Just past Christmas (2009) I wanted the Storm 2 and my brother wanted the motorola droid. Neither of us were eligible for a new-every-2 upgrade. We should have had to paid full retail for the phones, but they let us renew our 2 year contract early, in order to get the sale price on the phones (which I think was around $200)

Anyways... that was like 7 months ago.

Well, I really want to get the new droid X.
    I am willing to pay the $199 (after rebate) for that phone...

But I am worried that I might not be able to get it for that price.
    Do you think they would be able to give me the phone for the $199 price tag, or do you think they will tell me that my contract was just renewed and that I will have to wait two more years (or pay full retail) ??
    07-12-10 11:32 PM
    1. How long would you have had to have waited for the 2yr to be up when you were able to upgrade early around Christmas?

2. No. Not a shot in ****.
    07-12-10 11:34 PM
    1. How long would you have had to have waited for the 2yr to be up when you were able to upgrade early around Christmas?

2. No. Not a shot in ****.
    Its kind of confusing really....

We are all on a family share plan with my dad. I am 20 years old....
    but I have been on the share plan since I was 15, and I see no point in getting my own plan anytime soon.

With that said. In December of 2008. I got my Storm 1. I was not eligible for a 2 year upgrade, but my dad was. They let me use my dads upgrade in order to get my storm 1 at the sale price.

Then last December (2009) I wanted the Storm 2.
    If I am not mistaken, I wasn't at my 2 year upgrade date yet, but I was close (since I had used my dads the year before, mine was still good) So they let me renew a little early in order to get the sale price.

I guess there is probably no chance of me getting this phone for the sale price on this plan...

I could drop out of the plan, and get my own contract with Verizon..... to get the phone for the sale price....

But I don't know how the big cancellation fee on a secondary line of a family share plan would be.
    07-12-10 11:48 PM
    Sorry, but you are right - you really stand no chance of getting an early upgrade. Seeing as you were close the last time you upgraded, this makes sense as Verizon will often allow its customers who are nearing their 2 year to upgrade a bit early. Since you are nowhere near now, you are kind of SOL.

As far as canceling in order to get the Droid, my advice would be no. Do you have excellent credit? You'll need it to avoid a deposit with Verizon. There should be no ETF to cancel a secondary line, but honestly why fix it if it ain't broke? It sounds to me as if you like to switch cell phones often, and there is nothing wrong with that, but what happens when you get your own plan and get the Droid, then something bigger and better comes out that you want? You are stuck.

Learn to love your current device and be patient. When your 2 year approaches, decide what you want at that point and get it.
    07-12-10 11:54 PM
    Sorry, but you are right - you really stand no chance of getting an early upgrade. Seeing as you were close the last time you upgraded, this makes sense as Verizon will often allow its customers who are nearing their 2 year to upgrade a bit early. Since you are nowhere near now, you are kind of SOL.

As far as canceling in order to get the Droid, my advice would be no. Do you have excellent credit? You'll need it to avoid a deposit with Verizon. There should be no ETF to cancel a secondary line, but honestly why fix it if it ain't broke? It sounds to me as if you like to switch cell phones often, and there is nothing wrong with that, but what happens when you get your own plan and get the Droid, then something bigger and better comes out that you want? You are stuck.

Learn to love your current device and be patient. When your 2 year approaches, decide what you want at that point and get it.
    I actually do have really good Credit...
    I got a credit card as soon as I turned 18, and started making small purchases and paying them off. Last time I checked, my credit score was like 800.

I guess I do switch phones a lot.....

I am just (dare I say it) bored with my blackberry. I never thought I would be.... but the lack of apps is starting to depress me. At first I loved this phone. But The more I play with my brothers droid, the more I LOVE the droid OS.

I am a huuuuge Linux user and supporter. So I love being able to customize stuff. And the droid OS reminds me more of Linux. Having more home screens, having music widgets, slideshow widgets. About the only thing you can do on the storms home screen, is decide if you want 4 or 8 icons.

I just feel like my blackberry has to much of a business feel, and not enough options. You can change the theme every once in a while, but they are still soooo limited.

And I LOVE photography. I take my canon almost everywhere I go. I know that the 8 mega-pixel camera on the droid X will not compare to that.... but I love the idea of HD video recording on the X. I would use the crap out of that feature....

I am stuck on the fence now....
    If there is no early cancellation fee on a secondary line, I could get the droid X. But it would be a huge hassle.

I guess I just wish the blackberry OS wasn't so Limited...
    Its such a nice phone...
    07-13-10 12:12 AM
    As long as you believe in yourself, you can do anything your heart desires. Except fly and escape death. But on a more serious note, I think your chances are kind of slim at a repeat of last time, but maybe you are 1337 at social engineering hehehe.
    07-13-10 01:43 AM
    Ok.

Well say I buy a used Motorola Droid in good condition.

How big of a hassle is it to get it activated?

I know its easy to switch blackberry's. For instance, If I had a tour and a storm, it is really easy to switch back and forth without worrying about changing the plan....

But the droid obviously has a different plan than the blackberry. Would it cost anything to activate a droid if my number is already set up for a blackberry?

And would I be able to switch back to blackberry from time to time (obviously not frequently, im talking months apart) ???
    07-13-10 02:42 AM
    It should be easy as pie. If you have your contacts synced to a GMail account then that's half the battle. The rest is just doing the transfer of numbers from one device to another which is simple if you follow the device switch instructions of VZW's website. Now about your data plan. If you have the standard 29.99 per month data plan, then you are good to go, but if you have all that BES stuff and the corporate plan then you will need to call and switch that to the standard one. I want to say that the plan should switch automatically but just call and make sure you aren't being over charged. Always remember to do a *228 after the switch!
    07-13-10 03:20 AM
    you'll probably have to call to go from a blackberry to android, due to the BB specific data plan. I did when I switched from the tour back to the Ally.
    07-13-10 06:36 AM
    Secondary lines do have a ETF on them if you are still under contract. They are no different then the primary line.

I like to change phones a lot also, my suggestion to you is to do 1 year contracts.
    07-13-10 07:15 AM
    Heck they won't allow me to upgrade 6 days early to get the X...
    07-13-10 09:21 AM
    im so happy because i called verizon and asked about the droid x and see if i could upgrade, so she said she will call me thursday morning to tell me the prices of the droid x and not only that, she changed my upgrade date so i could upgrade today!!! looks like im getting the X
    07-13-10 09:31 AM
    Ok.

Well say I buy a used Motorola Droid in good condition.

How big of a hassle is it to get it activated?

I know its easy to switch blackberry's. For instance, If I had a tour and a storm, it is really easy to switch back and forth without worrying about changing the plan....

But the droid obviously has a different plan than the blackberry. Would it cost anything to activate a droid if my number is already set up for a blackberry?

And would I be able to switch back to blackberry from time to time (obviously not frequently, im talking months apart) ???
    you switch on verizonwireless.com to activate the phone and it will automatically ask u and there is no charge. i switch from blackberry to android to android to blackberry all the time. but now i use solid android so yea lol
    07-13-10 09:38 AM
    my suggestion to you is to do 1 year contracts.
    Yeah but with 1-year contracts you have to pay $70 on top of the subsidized price whereas with a 2-year contract and a plan that starts at $59.99 (data package/discounts excluded) you can upgrade every 12 months with only having to pay $20 on top of the subsidized price.

Contracts, Phone Pricing, and Upgrades:

Before we start talking about when you can upgrade your phone, how much the phone will cost, and if it has a free pony, we need to cover the Three basic contract "terms" offered by Verizon. These terms have the same monthly cost associated with them, but they change the upfront cost (and upgrade date) of the devices dramatically.

Standard two year pricing:
    This is the typical contract that verizon wants to sign you up for. Whenever you see a phone advertised for "$199.99" or "bogo" it is for a two year contract. This contract give you the cheapest price up front for the phone and more "perks"than other options, but it also requires the longest commitment and wait time before you're eligible for cheap pricing again.

For two year contracts, you can upgrade every twenty months. This means that if you got the DroidX at launch (7/15/2010), you'd be able to get promotional pricing again on 3/15/2012.

One thing to remember is that any special promotions like buy one get one sales, special "coupons," New every 2 discounts or "24hr sales" will only work with Two year contracts.

Two year contracts have two other benefits that are different from what the other options offer. The first is that if you agree to another two year agreement when you're eligible to upgrade, you'll receive an additional discount (an extra $30 to $50 dollars depending on your plan) on top of the promotional price. If you're content with verizon's service and coverage, this is a nice added benefit to the agreement.

The second benefit is what's called an "Annual Upgrade." This is available to any single line or primary line on a family share plan that meets a certain plan criteria. If your account qualifies, you can upgrade to a new phone every 12 months at standard 2 year pricing (plus a $20 annual upgrade fee).

To qualify for an annual upgrade, single line plans must have a Plan package $59.99 or higher BEFORE adding any features, such as email&web. This is any Nationwide Talk plan above 900 minutes, or any Nationwide Talk&Text plan. For family share plans, Family Nationwide Talk plans over 1400 minutes or any Family Nationwide Talk&Text plans qualify. Remember, $9.99 share plans or any "legacy" plans (such as Americas Choice) do not qualify for annual upgrades.

One year contracts:
    Like the name implies, this is a one year agreement with Verizon. Store reps, and most phone/online reps will not mention this option because it's less profitable for the company and more importantly (at least for them) it makes them a LOT less money in commission. For you the user, you'll be expected to pay a slight premium (typically $70 more than the two year price) in exchange for the shorter contract.

A lot authorized retailers (like the one I worked for) won't even offer one year contracts as an option because it means they end up losing money on the deal. Just like coupons and special offers only work with 2 year contracts, most "spiffs" (what Verizon pays the retailer to help cover the discount of the phone) only work with 2 year contracts as well. If you want to go for a one year contract, your best best is to do it online.

What a one year contract allows you to do is to get new phone ever 10 months for a discounted price. For android users, this can be a huge benefit since it seems you can's sneeze before a new android phone is announced. It's not an "anytime upgrade" but it's about as good as you'll get if you want some sort of discount on your new toy.

Month to Month contracts:
    For those of us who like having the best devices as soon as they come out, or if you're someone who hates the idea of being tied down for any period of time, this is the best option. There are absolutely no discounts on the phone itself (no coupons, special offers, etc will work with this contract) so you'll be paying the "sticker price" of a phone. To give you a point of reference, the sticker price of the Motorola Droid is $559.99 while it is only $149.99 on a two year agreement through verizon.

So why buy a phone this way? Purchasing a phone retail also helps sooth that irrational anger we as consumers can get when we go to get a new phone and the salesperson quotes the retail price since we can't upgrade yet. And if you're like me, knowing that the phone in your pocket is a $600 piece of technology instead of a $199 special makes you take extra care of it. But these are psychological benefits, but there are also very tangible benefits to consider.

For one, buying a phone at retail cost means that you can end your contract with Verizon whenever you feel like it. For some customers (such as myself) this is a big enough benefit for them to forgo contracts completely. If you're someone who likes the latest and greatest (and you take care of your phones) selling your old models to friends or on ebay will help soften the sticker shock somewhat.

If you are currently in a contract with Verizon, you can purchase a new phone to put on your line at full retail cost without extending your contract, so if you're thinking of switching to Verizon, but don't want to spend the extra money now, you can always sign a one or two year agreement now, and then buy the "next big thing" at retail whenever it comes out. Conversely, if you're on a month to month plan and want to sign a new contract (1 or 2 year) for a new phone, you can do so at any time.
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/veri...contracts.html

Heck they won't allow me to upgrade 6 days early to get the X...
    Dude, it's only six days. Come on.
    Last edited by dwe28; 07-13-10 at 11:10 AM.
    07-13-10 10:35 AM
    I get the idea of 'only 6 days'. But with what happened with the Incredible, that can mean 2 months...or more.
    07-13-10 10:42 AM
    nope i got the bold from the tour the droid from ebay lol so now the droid is linked to my account with insurance and i check check again online and im able to upgrade it today. i think the rep i talked to today just wanted a sell so thats why she fixed it.
    07-13-10 11:25 AM
    nope i got the bold from the tour the droid from ebay lol so now the droid is linked to my account with insurance and i check check again online and im able to upgrade it today. i think the rep i talked to today just wanted a sell so thats why she fixed it.
    niceeeeeeeeeee
    07-13-10 12:00 PM
    now im confused, in order for me to get the x i have to split the payment, but i cant pay 299 i could pay 199. if i order over the phone will i get it for 199 and be able to split the payment??
    07-13-10 12:08 PM
    now im confused, in order for me to get the x i have to split the payment, but i cant pay 299 i could pay 199. if i order over the phone will i get it for 199 and be able to split the payment??
    By split do you mean use two different payment methods? If so I'm sure you could do it just fine and dandy over the phone with a rep if you explain your circumstances to them clearly and simply so they don't end up charging you billions of dollars for your new toy!
    07-13-10 02:52 PM
    By split do you mean use two different payment methods? If so I'm sure you could do it just fine and dandy over the phone with a rep if you explain your circumstances to them clearly and simply so they don't end up charging you billions of dollars for your new toy!
    gonna try that thursday morning
    07-13-10 03:40 PM
    gonna try that thursday morning
    Best of luck to you man.
    07-13-10 04:00 PM
    Good luck. Let us know how everything turns out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-10 04:07 PM
    I actually do have really good Credit...
    I got a credit card as soon as I turned 18, and started making small purchases and paying them off. Last time I checked, my credit score was like 800.

I guess I do switch phones a lot.....

I am just (dare I say it) bored with my blackberry. I never thought I would be.... but the lack of apps is starting to depress me. At first I loved this phone. But The more I play with my brothers droid, the more I LOVE the droid OS.

I am a huuuuge Linux user and supporter. So I love being able to customize stuff. And the droid OS reminds me more of Linux. Having more home screens, having music widgets, slideshow widgets. About the only thing you can do on the storms home screen, is decide if you want 4 or 8 icons.

I just feel like my blackberry has to much of a business feel, and not enough options. You can change the theme every once in a while, but they are still soooo limited.

And I LOVE photography. I take my canon almost everywhere I go. I know that the 8 mega-pixel camera on the droid X will not compare to that.... but I love the idea of HD video recording on the X. I would use the crap out of that feature....

I am stuck on the fence now....
    If there is no early cancellation fee on a secondary line, I could get the droid X. But it would be a huge hassle.

I guess I just wish the blackberry OS wasn't so Limited...
    Its such a nice phone...
    Well, it's good to hear that your credit score is good enough that Verizon won't require a deposit. 800? Not sure I believe that, but hey who knows?

The bottom line is that you should contact Verizon and see exactly what you would need to do to get the Droid at the discounted price and then weigh out your options. Is whatever hassle you have to go through worth getting the phone? No? Then don't do it. If it is worth it, then get the Droid. It sounds to me as if you are wanting something with more media and entertainment options, and Blackberry certainly isn't #1 for that. I personally swear by Blackberry and carry two with me at all times, but I also do a ton of business from my devices, so they make more sense for me.

Like I said, go to Verizon, see what you need to do, and take it from there. Good luck.
    07-13-10 05:12 PM
    Well, it's good to hear that your credit score is good enough that Verizon won't require a deposit. 800? Not sure I believe that, but hey who knows?

The bottom line is that you should contact Verizon and see exactly what you would need to do to get the Droid at the discounted price and then weigh out your options. Is whatever hassle you have to go through worth getting the phone? No? Then don't do it. If it is worth it, then get the Droid. It sounds to me as if you are wanting something with more media and entertainment options, and Blackberry certainly isn't #1 for that. I personally swear by Blackberry and carry two with me at all times, but I also do a ton of business from my devices, so they make more sense for me.

Like I said, go to Verizon, see what you need to do, and take it from there. Good luck.
    Well,
    It was actually in the 700's. I just rounded to 800.

Well... I just bought a moto droid off ebay.
    $230 bucks. Not bad....

It was used for only two weeks.... And I checked the ESN.

I called Verizon earlier. They told me that I couldn't get the upgrade until 2011.... So I decided to wait. In 2011, there will be something that easily tops the droid X.
    07-13-10 05:34 PM
    Well,
    It was actually in the 700's. I just rounded to 800.

Well... I just bought a moto droid off ebay.
    $230 bucks. Not bad....

It was used for only two weeks.... And I checked the ESN.

I called Verizon earlier. They told me that I couldn't get the upgrade until 2011.... So I decided to wait. In 2011, there will be something that easily tops the droid X.
    i could have sold u my droid LOL but tech i wasnt able for a upgrade until 8/11/2011 and they bumped it to today so tech u just have to get a nice rep
    07-13-10 05:41 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD