I've always been a bb guy but am not married to the brand. I own and run a small business and communications are of the utmost importance. I love a touch screen mainly because my eyes are getting pretty lousy the older I get.

I never messed much with a droid. Are they good at email, phone, etc for communicating? And do any of them have good battery life? I always hear about how bad battery life is...what advantages would have with a droid over a berry for my type of lifestyle?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-11 04:52 PM
    Hey there,
    In my opinion and you don't have to take my word for it, but this new Line of BB are the best.
    Take a look at this 10min videos.
    10min of you life for Bold 9900
    10min of you life for torch 9810

Then w8 for the reviews, but in my opinion torch will fit your business cause it has a bigger screen.
    08-14-11 05:21 PM
    It's never easy to suggest what is best for someone else, but I can honestly say that in my business (Real Estate), Android and iOS are far better than BlackBerry, which is why almost nobody in my business uses a BB anymore. The biggest reasons are:

1) Faster, easier, and better internet, and in the case of Android, Flash support.

2) No truncated email (we rely on getting complete emails and attachments while away from our computers).

3) More and better applications that are specific to our industry.

Those are the biggies.

Anyway, as far as email goes, while the push notifications for all emails was nice on BB, the truncation had turned into a real and massive problem for me. My two most important email accounts now are gmail anyway, so those get pushed with Android. I have no issue with pulling from my other email accounts. Being able to view my entire emails is MUCH more important to me than getting partial messages pushed.

The internet experience on my ThunderBolt is almost as good as it is on my desktop computer. Really. I don't have to wait 2 minutes for a page to load only to look at pictures that are so compressed and pixelated (even on high quality setting) that I can hardly tell what they are. If I want to watch a video of a property or show one to a client, it's usually not a problem.

BTW, I am also suffering from vision degradation, so as far as I'm concerned, the bigger the screen, the better. Even the screen on our iPhone is just too small for me anymore. The 4.3" screen on the TBolt is just about right. I think it's definitely about the maximum I would want for holding and carrying the phone though.

The battery life could be an issue for you...it was for me. I decided to get an extended battery and now all is well. True, it makes the phone fatter, but I don't mind that at all. I actually prefer it that way.

Anyway, I definitely think Android is worth looking into, especially if you want a large screen. Which one though is totally your call.
    08-14-11 05:24 PM
    I'd say, for your business, take a look at the bold touch offerings - if you're willing. With this said, you're looking into Android. The bare bones (stock Android Open Source Project) email app is OK, and isn't push either. I'd recommend the gmail, or K9 email apps (I'm sure others have their recommendations, too). If battery is your concern, I hear Motorolas have good battery life. HTCs - depending on who you talk to, and what they've done to their phones - are something to be on the cautious size (yeah, I have an incredible, but I've got three batteries total, with an extended on the way; and am rooted). phone, it's fine. you'll find the search button to be your friend. communicating, like texting, I'd say the stock is fine, but Handcent SMS is more robust. If I had to choose, I'd choose between the Charge, and the Droid X2. I've heard people say good things bout the Thunderbolt, but YMMV
    08-14-11 05:26 PM
    The HTC Mail app does push mail as well if you setup your accounts as Exchange accounts (real easy to do). Pretty sure Samsung and Motorola support this as well.
    08-14-11 05:31 PM
    Chuck, I'm to the understanding that the new os7 berry's are going to have a much bigger allowance on email size. Not sure how much. But yes, i can see how this would be an issue for a guy like you....and yes, battery life may ultimately be the main reason I stay with bb.

UE507, I think of all the new bb devices coming out I'm most intrigued by the 9850. Never liked slide out keyboards.

08-14-11 05:32 PM
    Some of the BB disadvantages will disappear with the new devices and new BB mail system. For this reason I would go with a BB 9850/9860 or an iPhone 4/5. Unless your a realitor and then I would add one of the androids to the list. Personally I would go for the 9850/9860 since it's a full touch screen but also benefits from the addition of the trackpad for fine stuff that may be clumbsy when using a touch screen.

One thing to consider with the 9810 is it uses the same screen that the 9900 uses but it is turned 90 degrees so you get a portrait view instead of the landscape view on the 9900. That plus the superior keyboard on the 9900 makes the 9810 a device full of drawbacks and no advantages the other new devices have. The 9800 was also notorious for having a junky slide mechanism as well.

It is also my opinion that Android and Windows devices will not get the long term support Blackberry and Apple will provide. They build them and ship them and that's it. With a Blackberry you will be able to customize and update the most important part of your device years down the road. The Software.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 08-14-11 at 05:49 PM.
    08-14-11 05:38 PM
    @olblueyez
    Yes you are right about some of the thing Old torch has, but i must say the NEW torch it doesn't have the same feeling and it doesn't have the same display, on the new torch the Screen is more responsive and more crisp and clear, i know for shore cause in last 3-4 days i used both and test them both devices side by side, and in my Opinion the new Torch is a WIN. but what i really don't like at the device is the sensitive of the up top buttons, but i purchase an app called berryslider and it resolve the problem.

"The 9800 was also notorious for having a junky slide mechanism as well."
    I never had any problems with my sliding mechanism on my old torch and i hope i will not have in my new one as well. the only thing i had a problem with is i collected dust under the screen but thet not a big deal i cleaned and is look like new also after i cleaned i put a heating cream (used for processor on PC) around the edge of the display and it good to go.(with a syringe and a needle you can fill the gap).

In my opinion every one should choose what phone suits them best.
    08-14-11 06:03 PM
    @olblueyez
    Yes you are right NEW torch it doesn't have the same feeling and it doesn't have the same display, on the new torch the Screen is more responsive and more crisp and clear
    Some things to consider:

9900/9930 640 x 480 Landscape Touch Screen, Best qwerty in the business.

9850/9860 480 x 800 Portrait Touch Screen, Biggest Screen & Best Touch keyboard in the business.

----9810---- 480 x 640 Portrait Touch Screen, worst OS 7 qwerty keyboard available. Stupid slider crap.

What would be the advantage of owning a 9810,,??? It adds no more screen realistate than the 9900 and has an inferior keyboard to the 9900. If a pure touch screen is what you want then the 9850/9860 ARE the way to go, they have a larger screen than the other two and because of that the keyboard will be larger in landscape mode.

IMO the 9810 is a basturd model and brings nothing to the table but disadvantages.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 08-14-11 at 07:46 PM.
    08-14-11 07:38 PM
    It is also my opinion that Android and Windows devices will not get the long term support Blackberry and Apple will provide. They build them and ship them and that's it. With a Blackberry you will be able to customize and update the most important part of your device years down the road. The Software.
    Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure only a few devices got OS 6 and none of the OS 6 devices will be getting OS 7...and probably none of the OS 7 devices will get QNX. On the other hand, a lot of Android phones have gotten Gingerbread, and all Windows Phone devices will get Mango.
    08-14-11 11:22 PM
    If e-mail truncation is a problem, use BES or there is an app called Logicmail that is pretty nice even though it's only in beta.
    08-16-11 02:54 AM
    Some of the BB disadvantages will disappear with the new devices and new BB mail system. For this reason I would go with a BB 9850/9860 or an iPhone 4/5. Unless your a realitor and then I would add one of the androids to the list. Personally I would go for the 9850/9860 since it's a full touch screen but also benefits from the addition of the trackpad for fine stuff that may be clumbsy when using a touch screen.

One thing to consider with the 9810 is it uses the same screen that the 9900 uses but it is turned 90 degrees so you get a portrait view instead of the landscape view on the 9900. That plus the superior keyboard on the 9900 makes the 9810 a device full of drawbacks and no advantages the other new devices have. The 9800 was also notorious for having a junky slide mechanism as well.

You make good points, and I hate speaking in absolutes, but I think Android has the best long time support in the business... one reason that you can have the original Android device running Gingerbread.

The Dev community is the most active as well. This saves people money in hardware costs.
    08-16-11 08:53 AM
    You make good points, and I hate speaking in absolutes, but I think Android has the best long time support in the business... one reason that you can have the original Android device running Gingerbread.

The Dev community is the most active as well. This saves people money in hardware costs.
    Gotta give devs love for what they do

Sent from my Incredible
    08-16-11 12:18 PM
    Some things to consider:

9900/9930 640 x 480 Landscape Touch Screen, Best qwerty in the business.

9850/9860 480 x 800 Portrait Touch Screen, Biggest Screen & Best Touch keyboard in the business.

----9810---- 480 x 640 Portrait Touch Screen, worst OS 7 qwerty keyboard available. Stupid slider crap.

What would be the advantage of owning a 9810,,??? It adds no more screen realistate than the 9900 and has an inferior keyboard to the 9900. If a pure touch screen is what you want then the 9850/9860 ARE the way to go, they have a larger screen than the other two and because of that the keyboard will be larger in landscape mode.

IMO the 9810 is a basturd model and brings nothing to the table but disadvantages.
    Torch is $49 on contract on AT&T.... Also some of your statements are a little overexaggerated. Even if the screen resolution is the same the physical screen size and orientation choices are not.

Also your statement about "worst OS7 qwerty keyboard" when there are a total of two different models that have a qwerty keyboard and OS7....
    08-16-11 01:35 PM
    Torch is $49 on contract on AT&T.... Also some of your statements are a little overexaggerated. Even if the screen resolution is the same the physical screen size and orientation choices are not.

Also your statement about "worst OS7 qwerty keyboard" when there are a total of two different models that have a qwerty keyboard and OS7....
    Hey Einstein, I am talking about the 9810, not the 9800. The screen on the 9800 has a lower resolution than the 9810 and the 9810 is not 49 dollars, it hasn't been released yet. Yes of the two qwerty OS7 models the 9810 is inferior.

Do you even switch on your brain before you speak/type?

08-16-11 05:54 PM
    As for battery life, this touchscreen torch is not proven yet. With 3.7" screen and 1230mah battery it will definitely struggle. most android use 1400mah and up.
    In any case touchscreen torch have so many
    Competitors, while torch slider have the segment on his own- no competition to speak of on the candy bar slider market...maybe pre 3...?
    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    08-16-11 06:07 PM
    Hey Einstein, I am talking about the 9810, not the 9800. The screen on the 9800 has a lower resolution than the 9810 and the 9810 is not 49 dollars, it hasn't been released yet. Yes of the two qwerty OS7 models the 9810 is inferior.

Do you even switch on your brain before you speak/type?

Double einstein I am also talking about the 9810....

Apparently you don't follow the news very well...
    AT&T Confirms BlackBerry Torch 9810 Pricing at $49.99 w/2-Year Contract - BerryReview
    08-16-11 06:29 PM
    Double einstein I am also talking about the 9810....

Apparently you don't follow the news very well...
    AT&T Confirms BlackBerry Torch 9810 Pricing at $49.99 w/2-Year Contract - BerryReview
    You got me there Mr. 9800, now maybe you can tell me what the fuk that has to do with my original post.

08-16-11 07:21 PM
    Last ditch attempt to try and save face, I get it... The swearing adds nothing to help you there

08-17-11 03:32 AM
    What exactly is it about $49.99 that makes it a better business phone? The price? If that is your criteria then get a free phone.

No face to save, you still have not made a valid point. It doesn't exist in your conversation.
    08-17-11 10:56 AM
    I've had both, let me sum my .02 up for you:
    If messaging (emial, txt) is the most important thing then BB. (android is fine)
    If browsing is the most important thing then android wins big.
    Typing is a matter of preference. My favorite kb was the Pearl. Curve was good. 8900 was OK. Dinc is OK.
    If a big screen is key then Droid X wins, easier to type too.
    Cameras are decent either way.
    Battery: BB wins hands down. I loved the magnet case thing too.
    Operating systems are both pretty good once you learn them.
    I almost never have had to battery pull my android phones (not much on BB).
    Choice of apps: android hands down.
    Homescreen: I loved the BB. Multiples in android are good too.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 08-18-11 at 04:28 PM.
    08-18-11 04:24 PM
    I've had both, let me sum my .02 up for you:
    If messaging (emial, txt) is the most important thing then BB. (android is fine)
    If browsing is the most important thing then android wins big.
    Typing is a matter of preference. My favorite kb was the Pearl. Curve was good. 8900 was OK. Dinc is OK.
    If a big screen is key then Droid X wins, easier to type too.
    Cameras are decent either way.
    Battery: BB wins hands down. I loved the magnet case thing too.
    Operating systems are both pretty good once you learn them.
    I almost never have had to battery pull my android phones (not much on BB).
    Choice of apps: android hands down.
    Homescreen: I loved the BB. Multiples in android are good too.
    Cool, so for my Wife (Likes to Text) and for myself (Blog and Surf) still both Blackberry?
    08-18-11 09:05 PM
    For blog and surf wouldn't a big touchscreen be the better choice? 9850 or any of newer androids.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    08-19-11 05:58 AM
    Cool, so for my Wife (Likes to Text) and for myself (Blog and Surf) still both Blackberry?
    I don't quite get how BB's are better for texting? If it's because of the keyboard..then that's a PERSONAL preference. It's funny how often I see people "plunk plunk plunk-ing" on their BB's..slowly typing away. Yes..many people prefer pushing an actual key..but I can assure you..those of us that are used to virtual keyboards..can type blazingly fast on them.

It's all personal preference. I will say this though..if you do alot of Copy/Pasting..then you might want to think BB. While things have definately improved with Gingerbread..I still find it to be frustrating sometimes. Although..judging from the amount of complaints with the PB about it..it's mostly a touchscreen thing.
    08-19-11 07:06 AM
    I don't quite get how BB's are better for texting? If it's because of the keyboard..then that's a PERSONAL preference. It's funny how often I see people "plunk plunk plunk-ing" on their BB's..slowly typing away. Yes..many people prefer pushing an actual key..but I can assure you..those of us that are used to virtual keyboards..can type blazingly fast on them.

It's all personal preference. I will say this though..if you do alot of Copy/Pasting..then you might want to think BB. While things have definately improved with Gingerbread..I still find it to be frustrating sometimes. Although..judging from the amount of complaints with the PB about it..it's mostly a touchscreen thing.
    Funny you should say that but Copy/Paste are a big part of my act.I never thought to consider that. The copy and paste features on the iPhone were much nicer than I imagined they would be but the lack of real keys kills it for me. Even if I did decide to go to a touch screen device I would still want some hard keys and trackpad. Using a touch screen cannot be convenient 100% of the time. Driving comes to mind.
    08-19-11 10:29 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD