Yesterday's RIM outage was the last straw for me. Today at lunch I went over to the Verizon store and played around with the Eris quite a bit. I walked away quite impressed. The browser is awesome. I really like the smaller size and weight of the phone compared to my Storm 2. Can anyone that's switched from a Storm or Storm 2 comment on the ease of typing on the Eris? I tried the compact QWERTY and wasn't real wild about having to use multi-tap. I then tried the full QWERTY, but am concerned about my fat fingers on such a small keyboard.

I checked out the Droid, the bigger screen was nice, but I really liked the form factor of the Eris.

Right now trying to decide if I want to make the switch. I would have to buy the Eris at full retail since I just got my Storm 2 when it was launched. I figured I could Ebay the Storm 2 and recover most of the cost of the Eris.
    12-23-09 12:56 PM
    Dude I had the storm 1 and i liked it. but the Droid its great its like comparing a Mustang and a Ferrari. Mustang its good car, it drives fast u know u can pick up a girl or 2 but the Ferrari its just Ferrari. U know wat am saying. lol
    12-23-09 03:22 PM
    I made the switch yesterday. Loving Android so far!
    12-23-09 03:46 PM
    I'm debating about switching to a Droid too. My only hesitation comes with how it handles yahoo e-mails, because all my bills come through one yahoo account, the battery life, and the actual hardware. I'm just not 100% sold on it yet. Plus I'm waiting for the Essex to drop, but even I'll admit that BB OS will never look as sexy as Android does on that Droid's huge screen.

If somebody could talk me into it though, I might stop waiting for the Essex and make the switch to Droid.

Anybody want to convince me?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-09 03:52 PM
    You can foward all your emails from yahoo to gmail account since is the main one on the droid. thats the way am doing it and so far it works for me. SO GET THE DROID... lol
    12-23-09 04:36 PM
    I'll convince you,

As far as waiting for the Essex....I understand why, but you will be disappointed. Its just the Bold 9700. Looks great and it will be the best Blackberry, but a Blackberry nonetheless. If your looking for something to revive your love and passion for your Berry that i know you have lost, the Essex wont deliver. Cool trackpad and WiFi, but the stale Berry OS is depressing.

Look, try as we may, defending RIM is not as easy as it once was. We can't just say the word "Email" and expect the argument to be over. My Gmail pushes onto the Droid faster at times then my Tour got them. And if a matter of seconds faster for email is really the selling point for you, then you should rethink your priorities. Lets be realistic, If something needs to be done IMMEDIATELY or someone needs to get a hold of you right away than WHY WOULD THEY SEND YOU AN EMAIL????...how bout a call/text message

When it comes to the Droid, i don't have to go into a full review because I'm sure you have seen and read enough about it. But let me tell you, it is a truly amazing device. The OS is not only fun and entertaining, but functional and practical. I know its a matter of taste, but personally i think the Droid is one of the sexier devices out there. I like the risk Moto took in designing a phone that didn't fit the mold of the leading competitors....cough cough. Its industrial and substantial, yet sleek and sexy.

The keyboard is no Blackberry keyboard, but its nowhere near as bad as some reviews have said. Like with anything, you adjust and get used to it. However, i mostly use the virtual keyboards anyway.

Its amazing how different and almost unfamiliar the feeling is to have a device that is so solid and well made. Out of the box the Droid...just works. No battery pulls, no trackball issues, no freezing, no waiting up all hours of the night waiting for OS leaks that, in the end, don't fix many of the problems. With my Berry's i found myself just praying for a leak that would give me a stable phone. With the droid, i don't even know what to do because i don't have to fix anything.

Verizon/Google rolled out the 2.01 update a little over a month after the Droid released. It fixed things that i didn't even know were a problem!....amazing. And the 2.1 update in Janurary is rumored to bring more goodies. They continue to improve the phone by building on an already solid device, instead of sending updates just to make the phone usable (BB Storm).

Honestly i hope i can come back to Blackberry one day. I'm just not sure i ever see that happening. Android will prove over the next year or so to be a real game changer. The Google ecosystem combined with good manufacturers, beautiful OS's, and open source development will prove to a true force in the Phone industry.

I guess the bottom line is....go pick up that Droid (or Eris, i guess) and you wont regret it. Give RIM time to get their act together and go back later. But you know what they say: Once you go Android, you.... well you can finish the rest
    12-23-09 04:56 PM
    I just got my upgrade pushed up a few months as compensation for the recent BB outages. I'll be jumping ship in March. Hopefully the replacement for Hero will be out by then.

12-23-09 05:10 PM
    You can foward all your emails from yahoo to gmail account since is the main one on the droid. thats the way am doing it and so far it works for me. SO GET THE DROID... lol
    When I looked into forwarding emails from yahoo to gmail, it said it will only do it for 30 days and then you have to start paying for it. Is that true? If so, I still need my yahoo account because it is attached to everything I do.
    12-23-09 05:36 PM
    I'll convince you,

As far as waiting for the Essex....I understand why, but you will be disappointed. Its just the Bold 9700. Looks great and it will be the best Blackberry, but a Blackberry nonetheless. If your looking for something to revive your love and passion for your Berry that i know you have lost, the Essex wont deliver. Cool trackpad and WiFi, but the stale Berry OS is depressing.

Look, try as we may, defending RIM is not as easy as it once was. We can't just say the word "Email" and expect the argument to be over. My Gmail pushes onto the Droid faster at times then my Tour got them. And if a matter of seconds faster for email is really the selling point for you, then you should rethink your priorities. Lets be realistic, If something needs to be done IMMEDIATELY or someone needs to get a hold of you right away than WHY WOULD THEY SEND YOU AN EMAIL????...how bout a call/text message

When it comes to the Droid, i don't have to go into a full review because I'm sure you have seen and read enough about it. But let me tell you, it is a truly amazing device. The OS is not only fun and entertaining, but functional and practical. I know its a matter of taste, but personally i think the Droid is one of the sexier devices out there. I like the risk Moto took in designing a phone that didn't fit the mold of the leading competitors....cough cough. Its industrial and substantial, yet sleek and sexy.

The keyboard is no Blackberry keyboard, but its nowhere near as bad as some reviews have said. Like with anything, you adjust and get used to it. However, i mostly use the virtual keyboards anyway.

Its amazing how different and almost unfamiliar the feeling is to have a device that is so solid and well made. Out of the box the Droid...just works. No battery pulls, no trackball issues, no freezing, no waiting up all hours of the night waiting for OS leaks that, in the end, don't fix many of the problems. With my Berry's i found myself just praying for a leak that would give me a stable phone. With the droid, i don't even know what to do because i don't have to fix anything.

Verizon/Google rolled out the 2.01 update a little over a month after the Droid released. It fixed things that i didn't even know were a problem!....amazing. And the 2.1 update in Janurary is rumored to bring more goodies. They continue to improve the phone by building on an already solid device, instead of sending updates just to make the phone usable (BB Storm).

Honestly i hope i can come back to Blackberry one day. I'm just not sure i ever see that happening. Android will prove over the next year or so to be a real game changer. The Google ecosystem combined with good manufacturers, beautiful OS's, and open source development will prove to a true force in the Phone industry.

I guess the bottom line is....go pick up that Droid (or Eris, i guess) and you wont regret it. Give RIM time to get their act together and go back later. But you know what they say: Once you go Android, you.... well you can finish the rest
    You are an astute individual. I agree with everything you've said with one exception and that is about giving time for RIM to get their act together - they've had plenty of time to get their ducks in a row. They've always been complacent with their devices with little new innovation. When they were the only game in town, we had to live with what we were given. But now it's a different story. They do email well, but that is all. I personally look forward to what I expect to be a truly remarkable device. Droid rocks!
    12-27-09 01:29 AM
    I'll convince you,

+1000 1/2..... very well said. Rim allowed themselves to get too comfy in their position. Spewing Bb after bb with now major software or hardware inovation. Its almost as If who ever Is running rim is a stubborn old man.

12-27-09 03:55 AM
    G
    +1000 1/2..... very well said. Rim allowed themselves to get too comfy in their position. Spewing Bb after bb with now major software or hardware inovation. Its almost as If who ever Is running rim is a stubborn old man.

12-27-09 10:18 AM
    I've been taking a very hard look at making the Droid my next phone. I heard it's limited on what files can be downloaded to the SDcard, and what files can be attached from the SDcard to Emails. If this is true, and if there are no updates in the future to correct this, I will stick with my BlackBerry.

12-27-09 09:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD