That is a smokin' device! Thanks for the beer can to phone ratio.....shows how pocket able a 4.3 large screen android device is!
    It's pocketable. A friend of mine has an HD2 and it fits well in his pocket. It may be a little large in height/width but it's very thin just like the EVO.
    05-28-10 12:50 PM
    That is a smokin' device! Thanks for the beer can to phone ratio.....shows how pocket able a 4.3 large screen android device is!
    must be a 40oz can to make the evo look similar sized. rumor is the evo is wide enough to serve as a sun visor in a pinch. i hear the evo is so wide that the mold seidio made for evo cases had an echo.

lol! just fooling with our android cousins.

can't deny that it's a nice phone, even if it is wide enough to have its own license plate. ok, that was my last one.
    05-28-10 01:21 PM
    LOL! I was biting on that for a minute BzB! Thanks fear my chickens for confirming that
    I must stop by sprint sometime: )
    05-28-10 01:42 PM
    Size isn't an issue, look at that monstrosity called the iMaxi.

It's wide and tall, but wait, it's sooooooo thin.
    05-28-10 02:40 PM
    Well I ran my BB 8330 for 6 months before I decided to ditch it.
    Had Treos before that.
    I now have my ancient Hero rooted, running a custom ROM and overclocked.
    There is no way I'm heading back to BB anytime soon.
    I use Swype, and it's faster than a real keyboard by far.
    05-28-10 02:41 PM
    About needing to kill apps, Andiamo's comments explain it very well. You don't need to kill apps to save memory because Android will do that for you, but you do need to kill some apps to save battery life - and that's exactly why I installed a 3rd party task killer. Everything I did on the Evo left a worry in the back of my head that I'm going to be left with a dead phone at the end of the day unless I exercised restraint while using the device. So I killed apps, I disabled radios that I didn't need, and I didn't browse the web or use apps as much as I would have otherwise.
    Once again, you don't need a task killer for this. You can do it yourself in the settings.

Who turns off their phone? I do. I turn it off at night and I turn it off during some meals and on some weekends. I know very well that my BB doesn't turn "off" after holding the power button and that it just goes in to standby. But the simple fact is that I can turn the BB "off" at night and it will wake me up in the morning. I don't have to change it to silent mode and I don't have to deal with any flashing LEDs or screens lighting up in the middle of the night - because it is "off".
    A simple answer to this is airplane mode. No need to change your settings, and you wont get "annoying LED flashing".

Also, why no comment on the GMAIL integration after you claim BB does it better? BB does nothing better with GMAIL. Google phones do EVERYTHING Google better. I still don't understand. It has to be user error.
    05-28-10 03:18 PM
    By the way, my comment about Android's built-in memory management doing a better job at dealing with memory also holds true for battery life. When apps are in the background they aren't using battery life (unless they're services that download data on an interval, but those usually aren't killed by a 3rd party task killer either). When you minimize an app and it's no longer in the foreground, the app enters the stopped state of the Android activity lifecycle, and it will not use any CPU cycles. There are a couple exceptions: some apps run services to allow them to keep doing stuff while they're minimized, such as Pandora, which keeps playing music even after you minimize it.

BlackBerry devices on the other hand do not have this app lifecycle model. There is no concept of started, stopped, or paused in the BlackBerry app environment... apps keep on doing their thing regardless of whether or not they are actually in use. They also don't receive events letting them know that the user has minimized the app... the developer must check for this manually.

This is why some poorly designed apps will quickly drain your battery if you forget to close them on BlackBerry, even if they don't appear to be doing anything (Opera Mini had this problem when I had my Storm, don't know if it still does) and also why BlackBerry devices slow down dramatically once you have too many apps open. The OS has very little automatic memory management so it will not kill apps on its own.

It's fine that you choose BlackBerry, that's great. I just needed to step in and clear up some oft-quoted misconceptions about my favorite platform, both to use and develop for.
    Last edited by Andiamo; 05-28-10 at 03:32 PM.
    05-28-10 03:26 PM
    Sorry I don't like mgd either lol just comparing size
    05-28-10 05:45 PM
    There should be an option to turn off the swipe to unlock especially seeing how the buttons don't awake the device.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

05-28-10 06:03 PM
    Can you transfer data via bluetooth like Berries?
    05-28-10 06:42 PM
    Can you transfer data via bluetooth like Berries?
    Yes. On a Mac, pair the phone and computer and then use Bluetooth File Exchange to browse to where you want to put a file and then "Send." If you are retrieving a file, hit "Get" instead.
    05-28-10 06:50 PM
    There should be an option to turn off the swipe to unlock especially seeing how the buttons don't awake the device.

No Lock v1.01 Application for Android | Productivity
    05-28-10 06:50 PM
    myLock for Android FAQ
    05-28-10 06:58 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD