So far I've liked my 8330 but would like a larger screen and better use of the web. Use email a lot, calendar a lot and want to be able to view my work computer from my phone. I can do it with my 8330 but it's slow and cumbersome to zoom to be able to see the screen. My buddies iPhone rocks with this app for his wk screen but I don't want the iPhone.
    What other items would I be missing by going to the Droid? What might I gain?
    11-12-09 11:22 AM
    I got a chance to see a new Eris and play with it a little. Sure like the track ball feature and the typing is something I could learn fairly fast. Fonts and pics aren't a big deal to me so that's not a deal breaker.
    I've heard conflicting reports on email, which is something I receive a lot of.
    11-12-09 12:58 PM
    trust me you dont want a storm 2 lol. its totally not as responsive. You will be have with the droid. i have the curve and the web was terrible. Also look at the videos of the storm 2 and droid comparison on the web. Droid was finished and the storm 2 wasnt even halfway. the email is almost instant if you have gmail. I am very happy. This comes from someone that had a blackberry for many years.
    11-12-09 01:08 PM
    We have a company run server for our email so don't know if that's good or bad for the Eris but I also have GMAIL but we get hundreds of emails a week. We use Outlook so don't know if that matters either??
    11-12-09 02:14 PM
    I've had the Curve missed when i went storm 1 picked up the droid and loving it so far.
    11-12-09 02:24 PM
    I went from the 8330 curve to the droid. You won't miss daily reboots, truncated emails, memory leaks, etc. The droid is a beast!
    11-12-09 03:44 PM
    I went from the 8330 curve to the droid. You won't miss daily reboots, truncated emails, memory leaks, etc. The droid is a beast!
    I have had my curve for 1 1/2 years and had to reboot it about 5 times. Emails get truncated when too long, and this is most likely due to forwards. What they h ell do you people do to your phones to complain and claim to have all these issues? Sorry. Ranting because all I read is complaint after complaint.
    11-12-09 06:57 PM
    When you receive a picture message the androids won't let you save the picture to your phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Android phones do let you save a picture from an picture message to your phone. You just have to hold down on the message or picture until a menu pops up. In that menu there is an option to save picture/image/video
    11-12-09 07:14 PM
    I have had my curve for 1 1/2 years and had to reboot it about 5 times. Emails get truncated when too long, and this is most likely due to forwards. What they h ell do you people do to your phones to complain and claim to have all these issues? Sorry. Ranting because all I read is complaint after complaint.
    Most business and company emails get truncated. 8 out of every 10 emails I receive on my blackberry are truncated. And I am not a blackberry hater or droid fanboy either. I just happen to have and use a bunch of different phones.

I also find it very hard to believe that you only had 5 reboots in a year and a half. I'm not saying you are a liar, I'm just saying that I have been a blackberry user for many many years and reboots were a constant thing. Even if it is just with installing a new app.
    11-12-09 07:15 PM
    Even if it is just with installing a new app.
    Installing a new app does lead to reboots, you are correct. I don't technically count those, but I guess it is a product of knowing what to expect.
    11-12-09 07:26 PM
    Have you tried the storm2? I thought about going to the droid Eris but a few details stopped me. You can't enlarge the fonts like on a blackberry or any other phone for that matter. When you receive a picture message the androids won't let you save the picture to your phone. I do like the Eris but until I see some of these issues fixed I will stay withy storm. Also with the announcement of the new features coming to blackberrys is making me think twice.

Ok you keep posting about this font thing and I believe its been explained many times but now you're saying Android phones can't save pics? Please either go get one and learn about all of these things or research them before you start putting these things out there as fact. I'm sorry but you are doing this in all of your posts on the Android forum and your information is just not accurate. Many people are looking to these forums to get information to help them make decisions about which phones suit them best and providing inaccurate information hinders this as well as makes people lose confidence in the information available here. Sorry and thank you.

11-12-09 07:39 PM
    Have you tried the storm2? I thought about going to the droid Eris but a few details stopped me. You can't enlarge the fonts like on a blackberry or any other phone for that matter. When you receive a picture message the androids won't let you save the picture to your phone. I do like the Eris but until I see some of these issues fixed I will stay withy storm. Also with the announcement of the new features coming to blackberrys is making me think twice.

Panda Home is a theme management application on Android platform, With it,you can customize the display name ,font size and color of apps and modify app icons freely as well as switch themes on your Android phone..
    Free! - Panda Home is totally free to use. Additionally, it offers free technical support, free resources downloading and installation.

Don't know about yours but my BB can't do that.
    11-12-09 08:52 PM
    ...I'm just saying that I have been a blackberry user for many many years and reboots were a constant thing. Even if it is just with installing a new app.
    Reboots have not been a constant thing for me... and I've been using RIM products since the RIM 900 Inter@ctive Pager back in '96 or '97. Nor have memory leaks. (yes, I know memory leaks can/do happen, as my GF has a problem with her Pearl/8130. I've been fortunate and have not had memory leaks on my berries)

If you count reboots due to apps, you might as well also count reboots for accessing the MicroSD card in the Droid.

To take the card out, you have to pull the battery. So reboot.

If you want to Mount the MicroSD for access by your PC via USB cable, when you're done, you have to reboot to see some of the new content (at least that has been my experience as I add MP3's, videos, and ring tones to my Droid.)
    11-12-09 11:50 PM
    ...What other items would I be missing by going to the Droid? What might I gain?
    What you'll miss...

Not being able to press the menu button and select anything you want to do. Example.. in message/email list, you can't highlight a message and reply or forward via pop-up menu. You can slide out the qwerty keyboard and use short cuts.. IF you remember them.

You can't "delete prior" or "mark prior opened" or such.

You can't select multiple emails to delete them at one time.

You'll likely miss the ability to voice dial via bluetooth.... i.e. can't press button on BT headset and say "call john smith mobile" and have the Droid make the call. You have to pick it up and use the voice dial icon on the phone's home screen along with the MIC built into the Droid, even then there is no voice feed back to ask if it heard you correctly.

You'll miss being able to edit all your ring tones, alerts, notification settings in one place... "profiles." Sure there is a free app called Quick Profiles for the Droid, and while it allows you to setup profiles which you can assign a ring tone for calls, and set the volume for notifications and alarms, it doesn't allow you to set the ring tone for incoming SMS messages, alarms, emails, notifications... For each of those, you have go into the certain application and change its settings.

You'll miss how easy, and consistent copy/paste is on the BB. The Droid has some places where all you can do is "copy all", and some places you can't paste.

Just like RIM's HH OS v5 on the Storm and Storm 2, Android 2.0 is new, and there are many apps in the Market Place which don't work, or are buggy with Android 2.0 as they were meant for older Android OS versions.

That being said, the droid has the potential to be a "powerful" and very customizable smart phone. But with that comes it being a more complex device to use.
    11-13-09 12:05 AM
    Only thing you will miss is all the time you waisted not having this phone yet......
    11-13-09 02:10 AM
    Only thing you will miss is all the time you waisted not having this phone yet......
    And spell check apparently?

11-13-09 11:30 AM
    Not being able to press the menu button and select anything you want to do. Example.. in message/email list, you can't highlight a message and reply or forward via pop-up menu. You can slide out the qwerty keyboard and use short cuts.. IF you remember them.

You can't "delete prior" or "mark prior opened" or such.
    I think you have no idea how to use the phone if you had problems with things like clearing all the notifications or accessing the menu via a menu button.
    11-13-09 12:42 PM
    I had an 8330.

Trust me, you will miss absolutely nothing.
    11-13-09 12:59 PM
    I had an 8330.

Trust me, you will miss absolutely nothing.
    lol, I agree, i came from a 8330 as well, if I went back it would be like going back to a dumbphone.
    11-13-09 02:00 PM
    here's one thing i do miss...and i came from a blackberry (unless i just don't know of the app to do so) i can't backup the phone on my computer so that i can easily transfer emails/sms or custom settings if i have to exchange my phone. YES, apps and gmail will transfer since it's linked to your gmail acct, but my email & sms doesn't, which is a teeny bummer, yes, i have sms backup on my phone so all my sms's are backed up, but i'd have liked them on my phone too if i need to exchange (which i do)

also, i miss not being able to erase emails like i can on my bb, with the 3 options to erase. either you erase only on phone (keep on server) or you erase from both, there's no way to choose for different emails. for example, i get tons of junk mail, i can choose to erase on both phone & server on my bb or just erase from my phone, on the droid it's a setting not an individual email option.
    11-13-09 02:14 PM
    here's one thing i do miss...and i came from a blackberry (unless i just don't know of the app to do so) i can't backup the phone on my computer so that i can easily transfer emails/sms or custom settings if i have to exchange my phone. YES, apps and gmail will transfer since it's linked to your gmail acct, but my email & sms doesn't, which is a teeny bummer, yes, i have sms backup on my phone so all my sms's are backed up, but i'd have liked them on my phone too if i need to exchange (which i do)

also, i miss not being able to erase emails like i can on my bb, with the 3 options to erase. either you erase only on phone (keep on server) or you erase from both, there's no way to choose for different emails. for example, i get tons of junk mail, i can choose to erase on both phone & server on my bb or just erase from my phone, on the droid it's a setting not an individual email option.
    Using a gmail account is 10 times better on Android however, it lets you archive right through the main interface.
    11-13-09 06:34 PM
    Since I get hundreds of emails, being able to delete a long list of them is important to me. I can't imagine having to delete each one, one by one. If that's the case then this may not be the phone for me.
    11-13-09 10:01 PM
    I am thinking of dumping my 8330 for the Droid. Email is my only concern.

11-14-09 03:26 PM
    The only thing I miss from my 8330 is the case/holster setup. Haven't been able to find a good setup to easily access my phone while carrying it.
    11-14-09 07:51 PM
    I think you have no idea how to use the phone if you had problems with things like clearing all the notifications or accessing the menu via a menu button.
    Um, I think you have no idea what I typed, and you quoted.

I'm not talking about clearing notifications... I'm talking about actually highlighting a message and using the menu to forward or reply to it. Or deleting all email, or marking all read.

On the Droid, you can't do that. There is no option on the pop-up menu.

To forward, you have to open the email, and scroll to the bottom of it. Then you'll see reply/forward. You wont see it on the menu.

IF you know the keybd short cuts, you can slide out the qwerty keyboard and use them instead of having to scroll all the way down. BUT you wont find that info in the docs or cards/info that came with the driod.

EDIT: let me clarify this by saying, this is true when using Gmail, I haven't tried any non-gmail accounts, but with this being a "google experience" android phone... non-gmail might not be as important.
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 11-15-09 at 07:59 AM.
    11-14-09 09:00 PM
76 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD