• Yes! It's a toy... a cool one

17 22.67%
  • No! only iPhones are toys

6 8.00%
  • It's both a toy and for serious smartphone users

33 44.00%
  • Who cares!? This thing is awesome!

19 25.33%
    One thing I have learned in this lifetime is to never say never.........
    As I have said before; as far as the iphone goes. It's one against many.
    In time it will succumb; also the first week of sales may be closer to
    400,000 than 100,000.
    Does the thing have problems yes minor compared to the S1 on initial
    release.
    Personally for me this phone is the best phone I have ever had.
    Ok everyone mentions the HD2 the Xperia; they are all good phones.
    But what we have here right now is the Moto Droid.
    Is the Moto rockin right now?
    Ummmmmmmmm yep
    Is the Moto making Iphone users take a second look
    unlike S1/S2?
    U betcha so with all the debate and speculation.
    Like they say in sports; scoreboard baby.....
    No go; go and search find numbers that say
    the Moto Droid sales suck; go ahead.
    Lets base it on fact.
    Also go go and find where more Droid owners
    are more disappointed than satisfied.
    Because speculation is baseless without hard numbers.
    Like I said scoreboard.
    Also what does it matter to anyone that the purchasers
    of said device are happy about the device of their choice.
    If someone comes from another device saying my new purchase
    is better than my old one. It is their truth; and more people are
    from what I am reading are more pleased with their new Moto
    than their old whatever............
    I don't know why you quoted my post, then posted what you did. I never said its not selling. I never said Droid owners are dissatisfied with their device, I am completely lost in what you just posted. If you are alluding to the fact that the proof is in the pudding as far as sales numbers go, then yes, Iphone is still outselling the Droid, and its not particularly close right now. Now the one against many you mention means what? It means nothing. When the Iphone comes to Verizon, it will be their most popular phone by a mile.
    11-15-09 02:17 PM
    People need to leave Cereal Killer alone. There's nothing wrong with being a fanboi...just show how much he loves his phone. Don't we all? With that said, all phone and gadgets are toys.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    correct I'm a fanboy of EXCELLENT products i.e. iPhone, Droid, Confederate Motorcycles, Pitbulls and Dodge Challengers.....

I know EXCELLENT product when I see it : )

I'll glady wear the fanboy badge and make no bones about it.....
    11-15-09 02:58 PM
    who said all phones would be a joke? Never came out of my mouth....

and no the iPhone is not being overshadowed by other devices. No idea where you come up with these things.

With that said, no they do not do this will ALL their new devices. This is the first device they have ever did this with. Read up a little. You think from this point on they will throw this much money at it? No they will not. Will they market new and existing devices? Ofcourse they will.

Bottom line is they are planning for it to be their flagship device. Put 2 and 2 together.....
    Of course the iphone is being overshadowed. Its the way technology works. New, better product therefore the sales will go down for the iphone. Its really simple math. If you have been a long time verizon customer you would know that they have in fact overhyped devices in the past. This is NOT the first phone to get this kind of advertising. And those new devices that come out will of course push the droid back down. Its how things work in electronics. You really need to think before you fill these forums will false information. Of course there goign to sell the crap out of it. Why wouldnt they? Your just being ignorant if you think the new devices that come out are not going to be as good or better.
    11-15-09 03:17 PM
    Of course the iphone is being overshadowed. Its the way technology works. New, better product therefore the sales will go down for the iphone. Its really simple math. If you have been a long time verizon customer you would know that they have in fact overhyped devices in the past. This is NOT the first phone to get this kind of advertising. And those new devices that come out will of course push the droid back down. Its how things work in electronics. You really need to think before you fill these forums will false information. Of course there goign to sell the crap out of it. Why wouldnt they? Your just being ignorant if you think the new devices that come out are not going to be as good or better.
    The iPhone is NOT being overshadowed dude. Where the heck do you get that from? The iPhone has set the bar and EVERYBODY is still chasing it.

Secondly, yes it is the first time in VZW's history they have spent this kind of money. From Reuters:

The leading U.S. mobile provider said it will promote the device with its biggest marketing campaign ever

*full page article here*

and yet another source:

Verizon's droid is pitching itself as the anti-iPhone, and nowhere is that more evident than in the look and feel of its campaign -- a blanket push you won't be able to escape.

The integrated campaign, the largest in Verizon history, will receive an estimated $100 million in support, most of it spent before the end of the year. Within it, the new phone is touted as the robotic do-it-all antidote to the Apple handset's shortcomings.

*full article here*

I never said that the new devices will not be good. I'm saying that the Droid (future iterations) will be the device VZW will hang their hat on for years. At least that's what they are attempting to do. With Google, Motorola and VZW behind it it just MAY happen.

They are looking to unseat the iPhone it's not a secret for crying out loud.

Don't be so sure it can't be done neither. It could happen, not saying it will but anybody that claims it will not is full of shiat and vice versa. It will play itself out in the next couple of years. But bet your arse the Droid (future iterations) is the device that will be pushed to overtake the iPhone.
    11-15-09 03:57 PM
    The iPhone is NOT being overshadowed dude. Where the heck do you get that from? The iPhone has set the bar and EVERYBODY is still chasing it.

Secondly, yes it is the first time in VZW's history they have spent this kind of money. From Reuters:

The leading U.S. mobile provider said it will promote the device with its biggest marketing campaign ever

*full page article here*

and yet another source:

Verizon's droid is pitching itself as the anti-iPhone, and nowhere is that more evident than in the look and feel of its campaign -- a blanket push you won't be able to escape.

The integrated campaign, the largest in Verizon history, will receive an estimated $100 million in support, most of it spent before the end of the year. Within it, the new phone is touted as the robotic do-it-all antidote to the Apple handset's shortcomings.

*full article here*

I never said that the new devices will not be good. I'm saying that the Droid (future iterations) will be the device VZW will hang their hat on for years. At least that's what they are attempting to do. With Google, Motorola and VZW behind it it just MAY happen.

They are looking to unseat the iPhone it's not a secret for crying out loud.

Don't be so sure it can't be done neither. It could happen, not saying it will but anybody that claims it will not is full of shiat and vice versa. It will play itself out in the next couple of years. But bet your arse the Droid (future iterations) is the device that will be pushed to overtake the iPhone.
    so you dont think the newer devices that are coming are going to affect the Iphone sales?

The droid marketing campaign might be the largest ever but that doesnt mean verizon has never pushed another device this much. Sure verizon spent allot of money to get the droid message out but who knows how much they have spent on past market pushes of devices. If might not be as large of an amount as the droid but it sure wasnt pennies.
    11-15-09 04:06 PM
    Guys and gals, Branta, in a gentlemanly way asked that you all discuss the topic
    and not each other.

I am not nearly the gentleman Branta is. This is thread warning #2. Proceed with
    caution.
    11-15-09 04:10 PM
    I cant remember them pushing anything this hard since I've been a customer of theirs
    11-15-09 04:20 PM
    I cant remember them pushing anything this hard since I've been a customer of theirs
    nobody can...because they havent
    11-15-09 04:23 PM
    so im sure they only spent 100 bucks to push this right

Motorola RAZR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    11-15-09 04:36 PM
    Didn't the articles specifically say this is the largest amount of money they've spent on a device, and this is their largest marketing campaign ever?

You pretty much contradicted yourself by saying, "This is the largest campaign ever, but they've pushed other devices this much before..." That doesn't make sense.
    11-15-09 04:39 PM
    no, what I meant was they might have spent more money on the droid push but that doesnt always equate into more advertising and push. .
    dude call me stupid but wth are you saying here?

did they spend it on banquets? vacations for motorola employees?

Help me understand this....
    11-15-09 04:51 PM
    Are you a RIM employee? It seems to me that every chance you get you try to put anything non BB down? What's up with that?
    I could of sworn we were suppose to be debating the topic and not the individuals
    11-15-09 05:03 PM

I dont have the numbers. Do you?

what I meant was they might have spent more money on the droid push but that doesnt always equate into more advertising and push

Lets break it down...

They spent more money on marketing and advertising the Droid but it didn't equate to more marketing and advertising dollars for the Droid.

How does that work?
    11-15-09 05:15 PM
    so to stay on topic.

Yes the droid is more of a toy but I couldnt select that option in the poll because the results might actually shock you to hear the truth.
    Last edited by paulwright1; 11-15-09 at 06:16 PM.
    11-15-09 05:53 PM
    No, it's not. Just because it's more multimedia capable than your S2 does not make it a toy.
    11-15-09 05:58 PM
    so to stay on topic.

Yes the droid is more of a toy.
    Nah the S2 wishes it were the Moto Droid
    11-15-09 06:09 PM
    Sorry you took it the wrong way but reading all your posts you do make it real personal sometimes. I am not sure if you do not like or agree that the Droid is a better phone, and specs don't like, why you keep posting and talking the Droid down. I am not sure I understand that. You have made your point so what is the debate? You think it is a toy so be it. Now as for myself, I do not thing either the S1 or S2 are toys and if somebody likes either one, more power to them. But, they are not in the same league as the Droid.

I could of sworn we were suppose to be debating the topic and not the individuals
    11-15-09 06:15 PM
    and specs don't lie.
    so go ahead and post the specs for both devices.
    11-15-09 06:27 PM
    Droid: Android 2.0

S2: Stale, old, Blackberry OS

That's all that needs to be said.
    11-15-09 06:30 PM
    Droid: Android 2.0

S2: Stale, old, Blackberry OS

That's all that needs to be said.
    and thats your opinion
    Last edited by paulwright1; 11-15-09 at 07:02 PM.
    11-15-09 06:42 PM
    NONE of these phones are "toys" when it comes to being one's lifeline in an emergency!!!!! I am soooo tired of this debate. Above and beyond what each phone can do or can't do as far as media, apps, email, etc...pales when it is used to call for HELP!!!! THAT is when you want a phone that is on a carrier with good network coverage, and one with enough battery life to make that one important phone call to get someone to help you fast! Indeed, then, they are NOT "toys", in this sense.

As much as I fiddle around with my phones, adding wallpapers, themes, scenes, new stuff...I never lose sight of the fact that when I am out and away from home, that my phone is my safety net.
    11-15-09 06:53 PM
    I played around with both the Storm 2 and Droid this past Friday and got a significant impression from both of them. The Storm2's screen is gorgeous and the hardware feels very solid and polished. I really don't like the screen clicking though. I much prefer an iPhone-type screen. The OS was adequate. The device I used was to glitched to the high heavens (wasn't even usable), but I was able to get to the keyboard, which I hated.

The Droid was bigger than I thought, which isn't really a bad thing. The keyboard did suck, which I expected it to be. I might be able to adjust to in the long-run, but I sure as **** won't let a keyboard be the reason to stick with BlackBerries. Screen was gorgeous and so was the OS. The browser was absolutely amazing. I could switch to this device solely for the browser, it's that good. I also tested Google Maps, which qas incredibly smooth and responsive. Typing on the screen was a problem for me, so I would almost always resort to the slide-out keyboard. Either way, I hated the on-screen keyboards on both devices. I think I've been spoiled with my Tour's keyboard, but like I said, I'm not sticking with a BlackBerry just because of the keyboard.

Overall, both devices seemed to be very solid. If I was going in for an upgrade as a first-time smartphone user with no prior knowledge of each device, I would definitely go with the Droid. If I was eligible for an upgrade right now, I would probably go with the Droid on a one-year contract and hope they fix the keyboard in future hardware releases. I should also note that during my time with both devices (roughly 10-15 minutes), at least five customers came in asking for the Droid.
    Last edited by jorGeorge; 11-15-09 at 07:01 PM.
    11-15-09 06:58 PM
    Folks,

Ok I deleted 6 more posts, plus AG deleted 1 more. You were warned by Branta, then by AG, and now strike 3 topic closed! Debate the phones, the manufacturers, or the carriers, but DON'T ATTACK EACH OTHER!

...... from our Posting Rules & Guidelines.....

Post in the Right Forum
    We’ve done our best to layout the forum categories so they are logical and make sense. When you are creating a new thread, do your best to get it in the right category. We want these forums to be value added and educational. The General CrackBerry Discussion and General RIM/BlackBerry Discussion are good places to post if you have a serious question but are not quite sure where to put it. These forums are less stringently moderated, while specific forums (BlackBerry 8700 Series for example) are more strictly moderated to maintain their quality and usefulness.

And of course, we also have the Off-Topic Discussion forum. This is the place on the site to have fun and talk about whatever. From sports to the weather to what to buy your girlfriend for her birthday (buying her a new blackberry is always a good thing), anything goes in here. Just remember to keep it clean, keep it productive and keep it legal!

Make Meaningful Posts
    While CrackBerry.com is geared as much towards entertaining and connecting the Crackberry community as it is to helping solve problems and staying on top of news and rumors, all posts made within the site should be value added and on topic to the thread (even in the free for all). Hijacking a thread off-topic is a big No-No, and posts made for no reason other than to increase post count will be wiped from the site.

Personal Attacks
    Do not flame, insult or post personal attacks against other users. Be courteous, not rude. Any instances or reports of harassment of members will be treated seriously. CrackBerry.com has a zero tolerance policy against this kind of behavior, which may result with an immediate temporary or permanent ban at moderators' discretion. CrackBerry.com is a friendly place - treat members with respect at all times. If you don't have something nice to say, do not say it!

Reporting a bad post
    There is a "Report bad post" button on the top right side of each post (red/white triangle) or you can send a PM to a moderator.
    11-15-09 07:04 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD