11-08-09 08:17 AM
    but the rest of his comments/review was a good one...so sooner rather than later he will make the switch!!
    11-08-09 08:23 AM
    Good review, although I have to agree with VegasVic on this. One or two apps that will probably be made for Android later and fear of a maybe might be with the keyboard doesn't make much sense to me. If you are worried, just don't use the keyboard. Plus he stated that his service with Verizon was better. Not sure I get it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-09 08:31 AM
    I hope Wired doesn't pay this guy to write articles for them. If they do the editors must have been drunk when they let this article slip by them. Can you imagine that conversation.

So if I understand correctly, he doesn't like the keypad - ok, don't use it. Next there are a few apps (which he really changes to just 1 app - instapaper - in the next paragraph) that he can't live without. Finally, there's no track record of how well the hardware will hold up (probably coming from a guy who got the first gen iPhone though with no track record of stability).

So if you love this phone (as he seemed too) you don't have to use the keyboard, you'll find that ONE app that is equal to or better than instapaper and you have a 1 year warranty on the phone (those of us that were early adopter Storm owners know this well) with a great company that all to often is very good about replacing your hardware when there's an issue.
    11-08-09 08:53 AM
    He's whining because of two apps on the iPhone don't have replacements that function Exactly like the offerings on the Droid?
    Well, if that's all it takes to dissuade you from hopping on board to another platform - it's small wonder you're still running windows 98 on your 486 PC, now isn't it?
    Jeezus.

As far as that whole slider keyboard "could be prone to failure"...
    Sure - it Could be... maybe legions of people will be reporting that in a few weeks that these just fly off like greased lightning - some kid standing across from a Droid user took it in the eye when the screen detached suddenly and violently upon flipping it open... the people who'll moan about how it doesn't feel quite as tight as when they first got it in a virgin state 3 months earlier... that one woman who dropped it onto a concrete floor in a parking garage and now Motorola's build quality "sucks" because she's genuinely surprised one side of the slider sticks a bit.

yeah - I've heard about a half-million "sliders might be prone to failing"-arguments since they first started making sliders...
    the ridiculous expectations some people place on these things sometimes is mind-numbing.
    I'm pretty sure the service life on the mechanism was tested, and won't fall off in your hand after 2-3 years of use. It might get a little looser, yes- funny how friction over time on mated components does that, eh? But I wouldn't knock the thing just because it has a slider.

Personally, I LIKE the physical keypad slider design. Not everyone is into using a virtual keypad 24-7.
    To each their own. The Droid isn't everyone's cup-'o-tea, but this writers arguments against it seem a little weak to me. Whatever.
    Go back to playing with your Super-NES. Sucks the PS3 didn't load their games on backwards-compatible Nintendo cartridges either, Huh?
    Last edited by Digital_Cataclysm; 11-08-09 at 09:15 AM.
    11-08-09 09:11 AM
    Why is everyone getting so defensive. He is not different then some the of the people here that wont leave their BB because of BBM. As far as the Droid goes, I am treating it like every other new device. I am going to let all you "Have to have it now" folks play with it and break it so that I know weather or not it's worth my time. From what I have read it intrigues me but like some I think the device looks like crap the keyboard is garbage (no different then a Virtual keyboard when you think about it.)

To be honest I would of been more prone to get a Android phone if they would of released 2.0 for few other phones. But it doesn't matter what anyone says, if you are a Droid user and someone says something remotely negative someones panties are going to get in a bunch.
    11-08-09 10:28 AM
    This guy is spot on. I would have gotten this phone but I didn't like the keypad. And after playing with one in the store you have to use the keypad when in landscape a lot of times. If this phone were released without the keypad I would have moved to this phone. Although I still think the storm 2 is better typing wise I would have gotten the droid. But the keyboard did me in I did not like it at all. I prefer the way Rim has implemented surepress.

11-08-09 11:18 AM
    This guy is spot on. I would have gotten this phone but I didn't like the keypad. And after playing with one in the store you have to use the keypad when in landscape a lot of times. If this phone were released without the keypad I would have moved to this phone. Although I still think the storm 2 is better typing wise I would have gotten the droid. But the keyboard did me in I did not like it at all. I prefer the way Rim has implemented surepress.

Ummm...no you don't. Landscape virtual keyboard is there as an option.
    11-08-09 11:28 AM
    The responses I made to the author's comments about the Droid, was a reflection on how some people will take any little minor issue, and either blow it up into a huge giant deal - or - use it as reason not to explore beyond what they're comfortable with...
    If you read the article, Mr. Tweney at first bestows accolades unto the newly released device, how it's a match for, and in certain areas eclipsing the mighty Oh Lord be our savior Jesus-Phone.

But then something odd happens... he likens the physical slide-out keyboard to an "unnecessary and even dangerous, trouble-prone appendage, like an appendix or a vestigial tail: It can only cause problems."
    Whaaaaaat?!
    Am I to assume then, there has been some major - indeed "Dangerous" news report issue I haven't heard about regarding slide-out keyboard cellular devices that have been in the marketplace for years and years and years and years...?! Look out kids, these fancy slider phones will kill your parents in their sleep and give you appendix cancer!! Doom I say - DOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM!!

OMFG- Please, take a chill pill, Dylan.
    If HE doesn't like slider phones - fine. Absolutely no argument from me that not all people are supposed to like any one phone / phone style.
    But comparing the slider design to a rotting appendix ready to burst in some eminent future and fill your bloodstream with poisons? C'Mon.
    Little hysterical? Maybe? Just maybe?

Now we all know people like their apps - obviously Instapaper Pro and Tweetie for the iPhone are near and dear to his heart. But guess what - it's fairly commonplace knowledge base that when you switchover to a new platform, you may not be able to run the exact same applications on the new device, as you did on the old...
    However, I bet there's something out there that's close... it may not do everything exactly like the old programs did - but then that's kind of the trade-off now isn't it?
    2 minutes on Google gave me Readitlater - and of course Twidroid.

Will they work, look, function like, and have all the same features of Instapaper Pro or Tweetie? No.
    Will they probably be just fine for most people, knowing that not all apps are cross-platform for every phone out there? Most likely yes.
    Neverminding the evil insidious slider keyboard, if the author is planning on holding off on a Droid until his two favorite applications have been written for Google's OS, he may be waiting a while.
    Go to the Instapaper Pro web site. Doesn't look or sound like the developer has any interest in coding beyond the iPhone.

My point being, sometimes you have to let go and endure that horrible horrible pain of just perhaps having to learn how to use a different (not necessarily "worse") program when you decide to move on with progress or purchase a different machine.
    Happens. Every. Day.

Again, it just sounded stupid to me that out of all the points Mr. Tweney could have chosen about the Droid that he may not have liked - he went with making it sound like the phone had a major design flaw because it's a Slider... and that he wants it to run the same apps that the iPhone does - even though they're two completely different OS platforms.
    Dumb.

I embrace individuality - I think it's great there are so many choices of devices to fit the needs and different lifestyles of so many different people - There IS NO one "right" phone for everyone...
    for Mr. Tweney, it sounds like he's going to have to stick with his iPhone - because the amount of insecurity he's having over a radical new slider design that's unnecessary and alarming, along with his beloved apps - this Droid represents territory that he will probably avoid if those are the greatest fears scaring him.
    11-08-09 12:08 PM

For the life of me....explain how people say "I'd get the keyboardless version"...when they hve the option to go between the keyboard...and the touch screen. Seriously, do people think before typing?

11-08-09 12:54 PM
    Droid OS + Storm SureType + Tour keyboard + Droid screen = best phone of all time.

11-08-09 01:05 PM
    Typing on a Storm sucks. It's horrible.
    read it again. He didn't say typing on a storm, he said he suretype from a storm but the "KEYBOARD" of a TOUR.
    11-08-09 09:35 PM
    trying this Opera 5 and must say sweet...the BB browser was enough for me to go droid but now with the Opera maybe not!! Oh and I'm still on the original Storm 1, I got in November on launch day.
    11-11-09 11:27 AM
    trying this Opera 5 and must say sweet...the BB browser was enough for me to go droid but now with the Opera maybe not!! Oh and I'm still on the original Storm 1, I got in November on launch day.
    If thats your cup of tea thats cool. I had the storm1, actually i went through 8 of them from Feb-July. Than I got the Tour I went through 3 of them from July-Nov. I had enough of them, the browser is awful, I can have as many apps downloaded and running as I want and the phone still works. For me it was a fantastic move.
    11-11-09 12:15 PM
    He's whining because of two apps on the iPhone don't have replacements that function Exactly like the offerings on the Droid?
    Well, if that's all it takes to dissuade you from hopping on board to another platform - it's small wonder you're still running windows 98 on your 486 PC, now isn't it?
    Jeezus.

As far as that whole slider keyboard "could be prone to failure"...
    Sure - it Could be... maybe legions of people will be reporting that in a few weeks that these just fly off like greased lightning - some kid standing across from a Droid user took it in the eye when the screen detached suddenly and violently upon flipping it open... the people who'll moan about how it doesn't feel quite as tight as when they first got it in a virgin state 3 months earlier... that one woman who dropped it onto a concrete floor in a parking garage and now Motorola's build quality "sucks" because she's genuinely surprised one side of the slider sticks a bit.

yeah - I've heard about a half-million "sliders might be prone to failing"-arguments since they first started making sliders...
    the ridiculous expectations some people place on these things sometimes is mind-numbing.
    I'm pretty sure the service life on the mechanism was tested, and won't fall off in your hand after 2-3 years of use. It might get a little looser, yes- funny how friction over time on mated components does that, eh? But I wouldn't knock the thing just because it has a slider.

Personally, I LIKE the physical keypad slider design. Not everyone is into using a virtual keypad 24-7.
    To each their own. The Droid isn't everyone's cup-'o-tea, but this writers arguments against it seem a little weak to me. Whatever.
    Go back to playing with your Super-NES. Sucks the PS3 didn't load their games on backwards-compatible Nintendo cartridges either, Huh?
    nice : )

The logic behind this guys thoughts (the writer of the article) makes me wonder how he made it this far in life. Holy shiat.....
    11-11-09 12:22 PM
    maybe he's waiting for the secret phone...the HTC Passion!!
    11-13-09 05:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD