If I purchase the Nexus One at it's full-unlocked price of $500+ dollars...will I actually have to have the phone activated, or have it (rooted, jailbroken, etc.) and/or have a activated-SIM card installed in it in order to just use it's Wi-Fi browser for example??

I'm not ready to switch carriers right now...but I was willing to purchase just the Nexus One right now at full price as long as I know that in the mean time I can simply use the Wi-Fi browser and/or other features on it besides making calls and such.
    01-12-10 02:35 PM
    If I purchase the Nexus One at it's full-unlocked price of $500+ dollars...will I actually have to have the phone activated, or have it (rooted, jailbroken, etc.) and/or have a activated-SIM card installed in it in order to just use it's Wi-Fi browser for example??

I'm not ready to switch carriers right now...but I was willing to purchase just the Nexus One right now at full price as long as I know that in the mean time I can simply use the Wi-Fi browser and/or other features on it besides making calls and such.
    ALL Nexus One are unlocked, their is nothing to root, jailbreak etc. I bought the phone for full price and threw my AT&T SIM in it and was done.
    01-12-10 02:45 PM
    It may be unlocked but it can still definitely be rooted in order to do other things.
    01-12-10 02:53 PM
    I realize what 'unlocked' means. I think the point I'm trying to make is being missed. I'm w/ Sprint..a non-GSM carrier.

I don't want to leave Sprint just yet..however I want to purchase the unlocked Nexus One to use later if/when I do decide to switch to a GSM carrier.

In the mean time; I'd like to use simply the Wi-Fi browser on the Nexus One...so in order to even do something like this; do I have to install a valid and activated SiM card?? I hope someone sees what I'm trying to ask her; and can answer me according to that..thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-10 04:24 PM
    You can use the Phone as a wifi device with no SIM in the phone. You can also do this on a DROID(CDMA) without it being activated if you touch top left, top right, right bottom, and then left bottom.
    01-12-10 04:36 PM
    Yup it will work just like iPod touch, for example. You'll be able to use it where you have wifi coverage.

01-12-10 04:57 PM
    You can use the Phone as a wifi device with no SIM in the phone. You can also do this on a DROID(CDMA) without it being activated if you touch top left, top right, right bottom, and then left bottom.
    Wait; are you joking w/ the top left, top right thing?? The only reason I'm mainly asking is because I've seen in some videos where the Nexus One's screen says 'insert valid sim'...so I thought this would prevent the Nexus One's Wi-Fi from working or being able to be accessed.

01-12-10 04:58 PM
    http://wiki.droid-devs.com/index.php...***_Activation

ha, wonder if that will work on the eris. might have to try it.
    01-12-10 05:08 PM
    Wait; are you joking w/ the top left, top right thing?? The only reason I'm mainly asking is because I've seen in some videos where the Nexus One's screen says 'insert valid sim'...so I thought this would prevent the Nexus One's Wi-Fi from working or being able to be accessed.

Nope, not joking. CDMA phones require activation because they have no SIM. Doing that process on an Android phone bypassing activation and goes to the home screen.

The Nexus One needs no SIM to use it as a iTouch, I've done it, you're fine.
    01-12-10 06:08 PM
    Nope, not joking. CDMA phones require activation because they have no SIM. Doing that process on an Android phone bypassing activation and goes to the home screen.

The Nexus One needs no SIM to use it as a iTouch, I've done it, you're fine.
    Precisely..I want to use it as an iTouch basically (thanks for pointing that out).

I just want to make sure it's as simple as this WITHOUT any other tricks/gimmicks..so 1.) I buy it 2.) Disregard the whole 'insert valid sim card' (or similar msg) 3.) Use the browser via Wi-Fi

That's it right??? I just want to make sure before I drop $500+

01-12-10 06:15 PM
    That is correct.
    01-12-10 06:29 PM
    What is with people paying so much money just to have the newest devices?
    01-12-10 08:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD