One of the most consistently stated perks of being a BB user is battery life.

Well, as I consider giving the Droid 3 a trial run, I'm wondering what android people do for this power problem.

I mean, do they keep extra batteries on hand?.... do they keep chargers with them? Do they buy one of those extra large batteries with the bulging battery door?

How bad is the battery issue and are the newer android phones getting better battery life?

My plan is to do the trial period with the Droid 3. If I am not wowed by it's efficiency and physical keyboard, I'm going to jump on the 9900 without looking back.

Thanks
    07-07-11 08:28 PM
    These days droids get unlimited battery life. The newer models get unlimited free data, too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    eBud likes this.
    07-07-11 08:34 PM
    My Droid 1 has good battery life.
    I maintain it by keeping the screen brightness off, no bluetooth/GPS on unless needed.
    Make sure all application updating times are either 30 minutes or usually an hour.
    Basically most of the things you would do on a Blackberry.

I also use Advanced Task Killer, some people say it doesn't work but it gives me a peace of mind. I have it set to auto-kill when the screen turns off, but you need to make sure the applications that need to update are on the ignore list or they won't update.

I was considering getting a Droid 3, because I love my OG Droid so much.
    But I might switch carriers now that Verizon is letting people leave within the next 60 days without the ETF.
    Last edited by californiablackberry; 07-07-11 at 08:39 PM.
    07-07-11 08:37 PM
    These days droids get unlimited battery life. The newer models get unlimited free data, too.

please refrain from trolling.
    K Bear, howarmat and dancing-bass like this.
    07-07-11 08:38 PM
    i use mine the same as i used my blackberry. I always have bought extended batteries that still are OEM size. They give you a little boost. At work my signal is always bad so i have a charger there. and a car charger too but i hardly ever need it unless i forget to charge overnight. You can do more extreme things but i have never shut down GPS or data on mine. I think the driod 3 will get good life as most moto phones do.
    07-07-11 08:42 PM
    Most people I know that constantly use their Android phones for everything carry second batteries. Or they carry around a USB cord to plug it into the computer and charge it.

Battery life has been that much of a problem for Android based phones, I think it may just be the biggest knock on their practicality...
    eBud likes this.
    07-07-11 09:23 PM
    Evo 3d battery life is great! I thought it would suck but I'm surprised.
    This is 1.2ghz dual core with 1G ram.
    07-07-11 09:29 PM
    Most people I know who have droids, keep chargers on them.
    07-07-11 09:55 PM
    My HTC Inspire 4g has horrible battery life. I use three chargers but I keep 1 in each main location that I'm going to be in home/work/brig. I am constantly having to top my battery up. I have widgets, bluetooth, wifi, gps off and screen brightness optimized for power. I find it extremely disappointed that my mobile device no longer is quite as mobile.
    07-08-11 05:46 AM
    I had an HTC Inspire for a week. The battery was terrible. I did all I did with my BlackBerry and it would be down to half battery in four or five hours. You must carry a charger and usb cable at all times. I returned it for the Torch. I am so glad I did. Same activities and I am at half battery at the end of the day. My days are from about 9a.m. to about midnight.

I had set the HTC settings on powere management as well as low screen illumination plus no gps no wifi etc.

What finally pushed me over the edge was all the things it could not do that are elegant on BlackBerry; bedside mode when plugged in, notifications, weak led for notifications, low ring tones (could hardly hear it), no auto text, no press to hold for caps, good use of signal, good battery life, and all around speediness. While the HTC is faster, I had to go through more steps for many things than BlackBerry. I love my BlackBerry and loved the HTC, but the Android OS, for me, was not efficient for my emails and such. I am primarily a business user. Finally however was the loss of bbm! That stung.

Back to topic, I have also used a Moto Droid (original) and it's battery life was similarly short. It is great stuff, but the battery life is too short and the OS does not work for me.

Use your 30 day trial and give it a shot. If it is not for you, you are always welcome to come back to the BlackBerry fold.

eBud likes this.
    07-08-11 08:12 AM
    My daughter has an EVO - when her battery is dead, she borrows a phone to call me.

eBud likes this.
    07-08-11 09:21 AM
    i had quite a few Android phones. my solution for battery life was simple - i got a Blackberry.
    eBud likes this.
    07-08-11 09:59 AM
    I have an extended battery and I keep a charger on me. Oh well. I hope things improve as the technology gets better.

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.
    07-08-11 12:20 PM
    If you're using stock roms and kernels, god help you... Keep it connected to your pc or laptop during the day or something.
    07-08-11 12:40 PM
    why carry chargers? you can buy extra batteries for less than the cost of a charger and they are a **** of a lot more convenient. takes 2-3 to switch out and boot back up. I always carry one with me when golfing. 4 hours with GPS use normally zaps 50% or so of the battery lol
    07-08-11 12:41 PM
    I don't carry a charger around with me everywhere I go, but I do have a bunch of chargers located in many areas I'm known to spend time. I've pretty much become accustomed to just plugging it in whenever I'm not using it for extended periods so it doesn't bother me. When I'm out and about for an entire day, I may dip down to the Yellow.

Luckily I didn't have to go out and buy all the chargers, as they're all leftovers from other devices. My old BB chargers still get regular use.
    07-08-11 12:53 PM
    I rooted my phone, installed a custom ROM, and a custom kernel (that's undervolted)

Lasts me through the day with regular usage, and I charge at night.
    07-08-11 01:21 PM
    I had an HTC Inspire for a week. The battery was terrible. I did all I did with my BlackBerry and it would be down to half battery in four or five hours. You must carry a charger and usb cable at all times. I returned it for the Torch. I am so glad I did. Same activities and I am at half battery at the end of the day. My days are from about 9a.m. to about midnight.

I had set the HTC settings on powere management as well as low screen illumination plus no gps no wifi etc.

What finally pushed me over the edge was all the things it could not do that are elegant on BlackBerry; bedside mode when plugged in, notifications, weak led for notifications, low ring tones (could hardly hear it), no auto text, no press to hold for caps, good use of signal, good battery life, and all around speediness. While the HTC is faster, I had to go through more steps for many things than BlackBerry. I love my BlackBerry and loved the HTC, but the Android OS, for me, was not efficient for my emails and such. I am primarily a business user. Finally however was the loss of bbm! That stung.

Back to topic, I have also used a Moto Droid (original) and it's battery life was similarly short. It is great stuff, but the battery life is too short and the OS does not work for me.

Use your 30 day trial and give it a shot. If it is not for you, you are always welcome to come back to the BlackBerry fold.

Just a couple things I want to correct here. I'm not sure what you're referring to with "notifications"..as these are not an issue. You can set different alerts for all the various notifications you have..be it sms, im's, emails, custom alerts from contacts etc..

Depending on the phone..led notification are there. Yes..they aren't as customizable as BerryBuzz..but you can still customize different colors for email, sms, im's, etc (at least I can on my Atrix).

Auto-correct can be achieved by using Smart Keyboard. It doesn't require root..and is as fully functional as the BB's auto correct.

Back on topic..battery life is very subjective depending on use. I only have 2 chargers..my one at home and one in my vehicle (which I rarely use). My torch would only last me a full day (15 hours) and usually be down to 30%..whereas my Atrix will be down to about 15% in the same time frame..although I use my Atrix much more than I did my BB for things like web surfing, e-reading etc.
    07-08-11 01:23 PM
    The only extra charger I have is a car charger. I use it if I feel like it. My phone lasts. If I'm at work I'm not using my phone all day because I'm working. ;-)

07-08-11 01:31 PM
    I have one OEM battery, a charger at home, one in the car, and a data cable on my PC at work. The only time I have to plug my Evo in is at night, at home. I am a moderate to heavy user and I get at least 16 hours out of my phone.

A few tips:

If you are in an area with WiFi, use it! It is faster than 3G and uses less power than 3G and 4G.

Turn off BT, GPS, 4G, Mobile Data (in Wifi) when you are not using it.

And one thing that sounds like voodoo, but works, is conditioning your battery. There are s few ways of doing it. For my Samsung Moment it was a matter of charging it fully when the phone was off, and then letting it die. This isn't necessarily for the battery, but the software needs to be calibrated so it knows where the battery's "limits" are.

On my Evo, I did that, and then I did an additional step, which was suggested to another user on XDA by HTC.

Official response from HTC RE: How to double battery Life (WORKS!) + 2nd Reply - xda-developers

What people have to realise is that going from a BB to an Android is a big jump in performance and hardware power. The best analogy I can think of is this:

Owning a Blackberry is like owning a Honda Civic. It is a great car that does a bunch of things well. It gets great gas mileage and is very easy to maintain. Owning an Android is like having a Ferrari. It is pretty, fast, and can do a lot of things very well, but if used to it's fullest potential, it gets horrible gas mileage, is impractical sometimes, and needs constant maintenance.

That being said, I love my Ferrari and don't mind having to do a few tweaks to get the best gas mileage while maintaining the horsepower.
    07-08-11 02:56 PM
    Also remember, GSM devices have slightly better battery life, especially if they are stock Android GSM devices like the Nexus series and the G2.
    howarmat likes this.
    07-08-11 05:26 PM
    I've gone all day before, but I'd prefer to keep it topped off so plop it into a pod or use the car charger(seldom). It's not an issue.
    07-08-11 07:13 PM
    No battery issues here. Both my SGS and Inc S last me all day and I use them quite a bit.

07-08-11 07:23 PM
    I have the ATRIX so I get great battery life. Just like my torch.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    07-08-11 09:08 PM
    Back when i had a captivate (and iPhone for that matter as well) i just kept my charger with me. Wasnt really a hassle, just stayed in my bookbag until need or hanging from my rearview mirror.

When I get my Inspire in a couple days I have already planned to get an extra battery.
    07-08-11 10:48 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD