I once was a loyal Blackberry fan. From 2007-2009, I was a Samsung Blackjack and BJII fanboy. But then I saw the Bold, and it had a faster browser than the BJs, better UI, and better than the Curve I once tried (whose browser was horrid) and I switched. I loved the BB Keyboard, BBM, easier mail, and better speed. I was adamant about not getting an IPhone. I stayed on Blackberry until my Bold (had a Bold 1 from Feb 2009-Jan 2010, Bold 9700 Jan 2010-May 2011) 9700 stopped working unless on speaker phone. I tried a cheap Android, the LG Phoenix, but didn't like it too much, its keyboard was bad, had no camera flash, and missed BB. I tried the Torch, liked the physical keyboard and BB, but what really got me to switch were two things: the horrible app store, where most apps were expensive and not many apps, and the touch screen was even worse than the LG Phoenix. Also, I realized aside from BBM, again email was taking 20 mins to get into my folder (on Active Sync Exchange), whereas even on the Phoenix it was there immediately. This time I got the HTC Inspire 4G, and loved it, perfect, except for the battery life, and got the Atrix.

Why I stayed on BB for so long:
    great keyboard
    BBM
    at the time, IPhone/Android were untested
    durable
    at the time, fast, until 2010

Why I left Blackberry:
    bad apps
    outdated technology
    slow emails
    9.95/month GPS vs. Google free (unlimited data)
    not fluid like Android
    no 4G phones

why I love android:
    fast speeds
    many apps, free apps
    Atrix has amazing battery life
    customizable
    Facebook has chat, not paid app to chat
    touch screen is great
    phones come with much more memory and RAM
    can also read FULL PDFs, business stuff, office materials
    better videos/photos
    widgets

I do miss BBM, and the fact apps close instantly. I think Blackberry needs to make hardware, like Motorola, or LG. Their phones are durable. Frankly, their software cannot compete nor can their "processors". A touch Bold? Are you joking? Its too small, and again its gonna be slow as BBs are these days. BBs were great in the late 2000s. All the business stuff BBs have, Androids now have too.
    Last edited by Jay20; 06-18-11 at 04:32 AM.
    06-18-11 04:12 AM
    To be honest, I have no clue what you are talking about.

No, seriously, I know that preference for a type of smartphone is very individual. And I hope that you find a smartphone that you like and you keep liking it.

But I am not leaving Blackberry, because it's the only phone that fits for me!
    I know there are only little apps for Blackberry, but when I play with my sisters HTC and download tons of games or other things that looks extremely cool that moment I notice that after a week or so, I never open the apps again.
    Same goes with Blackberry, There are 10 apps or so that I use very often, but I have downloaded over 200 apps. Most of them I deleted after a month. Because, let's face it, most apps are crap!
    I have absolutely no need for al those apps. I don't even use BBM much (I only started using it after more than a year, when my brother bought himself a bold 9780 (yeah, big family )) and we need to contact each other. But if BBM wasn't on my phone, I couldn't care less.

And everybody always keeps saying that Blackberry urgently needs an software update, I don't really understand that either. I find OS6 fabulous. It runs very smooth on my phone and I find it extremely easy to use.
    I even like OS6 that much, that I am probably almost the only person that is looking more forward to OS7 then QNX.

I know something of the other operating systems (android, Iphone, WM7) because a lot of people that I know use them.
    But for me, Blackberry with its Blackberry OS is the best choise for me right know, and I am sure that my next phone will be a Blackberry!

Anyway, that's just my view of it. I hope you don't see this as an personal attack.
    I really hope you enjoy your next phone, but if you ever return to Blackberry, always welcome on the forum!

(Sorry if I made grammatical errors, but English isn't my native language.)
    06-18-11 06:21 AM
    You say that the new bb's coming out need better hardware?

Bold Touch
    Qualcomm 1.2GHz CPU
    5mp - Flash - Image Stabilization - HD Recording (720p)
    8GB - 768MB RAM - up to 32GB MicroSd Crad
    Micro USB - Bluetooth - NFC
    Magnetometer - Accelerometer - Proximity

HTC Inspire
    Single core, Snapdragon MSM 8255, 1000 MHz
    8 megapixels Auto focus 720p HD
    768 MB RAM microSD, microSDHC 32 GB Built-in:4096 MB
    Bluetooth Yes Version:2.1 EDR: Yes
    Accelerometer, Compass

Maybe just me but I don't see a whole lot of difference. BTW the bold touch spec I got off of here http://crackberry.com/exclusive-blac...mage-and-specs which is from January and the HTC specs I got from here HTC Inspire 4G specs - Phone Arena
    06-18-11 06:46 AM
    When I switched, my Tour was its last legs. Lots of battery pulls, and a trackball that had to be cleaned weekly just to use. My only real choices were paying $200 to upgrade to the 9650 (not much of an upgrade), or pick up the Mesmerize for free.

Since switching, the main things I miss are BBM Groups and RDM+. Everything else, I found replacement apps that do just fine.

I used my BlackBerry to run my business. I do the same thing on the Mesmerize, with some things easier now. The order forms that came truncated via BB email now come through completely. HTML emails look much better. There are more payment processing options on Android than I had on BB (I now use Square for accepting credit cards and got rid of the monthly fees I had to pay previously). Not only can I still access my work computer while out of the office (although RDM+ does it better), I can print to my office printer from anywhere, and print through my laptop when out of town.

Apps like Skype and Groove IP give me VOIP anywhere in the world (not locked to Verizon), and apps like Tango and Fring let me video chat. I have a daughter stationed in Iraq. I never know when she is going to have time to chat, so having Skype available anywhere (even when I'm away from the laptop) is a big blessing.

Some apps work better on BlackBerry: Vlingo, Drivesafe.ly, RDM+, BBM. I do miss the keyboard at times. It is just the additional things that I can do on the Mesmerize made it the right choice at the time. Once the newer BB devices hit the market, I may move back to BB as my primary (I still use the Tour as a secondary device right now). I never rule out one device or another.
    06-18-11 12:16 PM
    I switched to a thunderbolt from the torch. Frankly I like the torch better except for the browser and LTE. LTE is hard to give up once you use it. Device and OS, android has been meh so far....
    06-18-11 02:00 PM
    I left the 8900 for a Motorola Cliq XT. Then I returned the Cliq and got the incredible. Now I have the Thunderbolt.
    I switched for the better browser. :-)
    06-18-11 02:12 PM
    I left the 9700 for Android and haven't looked back. I was tired of the lack of web browser, lack of function free apps, lack of true customization, and reliability of the OS. Android has replaved my laptop for must functions, replaced my camera (hello HR camera), and functions overall better than any of my previous Blackberrys.
    06-18-11 02:42 PM
    I never leave the platform and still do prefer the BlackBerry OS, specifically my Torch. Thing is just smooth and IMHO, it's the best touchscreen / physical keyboard combo I have ever used. And believe me, I've tried quite a few. The slide outs suck and the Pre was too small (cramped up) for me.

I currently have: BlackBerry OS, iOS, Android OS, WebOS and Windows Phone 7.
    06-18-11 03:37 PM
    I switched around 6 months or so ago and no regrets. Prefer my Incredible and am very pleased. No issues. Web browsing is top notch. My email comes quickly. GPS is awesome and free. I really like not having to pay for my navigation. Phone quality is great too. I haven't looked back. It is used more than my laptop.
    Jay20 likes this.
    06-19-11 01:58 AM
    I switched around 6 months or so ago and no regrets. Prefer my Incredible and am very pleased. No issues. Web browsing is top notch. My email comes quickly. GPS is awesome and free. I really like not having to pay for my navigation. Phone quality is great too. I haven't looked back. It is used more than my laptop.
    Agreed on everything. I haven't looked back either. This shows that BB is a dying breed: even on a BB forum, you have Android fans.
    06-19-11 06:40 AM
    Agreed on everything. I haven't looked back either. This shows that BB is a dying breed: even on a BB forum, you have Android fans.
    Haven't you noticed that crackberry has sections for about every phone out? A lot started with bb and moved on.

No surprise there are android, apple etc. fans here. What is a surprise is that these fans seems to be bent on bashing the other platforms esp. the bb. And no I'm not saying all fans of other phones but there is a large population. I'm including bb fans also.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 06-19-11 at 06:48 AM. Reason: add not
    06-19-11 06:47 AM
    I switched from Blackberry to Android about 9 months ago and have never looked back also. I now have the SGS and Incredible S and am waiting for either the SGS II or Sensation. The sad thing is Blackberry isn't even a consideration anymore when looking at new phones and I was a huge BB loyalist not too long ago.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-11 06:49 AM
    The BB os is old, and tired, and it shows. With sales dropping like rocks, and investors bailing, it wouldn't surprise me to see RIM dump the BB os entirely, and start adopting the Android platform to their phones.
    06-19-11 07:20 AM
    The BB os is old, and tired, and it shows. With sales dropping like rocks, and investors bailing, it wouldn't surprise me to see RIM dump the BB os entirely, and start adopting the Android platform to their phones.
    LMAO, do you read the news here? They are all ready dumping the BB OS for QNX not android.
    06-19-11 07:22 AM
    LMAO, do you read the news here? They are all ready dumping the BB OS for QNX not android.
    Now I'm LMAO. You think it will be any different?
    06-19-11 07:31 AM
    Yes I do, only time will tell. If I'm wrong........... well I guess I'll either like anyway or I'll move to something else. No biggie to me.
    06-19-11 07:37 AM
    only time will tell.
    You are indeed correct. I'm just saying, with the current state that RIM is in, drastic times call for drastic measures.
    06-19-11 07:56 AM
    I had a bb up until last month I went frm the bold 9000 to the bold 9700 to the torch now I have a samsung infuse I switched because I was getting bored with blackberry I love blackberry bbm and email is what really was keeping me for so long but I was getting bored nothing was really changing I don't regret leaving blackberry I loveeeeee my infuse maybe I'll return to blackberry in the future but for now I'm fine with my infuse
    06-19-11 08:30 AM
    I had a BB Bold 9650 for about 25 days. I HATED it. It felt cheap. Browser was slow, small screen, cheap buttons, no flash, horriable phone.
    I currenrly have a droid X. Best phone ever. I'm rooted running a custom rom amd them. Soooo much I can change. If I don't like my boot logo, I can change it. If I don't like my os, I can change it. So much I can do that BB can't. Lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-11 10:19 AM
    I have not given up on my 9800 yet because I cannot afford to at this time. I will need to wait either for contract renewal time or until I win some $$$ for a droid.
    06-19-11 11:15 AM
    I got my 9700 in Nov 2009. I was coming from the Sidekick line, and debating the 9700 and the Cliq. Soooo glad I went with the blackberry at that time. But, in some ways it felt like a downgrade. The last Sidekick I had had a clearer screen than the 9700 and rarely lagged or needed a battery pull. It was really confusing for me when people in the 9700 forums who had upgraded from other BBs were marveling at the screen and speed of the 9700. I decided, though, that having the extra capabilities and features were well worth it.

However, 7 months later I was sick of the battery pulls, sick of the spinning clock, and sick of squinting at the tiny screen. I bit the bullet and went with the best Android phone on T-Mobile at that time, the Samsung Vibrant. It completely blew BB away in my opinion, but it wasn't without it's own flaws. After I determined that these problems were largely the fault of Samsung and not Android, I tried my luck again with the MyTouch 4G. This phone was perfect! Everything that was wrong on my Vibrant worked on the MT4G, and added some features like wifi hotspot, FFC, LED indicator (didn't realize how much I had missed that!), etc. The phone had very few bugs and very little lag. It was the perfect android experience at the time. But, as is my nature, after about 8 months the upgrade bug bit me and I jumped on the Sensation. I'm absolutely loving this phone.

I'm not opposed to going back to BB, but at this point they have some HUGE shoes to fill.
    06-19-11 12:41 PM
    Falling short of the support cycle despite my storm2 being as young as it was, at the time

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    06-20-11 11:03 AM
    You say that the new bb's coming out need better hardware?

Bold Touch
    Qualcomm 1.2GHz CPU
    5mp - Flash - Image Stabilization - HD Recording (720p)
    8GB - 768MB RAM - up to 32GB MicroSd Crad
    Micro USB - Bluetooth - NFC
    Magnetometer - Accelerometer - Proximity

HTC Inspire
    Single core, Snapdragon MSM 8255, 1000 MHz
    8 megapixels Auto focus 720p HD
    768 MB RAM microSD, microSDHC 32 GB Built-in:4096 MB
    Bluetooth Yes Version:2.1 EDR: Yes
    Accelerometer, Compass

Maybe just me but I don't see a whole lot of difference. BTW the bold touch spec I got off of here http://crackberry.com/exclusive-blac...mage-and-specs which is from January and the HTC specs I got from here HTC Inspire 4G specs - Phone Arena
    You are really trying to compare whats going to be a flagship device that isnt even out yet with a middle of the road Android device that has been out for 5mos.

Why didnt you compare it with some of the newer Android phones like the Droid X2, Moto Atrix, Samsung Galaxy S2, Droid Bionic, LG Optimus 2X, Evo 3D, all of which have recently been released or are coming this Summer like the Bold Touch? The unfortunate truth of the matter is that high end specs of the newer BBs are on par with middle of the road Android specs.

On topic, I left BB due to the terrible internet browsing, lack of apps, and battery pulls
    06-20-11 09:04 PM
    You are really trying to compare whats going to be a flagship device that isnt even out yet with a middle of the road Android device that has been out for 5mos.

Why didnt you compare it with some of the newer Android phones like the Droid X2, Moto Atrix, Samsung Galaxy S2, Droid Bionic, LG Optimus 2X, Evo 3D, all of which have recently been released or are coming this Summer like the Bold Touch? The unfortunate truth of the matter is that high end specs of the newer BBs are on par with middle of the road Android specs.

On topic, I left BB due to the terrible internet browsing, lack of apps, and battery pulls
    not to mention that the HTC "Inspire 4G" is actually almost the exact same phone as the European/Canadian Desire HD, same processor, RAM, etc. which was released in October 2010.
    06-20-11 10:50 PM
    The reason I switch was because I was due for an upgraded plus the screen on my Storm started flickering when I type. I'm a techie at heart and was itching for something new anyway. I wanted to stay with a full touchscreen phone and BlackBerry does not have anything for Verizon worth using up my upgrade on.

I do like my Android. It runs a lot smoother than my Storm. The e-mail I'm still not impressed with but it gets the job done, just not as well as my Storm did.

I loved my Storm, it has served me well for over 2 years. I'm hoping that when my next upgrade is due that BlackBerry will have their QNX phones out. If they do I plan to switch back.
    06-21-11 11:48 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD