Alright folks, I did this the last time when they release the Nexus 5, but what are your guys thoughts on the S5?!

Samsung Galaxy S5 preview

Personally, I think the Galaxy line has reached the point of incremental upgrades, as what they've done here could mostly have been expected by all those previous s4 owners and tech followers. But then again, coming up with anything 'revolutionary' is usually met with confusion or extreme disdain at first, so manufacturers don't wanna take too crazy a risk.

Anywho, lemme here what you have to say, and what you think BlackBerry response should be to all his mounting spec saturation?!

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 04:47 PM
    I think that from the point of view of a S4 owner the phone is a totally waste of money, and i think that samsung is on the comfort zone were blackberry fall started.

Same factory form as the S4 and they even recicled the chipset so, does a heart rate monitor, a fingerprint scanner and a 16MP camera worth the money? For me is a huge no.

Blackberry should make the octa-64bits handset a reality and show to the world all the mobile computing power that BB10 have to offer.
    02-24-14 04:59 PM
    I'm with you OP, very incremental upgrade from the S4. Other than the camera boost, the phone got bigger and dont see a reason for an S4 owner to upgrade.
    02-24-14 05:11 PM
    The future of the smartphone is a commodity device just like PCs. Iphone 6 will just be an iteration of Iphone 5. There just aren't going to be leaps forward on the hardware side. Its eco-system, eco-system.
    02-24-14 05:17 PM
    I had a galaxy S3 for a bit. I liked it. Only problem was the finish on the battery door was slicker than sh1t. Sitting there holding the thing and it would just about fall out of your hand.

S5 looks nice.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 05:24 PM
    Very incremental upgrade. My s4 sits on the shelf as it is. Touchwiz is just so jarring. CM at least makes the phones semi usable.

BlackBerry with good hardware and bb10 can easily surpass these phones!

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 05:26 PM
    The future of the smartphone is a commodity device just like PCs. Iphone 6 will just be an iteration of Iphone 5. There just aren't going to be leaps forward on the hardware side. Its eco-system, eco-system.
    My wife is somewhat stoked about the iphone 6 if it ends up as some of the rumors indicate - wider screen. That to me is a huge departure from the whole Apple philosophy where they make it and tell you you are going to like it.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 05:28 PM
    My wife is somewhat stoked about the iphone 6 if it ends up as some of the rumors indicate - wider screen. That to me is a huge departure from the whole Apple philosophy where they make it and tell you you are going to like it.

Posted via CB10
    I think that started with the ipad mini, being their first "me too" device
    02-24-14 05:33 PM
    If the Z30 STA100-1 model is not released then I will be purchasing a Galaxy S5. I love BlackBerry but if I can't purchase the phone that I want then it's time to move on to another platform.

Posted Via AT&T BlackBerry Z10
    02-24-14 05:36 PM
    It's hard to say when it's predicted release is still so far away, but I'm guessing the iPhone 6 will me more of an update than what we've seen in the S5. I mean, the 5S (Gosh, this gets kinda confusing) brought 64-bit to the mobile space as well as a fingerprint scanner in an S update that is traditionally a small one.

It's hard for me to imagine new things on the hardware side too, but Apple knows what it's doing.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 05:51 PM
    I don't think about the Samsung Galaxy S5.

I do know that it doesn't interest me and I won't be buying one.
    02-24-14 05:56 PM
    I wish Samsung would have waited for Snapdragon 805. Snapdragon 800 leaves a bad taste in my mouth. A few Galaxy S4's were already Snapdragon 800.

Also, 16 MP camera is not impressive. Sony and Nokia are both on 20 MP standard.

Blackberry should make the octa-64bits handset a reality and show to the world all the mobile computing power that BB10 have to offer.
    Blackberry uses the same Snapdragon chips as everyone else. It'll never be ahead that way. Even Samsung can't mass produce it's own chip. The only smartphone OEM capable of quality chip design appears to be Apple, atm.
    02-24-14 05:57 PM
    In short it sucks. The s4 was nice, this isn't. They increased screen real estate by 0.1 but the phone looks much bigger. The design is boring and provides nothing new, the back looks stupid imo as well.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 06:00 PM
    I hear ya. BlackBerry more or less needs to avoid this trap as they go along, and I think they just might be able to do so. With John Chen promising to turn BlackBerry into a "mobile solution company", they could further destroy the barrier between mobile and PC. The Z30's USB host mode, which allows it to connect to multiple peripherals + Miracast + further QNX integration into affordable cars + 'BlackBerry Blend', which bring sms/mms/bbm/email etc directly onto a person's computer etc...

These are some of the way BlackBerry could truly separate themselves from the competition, and enter a new age of mobile solutions. Apple is keen is to keep its current user base happy with pretty but straightforward designs, while Android is much too fragmented to be able to offer such things through their varied phone manufacturer. Meanwhile, Blackberry still makes its own hardware and software, and as such stands best to try and implement this it

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 06:02 PM
    It's hard to say when it's predicted release is still so far away, but I'm guessing the iPhone 6 will me more of an update than what we've seen in the S5. I mean, the 5S (Gosh, this gets kinda confusing) brought 64-bit to the mobile space as well as a fingerprint scanner in an S update that is traditionally a small one.

It's hard for me to imagine new things on the hardware side too, but Apple knows what it's doing.

Posted via CB10
    Supposed updates:
    Larger size. Big for Iphone but the marketplace has larger phones for a few generations now.
    Health tracking app and sensors. Niche app just like Samsungs version.
    Faster cpu/gpu. Thats a given but end user benefit is minimal as current gen is fast enough.
    Better Siri features/accuracy. Again just an evolution of an existing product.
    UI no great changes as most of them were done from IOS 6 to 7.
    02-24-14 06:03 PM
    I'm with you OP, very incremental upgrade from the S4. Other than the camera boost, the phone got bigger and dont see a reason for an S4 owner to upgrade.
    Except the goal isn't to get S4 owners to upgrade. . .it's to get the people that didn't buy the S4 to upgrade or buy in for the first time. If S4 owners upgrade, that's merely icing on the cake for Samsung. Samsung, like Apple, seems to sell more of each generation than the previous one, so it should be clear that they're casting a far wider net than S4 users.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    02-24-14 06:08 PM
    From what I've seen and read, this is not even close to what was expected. They should've called it the Samsung Galaxy S4s since it's barely better than its predecessor.

What stood out for me is they reduced their feature spam. LOL I'm sure it will still sell boatloads but won't convert die-hard BlackBerry users like myself.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 06:22 PM
    Phone release that is meant to lure in original Note users, users from other platforms and S2 and under owners to upgrade to. They aren't after the S4 owners it seems.

Loving the dust and water resistance, private mode and advanced power saving. BlackBerry should implement stuff like this. The rest doesn't really interest me too much to bother. HR monitor looks very interesting, but still a little meh. Not that I'd get it for those features either.

The Gear line up looks interesting and can really become something from here forward. The built in capabilities are looking to be very good and it's a great company to the Galaxy lineup. But, like the S5, not something that I'd shell out money for.

Posted via CB10
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    02-24-14 06:30 PM
    i see very little in the way of changes and at this point any major changes have all been done. There just isnt anything that is going to set the world on fire to buy this device. Finger print or even face recognition its all been done. hand gestures or any one of the other small features. advanced camera apps they are all available on other handsets. having the phone work well with the software and better ease of use and integration maybe makes more sense but are people willing to pay up to upgrade for that kind of improvement. my guess is no they arent. The big changes are in the bottom end and midrange handsets. What you get for your money is a way better value in the lower end compared tothe high end. I still think there is a place for blackberry sure it might not be in the popularity with all the teenagers or the gadget folks but as a pure business/prosumer device it makes sense. Something that replaces a small laptop might be the fit. The Z30 to me is a terrific piece of hardware. Long battery life, great features, larger screeen and of course al lthe features of blackberry. now working out the kinks of the OS si the main thing. The rest of the stuff is pure flash and not much substance. I think Samsung has hit the wall on innovation. Now its someone elses turn to take the lead. It happens to everyone just look at apple they hit the wall a few iphones ago.
    02-24-14 07:52 PM
    For me I really like the waterproofing. Loved the idea on the sony and now on this. I would really love a waterproof and more durable Blackberry. Not every blackberry sits on mahogany desks all day, sometimes they might get a little dirty.
    02-24-14 07:57 PM
    7B9E0CFA

Sent from my TECNO M7 using CB Forums mobile app
    02-24-14 08:04 PM
    I'm not that into Sammy hardware, but this one isn't bad. If there were a Googlefied option, I might even consider it, which, for me, is saying a lot.

Obviously, I like the reduced bloatware. I'm hearing that the stock ROM is huge, so that 128 GB expansion might come in handy. I can afford to wait to see what the other OEMs are bringing; I've been sitting on an upgrade for quite some time; being rooted helps with patience with regards to using Android.

LOL at the "oh no, this won't hook S4 owners" comments. As noted by a few posters, i don't think that's the ultimate goal.
    02-24-14 08:23 PM
    Most of you folks are a big misguided… there is no way you can down play the awesome technology included in this device… a camera that allows you to change the focus AFTER the picture is taken?? A camera that allows you to take HDR pictures in real time??? A heart rate scanner??? Not to mention the other solid features from the s4, it is now waterproof!!!! this phone is full of gimmicks, but gimmicks are what people want.. personally I'm rocking an s4 now and i find the buddy share feature and the voice activated call answering and other features is awesome and definitely puts this phone well over the top of the iPhone franchise… Blackberry needs to get into the gimmicks game if it wants to stand a chance at regaining marketshare… bottom line
    02-24-14 08:28 PM
    Most of you folks are a big misguided� there is no way you can down play the awesome technology included in this device� a camera that allows you to change the focus AFTER the picture is taken?? A camera that allows you to take HDR pictures in real time??? A heart rate scanner??? Not to mention the other solid features from the s4, it is now waterproof!!!! this phone is full of gimmicks, but gimmicks are what people want.. personally I'm rocking an s4 now and i find the buddy share feature and the voice activated call answering and other features is awesome and definitely puts this phone well over the top of the iPhone franchise� Blackberry needs to get into the gimmicks game if it wants to stand a chance at regaining marketshare� bottom line
    Good point there about the gimmicks, and it most definitely sells. But I think the time is coming where people will stop and start reflecting a tad bit at what they buy. Example, I use the z10, which has the timeshift feature. It was sick to show my parents and friends for the first weeks of me having the phone, but I've actually never used it for regular use. The regular mode suits me just fine, ofcourse I don't have any kids who might shift around a lot during pictures and hence make me use this feature, but thats just how I've been using it so far. Soon enough, people will look at 'gimmicks' that came with their past phones and ask themselves "Am I reaaaallly gonna use that feature..." as their past experiences will teach em a thing or two.

Anywho, not to knock on Samsung, because the waterproof and general durability increase is something I can see being universally acknowledged!! :]

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 09:21 PM
    I'm not that into Sammy hardware, but this one isn't bad. If there were a Googlefied option, I might even consider it, which, for me, is saying a lot.

Obviously, I like the reduced bloatware. I'm hearing that the stock ROM is huge, so that 128 GB expansion might come in handy. I can afford to wait to see what the other OEMs are bringing; I've been sitting on an upgrade for quite some time; being rooted helps with patience with regards to using Android.

LOL at the "oh no, this won't hook S4 owners" comments. As noted by a few posters, i don't think that's the ultimate goal.
    Bear with me while I causally use ROM and IS quite interchangeably lol Between Google and Samsung, it's interesting to see that the one of the key focus of the latest version of android (KitKat) is the ability to run with much lower system requirements and hence older devices, meanwhile Samsung is straight killing the ROM size with its TouchWiz interface and whatnot.

But then again, I work at a tech store. And roughly 80% or more of the customers I get wholeheartedly think Android is a Samsung exclusive/ Samsung made software... that is for those people who don't call all tablets 'iPads' lol So this opposing trend is interesting to see

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 09:28 PM
33 12