I remember when I owned an Android before, for just about any app I downlloaded it needed my personal info like my phone contact list, my broswer, SD card, phone number...

Why do they need all of it? Is it safe to give them so? What about Blackberry, do they need/take as much info from us without even knowing? Or do we?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-11 07:48 AM
    Indeed agreed, so many Android apps know too much about me. Thus when I buy an Android phone I always consider whether it can be rooted, because with a rooted phone I'm able to revoke permissions of apps.
    I do not own a Blackberry yet but as far as I have heard, with BES, you may customize permissions of individual application.
    08-04-11 07:36 PM
    it basically is a lazy developer. the same thing applies with BB apps sometimes. A dev will just have the app ask for everything so its easier to code more or less.
    southlander likes this.
    08-04-11 07:47 PM
    None of my android apps ask for permissions they don't need access too.

I haven't seen a trend where they ask for all those permissions in every app. The only permission I see in almost every app is Phone State, which give the app the ability to know when a phonecall is coming in and can pause what it's doing if it needs to to accommodate the call.
    08-04-11 07:54 PM
    the other thing is, why does android like to tag every photo you take with the location? whats next, which room of the house you're in? *bathroom, bedroom lol whats up android
    08-05-11 09:31 AM
    its called geolocation other platforms have the same option. if you dont like it turn it off....
    08-05-11 09:44 AM
    To the OP, Apps in Android WANT your info, they don't need it. Nothing is for free: app makers collect the data and eavesdrop on what you're doing, either selling the data raw or compiling it internally and selling that to advertisers. Too many people don't get past "OOOOOO, Free, shinny!" or exercise a bit of restraint with their personal data. Googlevoice's transcript is the one that really kills me: it's a fantastic technology expect now in addition to all your typical data being recorded on your phone they are recording and writing down what your friends are saying to you.

I know, I know, I'm paranoid. The response I get all the time is "who cares about me, I don't do anything bad anyways..."

But think of it in the physical world: if I handed you $10 in the street, said I'm going to take some notes in return and do "nothing bad" with it would you:
    1) let me copy all of your text messages into a book?
    2) poke around your address book and take all the names and numbers of all your friends and family
    3) take your picture (facebook tagging is great!)
    4) walk around behind you, figure out who your kids are, call a friend on a phone and say "this person's children are..." so their files including pictures can be added to your's?
    so on and so forth...

I grew up with those old spy movies where the "communists" listened in and spied on people. Well, welcome, we're there.

All for a free copy of angry birds...
    TrespassersW likes this.
    08-06-11 12:08 PM
    Hmmm true. But according to everything I've read so far, aren't all phones tracking your Data, even Blackberry? Cuz they all store it in case they need to look at it if something happened or they want to. Point is I think all phones are tracking info regardless. Android might just be more open on letting you know?

K Bear likes this.
    08-06-11 01:46 PM
    google/android tells you flat out what its doing and you can opt out if you want
    08-06-11 01:59 PM
    google/android tells you flat out what its doing and you can opt out if you want
    The way to opt out is to not use I Google/Android. I've opted out.

Last edited by T�nis; 08-06-11 at 02:46 PM.
    08-06-11 02:42 PM
    To the OP, Apps in Android WANT your info, they don't need it. Nothing is for free: app makers collect the data and eavesdrop on what you're doing, either selling the data raw or compiling it internally and selling that to advertisers. Too many people don't get past "OOOOOO, Free, shinny!" or exercise a bit of restraint with their personal data. Googlevoice's transcript is the one that really kills me: it's a fantastic technology expect now in addition to all your typical data being recorded on your phone they are recording and writing down what your friends are saying to you.

I know, I know, I'm paranoid. The response I get all the time is "who cares about me, I don't do anything bad anyways..."

But think of it in the physical world: if I handed you $10 in the street, said I'm going to take some notes in return and do "nothing bad" with it would you:
    1) let me copy all of your text messages into a book?
    2) poke around your address book and take all the names and numbers of all your friends and family
    3) take your picture (facebook tagging is great!)
    4) walk around behind you, figure out who your kids are, call a friend on a phone and say "this person's children are..." so their files including pictures can be added to your's?
    so on and so forth...

I grew up with those old spy movies where the "communists" listened in and spied on people. Well, welcome, we're there.

All for a free copy of angry birds...
    It's not just the app makers. Google's compiling the information, too. And the CIA's gotta be loving this facebook bs. No need to investigate anyone when everyone willingly supplies and updates all personal information. The spooks gotta be laughing their a$$es off.
    08-06-11 02:55 PM
    the other thing is, why does android like to tag every photo you take with the location? whats next, which room of the house you're in? *bathroom, bedroom lol whats up android
    It is geotagging. BBs do this as well, if you do not turn off the option. It is a current trend with digital photography, and that is the reason it exists with cameras on phones.
    No, no... only Android does it. Android created the unavoidable evil euphemistically called geo-tagging.
    08-06-11 03:13 PM
    The way to opt out is to not use I Google/Android. I've opted out.

Make sure to opt out of ALL search engines, web forums (like these that, that record your IP number), traffic lights, credit AND debit cards and more.
    K Bear, avt123 and howarmat like this.
    08-06-11 03:22 PM
    So basically all phones do it, Android is just open about telling you?

08-06-11 04:26 PM
    Google and Android proponents want you think that Google and Android are not the worst, that everybody else is just as bad, but don't be fooled. Google and Android are the worst when it comes to mining and compiling your data.

08-06-11 04:42 PM
    So basically all phones do it, Android is just open about telling you?

Frankly, Google is an ad company. I think Android users should be aware. I also think your data is being mined, whether or not you use Android.

I don't feel any more exposed now than when I was BB user, but I also used Google products heavily.
    08-06-11 04:59 PM
    Seems like a few tinfoil hat wearers have popped up. Idk from my experience with BB is the apps seem to ask the same permissions that apps for android and ios do. I agree with lazy developers theory and I noticed when it asks anything about my phone its talking about reading phone state. Like incoming phone calls and when the phone hangs up. Why it needs to know that is because despite what allot of people think these devices people tie so much of their life to still are phones. Yes you can still make phone calls from it. No not video calls, real actual radiation giving phone calls.
    I do check what permissions I give to any app, even angry birds.
    Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by drethos; 08-06-11 at 05:24 PM.
    08-06-11 05:21 PM
    Ya it's like you can't win, you tell people what your doing, their concerned, you don't tell them, their concerned.

I just updated Evernote on my BB and it asked for about as much as the Evernote on Android does.
    08-06-11 09:20 PM
    Google gives away Android for free because they make money through it by supporting their advertising. They collect data to sell ads and information. So I think that Google does a little more with personal information than say a RIM, or MS. Apple is doing more with data collected by the phones with talk of getting traffic data by pulling tracking data from phones etc. However any third party app for any platform that you give permission to could know where you are, send that info back somewhere and either send you targeted ads or sell that info to other parties.
    08-06-11 09:32 PM
    Frankly, Google is an ad company. I think Android users should be aware. I also think your data is being mined, whether or not you use Android.

I don't feel any more exposed now than when I was BB user, but I also used Google products heavily.
    This. Data mining has been around for a long long time. It's just a way for businesses to get good consumer info we consumers won't give out ourselves.

Sent from my ADR6300
    08-06-11 09:37 PM
    Its because android has open api's to integrate apps into other stuff like contacts. Its actually a beloved feature and hilarious anyone would hate on it

08-06-11 10:04 PM
    Google and Android proponents want you think that Google and Android are not the worst, that everybody else is just as bad, but don't be fooled. Google and Android are the worst when it comes to mining and compiling your data.

You spread more false information and out right uninformed misguided made up lies than I've ever seen on any forum, its incredible really. As I read through your posts I laugh and think, hah! He'll never top that, then sure enough, you do

K Bear likes this.
    08-06-11 10:07 PM
    You spread more false information and out right uninformed misguided made up lies than I've ever seen on any forum, its incredible really. As I read through your posts I laugh and think, hah! He'll never top that, then sure enough, you do

Hence, the love for fact checking

Sent from my ADR6300
    08-06-11 10:12 PM
    This. Data mining has been around for a long long time. It's just a way for businesses to get good consumer info we consumers won't give out ourselves.

Sent from my ADR6300
    YUP!

Every company does some level of data mining and every smartphone collects your data

there are drastic differences with how the data is used, but you are a tinfoil hat person get rid of your cellphones!
    08-06-11 10:42 PM

This guy is using a BlackBerry because he knows ... He can't afford to have Google/Android stealing his contacts and other personal information.
    08-07-11 06:17 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD