My phone is really pissing me off lately. I have a Moto Droid, and it has been acting strange. The backlight on the keyboard and the 4 keys at the bottom of the screen works sporadically, half the time when I hang up my phone all the icons are gone and I have reboot the phone to get them back, all my email from one account just sit in my outbox even though the settings are all correct and the email app verifies that, etc...

The phone has been perfect up until about 10 days ago. All I did between now and then was install Google Translate...which I haven't ever even used.

My phone is rooted, but I haven't used an programs that require it or anything. How can I restore the phone or do something to try and fix these problems? It is driving me crazy and I am starting to hate the phone.

Does anybody have any ideas as to how I can bring this thing back to normal?
    01-22-10 09:10 AM
    So I just figured out a quirk. I rebooted my phone a few minutes ago to get my icons back, and everything was working great. I was walking through my office and walked into a dark room. After a second the 4 home keys light up and the screen went blank. I don't see ANYTHING except for my wallpaper...all icons are gone. The app drawer works though.

This is really pissing me off. I am about 10 mintes away from heading over to the Verizon store and getting a Tour or Storm2. Android has a lot of fun things about it, but if the stupid thing doesn't work it isn't worth $1.
    01-22-10 09:22 AM
    Have you uninstalled google translate seems to be the culprit based on your first post....
    01-22-10 09:57 AM
    You said that you are rooted correct? If so any custom roms that you installed? If not I suggest if you have nandroid installled to go over to alldroid and grab a fresh 2.0.1 and see if installing a clean untouched rom will fix it. Also you may want to try to just do a factory reset and see if the problem persists.
    01-22-10 10:04 AM
    Imagine that, you go jacking around with the phone's ROM and it goes all wonky.

Weird.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-10 10:18 AM
    You said that you are rooted correct? If so any custom roms that you installed? If not I suggest if you have nandroid installled to go over to alldroid and grab a fresh 2.0.1 and see if installing a clean untouched rom will fix it. Also you may want to try to just do a factory reset and see if the problem persists.
    I didn't install a custom ROM, at least I don't think so. I don't have nandroid, and I am not real familiar with installing ROM's, backing up, etc...

I have a TON of apps and widgets on my phone and I don't want to have to reinstall everything.

How do I do a factory reset, and what will that do to all my apps and everything?
    01-22-10 10:19 AM
    Imagine that, you go jacking around with the phone's ROM and it goes all wonky.

Weird.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Worked fine for about 6 weeks. Also, I didn't go "jacking around with the phone's ROM", I followed the simple rooting instructions. I don't know why I did it, must have been bored one day.
    01-22-10 10:20 AM
    disable any home replacements if you're using one. return to stock os and see if you still have the problem, wherever you learned to do the root from will also show you how to return to stock.

if that doesn't work, you can try out a tour or storm2. those are good blackberry phones. good luck!
    01-22-10 10:42 AM
    i suggest not taking it in to verizon unless you go back to the official release. i've seen our tech team refuse help to anyone who's rooted. you void your warranty when you install third party OS's
    01-22-10 10:44 AM
    It sounds like you have an app/apps that maybe currupt and/or eating up memory.

Maybe a widget? Home screen replacement? Some sort of beta software? Something running in services?

Its hard to diagnose the problem if we don't know whats on your phone.

Usually icons won't/take a long time to load on home screen if yer low on memory, or you have a widget/widgets that need to load a lot of data.

It also sounds like you need to clear the cache in your phone.
    Last edited by x1208x; 01-22-10 at 02:35 PM.
    01-22-10 02:32 PM
    It is funny, all I heard from Storm users that were defecting to the Droid was how great is was going to be to not have to upgrade the OS or reboot the phone. Sounds like the Droid has the same problems that the Storm used to have. Guess you have to deal with buggy software no matter what phone you choose.
    01-22-10 02:54 PM
    It is funny, all I heard from Storm users that were defecting to the Droid was how great is was going to be to not have to upgrade the OS or reboot the phone. Sounds like the Droid has the same problems that the Storm used to have. Guess you have to deal with buggy software no matter what phone you choose.
    The DROID she has is rooted. (you can look it up) Therefore with those rights there is a bunch of things that could be wrong.

Dude do your homework before you spout off about which you do not know.
    01-22-10 02:59 PM
    not true at all. let us educate you a little....

the droid runs very fast and perfectly fine on the stock os and stock applications. the same cannot be said for the storm1 or storm2.

the only time people start running into problems with the droid is when they start tinkering with the os for no good reason and don't really know what they're doing. (no offense to the op) or they add homescreen replacements that are nice, but admittedly have their own bugs.

the only other times that the droid has problems is because of poorly coded applications or apps that are not developed/optimized for android os 2 is.

...there you go.
    01-22-10 03:08 PM
    not true at all. let us educate you a little....

the droid runs very fast and perfectly fine on the stock os and stock applications. the same cannot be said for the storm1 or storm2.

the only time people start running into problems with the droid is when they start tinkering with the os for no good reason and don't really know what they're doing. (no offense to the op) or they add homescreen replacements that are nice, but admittedly have their own bugs.

the only other times that the droid has problems is because of poorly coded applications or apps that are not developed/optimized for android os 2 is.

...there you go.
    My Storm 1 runs perfectly fine with the current official released OS. the same things you describe as causing problems for the Droid are the same things that cause problems on the Storm.

And if the Stock OS is so great on the Droid, why am I hearing so much about people clamoring for 2.1 to be released. A phone that "runs very fast and perfectly fine on the stock os" shouldn't need any updates, right?
    01-22-10 03:43 PM
    My Storm 1 runs perfectly fine with the current official released OS. the same things you describe as causing problems for the Droid are the same things that cause problems on the Storm.

And if the Stock OS is so great on the Droid, why am I hearing so much about people clamoring for 2.1 to be released. A phone that "runs very fast and perfectly fine on the stock os" shouldn't need any updates, right?
    Could it be that everyone wants the newest thing out there? IMO, 2.1 has nothing to do with fixing but rather as adding to.
    01-22-10 03:56 PM
    @OP ... its got to be due to a 3rd party app you downloaded in the market. Do you use apps like taskiller? I've tested out over a weeks time w/o killing anything and even removing apps like taskiller that my droid runs a lot better. Its been linked that task killing apps actually are teh cause of phone instability.

PLEASE READ: Do NOT worry about Apps running in the Background - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
    01-22-10 05:05 PM
    My phone is really pissing me off lately. I have a Moto Droid, and it has been acting strange. The backlight on the keyboard and the 4 keys at the bottom of the screen works sporadically, half the time when I hang up my phone all the icons are gone and I have reboot the phone to get them back, all my email from one account just sit in my outbox even though the settings are all correct and the email app verifies that, etc...

The phone has been perfect up until about 10 days ago. All I did between now and then was install Google Translate...which I haven't ever even used.

My phone is rooted, but I haven't used an programs that require it or anything. How can I restore the phone or do something to try and fix these problems? It is driving me crazy and I am starting to hate the phone.

Does anybody have any ideas as to how I can bring this thing back to normal?
    Battery pull?
    01-22-10 05:07 PM

You have obviously never used any of the newer Android phones.

You roam the Android Section because you either are:

A) Interested in Android Devices and come here to check out the latest news.

B)Just try to get self justification by saying your phone is better and obviously lying to yourself.
    01-22-10 06:47 PM
    inaccurate and not even close. it took rim a year to develop an os for the storm that is relatively stable. even now, the os on storm1/2 is slower and more prone to lockups and random resets than android 2.0 on the droid. people are still using hybrids to try and get the storm working like it should. those are not the same things i described as causing problems for the op.

now you're just being dense. that's like saying never try to innovate or grow the platform. just keep things the same, old and stale...you know, kinda like rim with the blackberry os.

people want 2.1 because it adds new functionality (like more screens), improves upon existing functionality (like the gallery app), and further optimizes the os for even better performance on android phones.
    01-22-10 10:07 PM

Because my friend, we all want more. We are spoiled little brats that want more and more regardless of how great a phone is. It's the nature of the beast being in this forum. That being said, the Droid experience is in no way as bad as the Storm 1. That is a rediculous statement. A stock Droid runs circles around any Storm.
    01-22-10 11:32 PM
    No.

The OP has what is called user error...pretty simply concept.

My Droid just kicks the Storms a$$ (1 and 2) with such efficiency it's pretty sad to think of my Storm as an 8track to my Droid as a Blu-Ray disc!

There isn't a comparison, even the email is better...

It's all about the Droid.

ALL devices have defects, problems and issues.
    My device isn't one of those...

Sorry to burst your BB bubble.
    Last edited by SilvioBenussi; 01-23-10 at 03:06 AM.
    01-23-10 02:55 AM

Uh, huh!!!!

-Download 50 apps... (and being able to reinstall them after paying for them
    without performing a backup)
    -Sync 5 different email accounts and import ALL conversations from each of them.....
    -download, watch HD movies without running out of memory (STOCK)
    -Have FULL Control of your phone
    -Run a superior GPS program that is intuitive as much as it is FREE
    -Using a software keyboard that is SUPERIOR to that of any Storm...
    -Having the ability NOT having to hit the refresh button LOOKING desperately for the newest/latest leaked OS...AND not having to Shrink the OS or WIPE the device to preserve the precious megabytes Storm users frequently salivate over...

ALL of this...please get back to me when you can do ALL of these things without pulling your battery, simulating a battery pull, or having any sort of issues at all....

Please let me know when you can do this.

Oh, wait-
    01-23-10 03:05 AM
    I didn't install a custom ROM, at least I don't think so. I don't have nandroid, and I am not real familiar with installing ROM's, backing up, etc...

I have a TON of apps and widgets on my phone and I don't want to have to reinstall everything.

How do I do a factory reset, and what will that do to all my apps and everything?
    While everyone is distracted by the Storm Crack addict....

I'd recommend a factory reset. My assumption is you're running a Home Replacement, Task killer, and never clear the cache on any RSS readers you have. Especially if it's ran for so long with no issues.

When you root a phone, you HAVE to put a custom ROM on it. That's kind of the whole point of rooting a phone. . So you've put a 3rd-party ROM on the phone, some buggy apps, and aren't sure what to do. I'd be frustrated too.

When you do a factory reset, the phone automatically re-downloads any/all programs you previously had installed - Google keeps all that information "In The Cloud". ****, it even keeps your Wi-Fi password settings in there!

So again, I'd un-root your phone, do a factory reset, and then remove the Home Replacement and Task Killer programs. There's many forums both here, AndroidCentral, DroidForums, and wherever else that state those are both buggy and can cause problems. No matter how freaking sweet they may look...
    01-23-10 07:38 AM
    inaccurate and not even close. it took rim a year to develop an os for the storm that is relatively stable. even now, the os on storm1/2 is slower and more prone to lockups and random resets than android 2.0 on the droid. people are still using hybrids to try and get the storm working like it should. those are not the same things i described as causing problems for the op.

now you're just being dense. that's like saying never try to innovate or grow the platform. just keep things the same, old and stale...you know, kinda like rim with the blackberry os.

people want 2.1 because it adds new functionality (like more screens), improves upon existing functionality (like the gallery app), and further optimizes the os for even better performance on android phones.
    Lets start at the top, I never have any lockups or random resets with my Storm. I have never installed a hybrid and I don't really see the need. My phone does everything I need it to perfectly.

So when RIM updates software on a phone it is only to fix errors, but when Motorola/Google does it is to improve upon existing functionality. Way to dress it up to sound nice and pretty. I am sure that Android 2.1 won't address the myriad of problems that people are talking about in the Android Central forums.

My point isn't really to say that one phone is better than the other, only that there are issues and ways to improve every phone on the market.
    01-23-10 12:41 PM

There isn't a comparison, even the email is better...
    There isn't a device out there on the market that does email better than a Blackberry. Android does a ton of great things, but it has a way to go to catch up to Blackberry when it comes to email.

ALL devices have defects, problems and issues.
    My device isn't one of those...
    My device isn't one of those either...
    01-23-10 12:44 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD