Messed with it at VZW for a little while. The "home" screen(s) don't switch when you hold it in landscape(sideways). Kind of a pain to pick what you want and turn it sideways and back and forth.
    That is one good thing about the Storm. You can hold it anyway you wish and the screen switches(except for the phone screen and that's fine because that is the way you are gonna hold it when you talk.)
    Can you force the X to do this? This really bugs me, being used to the Storm.

Any Droids do this?
    07-15-10 08:28 PM
    Messed with it at VZW for a little while. The "home" screen(s) don't switch when you hold it in landscape(sideways). Kind of a pain to pick what you want and turn it sideways and back and forth.
    That is one good thing about the Storm. You can hold it anyway you wish and the screen switches(except for the phone screen and that's fine because that is the way you are gonna hold it when you talk.)
    Can you force the X to do this? This really bugs me, being used to the Storm.

Any Droids do this?
    At stock level, no android phone will switch to landscape mode on the home screen.

I recommend downloading ADW Launcher and reading the FAQ about it. Its a home screen replacement that lets you customize just about every single feature in it!

Infact last nights update to ADW allows you to skin the launcher as well! w00t!

There is an alternative to ADW Launcher as well called Launcher Pro. Both are great. I personally like ADW
    07-15-10 08:32 PM
    Cool. Thanks.
    07-15-10 08:41 PM
    I like Launcher Pro because it allows 15 scrollable shortcut icons at the bottom of the screen. These shortcuts can be apps, folders, and even direct dial shortcuts.

And yes, it does rotate on the home screen.
    07-15-10 08:49 PM
    Thank you so much for that info. I was considering a new Storm2because of this, since I broke my current Storm and using an old POS phone.
    07-15-10 08:53 PM
    I like Launcher Pro because it allows 15 scrollable shortcut icons at the bottom of the screen. These shortcuts can be apps, folders, and even direct dial shortcuts.

And yes, it does rotate on the home screen.
    i never liked that scrollable dock.

it was first scene in GDE. At first i liked it but then it was just inconvient. the flip dock is cool on the bottom of ADW but i don't really use that either. sheesh i have 7 screens for apps/shortcuts lol
    07-15-10 08:53 PM
    To each his own lol. I find 3 screens is plenty with the scrollable dock on Launcher Pro.
    07-15-10 08:59 PM
    At stock level, no android phone will switch to landscape mode on the home screen.

I recommend downloading ADW Launcher and reading the FAQ about it. Its a home screen replacement that lets you customize just about every single feature in it!

Infact last nights update to ADW allows you to skin the launcher as well! w00t!

There is an alternative to ADW Launcher as well called Launcher Pro. Both are great. I personally like ADW
    Actually ADW will allow you to rotate the home screen.

Under options, go to system preferences, Check the box that says Orientation Sensor.

Thats it. Your home screen rotates.
    07-16-10 02:22 PM
    To each his own lol. I find 3 screens is plenty with the scrollable dock on Launcher Pro.
    I typically use 3 screens. one for quick stuff, one for widgets (power bar, google search, calendar,) and one for system tools, Barnacle, Data counter, ART.

and with the Almost Nexus hidden bar and 2x2 at the bottom i can have up to 8 icons on every screen..... aside from the one placed there.
    07-16-10 02:48 PM
    When I had the Storm I actually hated the fact that it did that. Constantly switching back and forth when I'm just holding it...it gets annoying. The iPhone doesn't do it either.

But, like the others said, you can download ADW or LauncherPro which are much better than the stock launcher anyway.
    07-16-10 03:01 PM
    I typically use 3 screens. one for quick stuff, one for widgets (power bar, google search, calendar,) and one for system tools, Barnacle, Data counter, ART.

and with the Almost Nexus hidden bar and 2x2 at the bottom i can have up to 8 icons on every screen..... aside from the one placed there.
    You are genius! thank for tips & advice..
    07-16-10 06:12 PM

Why do you need the Google Search widget taking up screen space ?

There is the soft key at the bottom of the device that a press brings up search, or a long press brings up voice search.
    07-16-10 06:22 PM
    When I had the Storm I actually hated the fact that it did that.
    Agreed. It was like "Oh let me hold my phone in portrait. Oh wait did it just switch to landscape by the smallest move of my wrist."
    07-16-10 06:41 PM
    Never had a problem with that. Must be trying to use it upright.............and uptight
    07-16-10 07:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD