02-25-11 10:03 PM
    The problem is that the phone batteries aren't keeping up with the latest phone technology. We still have basically the same batteries we had years ago.

These new devices are like Ferrari's, high performance and low mileage.

The person that creates a super cell battery for these devices is going to be a very wealthy person.
    02-25-11 10:27 PM
    Yea battery tech needs to advance. Although, HTC isn't known for great battery life. I'm sure it will be a great device once things are sorted out. XDA will be all over this as well most likely.
    02-25-11 11:17 PM
    Or most likely, another false rumor...

There's been quite a few of those concerning the TB release! I suppose one of them must be correct.

Battery
    LTE handoff issue
    Camera
    Too close to iPhone launch
    Skype issue
    Winter storm shipping delay

List goes on...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by chrisy520; 02-26-11 at 05:02 AM.
    02-26-11 04:58 AM
    CX tweeted last night "Don't people know LTE is a helluva battery killer??? All this complaining about the Thunderbolt. That's just LTE. Patience."

I agree though..battery tech is really holding cellphone tech back right now. Nobody wants to be plugged in 24/7..and most people want a reasonable amount of hours in a day on a charge.
    02-26-11 09:21 AM
    By the time it comes out,its gonna b 2mths old.Come on bionic!!!

02-26-11 11:26 AM
    HTC has never produced a smartphone that has good battery life.

02-26-11 10:40 PM
    Yup. I'm planning on extended battery Day 1 of ownership.

But I'll tell ya, I'll gladly sacrifice some battery life for better internet and a huge screen!

02-27-11 06:47 AM
    I wonder how bad is bad battery life? They just need to release the phone. I'm not even on Verizon and can't wait to see it.
    02-27-11 08:57 AM
    I wonder how bad is bad battery life? They just need to release the phone. I'm not even on Verizon and can't wait to see it.
    Rumor is 3 to 4 hours. Based on the latest rumor I can see this. LTE radios are first gen, plus the the phone needs to have both LTE and CDMA running at the same time because they won't support VoLTE and have use CMDA for voice. So you basically are running two phones with one screen at the same time. Should battery tech increase? Yes. But you can't blame battery on this alone. Something should be designed based on the constraints of what is available for when it will be released, and battery technology is what it is.
    02-27-11 09:41 AM
    HTC has never produced a smartphone that has good battery life.
    MyTouch 4G is pretty decent. I typically get about 12 hours with moderate use.
    02-27-11 09:52 AM
    Rumor is 3 to 4 hours. Based on the latest rumor I can see this. LTE radios are first gen, plus the the phone needs to have both LTE and CDMA running at the same time because they won't support VoLTE and have use CMDA for voice. So you basically are running two phones with one screen at the same time. Should battery tech increase? Yes. But you can't blame battery on this alone. Something should be designed based on the constraints of what is available for when it will be released, and battery technology is what it is.
    3-4 hours! That is bad. I haven't read into LTE at all but you learn something new everyday.
    02-27-11 09:56 AM
    Yup. I'm planning on extended battery Day 1 of ownership.

But I'll tell ya, I'll gladly sacrifice some battery life for better internet and a huge screen!

Then this phone/ other phones with 6 hours of battery fit your NEED.
    On the other hand, there's john/jane who travels a lot, or who's constantly in meeting and being inundanted with emails and calls from clients. He/She then NEEDs a phone that will last him/her for more than 8 hours.
    That's why there's no ONE phone to rule them all.

02-27-11 10:12 AM
    On the other hand, there's john/jane who travels a lot, or who's constantly in meeting and being inundanted with emails and calls from clients. He/She then NEEDs a phone that will last him/her for more than 8 hours.

OK....so if someone REALLY WANTS that particular phone, they can buy two extended batteries. that should get them through a work day (I mean, geez, I'd HOPE that 2 batteries would suffice). Please don't mention that extra batteries cost more--anyone who can afford cell phone service of more than a grand a year can certainly afford to buy extra batteries.
    02-27-11 10:39 AM
    If there was..i'm sure J.R.R. Tolkien would've written a story about it

I don't think in this case it's Android system that's making for the poor battery life..but LTE in general. Being an HTC product might not be helping the matter..but i'm sure if they can get the battery life up to minimum 6 hrs on LTE..then people will be able to customize it for prolonged battery.

I wonder if it HAS to run LTE or if it can in fact be "turned off" and only set to run 2G/3G like most phones now. Keep in mind LTE only affects download/upload speeds (correct me if i'm wrong)..which may be a big deal to some..but for right now..I think most people are fine with 3G. Once LTE tech gets better..at least people who have the LTE capable phones will have the option to use it if they have a phone LTE capable.
    02-27-11 10:41 AM
    This is the same as as an EVO on 4G basically. Its not something to worry about. If you dont need extra speed then just shut the LTE/4G radio off and use the 3G. Its no surprise it gets bad battery when pulling in data at 7-10 mbps lol. On 3G the phone will last all day without issue im sure. just the same as the evo and incredible and other phones. I dont have LTE available to me yet so i wont have the LTE on but the phone is still great and cant wait to get it.

The bionic isnt going to be much better on LTE either.

LTE will be great for people to tether the and get those speeds
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-27-11 10:45 AM

Um, yeah. I was talking about me. I don't care who gets what phone!

My plan is extended battery with new battery door!

My BlackBerry needs charged twice a day so I'm used to that.

02-27-11 10:46 AM
    If there was..i'm sure J.R.R. Tolkien would've written a story about it

I don't think in this case it's Android system that's making for the poor battery life..but LTE in general. Being an HTC product might not be helping the matter..but i'm sure if they can get the battery life up to minimum 6 hrs on LTE..then people will be able to customize it for prolonged battery.

I wonder if it HAS to run LTE or if it can in fact be "turned off" and only set to run 2G/3G like most phones now. Keep in mind LTE only affects download/upload speeds (correct me if i'm wrong)..which may be a big deal to some..but for right now..I think most people are fine with 3G. Once LTE tech gets better..at least people who have the LTE capable phones will have the option to use it if they have a phone LTE capable.
    OK... you are wrong. At some point in time (I expect before one buys their second 4G capable phone) Verizon will be offering higher fidelity VOICE CALLS. Of course, the person to whom you are speaking also needs hardware capable of the same mean feat.
    02-27-11 11:02 AM
    Um, yeah. I was talking about me. I don't care who gets what phone!

My plan is extended battery with new battery door!

My BlackBerry needs charged twice a day so I'm used to that.

What are you doing on your BB that it needs to be charged twice a day? The only phone I've EVER had to charge twice a day was my Fascinate, and that's all I'm gonna say on that topic.
    02-27-11 03:46 PM
    What are you doing on your BB that it needs to be charged twice a day? The only phone I've EVER had to charge twice a day was my Fascinate, and that's all I'm gonna say on that topic.
    My Bold 9000 and 9700 were always dead before the end of my work day. Some people use their devices more than others. Also, it all depends on what you are doing. Streaming and using a lot of data will kill the battery quick. Standard communication (text, email and IM) wont be so harsh on battery life.
    02-27-11 04:34 PM
    my storms would need charging before the end of my day too sometimes, same with my incredible, it just depends on how i am using them
    02-27-11 04:39 PM
    hmmmm i heard tomorrow though on it....we'll see what happens here.
    02-27-11 10:51 PM
    thursday hopefully, announcement tomorrow
    02-27-11 10:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD