I've been reading rumors about the device being a phone that will be built entirely by google hard/soft ware... They will push hansets through a major manufacture and it will be the thinnest phone ever made. I kept thinking how jacked up that would be b/c all these companies hooked up with them just to be sold out in the end. But hey its just business I guess. Either way I know I'd buy that dam phone so fast... Especially if it went to big red. The two are already in bed together and it would make perfect sense. And yes any gsm phone can be a cdma.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-09 08:41 PM
    Can you explain that last line, "every GSM phone can be a cdma"?
    What?

11-22-09 08:52 PM
    I'm not sure about the rumor that the Google phone will be purely a VOIP phone that has no voiceplan either. I'm sure Verizon, or any carrier wouldn't be too thrilled about that either.

11-22-09 08:57 PM
    I mean rumors are that it will be a gsm but I know verizon would jump all over that phone and wouldn't make the mistake they made with the !phone.

11-22-09 09:01 PM
    Verizon would be the last carrier interested in this. If the rumors hold true, it will be a quad band GSM, WCDMA, and CDMA data only device, using VoIP for voice service. It would kill their network, and lose them millions. Look for Google to buy a carrier outright if this comes to fruition. Cheap data to the masses = millions in ad revenue for Google, which is their current business model.

Honest opinion? Bye-bye Sprint and T-Mo...Google now owns you and with Comcasts and Intels help, and Sprint's current 4g (cough cough) tech, they will be poised to grab the US market. At that point all AT$T and VZW can hope for are anti-trust laws to help them out.

Before you scoff, try a netbook with an aircard and a BT headset. Then imagine the BT headset has better and more reliable control and the netbook can be safely stowed in a briefcase. And imagine Goog/Sprint/Intel Co. keeping track of every call you make. You and I may not like that, but Joe Suit will see the convience and jump at the chance for true world capabilities and low cost.

I like Google's push towards future-tech, but overall they are evil. Microsoft style evil. Maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully I'm wrong. but just in case....get your tin foil ready
    11-22-09 09:14 PM
    Google isn't making a Google Phone. They've said several times, as recently as october, that they aren't. Even Google's VP of Engineering says so, and usually they don't make such definitive statements about stuff.
    11-22-09 09:21 PM
    Correct. They aren't making a phone
    The Google Phone May Be Data Only, VoIP Driven Device

And didn't we hear for years another company said they would not compete with their partners by making a hardware device? That apple sure fell of the tree when the potential for profit was realized.

Of course...it's all a rumor until we're branded with the number of the googobeast.
    11-22-09 09:29 PM
    Actually vzw out bid google for the lte network by billions... And they are owned by the second largest mobile company in the world (only behind china mobile commies) google is not as rich as you think... Wiki how much revenue they made last year and you'll see vzw made more not even counting Vodafone.

11-22-09 10:27 PM
    Also, if they did decide to make a phone, I wouldn't even expect it for another year or two. Remember how long it takes for phones to come out after the rumor mill gets turning. This one doesn't even have a carrier yet.
    11-22-09 11:02 PM
    Right. That's why they would go after Sprint's tech to try to outhustle LTE. Remember...Google IS evil. They are not shy about it and don't try to hide it.

This is my conspiracy theory, and I'm allowed to like it even though it's flawed as **** lol.
    11-22-09 11:02 PM
    I'm not sure about the rumor that the Google phone will be purely a VOIP phone that has no voiceplan either. I'm sure Verizon, or any carrier wouldn't be too thrilled about that either.

Tell that to Garmin...and all the other gps companies
    11-23-09 12:08 AM
    Also, if they did decide to make a phone, I wouldn't even expect it for another year or two. Remember how long it takes for phones to come out after the rumor mill gets turning. This one doesn't even have a carrier yet.
    Well the rumor mill states they are working on it right now, and that it was supposed to be out by dec but not sold by a carrier. You would buy it at say best buy then call Verizon to activate data only. But now most people are saying it should be out by 1st qtr 2010. the VOIP thing makes perfect sense with the acquisition of GIZMO5 VOIP service. Mix that with google voice and you have a dangerous player in the game.

The Google Phone Is Very Real. And It’s Coming Soon
    The Google Phone May Be Data Only, VoIP Driven Device
    11-23-09 12:21 AM
    Depending on the availability and cost of data only plans this could be simply awesome.
    11-23-09 01:41 AM
    If any of this is true about data only I'm sure all of the companies will come up with higher data plans for these devices.
    11-23-09 11:50 AM
    None of it's true and I can't believe anyone can believe it after they keep saying they're not making one.
    11-23-09 11:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD