I got an Incredible a few months back for my son. And if my firm let BES go next month, I'd buy one for myself.
    08-23-10 01:10 PM
    I got an Incredible a few months back for my son. And if my firm let BES go next month, I'd buy one for myself.
    Yea the Incredible is a very nice phone. I think a droid will be my next phone.
    08-23-10 01:11 PM

Blue Ray vs HD DVD was an obvious one. People were smart enough to wait rather than gamble.
    What is that supposed to mean? Do you think HD DVD > Blu-Ray?
    08-23-10 06:33 PM
    What is that supposed to mean? Do you think HD DVD > Blu-Ray?
    No, he means Blu-Ray is now the standard. Much like BetaMax vs VHS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-10 06:52 PM
    The difference between a fone and a TV is people usually only hold onto to fones for a year maybe 2. A TV is a much larger investment. Apparently, this wasn't "the Storm" I was looking for either but it will soon be replaced, no big deal.
    08-24-10 05:29 AM
    your comparisons are way off base. the technology used in smart phones today are proven to be reliable, tried and true. there will be improvements in amoled screens and the like, but the existing tech is still reliable and will be around for some time to come.

this is also wrong. this is a very good time and the 1ghz android phones out right now are in no way disappointing. they perform very well and are compatible with future os updates (unlike some blackberry phones). if you're one to obsess over clock speed and benchmarking you can even root the phone and overclock the processor to keep up with the latest and greatest. the current android phones don't lack for speed stock especially when comparing to any blackberry other smartphones on the market.

i'd wager heavily that we won't see top of the line LTE phones by the holidays, probably not until we get closer to q2 2011 imo. the 1.3 ghz phones may be out by end of this year, but most users wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 1 ghz and 1.3 ghz except with gaming.

many people have updates they've been sitting on to see what RIM does with their line up. with the release of the 9800 it's very obvious that they're either risk averse or stuck in the mud. they've also probably realized they need a significant rework of their core os code in order to make the more significant performance and feature enhancements. when they started working on os 6 they probably didn't feel a lot of pressure and aimed low thinking that as long as they placate the bb faithful they'll be ok for another year or so. now that they're stock prices and market share have consistently falling over the past year they're probably scrambling to make more significant changes in the hardware arena since that's easier to do than reworking code. they could at least up resolution, screen tech, processor specs, and camera quality.

...unless they have just decided to stick to the enterprise niche. in which case i predict significant layoffs coming for rim. they won't be able to live off of the enterprise niche for much longer, but i could be wrong.

i don't have the x, but even when the next wave of android phones come out it will still be a powerhouse and a very good phone. as i said previously, if you're always waiting to see what's around the corner, then you'll always be waiting. why? because with android there's ALWAYS something "better" in terms of more power around the corner.

as for waiting to see what rim will do...we've already seen it. the 9800 will probably be their flagship device at least for another year. i wouldn't expect to see much change from RIM in terms of hardware to keep up with the competition. their development life cycle is so long that by the time they come out with "next gen" technology they'll still be behind the curve and it will only be "next gen" in terms of the last blackberry they released.

i agree with that. if your phone meets your needs then stick with it until it doesn't anymore. however, if a user has an upgrade available or is fed up because their blackberry isn't meeting their needs, then telling people to wait for things to slow down with android doesn't make sense. android / google isn't going to slow down. they're constantly improving the software and pushing it out to manufacturers. separate third party apps are also constantly being improved independent of what's going on with the os. i'd say that all android phones moto droid 1 or better will still be getting the latest and greatest os upgrades at least a year from now.

if there were any reason to wait it would be for LTE phones, and i still think we won't see any top of the line LTE phones until early next year and even then the 3g network will still be strong, fast, and supported. not to mention wifi is still king and will also be even more widespread which will extend the useful life cycle of these phones.
    Very good points. It's disappointing to see RIM's strategy here. The foothold they had in the corporate, or enterprise, world will not hold. And you're right, they're development cycle is much too long to put out devices with the specs of the Torch. The Storm2 was a "flagship" device right? And yet the hardware specs are not enough to be able to run an OS put out 9 months later? It's just not a good practice, and it doesn't matter that they didn't promise any updates. Whether people need it or not, the market is just moving in the direction of speed and multi-use capability. Maybe I don't see the whole picture, but they are losing ground to other, newer, platforms. On a related note, here's an interesting article. Hope it's ok to post this?
    Login to DIGITIMES archive & research
    08-24-10 10:21 AM
    For the storm2 owners like myself who are tempted to switch over to droid but undecided, alot of the decision will come down to what bb LTE phones come out in the next few months vs. droid LTE phones. If Droid comes out with an LTE phone more than 3 months before RIM, then RIM is screwed.
    08-24-10 11:16 AM
    For the storm2 owners like myself who are tempted to switch over to droid but undecided, alot of the decision will come down to what bb LTE phones come out in the next few months vs. droid LTE phones. If Droid comes out with an LTE phone more than 3 months before RIM, then RIM is screwed.
    No LTE phones this year, just tablets. The phones wont come out till 2011. One of the reasons why I went with a Droid X now and then I can upgrade in 1 year again if I want to.
    08-24-10 12:52 PM
208 ... 789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD