about the lack of Bluetooth voice dialing on any Android phone.

Verizon's android forum has a thread and I expect in the days and weeks ahead to see this astonishing lack of basic functionality to make it's way to a prominent position in the blogosphere. The day I bought our S2's I told the Verizon salesman that the droids couldn't do BT VD, so he ran into the back room to confirm that on the store's ONE droid they had to play with before launch. He came back and confirmed what I already knew. Verizon can be so CLUELESS sometimes. The salesman and manager didn't know squat about the BT VD issue. The salesman said he was going to escalate the issue up the chain of command, knowing as we all do, that there will be a lot of unhappy campers when they get their shiny new toy home, only to find it can't dial from BT.
    11-07-09 07:50 AM
    about the lack of Bluetooth voice dialing on any Android phone.

Verizon's android forum has a thread and I expect in the days and weeks ahead to see this astonishing lack of basic functionality to make it's way to a prominent position in the blogosphere. The day I bought our S2's I told the Verizon salesman that the droids couldn't do BT VD, so he ran into the back room to confirm that on the store's ONE droid they had to play with before launch. He came back and confirmed what I already knew. Verizon can be so CLUELESS sometimes. The salesman and manager didn't know squat about the BT VD issue. The salesman said he was going to escalate the issue up the chain of command, knowing as we all do, that there will be a lot of unhappy campers when they get their shiny new toy home, only to find it can't dial from BT.
    Until 2.1 comes along and solves this issue.
    11-07-09 07:58 AM
    I would rather not have BT dialing then have:

Phone running slow (running low on app memory) (My old Storm)
    White bars down the side in landscape view (My old Storm)
    Click issues. Its not click-tastic (My old Storm)
    No WiFi (My old Storm)
    Delay when unlocking/locking (My old Storm)

Bluetooth NOT WORK AT ALL in the car. (My wife's Tour)
    Trackball issues (my wife's Tour)
    11-07-09 07:59 AM
    I would rather not have BT dialing then have:

Phone running slow (running low on app memory) (My old Storm)
    White bars down the side in landscape view (My old Storm)
    Click issues. Its not click-tastic (My old Storm)
    No WiFi (My old Storm)
    Delay when unlocking/locking (My old Storm)

Bluetooth NOT WORK AT ALL in the car. (My wife's Tour)
    Trackball issues (my wife's Tour)
    Hmmm... not having those issues with my S1
    app memory stabilized after .328 update (wasn't that big a deal prior - currently running 13 apps)
    white bars only show when using certain themes (zen 5.0 is great)
    mine clicks just fine (everywhere)- had it since June
    and locking/unlocking is almost instant with the .328 upgrade

no need for wi fi and haven't tried the tour, but other than that - I really am a happy camper
    11-07-09 08:10 AM
    Funny, my wife got the Moment. The first thing she said to me on the way to work this morning was "Thank God I do not have to hear that woman say 'Say a command please'"
    11-07-09 08:16 AM
    All u have to do is use voice dialing. This phone in some respects is for geeks...
    I pretty much have this thing wired in after about a day
    11-07-09 08:22 AM
    app memory stabilized after .328 update (wasn't that big a deal prior - currently running 13 apps)

no need for wi fi and haven't tried the tour, but other than that - I really am a happy camper

I like how these are after the .328 update. What about before it. Remember the good ol .75 days?

When I buy a new phone, I want it working out of the box. Not having to sit around and wait for OS leaks HOPING my phone will run as it is supposed to.

And the click, you maybe one of the lucky ones. Do a search, and you will see most of the original shipments of Storms either have business card under the cover now, or you had to open it up to torx the screws correctly.
    11-07-09 08:28 AM

Never had app memory issues (but constant leak of memory which a reset each night solved - of course you shouldn't have to reset a phone every night).

White bars never really saw but didn't bother me when I did

Click was ok, but forget about typing fast.

Wifi is much needed.

Other post forgot to mention that getting on the net is about twice as fast as on the Storm, or any BB for that matter. I love this aspect the most.
    11-07-09 08:31 AM
    Is bt vd dialing really that big of an issue with people?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-09 08:33 AM
    Voice Dialing is huge for me. I wish the playback confirmation was clearer though. It's definitely a software issue though as my speakers are clear. The playback of the name is the only part that's horribly garbled.

It: "Say a Command"
    Me: "Call Jon Doe"
    It: "Did you say 'Garble Garble'?"
    Me: "Yes"
    It: "Calling"

Last edited by dchawk81; 11-07-09 at 08:38 AM.
    11-07-09 08:35 AM
    Funny, my wife got the Moment. The first thing she said to me on the way to work this morning was "Thank God I do not have to hear that woman say 'Say a command please'"
    All she had to do was switch the convinience key to something else or just simply set it to do "nothing"
    11-07-09 08:46 AM
    Voice Dialing is huge for me. I wish the playback confirmation was clearer though. It's definitely a software issue though as my speakers are clear. The playback of the name is the only part that's horribly garbled.

It: "Say a Command"
    Me: "Call Jon Doe"
    It: "Did you say 'Garble Garble'?"
    Me: "Yes"
    It: "Calling"

Here is a work around for u.
    How about pressing and holding
    down the home screen. Bring up widget menu
    then u can create shortcuts for direct dialing
    for your contact. U can create a folder and drag
    those contacts in that folder
    11-07-09 08:47 AM
    Wow, I totally misunderstood what Voice Dialing was =P LMAO, or maybe not >_> I'm tired, it's late (relatively to waking up) and I can't form very coherent thoughts so maybe I understood but not able to comprehend it? Jesus, I'm confusing the **** out of myself.

Anyways, always sucks to not have a feature many other phones, smart or dumb, have. At least this can get updates and get it added at a later time.
    11-07-09 08:53 AM
    Here is a work around for u.
    How about pressing and holding
    down the home screen. Bring up widget menu
    then u can create shortcuts for direct dialing
    for your contact. U can create a folder and drag
    those contacts in that folder
    Yeah I don't think I'll be pressing down on my screen anytime soon.
    11-07-09 08:58 AM
    Problem solved with Google voice search unless you absolutely have to have your phone out of sight. Push voice search, say "Call Bob Mobile", phone starts calling Bob's mobile.
    11-07-09 09:01 AM
    Problem solved with Google voice search unless you absolutely have to have your phone out of sight. Push voice search, say "Call Bob Mobile", phone starts calling Bob's mobile.
    Note u have to speak into the phone
    11-07-09 09:04 AM
    I think that's pretty much the whole point of voice dialing with a bluetooth headset...well the whole hands-free thing at least.
    11-07-09 09:04 AM
    Yeah I don't think I'll be pressing down on my screen anytime soon.
    Press and hold it getnly...............
    Oy vey
    11-07-09 09:05 AM
    Press and hold it getnly...............
    Oy vey
    Yeah even gently.
    11-07-09 09:06 AM
    If BT dialing is a deal breaker then it is. If u like the phone u can work around it.
    Now why for the life of me they didn't put it in I don't know
    11-07-09 09:07 AM
    Wow, I totally misunderstood what Voice Dialing was =P LMAO, or maybe not >_> I'm tired, it's late (relatively to waking up) and I can't form very coherent thoughts so maybe I understood but not able to comprehend it? Jesus, I'm confusing the **** out of myself.

Anyways, always sucks to not have a feature many other phones, smart or dumb, have. At least this can get updates and get it added at a later time.
    Voice dialing is awesome. Especially when it works.
    11-07-09 09:08 AM
    If BT dialing is a deal breaker then it is. If u like the phone u can work around it.
    Now why for the life of me they didn't put it in I don't know
    Yeah workarounds suck though. That's why everyone's flocking from the BlackBerry to the Droid...remember?

BTW I don't even have a Droid. I have a Tour per my profile. That's why I won't be pressing down on my screen any time soon.
    11-07-09 09:09 AM
    Voice dialing is awesome. Especially when it works.
    If you enjoy looking like a giant tool :P

I always crack up when I see 'important businessmen' looking douches who seem way too uptight and self-righteous running around shouting commands at their phones. Especially if they have the greasy slicked back hair and are being rude to those around them.
    11-07-09 09:26 AM
    BT VD sucks anyways...lol
    "Call mom"
    "Did you say call tim"
    "Did you say call jim"
    "Did you say call fred"
    "Did you say call george"
    Never know how it comes up with what it comes up with...Maybe it's just my headset I dunno, it was expensive though.

why is this a problem, instead of using the headset, you use the phone. I realize it's not the most convenient situation but it's most certainly not the worst.
    11-07-09 09:27 AM
    Dude, let me show you how well the BT dialing works on my Storm.
    Oh wait, it just rebooted itself.
    5 minutes later...
    Ok, here we go. Damn, the screen froze. Ok, now it's working smooth as silk.
    See how awesome that was.

The Storm was a pile of ____, and there is no way the problems of the Droid compare at all to the problems that the Storm has and continues to have.
    11-07-09 09:30 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD