I received my first batch of Nexus Ss last week. Got 120 pieces. after my controller spread them out to all my stores, there were a few left in the office. I tried one for a couple if days.
    Firstly, I've been in wireless for a long time. Secondly, I'm a gadget guy and I can appreciate all technologies and platforms.
    That being said-- I think the droid is a fantastic OS that's fun to use. I Also think the Samsung droids are very sexy and feel good in the hand. BUT, how can I take a phone seriously that I need to charge twice a day just to do very basic stuff? Not once have I ever even looked at my remaining power percentage on my BBs or on my ip4 for that matter. I just know they'll be good for the day with power to spare.
    I'm not bashing so save the flames. I'm just saying it's a shame they can't get their $hit together in the batt department cause they rock in most every other aspect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-11 09:18 PM
    That's why I came back to Blackberry, I know what you mean man. I wonder if there's any droids with a battery life that I can get through a normal day of normal usage?
    04-20-11 09:47 PM
    Try LTE. Before the last RUU release I probably charged the tb 3 times a day.
    04-20-11 09:48 PM
    Try LTE. Before the last RUU release I probably charged the tb 3 times a day.
    and you're better now? what kinda improvement?

04-20-11 09:52 PM
    It sucks less now, still not good. Think I'm gonna end up getting the extended battery

Id say sub moderate use now is only have to charge twice. Light use I can make it through most of the day. Previously I couldn't make it through the day no matter what
    04-20-11 10:12 PM
    I think the Android is a fantastic OS.

Just saying.
    04-20-11 10:28 PM
    That's why I came back to Blackberry, I know what you mean man. I wonder if there's any droids with a battery life that I can get through a normal day of normal usage?
    If by droids you're referring to androids..then yes..there are many. The thing is most of these phones aren't configured out of the box for battery life. I'd say the majority of experienced android users know the tips and tricks to get the maximum from the battery.

And before you say "well BB's get great life out of the box" I'll remind you that screen size..processors..and resolution do make a difference. The iphone is also a different beast mainly because they don't have widgets or flash.

I've set up two of my own personal androids now (one htc, one moto ) and both out of the box had syncing and social feeds updating at ridiculous intervals..not to mention Google always asks you for location monitoring thus throwing gps on as well. Widgets that are constantly syncing like crazy will be huge drains..and believe me..sometimes its very easy to overlook something that is constantly background updating.

Also web browsing with flash capabilities will suck the life out of the battery. Is it a pita to have to go thru things with a fine tooth comb upon activation? It can be..but once its done you can usually enjoy great battery life as well as a great device.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-21-11 01:44 AM
    Rick, you're right about being able to improve it by optimizing stuff. Problem is-- even after you optimize it to the point where it's almost no longer a smartphone, it's still sub par (batt time- not the phone as a whole) to apple and bb.
    What I was saying is that it'll be awesome when their phones get decent batt times... cause they WILL eventually. And they DON'T now.

04-21-11 06:04 AM
    That's the thing - for example, Android supports Flash, and that's a draw, so if I disable Flash I'm disabling the thing that drew me there to begin with. Ditto for social feeds, they stop being a feed if you have to turn them off and go get them.
    I'm still not getting more than 13 hours during the week on my Atrix. It still hasn't seen me through 24 hours, not even on WiFi.
    I'm experiencing first hand the "keep an eye on the battery" thing, and it's a pain. Speaking strictly for myself, it's a disappointment, especially when there were people saying they got 24 hours out of a charge.

04-21-11 06:57 AM
    That's too bad Q..im getting awesome battery life now. Heck..yesterday I got 15 hours out of it and that was with over 3 hours of web browsing alone on it and included me having to re-download a whole bunch of my apps due to my *ahem* stupidity and doing a factory reset. My battery wasn't good to start..but it sure is now.

Anyways my point to Ted was that most experienced users CAN and DO get great battery life from their phones. Sure..they're not gonna go three days off a charge with heavy use..but I can guarantee you I could go 2 full days with light browser useage and only emails and instant messaging going on (with the odd phone call).
    04-21-11 07:08 AM
    I was going to try and exchangs it today thinking that maybe I have a bad one and I can't find my store receipt!!! I don't even remember if it's been 30 days!!!

***Edit***

Rick - since this morning -

Used each phone one hour on the train as a means to test them. I just checked and wrote down the following:

Torch -

Since start up - 12 hours 18 minutes - average discharge rate 2.3% - 78% remaining

Atrix -

Since start up - 10 hours 58 min - 30% remaining

Display - 35%
    Browser 28%
    Phone idle - 15%
    Cell Standby - 7%
    Android System - 5%
    Android OS - 4%
    com.android.phone - 4%
    WiFi - 2%

If I use the Atrix at all on the way home it won't last. I still have an hour at work.

This is my experience with the battery. I wish it would last longer. This is what I saw with my team member when we were in L.A. and he kept looking for a power source, his phone would not have lasted the day. I had a lot of people tell me (not you!) I was lying or exaggerating....well, it was neither. These are the actual numbers.

I really wish this weren't so. I can't use this phone as my primary device.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 04-21-11 at 03:00 PM.
    04-21-11 07:38 AM
    And the battery on the Atrix is now at 10% so I turned it off; I still have an hour before I get home. Today it lasted just under 13 hours. The Torch is at 68%.

04-21-11 04:44 PM
    I was going to try and exchangs it today thinking that maybe I have a bad one and I can't find my store receipt!!! I don't even remember if it's been 30 days!!!

***Edit***

Rick - since this morning -

Used each phone one hour on the train as a means to test them. I just checked and wrote down the following:

Torch -

Since start up - 12 hours 18 minutes - average discharge rate 2.3% - 78% remaining

Atrix -

Since start up - 10 hours 58 min - 30% remaining

Display - 35%
    Browser 28%
    Phone idle - 15%
    Cell Standby - 7%
    Android System - 5%
    Android OS - 4%
    com.android.phone - 4%
    WiFi - 2%

If I use the Atrix at all on the way home it won't last. I still have an hour at work.

This is my experience with the battery. I wish it would last longer. This is what I saw with my team member when we were in L.A. and he kept looking for a power source, his phone would not have lasted the day. I had a lot of people tell me (not you!) I was lying or exaggerating....well, it was neither. These are the actual numbers.

I really wish this weren't so. I can't use this phone as my primary device.
    How long was the display on? The first thing that jumps out at me is the consumption of your browser; I've never had it anywhere *near* the top of my battery usage list, though I'm not really a heavy user of the browser during the day. Some phones will react differently to different usage patterns; for what I use it for, my Atrix gets better battery life than my old Bold 9000, but others might find the exact opposite to be true.

I'm not doubting your results at all, but it does seem unusual. Anandtech does pretty detailed battery life tests, and for every relevant test (3g browsing, Wifi browsing, 3g talk time) the Atrix bested out the Torch, in some cases substantially so.
    04-21-11 04:48 PM
    It sucks less now, still not good. Think I'm gonna end up getting the extended battery

Id say sub moderate use now is only have to charge twice. Light use I can make it through most of the day. Previously I couldn't make it through the day no matter what
    That ****ty with light use? LOL.. I would have returned it already. If I can barely use a device without having to worry about it going dead, what's the point?
    04-21-11 05:02 PM
    How long was the display on? The first thing that jumps out at me is the consumption of your browser; I've never had it anywhere *near* the top of my battery usage list, though I'm not really a heavy user of the browser during the day. Some phones will react differently to different usage patterns; for what I use it for, my Atrix gets better battery life than my old Bold 9000, but others might find the exact opposite to be true.

I'm not doubting your results at all, but it does seem unusual. Anandtech does pretty detailed battery life tests, and for every relevant test (3g browsing, Wifi browsing, 3g talk time) the Atrix bested out the Torch, in some cases substantially so.
    I used both the Torch and the Atrix one hour each this morning. I live way out in the back of beyond in extreme NorthWest Virginia....roundabout Winchester, VA. So I take the train. It ends up being about two hours between train and Metro.
    I've read the Anandtech reports. All I can say is these were my numbers, and battery life has been right 'bout 13 hours on weekdays.
    I've turned off Twitter, Facebook is on. Brightness is at 20%. Timeout is at a minute. Custom "sleep" is at 8:00 pm to 5 am.

04-21-11 05:17 PM
    Oh, I think the browser being so high is as a result of the lag. When I try to go to a site it very often sits there....little circle spinning...and yes, I routinely clean memory.

04-21-11 05:21 PM
    And the battery on the Atrix is now at 10% so I turned it off; I still have an hour before I get home. Today it lasted just under 13 hours. The Torch is at 68%.

Why keep the Atrix?? Sell it for the Torch 2 when it drops. With the new specs on the upcoming bb's is it worth carrying 2 phones?
    04-21-11 06:31 PM
    That ****ty with light use? LOL.. I would have returned it already. If I can barely use a device without having to worry about it going dead, what's the point?
    Agreed but he's probably close to his 15 days. I'd return it to
    04-21-11 06:34 PM
    Why keep the Atrix?? Sell it for the Torch 2 when it drops. With the new specs on the upcoming bb's is it worth carrying 2 phones?
    I'm a bit of a geek. I collect devices the way most women collect shoes! I'll keep the device *and* get the Torch 2 when it drops.
    I have a real phone addiction.
    04-21-11 08:35 PM
    I'm a bit of a geek. I collect devices the way most women collect shoes! I'll keep the device *and* get the Torch 2 when it drops.
    I have a real phone addiction.
    i'm quite similar, been looking for something new since android has caught my eye again with all the new phones coming out, (G2x, Samsung GS2), i could buy a nexus S for about $350-ish - $400, but with all this bad battery talk, makes me wonder if the nexus S is a bad choice?
    04-29-11 12:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD