Many people are looking to take out their anger on RIM by making a statement and going with the trendier Android phones. I can't say I blame them for wanting to do so. RIM did not have a good long term business plan, and they were not nimble enough to make the best of technology. The free market is always there to humble you.

I have a Storm 2 and am happy with it. But I got sucked in to the whole tech revolution. Suddenly, I started feeling that sense of "entitlement" for no reason. I started feeling like the browser I was happy with (Opera Mini 5) was suddenly void of capabilities. I felt like the UI just wasn't fancy enough. The solid messenger and email service I got was not eye candy enough. All in all, I suddenly demanded that I have a phone that has sensless animation on the home screen, pinch zoom in all aspects, and high hardware specs. I demanded that OS 6 makes it to the Storm 2 and makes me feel my phone is up to par with the Androids and iPhones.

Since I am eligible for a NE2, I stopped by Verizon to see what I can get. I saw the Droid X and didn't like how long it looked. I would be laughed out the of the conference room if I laid that on the table. Kind of like that guy in a nice suit pulling into the work parking lot in a Impala with 20" shiny rims. I asked for the Incredible since it looked neater and more usable. The rep hinted that they are having screen issues and that there buried under newer, better Droids. I looked at the original MotoDroid. It looked so narrow and boring after seeing all these newer droids. So if I am looking for that fix for having the latets toy, I need to wait for the wave of Droids to settle down. Otherwise, we will be left with dated Android phones.

This is of course assuming I am still sucked in to that black hole. I have taken a step back and saw the value of what Apple has done with iPhones. They made sure they never compete with their own products. Blackberry, has done things differently, yet much saner than what HTC has done for the most part. Every week I read about a new Android phone. I took another look at my Storm 2, and decided that a newer Storm or a newer 9800 (hopefully 9850) would come out before that Android surge setltles down. I have a very good phone to send and receive email while I am in conferences, and it serves as so many other things. So what it doesn't pinch zoom. I was happy before this wave of phones came out distorting my outlook. I am back to planet earth.
    Last edited by leglace; 08-09-10 at 04:27 PM.
    08-09-10 04:23 PM
    Eh. Google is going to buy RIM within a year or two any way. Android rulz!!
    08-09-10 04:28 PM
    While there appears to be some screen issues with the Incredible, the phone is still a beast and is very relevant, and ther have been screen issues with many new phones. The Droid X is a ridiculously large phone, the Droid 2 is yet to be released. There are also issues with the EVO 4G screens due to supply. I am personally awaiting my Incredible and the screen issues don't scare me. VZW store personnel are often very uninformed.

And while I do agree the Storm 2 is a very capable phone, I am done with the RIM kool-aid for now until they can prove they can just catch up, i don't need them to be ahead. I will be going with the incredible until there is a good, LTE touchscreen blackberry.
    Last edited by Fillyo; 08-09-10 at 04:37 PM.
    08-09-10 04:35 PM
    Why would you be laughed out of the conference room for having a Droid X? And why is it more important what a phone looks like to you rather than what it can do?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-10 04:42 PM
    Have you seen the thing, its the size of a spiral notebook. You would need to sew on a bigger pocket to carry the thing..
    08-09-10 04:48 PM
    Many people are looking to take out their anger on RIM by making a statement and going with the trendier Android phones.

. I was happy before this wave of phones came out distorting my outlook. I am back to planet earth.
    Really?

I wish I knew what you meant...no, wait a sec, on second thought, maybe I DON'T want to know. If I knew, I'd be too confused.
    08-09-10 05:01 PM
    Android is an OS. They don't make the fones, thus they're not competing with themselves. HTC is competing against Motorola, Samsung, LG and every other fone manufacturer that makes fones that run an Android OS.
    08-09-10 05:12 PM
    Really?

I wish I knew what you meant...no, wait a sec, on second thought, maybe I DON'T want to know. If I knew, I'd be too confused.
    If you don't understand this, you didn't understand the entire post. My point is that trying to have the newest technology is like a dog chasing its tail. With BB, you can stick with a phone for at least a year before feeling outdone by a newer BB. With Android, your "new" phone becomes outdated in 3 mos. The Incredible is going to be pushed aside to make room for a new slew of Droids.

Most of what we think we need in a phone is dictated by the newest rave rather than what it is we truly need.
    08-09-10 05:18 PM
    If you don't understand this, you didn't understand the entire post. My point is that trying to have the newest technology is like a dog chasing its tail. With BB, you can stick with a phone for at least a year before feeling outdone by a newer BB. With Android, your "new" phone becomes outdated in 3 mos. The Incredible is going to be pushed aside to make room for a new slew of Droids.

Most of what we think we need in a phone is dictated by the newest rave rather than what it is we truly need.
    ah, yes, I wrote something in that vein just a few minutes ago, on another Droid/Storm thread. We think alike!
    08-09-10 05:23 PM
    I totally agree with the Op on this, I like my Storm2 16 months to go on contract. I feel Androids are all over the place and need too settle. I would get too stressed choosing an Android lol. I want a phone that l;ooks and feels good in my eyes and a company I can trust - Not Motorola. I love my Curve, and can happily say my new storm is my best phone yet. Yes RIM is far from perfect but so are all the others, It does what I want am also glad we are not getting OS 6. It does look great and fab but call me fickle lol I dont know why but the search icon on the Home Screen bugs me. Will have plenty time to play with it when it comes here into the UK though
    08-09-10 05:33 PM
    Android is an OS. They don't make the fones, thus they're not competing with themselves. HTC is competing against Motorola, Samsung, LG and every other fone manufacturer that makes fones that run an Android OS.
    You are correct but think about it. Verizon makes the call on what their offerings are. They make Motorola and HTC compete within the same platform. Before it used to be the Touch Pro, Touch Diamond, and Samsung Omnia as WM6.1 smartphones. Thats all there was for a year. Theydidn't flood their smartphones with Winmo OS selections. In less than a year, for Verizon alone, we got a Droid Eris, Droid Incredible, Motorola Droid, Motorola Devour, LG Ally, Droid X. By the 12th month mark, they will add Samsung Fascinate, Droid II, possibly a Droid Pro (4" screen). That would be 9 Android OS touch screen phones. 4 of them will have keyboards. Thats just Verizon.
    08-09-10 05:35 PM
    You are correct but think about it. Verizon makes the call on what their offerings are. They make Motorola and HTC compete within the same platform. Before it used to be the Touch Pro, Touch Diamond, and Samsung Omnia as WM6.1 smartphones. Thats all there was for a year. Theydidn't flood their smartphones with Winmo OS selections. In less than a year, for Verizon alone, we got a Droid Eris, Droid Incredible, Motorola Droid, Motorola Devour, LG Ally, Droid X. By the 12th month mark, they will add Samsung Fascinate, Droid II, possibly a Droid Pro (4" screen). That would be 9 Android OS touch screen phones. 4 of them will have keyboards. Thats just Verizon.
    My only explanation is that Android is a really popular platform right now. Much more popular than Windows. There have been quite a few Blackberries too. More popular than WinMo but not as popular as Android. Supply and demand. The people are demanding Android VZW and the manufacturers are supplying them.

But I agree with you're original point. There's always something "better" just around the corner. Maybe they should offer new every year deals or new every quarter so customers can keep up.
    08-09-10 05:45 PM
    Do you use a rotary telephone? An eight track player? Do you watch a black and white TV? Probably not. Why? Because newer technology has provided a better alternative to these outdated things.

Some may only want the latest and greatest. But many others choose the droid x because it offers more capabilities in certain areas than the storm2. This is also the reason RIM needs to step their game up in advancing the technology of its phones.

Time marches on.

08-09-10 05:56 PM
    Do you use a rotary telephone? An eight track player? Do you watch a black and white TV? Probably not. Why? Because newer technology has provided a better alternative to these outdated things.

Some may only want the latest and greatest. But many others choose the droid x because it offers more capabilities in certain areas than the storm2. This is also the reason RIM needs to step their game up in advancing the technology of its phones.

Time marches on.

I never get tired of hearing that analogy. Not complaining about my device, I just love hearing that.
    08-09-10 06:29 PM
    Nevertheless the analogy is true.

08-09-10 06:47 PM
    I never get tired of hearing that analogy. Not complaining about my device, I just love hearing that.
    Thats correct. But these trends took time to allow the dust to settle. I am glad I didn't jump on the HDDVD or Plasma TV's. All these trends take about 5 to 10 years at a time. They don't occur one year at a time. Android phones are still in their infancy. They will likely make their own phones obsolete in 2 years, whereas you could still get some updates and support for 2 year old iPhones and Blackberries.
    08-09-10 07:01 PM
    Thats correct. But these trends took time to allow the dust to settle. I am glad I didn't jump on the HDDVD or Plasma TV's. All these trends take about 5 to 10 years at a time. They don't occur one year at a time. Android phones are still in their infancy. They will likely make their own phones obsolete in 2 years, whereas you could still get some updates and support for 2 year old iPhones and Blackberries.
    Why would anyone want a 2 year old blackberry? Gross. The torch is a phone that should have been out for 2 years already anyway. Pathetic.
    08-09-10 07:06 PM
    A good phone is good for 2 years. Many people own iPhones for 2 years. I know many with BB's that were the 1st models in color. They still find them to be good phones for work. I had a XV6700 (HTC Apache) for 2 1/2 years before upgrading to a Touch Pro. It was a good phone. My Storm 2 is going to last me another year. However, if a Storm 3 comes, I will get it only because I am eligible for "New for 2".
    08-09-10 07:13 PM
    You are wrong, sir. The first Android phone released in the US (2008) is G1 on T Mobile and it is running the latest Android OS (Froyo). Because Android is an 'Open' OS, there is an active development/hacking community that can port any version of the OS into any device.
    08-09-10 07:36 PM
    The G1 was Google's beta Android. It was not that successful. They did not have another phone until HTC created the Hero in 2009. That was their first step in the right direction. And that was barely a year ago.

edit, Was Froyo hacked to work on the G1? I can't imagine how it could run Froyo. In fact, the Hero is not supposed to get Froyo either. The fact that you could hack something to work does not mean it would work well with its limited specs. I can't imagine the G1 working well, but I am just making a guess.
    Last edited by leglace; 08-09-10 at 07:48 PM.
    08-09-10 07:42 PM
    The G1 was Google's beta Android. It was not that successful. They did not have another phone until HTC created the Hero in 2009. That was their first step in the right direction. And that was barely a year ago.
    If that is the way you want to revise the history, it is fine with me.. (Some others will even say that until Motorola Droid and Nexus One, Android was not given much of a chance). Bottom-line is that G1 can run a version of Android 2.2, got it?
    08-09-10 07:48 PM
    Let's face it the S2 is a two year old design.
    I went from S1 to S2 and the only real difference is WiFi and no real buttons.
    Yea more memory and all that. It does support 3D but the S2 is a warmed over S1. If the rumors are correct the S3 is going to warm over the S2.

I'll pass. If RIM made a Storm with a 4" screen and a webkit browser, I would be sold.

Since they do not and will not have such a device, I ordered a DX.
    Year I've heard all the hype but I design hardware for a living and I can root the phone and do what I want. I have a couple of software developer friends.
    08-09-10 08:03 PM
    I can't even get an OS upgrade on my storm2 which is less than a year old. Where are you getting these "upgrades and support" for 2 year old Blackberries?

08-09-10 08:03 PM

edit, Was Froyo hacked to work on the G1? I can't imagine how it could run Froyo. In fact, the Hero is not supposed to get Froyo either. The fact that you could hack something to work does not mean it would work well with its limited specs. I can't imagine the G1 working well, but I am just making a guess.
    Yes, it was hacked. Look up Cyanogen Mod for Android phones. It is a custom ROM based on Android 2.2.
    08-09-10 08:39 PM
    Many people are looking to take out their anger on RIM by making a statement and going with the trendier Android phones. I can't say I blame them for wanting to do so. RIM did not have a good long term business plan, and they were not nimble enough to make the best of technology. The free market is always there to humble you.

I have a Storm 2 and am happy with it. But I got sucked in to the whole tech revolution. Suddenly, I started feeling that sense of "entitlement" for no reason. I started feeling like the browser I was happy with (Opera Mini 5) was suddenly void of capabilities. I felt like the UI just wasn't fancy enough. The solid messenger and email service I got was not eye candy enough. All in all, I suddenly demanded that I have a phone that has sensless animation on the home screen, pinch zoom in all aspects, and high hardware specs. I demanded that OS 6 makes it to the Storm 2 and makes me feel my phone is up to par with the Androids and iPhones.

Since I am eligible for a NE2, I stopped by Verizon to see what I can get. I saw the Droid X and didn't like how long it looked. I would be laughed out the of the conference room if I laid that on the table. Kind of like that guy in a nice suit pulling into the work parking lot in a Impala with 20" shiny rims. I asked for the Incredible since it looked neater and more usable. The rep hinted that they are having screen issues and that there buried under newer, better Droids. I looked at the original MotoDroid. It looked so narrow and boring after seeing all these newer droids. So if I am looking for that fix for having the latets toy, I need to wait for the wave of Droids to settle down. Otherwise, we will be left with dated Android phones.

This is of course assuming I am still sucked in to that black hole. I have taken a step back and saw the value of what Apple has done with iPhones. They made sure they never compete with their own products. Blackberry, has done things differently, yet much saner than what HTC has done for the most part. Every week I read about a new Android phone. I took another look at my Storm 2, and decided that a newer Storm or a newer 9800 (hopefully 9850) would come out before that Android surge setltles down. I have a very good phone to send and receive email while I am in conferences, and it serves as so many other things. So what it doesn't pinch zoom. I was happy before this wave of phones came out distorting my outlook. I am back to planet earth.
    Thanks, I read this and seriously I think my mind cleared up a little bit. I as well got swept up in all of this. I was looking at a way to make a statement as well and go out for an android.

Technology changes all the time, by the time they give me that new box with an android phone in it, it's out dated.

I agree, I think everyone here needs to take a second and realize the storm 2 is a good phone. Great... No, but it does what it has to and does a good job.

Oh yea same here rep told me Incredible has issues no fixes for new ones coming either.
    08-09-10 11:44 PM
208 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD