I'm kinda looking for an Android device, but i'm a bit confused about the differences between models.

Can someone point to or make a definitive list of all current Android devices, and the differences between them?
    08-11-10 01:02 PM
    Uh.... Too many to point out differences...... First narrow it down by carrier. Then again by choosing touchscreen or keyboard. After that you might get some help...... Do more research....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-10 01:09 PM
    You're kidding right?

Here's what a Google search turned up:

Best Android Phones | Page 2

I guess you are going to have to check out the stats for the Samsung Galaxy S series yourself.
    08-11-10 01:11 PM
    I'm kinda looking for an Android device, but i'm a bit confused about the differences between models.

Can someone point to or make a definitive list of all current Android devices, and the differences between them?
    the major differences is
    1) hardware: what chip sets are being used. Personally i'd use Samsung or HTC @ the current moment
    2) what Android OS: 1.5 being the most basic being used, most phone are being rolled out to 2.2 or 2.1, dependent on flash "usability"
    3) screen size
    4) button layout.
    08-11-10 01:20 PM
    You're kidding right?

Here's what a Google search turned up:

Best Android Phones | Page 2

I guess you are going to have to check out the stats for the Samsung Galaxy S series yourself.
    Meaning I'm not about to type all the differences. I'm glad you posted a link. But I'm not going to spend 20min typing all differences when maybe this person won't have that device choice because of a specific carrier.

08-11-10 01:22 PM
    Meaning I'm not about to type all the differences. I'm glad you posted a link. But I'm not going to spend 20min typing all differences when maybe this person won't have that device choice because of a specific carrier.

Chill dude... your post sneaked in when I was gathering and typing out my post. My comment wasn't directed at you.
    Pardon me for not using the quote button to capture the OP's post.
    08-11-10 01:24 PM
    the major differences is
    1) hardware: what chip sets are being used. Personally i'd use Samsung or HTC @ the current moment
    2) what Android OS: 1.5 being the most basic being used, most phone are being rolled out to 2.2 or 2.1, dependent on flash "usability"
    3) screen size
    4) button layout.
    Why? Samsung is extremely flakey when it comes to Android devices. The thing doesn't even have a LED notification light, TouchWiz UI is very slow compared to the DX/D2 UI and Sense and the GPS is horrible. Also, according to many reviews and user feedback, the battery life is pretty abysmal. I know that may not be the case for all users, but many people are pointing this out. The hardware is awesome, but the hummingbird processor doesn't really run in "performance mode". It seems the device take longer to reach its full potential where as the DX, Inc, and EVO seem to hit Max clock the fastest, basically almost when you first touch the device. The GS has better hardware than the DX (basically just the GPU and the CPU is a tad better), but the DX smokes it in benchmarks. They are both still on 2.1. HTC is good as well, but battery life is horrible and IMO most HTC devices feel cheap. I have really come to like the Moto metal finish.

To the OP, there are many variable to consider and it is way to hard to just list all the differences between all the devices, because honestly, a lot of them have the same specs but the UI is what makes the experience different.
    08-11-10 01:27 PM
    Uh.... Too many to point out differences...... First narrow it down by carrier. Then again by choosing touchscreen or keyboard. After that you might get some help...... Do more research....

I don't care i=f it's touchscreen or HW KB, and I'm on Bell and considering switching to Telus so if Bel Or Telus don't offer it it can be unlocked to put on bell or Telus.
    08-11-10 11:18 PM
    Why? Samsung is extremely flakey when it comes to Android devices. The thing doesn't even have a LED notification light, TouchWiz UI is very slow compared to the DX/D2 UI and Sense and the GPS is horrible. Also, according to many reviews and user feedback, the battery life is pretty abysmal. I know that may not be the case for all users, but many people are pointing this out. The hardware is awesome, but the hummingbird processor doesn't really run in "performance mode". It seems the device take longer to reach its full potential where as the DX, Inc, and EVO seem to hit Max clock the fastest, basically almost when you first touch the device. The GS has better hardware than the DX (basically just the GPU and the CPU is a tad better), but the DX smokes it in benchmarks. They are both still on 2.1. HTC is good as well, but battery life is horrible and IMO most HTC devices feel cheap. I have really come to like the Moto metal finish.

To the OP, there are many variable to consider and it is way to hard to just list all the differences between all the devices, because honestly, a lot of them have the same specs but the UI is what makes the experience different.
    Benchmarks don't mean much when the phone runs faster in real world performance. That is what gives the Galaxy S an advantage, it is out of the box very fast, and getting faster with what the dev's are coming out with. It comes down to personal preference which is said all the time. Just play with phones and see which one fits your style.
    08-12-10 12:03 AM

i'm the J E R K that will go to the kiosk and play with different phones, knowing that i will not buy them but i want to tinker.

IMHO HTC makes some of the best hardware known to man. I've owned three HTC phones and never had the problems with any of the hardware/firmware at all.

the Samsung Galaxy Line is Amazing, the screen is 4 inch screen with some 1.7million colors... stunning. and it's able to be overclocked to 1.2G and 1.6 is shortly following... nothing will be faster /as of current devices/

Motorola DroidX has a locked SPL, which goes against everything that android stands for. Android was developed as on OPEN platform. Not one that is locked and confined to what the manufacturer wants.

If the Motorola Droid2, and/or R2D2 variant comes with a locked SPL i will not be recommending Motorola Androids to ANYONE i don't care how fast, or how slick they are... it's not going to happen.

I've got a co-worker that just ordered a DroidX phone, should be here on the 20th. any who i was showing him how Barnacle can use my phone as a wi-fi hotspot, and i can use PreMoteDroid to control my computer, and how i can over clock, and how easy it is to load extra ROMS, and he was in aw over the stuff my little Google Ion can do.

but since he has a locked SPL, no extra ROMS for him. And after i explained it to him, and that unless someone can figure out how to bypass the SPL lock when Motorola and ZVW stop caring about the phone, he'll be locked into an out dated OS.
    Last edited by mjneid; 08-12-10 at 08:16 AM.
    08-12-10 08:10 AM
    +1 for the overclock to 1.2ghz on the galaxy s just did the overclock yesterday running nice
    08-12-10 10:16 AM
    +1 for the overclock to 1.2ghz on the galaxy s just did the overclock yesterday running nice
    Evo can do this also
    08-12-10 10:20 AM
    Evo can do this also
    1.2, not the potential for 1.6. And the Galaxy S is very stable at 1.2, I don't believe the Evo could be as stable.
    08-12-10 10:44 AM
    yeah can't wait for the 1.6
    08-12-10 10:48 AM
    al right you lost me.
    08-12-10 11:18 AM
    Benchmarks don't mean much when the phone runs faster in real world performance. That is what gives the Galaxy S an advantage, it is out of the box very fast, and getting faster with what the dev's are coming out with. It comes down to personal preference which is said all the time. Just play with phones and see which one fits your style.
    I was gonna ask someone what's all the hype about this benchmark stuff.

Do you win something?

I just wanna know what is the point.
    08-12-10 11:42 AM
    That's the thing, out of the box the Captivate is NOT faster. It is slow as **** do to Samsungs terrible UI. Even if you change that there is still lag. I have used the device and read the reviews. It should be the best Android device out, but it is not.

I'm talking about stock. Yes, the devs are making it faster. That's the only way it will be faster. That CPU does't seem to clock up as fast like the DX. I ran them side by side in a local store and DX performed much faster without hiccups. Both using launcherpro.

It is still nice device, but I wouldn't touch it do to no notification light, the GPS being terrible and Samsungs past history with Android.
    08-12-10 11:42 AM
    Come on man. It is not slow out of the box. The UI is not close to terrible when you get use to it. You can get an app for the notification issue which works just fine, GPS is an issue but it is getting fixed. It has some issues like most devices do, it just comes down to user preference. Yours is for the Dx, mine is the Captivate because there is nothing better on ATT.

Its cool, and personally I see much more development happening with the Galaxy then Moto Dx which is also a benefit. I think the point is to have the ability to not just use a stock phone, and to be able to tweak all of this stuff to make it run great, so maybe the Dx out of the box is better but overall it is a device that is not capable of doing what the Galaxy can do.

My opinion doesn't matter, not arguing with you either. Just fun conversation since the internet forum's can be overblown with stuff.
    08-12-10 02:40 PM
    Come on man. It is not slow out of the box. The UI is not close to terrible when you get use to it. You can get an app for the notification issue which works just fine, GPS is an issue but it is getting fixed. It has some issues like most devices do, it just comes down to user preference. Yours is for the Dx, mine is the Captivate because there is nothing better on ATT.

Its cool, and personally I see much more development happening with the Galaxy then Moto Dx which is also a benefit. I think the point is to have the ability to not just use a stock phone, and to be able to tweak all of this stuff to make it run great, so maybe the Dx out of the box is better but overall it is a device that is not capable of doing what the Galaxy can do.

My opinion doesn't matter, not arguing with you either. Just fun conversation since the internet forum's can be overblown with stuff.
    It is slow compared to the rest, besides devices with the original MotoBlur. TouchWiz UI is one of the biggest complaints about the device.

More development is going on for the GS because the DX has a locked bootloader. Although, you can overclock and theme the DX currently. You just can't install custom ROMs.

What can the GS do tat the DX can't? Play games a little bit better? That's not that big of a deal to me. I can get 30+ hours of battery life, the GS is nowhere close to that. The GS is a good device, I just do not think it was optimized properly.
    08-12-10 02:56 PM
    It is slow compared to the rest, besides devices with the original MotoBlur. TouchWiz UI is one of the biggest complaints about the device.

More development is going on for the GS because the DX has a locked bootloader. Although, you can overclock and theme the DX currently. You just can't install custom ROMs.

What can the GS do tat the DX can't? Play games a little bit better? That's not that big of a deal to me. I can get 30+ hours of battery life, the GS is nowhere close to that. The GS is a good device, I just do not think it was optimized properly.
    also add that the bootloader for the DX got cracked so custom roms to come lol
    08-12-10 03:00 PM
    Motorola DroidX has a locked SPL, which goes against everything that android stands for. Android was developed as on OPEN platform. Not one that is locked and confined to what the manufacturer wants.

If the Motorola Droid2, and/or R2D2 variant comes with a locked SPL i will not be recommending Motorola Androids to ANYONE i don't care how fast, or how slick they are... it's not going to happen.

I've got a co-worker that just ordered a DroidX phone, should be here on the 20th. any who i was showing him how Barnacle can use my phone as a wi-fi hotspot, and i can use PreMoteDroid to control my computer, and how i can over clock, and how easy it is to load extra ROMS, and he was in aw over the stuff my little Google Ion can do.

but since he has a locked SPL, no extra ROMS for him. And after i explained it to him, and that unless someone can figure out how to bypass the SPL lock when Motorola and ZVW stop caring about the phone, he'll be locked into an out dated OS.
    The bootloader is being worked on, and progress is good so far. Honestly, I can I don't care at this point because once an LTE Android device comes out, I will get it. If Moto decides to keep locking the bootloader, I will not buy another Moto device. I like the build quality 100x better than HTC. The Incredible feels flimsy IMO compared to the DX.

Yes the locked bootloader is against everything Android stands for, but Verizon probably made Moto do it because they are tired of people tethering for free. I am very confident the Birdman will have the bootloader unlocked very soon.
    08-12-10 03:01 PM
    also add that the bootloader for the DX got cracked so custom roms to come lol
    Sort of. Just need a working recovery for the masses and hopefully good to go.
    08-12-10 03:02 PM
    I was gonna ask someone what's all the hype about this benchmark stuff.

Do you win something?

I just wanna know what is the point.
    Benchmarks help to show the performance of the device. Some are not ver accurate, and others are.
    08-12-10 03:03 PM
    A locked bootloader isn't a big deal to me. I haven't even rooted my X because it's fine the way it is out of the box. The only things I've done to mine is install LP and customize my home screen. I guess I don't care about ROMs anymore because this phone is very fast and smooth at stock unlike the D1.
    08-12-10 03:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD