the MyTouch 4G Slide that's coming out this weekend.

I love blackberry because of:
    -socialscope
    -custom word substitutions (saves so much time)
    -email
    -keyboard

Downsides:
    -no good camera apps (what can I say, I want to have Instagram-like pics)
    -webpages automatically close if they're "too large"

Android concerns:
    - "Smart Keyboard Pro" is supposed to let you do custom word replacements (takes care of my biggest reservation)
    - I DON'T WANT TO SWITCH TO GMAIL. (yahoo, ftw! but it sucks on Android)
    -easily hackable/lots of malware (things you never have to think about when you're on a BB)

T-mobile let's you take back a phone if you don't like it, so I guess I might as well try it...???
    06-30-11 08:15 PM
    I thought I would never leave Blackberry. I switched to Android but didn't like it at first. It took me about 2 months to get it really setup the way I wanted it to perform. AutoText on Blackberry was something I couldn't live without. When I found Smart Keyboard for Android, it made the transition smoother. There are so many different keyboards for Android, as well as browsers. I enjoyed my Blackberry when I had it, but I'm definitely enjoying Android now.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    06-30-11 11:30 PM
    i was in love with the blackberry since 2008, i had the 8320 then the 8900. i recently just switched to the g2x 2 months ago. i won't lie i miss the bb experience once in a while but over all i switched because i was bored with the bb. there was only so much u can do with it! android is very good because it is open source, better hardware, more apps for it, 4G internet, and so on.
    07-03-11 02:37 PM
    BlackBerry has its problems and at one time they were the king of the smart phone's but the management didn't stay focus and BlackBerry is way behind the other company's . This is my Fifth BlackBerry i have had a 8130,8330,8530,9630,9650 i like a lot of the things BlackBerry can do but now they are underpowered low ram old OS , no 4G. I would like to stay with BlackBerry but i will have 4G LTE in my area in Nov 2011 so that may be what makes me leave BlackBerry.
    07-03-11 03:07 PM
    You are really trying to compare whats going to be a flagship device that isnt even out yet with a middle of the road Android device that has been out for 5mos.

Why didnt you compare it with some of the newer Android phones like the Droid X2, Moto Atrix, Samsung Galaxy S2, Droid Bionic, LG Optimus 2X, Evo 3D, all of which have recently been released or are coming this Summer like the Bold Touch? The unfortunate truth of the matter is that high end specs of the newer BBs are on par with middle of the road Android specs.

On topic, I left BB due to the terrible internet browsing, lack of apps, and battery pulls
    OK my bad, I only looked up the posters listed device. So the posters device is all ready outdated by those phones and those phones will be outdated by the next ones that come out a week later. Specs are not the only thing to look at.

I'm glad you all enjoy your super duper fast phones that blow any bb out of the water. I'll be just fine with one of the OS 7 phones coming out and I'm not going to worry about it being outdated daily or spend my money trying to keep up as you can't.

Have a great and safe 4th!!!!
    07-03-11 03:19 PM
    OK my bad, I only looked up the posters listed device. So the posters device is all ready outdated by those phones and those phones will be outdated by the next ones that come out a week later. Specs are not the only thing to look at.

I'm glad you all enjoy your super duper fast phones that blow any bb out of the water. I'll be just fine with one of the OS 7 phones coming out and I'm not going to worry about it being outdated daily or spend my money trying to keep up as you can't.

Have a great and safe 4th!!!!
    You are right, specs arent the only thing that make a phone. However in the hardware department BB lags behind just about everyone. Even the iPhones hardware lags behind high end Android phones in some areas, but the seamless integration of its operating system, apps and iTunes makes it a very fluid experience. You are also right that you cant keep up with the newest phones as they are almost outdated by the time they hit the shelves.

We all have needs that need to be met by our devices and we choose our phones appropriately. I have one group of in-laws that talk to each other all day everyday, BBM was perfect for them and they all got BBs. My wife wanted apps like her mom's iPhone but there were no iPhones on Verizon yet, so she opted for the Fascinate. I wanted to be grandfathered into unlimited 4G so I got a Droid Charge (which is really just a Fascinate with a 4G radio in it). All of us in my family are on outdated devices, myself included. Like you none of us are bothered by it, but it is very exciting to see what new devices are coming in the near future.

You have a happy fourth as well
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-04-11 07:55 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD