I was heavily considering upgrading my beloved Curve 8330 to a nice Droid phone, but now I'm leaning towards getting the VZW iPhone when it drops Thursday (pre-order). Call it media hype or bandwagoning, but I'm intrigued by the fact that there are less models and OS versions and that apps and everything in general is more streamlined. "Less is more" philosophy. I understand that Droid gives you more freedom and more options because of all the different models, UIs, hackability, ROMs etc.

This gets me thinking....do you think that having too many models, OS's, updates, manufacturers, UIs can be a bad thing for Android? I'm assuming that not all apps work properly on all models since there are so many models/screen sizes/features. Having so many models coming out so often seems like it can also hinder the progression of the Android OS. Seems like the Android community might become too fragmented down the road.

Anybody else feel the same way?
    02-01-11 01:27 PM
    I think the more out there provides more opportunities for customization and user needs.

iPhones really lock you in a corner of doing whatever Steve Job allows you to do.
    John Yester likes this.
    02-01-11 01:33 PM
    I think the "hackability" is what some people want. For those that don't care for that, there are phones Android and iPhone that serve those people.

One OS (the one that the carriers support/update), is something most people deal with when they do not Jailbreak or hack their phones. Different models and manufacturer of phones, gives people variety in the things they like about the maker of the phones. So no one phone made by someone else is ever going to be "better" if you don't plan to move to a carrier that supports that phone.

Some people are willing to spend their money with PC's and others Linux, Apple etc. Pretty much the same with cell phones. As long as the manufacturers of the phones don't mind making and selling 4+ models of any platform, then so be it. The marketplace will sort out what sells and where they direct their money later.

But remember, HUMANS are fickle, and will buy what they want, otherwise if any one platform was "truly the best", there would of course only be one platform.

Personally, I'm pretty happy there are choices out there.
    02-01-11 01:42 PM
    Does anyone ever see Google trying to improve fragmentation?

Here's a great discussion of this on Android Central!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-11 05:09 PM
    Its not so much an issue of Android being "fragmented" as it is the individual handset makers trying to put their own spin on Android.

Google has already released Gingerbread on their flagship Nexus devices, but Moto, HTC, Samsung, and LG have to rewrite their proprietary UIs to be compatible with the latest release of Android. They are always two steps behind because once they get their updates out, Google has already released the next update and is working on its successor.

If you want a pure Android experience get a Nexus device, you will see a very similar experience to the iPhone in terms of updates and cohesion.
    Blkbear likes this.
    02-01-11 05:30 PM
    Or you can load a custom vanilla ROM, for that experience, right? I'm still new to Android.

02-01-11 05:48 PM
    Its not so much an issue of Android being "fragmented" as it is the individual handset makers trying to put their own spin on Android.

Google has already released Gingerbread on their flagship Nexus devices, but Moto, HTC, Samsung, and LG have to rewrite their proprietary UIs to be compatible with the latest release of Android. They are always two steps behind because once they get their updates out, Google has already released the next update and is working on its successor.

If you want a pure Android experience get a Nexus device, you will see a very similar experience to the iPhone in terms of updates and cohesion.
    Perfect post......
    02-01-11 05:49 PM
    Or you can load a custom vanilla ROM, for that experience, right? I'm still new to Android.

Another perfect post.
    Great, now I have nothing to say
    02-01-11 05:50 PM

You can. You are just getting a ROM and updates from a developer as opposed to straight from Google.
    02-01-11 06:05 PM
    Here’s a question.
    Ignoring the number of manufacturers, has fragmentation hurt the BlackBerry market?
    You know different OS, form factor, etc???
    Except for the manufacturer angle the BB market has fragmentation also.
    Torch, Bold, Storm, Flip.....
    02-01-11 06:48 PM
    I love it when people call it fragmentation! If Jobs called it catabolism software, then it would be catabolic, ha ha. Yeah, Android is so ******* fragged it has no chance, just set back and watch it die...I predict one year we wont even know what Android is because of how bad fragmentation is......(the rest of us know/see clearer) I hope Jobs get well. I wonder how much money that guy would pay to be healthy? (Get well Jobs)
    BayouBengal21 likes this.
    02-01-11 06:54 PM
    In my opinion you could make the same "fragmentation" case with Blackberry. I had a 9630 shortly after release with 4.0. I was happy to install 5.0 as soon as it leaked and never looked back. A long time later verizon made it "official." Same with the 9650, I loaded 6.0 as soon as it leaked. In fact I was loading hybrids the whole time.

I marveled while reading the forums at people asking if it is worth it or not. It lead me to think there are 3 type of phone owners.

1. Those that are happy with whatever the manufacture / carrier gives them. Possibly not knowing any different.
    2. Those that read all about the perks of newer software but don't or can't upgrade for whatever there reason. Be it warranty or skill set.
    3. Those that will install a non factory os, leaks, custom rom's or whatever you want call it.

I find myself in category 3 and probably always will. In my test run away from Blackberry I am running an original droid. It was rooted and running a custom rom on day 2. To each there own however. I personally feel that fragmentation in software AND hardware helps everyone in the long run.

AdamT.
    02-01-11 07:05 PM
    Yep... it is not true fragmentation... unless you go by Stevie's definition.

To OP: nothing wrong with preferring an OS or a device. I think the iPhone might be a better fit.
    02-01-11 10:18 PM
    I suppose Steve would have consider the PC market and extreme form of fragmentation. It's just one man's opinion.

Johnly, sadly I have a feeling he's paying whatever he can, just to keep ahead of whatever is ailing him. And I'm sure his drive to push his company and his personal limits, have taken a pretty hefty toll on his body.

I think Woz was lucky to get out and have a life that he wanted when he did.
    02-02-11 02:36 AM
    If there is any fragmentation of OS, it's with Blackberry. There are devices that are still running OS 4.5+, OS 5.0, OS 6.0, and soon OS 6.1. That my friends it's true fragmentation.
    02-02-11 01:21 PM
    If there is any fragmentation of OS, it's with Blackberry. There are devices that are still running OS 4.5+, OS 5.0, OS 6.0, and soon OS 6.1. That my friends it's true fragmentation.
    I guess i never thought of that in such way, very true. For one manufacturer it is quite fragmented i guess. OS updates is probably one of the best things the iphone has. I wish and i hope Android carrying phone manufacturers become more proactive in upgrading OS when google releases the updates.
    02-02-11 02:43 PM
    I think the fragmentation with Android is not as bad as some people have made it sound. I think it comes more from devices that could run 2.3 that are still on 2.1 (and still waiting for 2.2). If there was more of an effort to bring devices up to one OS, it would help.

BlackBerry is definitely a lot more fragmented. Not only are there devices running 4.5, 4.6, 4.7, 5.0, 6.0, you have to account for the different CDMA/GSM varieties and screen resolutions. Plus, developers may have to take into account touch-screen and non-touch versions. Some apps that work on non-touch screen devices had to be changed to handle Storm devices, and so on. How many times does an app come out and people report it not working on Storms?

iPhone definitely makes it a lot easier on developers. One OS (for the most part), one set of devices (iPhone, iTouch...). One portal. One approval system. No variety....
    02-02-11 03:37 PM
    I prefer the wide variety of devices I can choose from on Android. If it's tougher on developers, so be it. That's why they can sell apps for a fee. I'm a consumer and want choices. Doesn't matter, soon enough Android will be smart enough to adapt itself to the hardware it's installed on, like Windows or Linux on a desktop pc. Running a 4.3 super amoled? No problem, it will adjust in settings. Running a 3.2 wvga? No sweat. 1.2 dual processors or 600mhz single core? Won't matter.
    K Bear likes this.
    02-02-11 04:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD