Verizon Reports Faster Speeds in 4G LTE Network Tests - Yahoo! News

So, another conundrum...

Buy one of the next 3G droids that come to VZW, or wait for 4G to come out - most likely in my neck of the woods - "later this year?"

03-08-10 11:35 PM
    ...crap...now this has me thinking too... and I was like 99.999% sure I was going to buy an Eris off contract too. Now I'm stuck
    03-09-10 01:07 AM
    If 3g is fast enough for you then do it. I'm using a nexus one on local carrier, speed is fine.
    03-09-10 01:24 PM
    It's hard for me to gauge whether 3G is fast enough. I use a BB, and we all know that Internet service on a BB is filtered by RIM, which I presume slows down the experience.

You have a good point, though. Will just have to test a N1 once it (or, IF it...) hits the VZW stores.
    03-09-10 01:28 PM
    I would say if you are stuck, just get the Droid. If 4G really makes a difference, then you can always upgrade next year if you are the primary line.
    03-09-10 02:04 PM
    Let me make is easy for you.

IT IS NOT 4G.

So dont bother.

LTE will be pre-4g for up to a decade. Why? Because of fiber optics that is why. Even though they can pass 50mbps they can not maintain that on the current system.

So you will see only a 500kbps increase, if that.

And you will have to deal with faulty, new, pre beta software/hardware.

And if that was not enough to make it a nightmare it is highly doubtful that any current/to be released phone can handle the data flow.

If you are a few months away from an upgrade, upgrade to the 3g phone.

Why?

Because 3g and lte are compatible. Which will mean a increase in speed in one will increase in speed to another.
    To a point.

Now in saying all that.

If you need the fastest speed possible for work, you need voip, and you can deal with the buggy software/hardware, and willing to be a beta tester. Then go for it.

Just understand that 3g will get faster over the next few years ( up to 14mbps up and 5mbps down, which is like 14x faster them most home internet connections). And LTE is only pre-4g, 3g connection with the possibility to upgrade.

It is pre-4g because the last LTE release does not fully comply with the IMT-Advanced requirements. (only can do 50mbps not 100mbps required by the imt advance, only wimax can do 100+mbps up.)

And the lte security, like 3g, is a joke.

They are using a protocol that can be broke by any highschooler and is like 25 years old.
    03-09-10 04:06 PM
    i'll have to take your word for it since i don't follow the wireless industry THAT closely. lol.

thanks for your opinions, darkfinder.
    03-09-10 05:03 PM
    Great post, Darkfinder; thanks.
    03-10-10 09:37 AM
    Wow 4G is faster than 3G. Who would have thunk it.
    03-10-10 01:03 PM
    Verizon has already tested their current LTE implementation and stated its around 6Mbps down and 3Mbps up. That's a lot faster than "a 500kbps increase".

Verizon has already started replacing T1 lines at cell sites with ethernet and fiiber. Just a matter of time before its done and LTE speeds go up again and again.....

To answer the original question though, upgrading now to a 3G smartphone shouldn't be a problem at all. If you're really worried, get a 1 year contract so you can upgrade in 10 months.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-10 02:38 PM
    Should be 4G available in 3rd quarter- sometime from a kid who says he knows a tech who was doing some work on it in the Boston area. Take this info for what its worth. Not much right now.

03-10-10 04:08 PM
    Verizon has already tested their current LTE implementation and stated its around 6Mbps down and 3Mbps up. That's a lot faster than "a 500kbps increase".
    Sigh,
    Alot faster then 3g?

Compared to 2G and 2.5G services, 3G allows simultaneous use of speech and data services and higher data rates (up to 14.0 Mbit/s on the downlink and 5.8 Mbit/s )
    Let me see here. Math....

Oh, a 6mpbs is not even half of the full use of 3g.

A lot less then 14.5mbps. I was saying that you would not see much more then 500kps more then theoretical 3g.

Add that to the fact that it will have to support all voice and data from verizon and att. And is very limited in bandwidth, you will not see 6Mbps in about 5-10 years. Everyone is going to need to lay fiber.

You can not make a cdma/gsm and lte phone. It has to be a cdma/gsm or lte. Because if you did, you would have a phone with 3 radios. A 3g radio, a cdma/gsm radio, and a lte radio.

If you do, you have to turn off on radio and turn on the other.

Now you can make a cdma/gsm/wimax phone.

Now Wimax has done a 126Mbps test. So still a long way to go.

But you can not compare lte to wimax. To different techs.
    03-10-10 05:33 PM
    Sigh,
    Alot faster then 3g?

Let me see here. Math....

Oh, a 6mpbs is not even half of the full use of 3g.

A lot less then 14.5mbps. I was saying that you would not see much more then 500kps more then theoretical 3g.

Add that to the fact that it will have to support all voice and data from verizon and att. And is very limited in bandwidth, you will not see 6Mbps in about 5-10 years. Everyone is going to need to lay fiber.

You can not make a cdma/gsm and lte phone. It has to be a cdma/gsm or lte. Because if you did, you would have a phone with 3 radios. A 3g radio, a cdma/gsm radio, and a lte radio.

If you do, you have to turn off on radio and turn on the other.

Now you can make a cdma/gsm/wimax phone.

Now Wimax has done a 126Mbps test. So still a long way to go.

But you can not compare lte to wimax. To different techs.
    You keep referring to 3g and 4g like it's an actual specification or specific thing, it isn't. It's not like USB 1.0, 2.0 etc. Sweeden already has people using LTE at 43 Mbps TeliaSonera's new LTE network astounds with 43Mbps downloads -- Engadget so yes, it's faster than 14.5 Mbps.

Why can't they make a phone with 3 radios? They already exist fyi. GSM/CDMA/WiFi plus bluetooth. So maybe a phone with 5 (GSM/CDMA/WiFi/LTE/Bluetooth) isn't such a stretch.
    03-11-10 12:06 AM
    Its not just 3g that makes a phone fast. It also has to do with the processor in the phone. I used a tour on sprint & its no where near as fast as the samsung moment. The moment has an 800 mghz processor where a blackberry is somewhere are 528. So I couldn't care less about 4g vs 3g sure 3g is a little faster then edge when on a gsm network but there's much more that goes into download speeds then just 3g, 4g or edge. And don't forget that if you have a 3g phone you won't be able to get 4g when available. Its just like when at&t started switching to 3g. The normal phones wouldn't pick up 3g coverage. And then you have to remember that there's 3g & 3g data. You can get great 3g signal (says your phone) but your data might not be 3g. Its things like this that most cell companies won't tell the consumer cause they want you to believe they can give you better then everyone else. So before you hold off cause you're waiting on a phone or before you run out & buy a phone cause of what the carrier tells you, do some homework before you put all your eggs in 1 basket.

03-11-10 12:37 AM
    Verizon promises first 4G handset for next summer, foretells end of unlimited data plans -- Engadget

The one bit of bogus news from Melone was the statement that contracts with "as much data as you can consume is the big issue that has to change." Verizon seems resolutely set on introducing some type of tiered or metered price plans, which is unfortunately the same path AT&T is headed down.
    I really hope this is a lie.
    03-11-10 09:22 AM
    You keep referring to 3g and 4g like it's an actual specification or specific thing, it isn't. It's not like USB 1.0, 2.0 etc. Sweeden already has people using LTE at 43 Mbps TeliaSonera's new LTE network astounds with 43Mbps downloads -- Engadget so yes, it's faster than 14.5 Mbps.

Why can't they make a phone with 3 radios? They already exist fyi. GSM/CDMA/WiFi plus bluetooth. So maybe a phone with 5 (GSM/CDMA/WiFi/LTE/Bluetooth) isn't such a stretch.

Ok, you have no clue what you are talking about. GSM/cdma phone only work with one turned on, one turned off.

That would be pointless in real world. How would you receive a call on the gsm if the radio was off?

Same goes with lte, the radio will have to turn off the cdma. Turn it off. To turn on lte. Which means that you would never receive any messages with the cdma, as long as the lte is on.

You can not, can not turn on both the gsm and cdma at the same time and have both send and receive phone calls. You can not.

So to answer your question, yes you can have more then 5 radios. But you cannot have cdma/gsm/lte on at the same time. You just cant.

You if you want to use lte you will use only lte. If you want to use cdma, kiss your 4g connection goodbye.

Ok not the next piece of dribble you put out is about 3g/4g they are marketing terms, REFERRING to
    International Mobile Telecommunications-2000 (IMT-2000)', better known as 3G or 3rd Generation, is a family of standards for mobile telecommunications defined by the International Telecommunication Union,[1] which includes GSM EDGE, UMTS, and CDMA2000
    4G to refer to IMT Advanced (International Mobile Telecommunications Advanced), as defined by ITU-R.
    Both of them are standards.

From now one, unless you actually do research before you come in here and act all big and bad, you are going to be treated as a troll.

I tried to be helpful, but you have not intention of trying to educate yourself.
    03-11-10 09:49 AM
    No, it is the truth. First is it is not unlimited now, it has a 5gb cap. Secondly. All voice, data, and sms with lte has to go through data. You can not make a cdma phone call and use lte at the same time. You can not receive a phone call and send data at the same time with lte.

With lte you have to use only data. Which mean that the money made from voice and sms, they can not charge you that money. The plan will only be for data.

So they have to get that money back somehow, so tiered pricing is the best way. They simply change the money from voice and sms, and add that price to data. They also have to limit the amount of data being used because the bandwidth is small and voice will now start to eat it up.

For example.
    3g
    60 dollars for voice
    10 dollars for sms
    30 dollars for data
    100 dollars a month( what ever you pay here) for 3g

4g
    0 dollars for voice (it is voip)
    0 dollars for sms ( it is smsip)
    100 dollars for data(lte)
    100 dollars a month-(with selected cap)

The actual price you play to use 5 gb will not change, but you will use 5gb quicker.

Starting to see why intel, google, and sprint went the other way?
    03-11-10 09:58 AM
    No, it is the truth. First is it is not unlimited now, it has a 5gb cap. Secondly. All voice, data, and sms with lte has to go through data. You can not make a cdma phone call and use lte at the same time. You can not receive a phone call and send data at the same time with lte.

With lte you have to use only data. Which mean that the money made from voice and sms, they can not charge you that money. The plan will only be for data.

So they have to get that money back somehow, so tiered pricing is the best way. They simply change the money from voice and sms, and add that price to data. They also have to limit the amount of data being used because the bandwidth is small and voice will now start to eat it up.

For example.
    3g
    60 dollars for voice
    10 dollars for sms
    30 dollars for data
    100 dollars a month( what ever you pay here) for 3g

4g
    0 dollars for voice (it is voip)
    0 dollars for sms ( it is smsip)
    100 dollars for data(lte)
    100 dollars a month-(with selected cap)

The actual price you play to use 5 gb will not change, but you will use 5gb quicker.

Starting to see why intel, google, and sprint went the other way?
    WiMax will be unlimited, have zero cap or metered data, and might also be included in your plan as 3G/4G for free. But hey, LTE is better just because the majority wants it. Bandwagon is pretty amazing sometimes.
    Last edited by Sinternet Jr.; 03-11-10 at 10:15 AM.
    03-11-10 10:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD