First this is not a trashing post of RIM. I'm a former Palm PDA user, Treo and for the past 4 years, Blackberry user. I had the 1st PDA from Palm and frequently change out my technology. I left RIM for the same reason I left Palm. Lack of innovation, buggy software & customer indifference.

My last RIM phone was the Storm 2 which while a huge improvement over the Storm 1 still lacked a usable browser and felt sluggish and outdated. I had gone through 8 Storm 1's and 4 Storm 2's in less than 2 years. While waiting for OS6, I had the opportunity to test out a Droid X for a week. I've also tested the IPhone but would not leave Verizon. After a week I purchased the Droid X.

The only way to compare (for me) the Blackberry experience to the Droid X is to say it's like going from DOS to Windows for the 1st time. So much has already been written about this so I won't rehash all of that. Yes, my Storm was better at pushing emails but that's about it and really, do I need my emails in real time? I can use MMS for quick items.

The Droid X is an incredible phone and getting used to it took all of about 2 hours of playing around. The web is now as it should be with blazing speed. Voice commands are night and day compared to RIM's offerings and the speed of everything is light years ahead.

RIM, I may come back to you later and my hope is that the new phones using 0S6 really put you back in the game. Competition is good for everyone and right now, as a manufacturer both on the hardware and software side, RIM is clearly lagging the industry. For now at least it's a Droid world and Google my God is the 600 pound Gorilla.
    07-29-10 01:15 PM
    Let the church say Amen! I feel the same way.
    07-29-10 01:47 PM
    Wow 8 Storm 1 and 4 Storm 2's? What'd you do to them?
    07-29-10 01:48 PM
    Lets hope os6 does convert the unbelievers. Unfortunately most of the normal consumers probably don't even know what an OS is. Power users, professional users and "prosumers" have only been responsible for a small part of RIM's growth in marketshare.
    07-29-10 01:49 PM
    Still on my ORIGINAL Storm 1. Works just fine. Waiting to see if there is a Storm 3.
    Last edited by bigbadwulff; 07-29-10 at 03:45 PM.
    07-29-10 02:02 PM
    Lets hope os6 does convert the unbelievers. Unfortunately most of the normal consumers probably don't even know what an OS is. Power users, professional users and "prosumers" have only been responsible for a small part of RIM's growth in marketshare.
    Well said...
    07-29-10 02:25 PM
    Wow.....another "leaving or left BlackBerry testimonial"

But what's even funnier is after the long drawn out "android praise" they end it with "I will return to BlackBerry if......."

Lmao.....
    07-29-10 03:45 PM
    Wow.....another "leaving or left BlackBerry testimonial"

But what's even funnier is after the long drawn out "android praise" they end it with "I will return to BlackBerry if......."

Lmao.....

I think it's the loyalty factor. Most of us are coming over from blackberry phones, and didn't want to leave. Ever since the droids phones started to get popular, most have waited and waited for RIM to offer something, ANYTHING on par with the lineup of droid phones. Finally, RIM offered a new OS that wont work on most of their current phones, and the soon to be released phones are a slider and clamshell with 512 mb of RAM, which are still behind the android phones. Motorola is talking about putting out a phone with a 2 ghz processor, 720P recording, and 4.3 inch screen?? Even if it doesn't happen, that's the kind of positive buzz you need to create within your organization.

The attraction to the Droid was simply too much for most of us to bear. Leaving blackberry is bittersweet for most, and we sincerely hope that RIM starts to step to the plate and hit some homeruns.
    07-29-10 05:06 PM
    Why wouldn't I? If they innovate something that's better than the Droid OS why would I shut them out? If the HP/Palm team up creates the next must have device I'd go there as well. I was not bashing RIM just pointing out that the status quo is not going to retain even their loyal customer base any longer. There are just too many better options available and for me, based on my needs at present, the Droid X is the best device available. I simply posted because I'm sure there are many loyal RIM clients who are on the fence and fear changing vendors. All I'm saying is that the change for most Blackberry users is nothing to fear unless your primary application is push email services and you cannot wait 3-5 minutes for email.
    07-29-10 06:03 PM
    Why wouldn't I? If they innovate something that's better than the Droid OS why would I shut them out? If the HP/Palm team up creates the next must have device I'd go there as well. I was not bashing RIM just pointing out that the status quo is not going to retain even their loyal customer base any longer. There are just too many better options available and for me, based on my needs at present, the Droid X is the best device available. I simply posted because I'm sure there are many loyal RIM clients who are on the fence and fear changing vendors. All I'm saying is that the change for most Blackberry users is nothing to fear unless your primary application is push email services and you cannot wait 3-5 minutes for email.
    It wasn't meant to be a personal attack, I was just laughing at how many other posts are like your original one.
    07-29-10 07:47 PM
    main reason why i left rim was because there phones are slow overall =/
    07-29-10 07:57 PM
    I think the good news for RIM is that so many of us that have left will in fact leave the door open to return, That cannot however squander that chance. Palm had the same opportunity and blew it. I hope they read post like this and as you said so many others have posted similar responses. Anyway for today my Droid meets my needs. They will however have to keep improving this mousetrap or the will be left wondering who move my cheese...
    07-29-10 09:40 PM
    main reason why i left rim was because there phones are slow overall =/
    me too, don't have time for that
    07-29-10 10:14 PM
    Well said.
    I will be getting my DX today. I went through 4 Storm 1's and 3 Storm 2's. I will not miss the battery pulls, multiple clicking issues, un-level screen, buttons that wont click sometimes, slow browser that my Storms have had.
    Like the original poster said, I held out as long as I could for RIM to step up to the plate and come out with an OS that is more modern and a quality browser. OS 6 doesnt look like it does that for me with the exception of a better browser. But since it looks like S2 wont support OS6, I opted to go Droid.
    I do not use my phone for business so instant email is not an issue for me. 3-5 minutes is an acceptable sacrifice for a better user experience that the Droid will give me.
    07-30-10 05:13 AM
    Its going to be very hard to go back to BB for me but i do feel a loyalty to BB. I just got my wife a 9650 (the phone I had every intention on getting prior to landing an EVO) and as beautiful as her 9650 is, the screen is just so small and the device almost seems like a toy....its amazing.....i just don't see how i would ever go back....
    07-30-10 07:19 AM
    I still have my Storm 1 also but... It continued to be slow and battery pulls were required often. Overall the phone failed!

DROID X! Is Grrrr8!
    07-30-10 08:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD