I have two friends with Android phones now, one has the htc tattoo and the other htc wildfire that he just bought a few days ago. We've set up google talk so we don't sms anymore but none of them seem to be able to send and receive photos or any other files.
    I thought this was supposed to rival bbm, and how come my blackberry can send and receive photos trough the gmail app and a new google android cant?
    Anyway, is there a solution for them, a download or something?

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-10 12:27 PM
    I believe ping has the capabilities to send pictures and videos. As far as I know Google talk can't do any is this.
    08-18-10 12:40 PM
    Gtalk on the android phones DOES NOT have file transfer. I have mentioned this as a huge drawback in TONS of threads. This is one thing that makes BBM superior.
    08-18-10 12:48 PM
    Oddly enough, you CAN send attached files to other BB users over Google Talk. I actually assumed that Android users could as well...until I noticed that I didn't have the option with any of my Android device owning friends.
    08-18-10 12:56 PM
    Never mind BBM, Google Talk for blackberry can do this and google's own phone can't? A little embarrassing dare I say
    Is there a work around for it?

08-18-10 12:58 PM
    The new bbm takes photo sharing to a new level yet, it sends small photos by default now and I you want the full photo you click menu and then you request a higher quality version of it. I assume this is to save data or to accidentally send a large photo to somebody who was roaming at the time.

Lol, just felt like throwing that in

08-18-10 01:06 PM
    BBM is great if everyone you know (or a large number of your contacts) uses BBM. Gtalk is great because it is not proprietary software and anyone on any platform can use it.

Im pretty positive Ping has the capabilities you are looking for.
    08-18-10 02:00 PM
    lol@the one thing that makes BBM superior! Now if I could just use BBM to share files with people I know (how am I going to convince them all to go back to BB?) oh well, ping, face book, dropbox, email, sms, oh the hardship

Gtalk shares files, photos, videos just fine, and has done so for ever. You can expect the mobile version to be there soon
    08-18-10 02:44 PM
    Never mind BBM, Google Talk for blackberry can do this and google's own phone can't? A little embarrassing dare I say
    Is there a work around for it?

Send an MMS or an email? Don't think you're gonna get to work using Google Talk.
    08-18-10 03:26 PM
    lol@the one thing that makes BBM superior! Now if I could just use BBM to share files with people I know (how am I going to convince them all to go back to BB?) oh well, ping, face book, dropbox, email, sms, oh the hardship

Gtalk shares files, photos, videos just fine, and has done so for ever. You can expect the mobile version to be there soon
    Gtalk for blackberry does all that above just fine, even the 8700s and I suspect the 7290 could do that too if not even earlier ones

I am surprised android owners haven't pushed google to introduce this yet. I would've been very annoyed if I would've changed to android expecting gtalk to replace bbm only to find it can only do texting.

Oh well.

08-18-10 03:33 PM
    Gtalk for blackberry does all that above just fine, even the 8700s and I suspect the 7290 could do that too if not even earlier ones

I am surprised android owners haven't pushed google to introduce this yet. I would've been very annoyed if I would've changed to android expecting gtalk to replace bbm only to find it can only do texting.

Oh well.

Honestly, Android users have so many options, a lot of us don't care. Like I said, Ping can do this, so there is other options. And once again, most of our options can be used on multiple platforms, so we aren't stuck like BBM users.
    08-18-10 04:08 PM

Oh well.

ha ha, you can do more than text, lol! Group chats, sharing links, it is all in there. Besides, I have a first class browser that can take advantage of Gtalks computer based chat...BBM only works on a phone? Oh well....

Sharing pictures is way better using a good photo sharing client anyway. I would use BBM as the last method on this planet to host photos.

Do some research on the android OS. You might find more possibilities than you think! You may even want to ditch that storm. I ditched mine, and haven't even thought about looking back
    Last edited by johnly; 08-18-10 at 04:33 PM.
    08-18-10 04:16 PM
    ha ha, you can do more than text, lol! Group chats, sharing links, it is all in there. Besides, I have a first class browser that can take advantage of Gtalks computer based chat...BBM only works on a phone? Oh well....

Sharing pictures is way better using a good photo sharing client anyway. I would use BBM as the last method on this planet to host photos.

Do some research on the android OS. You might find more possibilities than you think! You may even want to ditch that storm. I ditched mine, and haven't even thought about looking back
    Lol, the thing is I'm comparing it with gtalk for blackberry, not bbm. As good as bbm is, if you don't have who to use it with it's not really useful. I am lucky and i do. Bbm doesn't host photos, you send them in a chat context, in a spontaneous way, and gtalk for blackberry can do the same.

The bbm tho is very efficient, with a blackberry data plan in romania you only get 5mb, if i send my friend a photo bbm re size it to only 45kb or so and sends it away, my friend gets it very small but still able to see it. when he gets home on wifi he can request a higher quality version of it using the menu in bbm. So i can snap and send, have a laugh etc without worrying.

And i did ditched teh Storm2 , touchscreen is not for me, using a 9700 now.
    08-18-10 05:24 PM
    Lol, the thing is I'm comparing it with gtalk for blackberry, not bbm. As good as bbm is, if you don't have who to use it with it's not really useful. I am lucky and i do. Bbm doesn't host photos, you send them in a chat context, in a spontaneous way, and gtalk for blackberry can do the same.

The bbm tho is very efficient, with a blackberry data plan in romania you only get 5mb, if i send my friend a photo bbm re size it to only 45kb or so and sends it away, my friend gets it very small but still able to see it. when he gets home on wifi he can request a higher quality version of it using the menu in bbm. So i can snap and send, have a laugh etc without worrying.

And i did ditched teh Storm2 , touchscreen is not for me, using a 9700 now.
    Yeah, Google rocks, and is all up in that BB, ha ha.

We have several solutions laid out in English for you. What else do you need help with?

We all can send, laugh, without worrying too. As avt stated, it comes down to what proprietary software you choose. If you want to be able to send pics in IM, and want your android friends to see them too, just share your picasa links. Gtalk will recognise that URL and show the photo in IM. You have to use Google's Image host for that to work in Gtalk. "Proprietary" is the word of the day, and Google cares not about Blackberry making it work on their end, unless Blackberry will use Google's servers for that In essence, Gtalk is crippled on a BB, as proven in your OP by the BB version "not working" with Google's version.

If your friends need to count data, then they should get google voice, and use that to send SMS for free! In fact, many google services do not require a data plan.

It just comes down to what works best for you If you think we can't do what BBM can do, or that we are missing out in one way, you are drinking too much BB Koo laid.

Android is a far superior platform, and half of the people that use it don't even know how powerful it really can be for them.

We can it snap and share, worry free of course, ha ha ha.

PS: The reason your Gtalk shares photos like that is a BB thing. Remember, it isn't Gtalk that you have, it is Gtalk for "blackberry" as stated on Blackberry's web site.

You now can share photos on the fly with everyone! Aren't you happy?
    08-18-10 11:20 PM
    Yeah, Google rocks, and is all up in that BB, ha ha.

We have several solutions laid out in English for you. What else do you need help with?

We all can send, laugh, without worrying too. As avt stated, it comes down to what proprietary software you choose. If you want to be able to send pics in IM, and want your android friends to see them too, just share your picasa links. Gtalk will recognise that URL and show the photo in IM. You have to use Google's Image host for that to work in Gtalk. "Proprietary" is the word of the day, and Google cares not about Blackberry making it work on their end, unless Blackberry will use Google's servers for that In essence, Gtalk is crippled on a BB, as proven in your OP by the BB version "not working" with Google's version.

If your friends need to count data, then they should get google voice, and use that to send SMS for free! In fact, many google services do not require a data plan.

It just comes down to what works best for you If you think we can't do what BBM can do, or that we are missing out in one way, you are drinking too much BB Koo laid.

Android is a far superior platform, and half of the people that use it don't even know how powerful it really can be for them.

We can it snap and share, worry free of course, ha ha ha.

PS: The reason your Gtalk shares photos like that is a BB thing. Remember, it isn't Gtalk that you have, it is Gtalk for "blackberry" as stated on Blackberry's web site.

You now can share photos on the fly with everyone! Aren't you happy?
    Lol, somebody is taking it a bit personal
    I was really asking if there's a way to make gtalk work better on android, I don't want yet another app.

Unfortunately google voice is not available in europe or I would use it.

08-19-10 12:29 AM
    I don't get you at all. One minute it's Gtalk on BB's you are worried about, and the next it is Gtalk on android that worries you? Bottom line, you want to file share with your android buds right? But you don't want to make any customizations to your BB right? Just have your android friends download this chat app. They will be able to photo/file/video share and chat with everyone across borders.

Yet another solution for ya

I understand wanting to keep that BB free of as many apps as possible, but your android friends won't worry about app quantity, and hopefully you will be in good shape

Those dang incompatible BB's ha ha.

More can be done on Android, and judging by your large number of post and by how much time you spend here, I think you are interested jumping ship? It doesn't feel good finding out how dated BB's are, and how Android rivals BBM and OS6 on so many levels does it?

With the link at the bottom (for your androiders) you don't have to touch your BB and Gtalk is on steroids on your friend's androids.

You happy yet buddy? I don't mind taking a few minutes to "help" you....anything else you need?

We will welcome you with open arms with you new android device I hope your stay here has enlightened you

Link: Nimbuzz - Download: Mobile PC
    08-19-10 01:23 PM
    I have two friends with Android phones now, one has the htc tattoo and the other htc wildfire that he just bought a few days ago. We've set up google talk so we don't sms anymore but none of them seem to be able to send and receive photos or any other files.
    I thought this was supposed to rival bbm, and how come my blackberry can send and receive photos trough the gmail app and a new google android cant?
    Anyway, is there a solution for them, a download or something?

Thanks

You can thank all of us!
    08-19-10 01:26 PM
    Ok, what I was really asking was if anybody does an app for android to make better use of the gtalk on android. Gtalk for blackberry is good enough. I'll tell them about nimbuzz.

No need to get nasty, gtalk for android sucks, it's not my fault.

Oh, and Google Voice would be nice but it's not available in Europe yet.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 08-19-10 at 04:00 PM.
    08-19-10 03:58 PM
    Gtalk on Android is a supplement to the computer based video/chat/VOIP on my computer. With Gtalk, it doesn't matter what OS, mobile, or computer I am on. It keeps me connected anywhere.

BBM is a Blackberry thing, only. I can't use it anywhere else, or with anyone who doesn't have a BB. That is far from superior, and far from useful in a world migrating towards devices that integrate well with other devices. It just isn't practical for me. That is why I think BBM sucks so much. I don't buy into the fact that because it can send a photo, it is a superior IM. I have been here to long for that, and when I find convenience, and worry free, I go that route. Hail Android!
    08-19-10 05:39 PM
    Gtalk on Android is a supplement to the computer based video/chat/VOIP on my computer. With Gtalk, it doesn't matter what OS, mobile, or computer I am on. It keeps me connected anywhere.

BBM is a Blackberry thing, only. I can't use it anywhere else, or with anyone who doesn't have a BB. That is far from superior, and far from useful in a world migrating towards devices that integrate well with other devices. It just isn't practical for me. That is why I think BBM sucks so much. I don't buy into the fact that because it can send a photo, it is a superior IM. I have been here to long for that, and when I find convenience, and worry free, I go that route. Hail Android!
    Dude, you don't get it, with gtalk app on any blackberry you can send photos, with gtalk app for any android you can't even though it's google's own OS. Never mind bbm.

08-19-10 05:55 PM
    Dude, you don't get it, with gtalk app on any blackberry you can send photos, with gtalk app for any android you can't even though it's google's own OS. Never mind bbm.

rofl, chap You are repeating yourself again
    08-19-10 06:04 PM
    I am convinced you aren't here asking questions now. We have all helped you, answered your questions, but you want to try and convince us of what? Do you just like to banter? What else do you want help with? We love to help here.

To me, it sounds like you are trying to justify your BB. Just get an Android phone and be happy chap!

I am off to a party, but feel free to banter...the long leather couch is in the corner.
    08-19-10 06:17 PM

Alright!

First off, this really shouldn't be an android vs. BB debate. The fact is, Google created a really nice chat client for BlackBerry in Google Talk. Just as Johnly mentioned, it's a great extension of their online service, also complete connectivity to Google services regardless of whether you're behind a computer or using your mobile device, it works great on both Android AND BlackBerry (and I find it amusing that iPhone owners are left in the dark here...for once). The only real point was that it is surprising that the app has a bit more functionality on BB than it does on it's own native devices. That's it...it's surprising. It's not an argument about what's better, at least it didn't seem to start that way.

BlackBerry and Android devices are both email and MMS enabled, so obviously there are more than enough alternatives to sharing photos and other media. I own a BB, but most of my friends I socialize with have Android phones, so I use G Talk a lot...but if I have to send a pic, I just send them an email or MMS message. BBM, as nice as it is, it pretty much worthless to me, because outside of work, I know exactly 2 people with BlackBerry devices. It would be really nice if G Talk on Android supported this feature, but to be honest I was also a little shocked to just to learn that it didn't.

EDIT: The second part of this is that while Google obviously provides a very functional API, it is RIM's signature on the Google Talk App used on Blackberry, so it would seem that BlackBerry is able to use their own platform for media sharing...which explains why it is available, but only to other people using it on BlackBerry. In other words, it's not necessarily the case that Google added that functionality for BB and/or denied it on their own...and when you realize that, it almost make the whole argument moot.
    Last edited by PaintDrinkingPete; 08-19-10 at 09:03 PM.
    08-19-10 08:47 PM
    Alright!

First off, this really shouldn't be an android vs. BB debate. The fact is, Google created a really nice chat client for BlackBerry in Google Talk. Just as Johnly mentioned, it's a great extension of their online service, also complete connectivity to Google services regardless of whether you're behind a computer or using your mobile device, it works great on both Android AND BlackBerry (and I find it amusing that iPhone owners are left in the dark here...for once). The only real point was that it is surprising that the app has a bit more functionality on BB than it does on it's own native devices. That's it...it's surprising. It's not an argument about what's better, at least it didn't seem to start that way.

BlackBerry and Android devices are both email and MMS enabled, so obviously there are more than enough alternatives to sharing photos and other media. I own a BB, but most of my friends I socialize with have Android phones, so I use G Talk a lot...but if I have to send a pic, I just send them an email or MMS message. BBM, as nice as it is, it pretty much worthless to me, because outside of work, I know exactly 2 people with BlackBerry devices. It would be really nice if G Talk on Android supported this feature, but to be honest I was also a little shocked to just to learn that it didn't.

EDIT: The second part of this is that while Google obviously provides a very functional API, it is RIM's signature on the Google Talk App used on Blackberry, so it would seem that BlackBerry is able to use their own platform for media sharing...which explains why it is available, but only to other people using it on BlackBerry. In other words, it's not necessarily the case that Google added that functionality for BB and/or denied it on their own...and when you realize that, it almost make the whole argument moot.
    Lol, at last somebody gets it
    One small correction tho, gtalk on blackberry can share photos with gtalk on PC.
    It was surprising to leat about it, that's all, and you must admit it is.

I also use yahoo messenger beside gtalk and bbm.

08-20-10 12:09 AM
    Ah never mind, this was a complete waste of our time. Turns out one keeps his computer at home logged on to gtalk and the other doesn't like it and wants to go back to texting.

Thanks anyway.

08-20-10 02:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD