Captivate > Torch

Personally, I'm waiting for a high-end HTC Android device with Sense. I don't want to pay 500 bucks for a Nexus 1 that's rooted or whatever. I just want factory sense on a device with FFC camera and I'm jumping on it. After using SenseUI, I don't like the other ones nor vanilla Android. Any ideas when one is coming out subsidized?
    I haven't heard of any coming. I know the Aria isn't high end but its still a sweet phone.
    And if you want the Sense ui experience just put Launcher Pro on your phone. Its basically Sense Ui wihout the Sense look (its actually smoother than Sense). You just miss out on the Sense widgets and integrated services.

My point exactly. There is no good android device on ATT.
    In comparison: the TORCH is 10x better than the captivate. Its a better phone all around.
    All of you that say the contrary haven't even had a chance to play with a torch. U just looked the reviews on engadget, cnet, boygenius,; all those sites are android and iphone lovers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Idk what ur talking about. The Captivate is an awesome phone. I like the Touchwiz ui but if you don't there are plenty of home replacements in the market. You can also get rid of it by root access.

Most ppl like Sense because of the smoothness but most ppl don't know about the launchers you can download in the market to get even smoother feels than Sense. Just sayin
    08-24-10 04:55 PM
    Also it doesn't seem AT&t and Android play well together. At&t blocks some of the features on the phone and to get em back you have to root. Its a no wonder why most manufacturers don't wanna make high end phones for At&t because they know they're wasting their time, especially when At&t mainly cares about the iPhone. Notice how most high end exclusive phones are on other carriers and not At&t?

So if you want a good high end device that's not crippled by a carrier, look at Verizon Sprint and Tmobile. At&t probably wont be getting any high end Android phones besides the non exclusive Galaxy S.

Of course the Captivate is their top android phone but its crippled just a little by At&t by blocking off non market apps. If I were on At&t I would get the Captivate because its fast, sect and just plain awesome. A great alternativ to the iPhone. The Torch is a beta phone as far as im concerned cuz OS6 feels unfinished.
    Last edited by techman4112; 08-24-10 at 05:04 PM.
    08-24-10 05:01 PM
    In comparison: the TORCH is 10x better than the captivate. Its a better phone all around.
    All of you that say the contrary haven't even had a chance to play with a torch. U just looked the reviews on engadget, cnet, boygenius,; all those sites are android and iphone lovers.

im not a Samsung nor Blackberry fan but i have to disagree with you. the captivate is wayyy better than the torch and i even had the chance to play with both phones more than once.
    08-24-10 05:32 PM

I used the Torch and was not impressed. This is coming from someone who was with RIM for the last 10 years or so. Does it do things better than the Captivate? Sure! But the Captivate does everything that I want and it does it better than the Torch. That is the simple fact for me and its why I switched.

I looked at threads in these forums and posted my own thread, I never searched for reviews cause I knew there were people on these forums that had used both phones. I also played with the captivate (while owning the Torch) in the att store. The captivate was the better device for me.
    08-24-10 08:45 PM
    I used the Torch and was not impressed. This is coming from someone who was with RIM for the last 10 years or so. Does it do things better than the Captivate? Sure! But the Captivate does everything that I want and it does it better than the Torch. That is the simple fact for me and its why I switched.

I looked at threads in these forums and posted my own thread, I never searched for reviews cause I knew there were people on these forums that had used both phones. I also played with the captivate (while owning the Torch) in the att store. The captivate was the better device for me.
    congrats on your android device enjoy it
    08-24-10 09:02 PM
    Hard comparison, both software and hardware-wise the Galaxy S is the better phone by leaps-'n'-bounds. That said, I just came from the Galaxy S and switched to a 9700 Bold as of yesterday because, quite simply, the GS bored me. It's a stunning device, when on, but when in standby it's ugly. The casebacks are hideous and I can't stand to bulk them up with cases. Now, here's the thing, I have no comparison point for arguing the Torch side of things. I detest the cheesy look and feel of slider phones and especially when the bar look is BlackBerry's niche. So on that note, I'm left with voting for the Galaxy S hands down. Neither do it for me in the looks department, and the GS is the superior phone without question.
    08-24-10 11:42 PM
    Zagg invisishield skin looks great on GS. There are no good cases for touch screens.EVER. Torch is just so fat...

08-25-10 08:42 AM
    Zagg invisishield skin looks great on GS. There are no good cases for touch screens.EVER. Torch is just so fat...

Au naturale feels so good though........
    The feel of the glass under the tips of your finger.
    As far as pouches cases go
    I have this pouch....
    http://store.droidforums.net/mobi-pr...4A132A2225.htm
    Here is another alternative for u as well.....
    Mobile Devices Suede Jacket Cases - Droid X - Droid Incredible - HTC EVO - Google Nexus One - Google Android G1 Case - Palm Pre - BlackBerry Bold Case - BlackBerry Curve Case - Samsung Instinct Case - LG Dare Case - Sony Ericsson Xperia - Nokia - sue
    08-25-10 09:05 AM

Meh, I have used the Torch, and IMO, it is not a good device. I did a battery pull, cleared the event logs, ad the device was noticeably slower than the Captivate. Browsing is also much slower.

The Torch is nowhere near 10x better than the Captivate. That is just a ridiculous statement to make. Currently every high end Android device outperforms the Torch with ease. It doesn't matter what carrier.

I prefer a 9700 or 9000. Using the same processor with the older OS is more fitting.
    08-25-10 12:18 PM
    I haven't heard of any coming. I know the Aria isn't high end but its still a sweet phone.
    And if you want the Sense ui experience just put Launcher Pro on your phone. Its basically Sense Ui wihout the Sense look (its actually smoother than Sense).
    Nope. I am awae of the Aria which is why I stated high end.

You just miss out on the Sense widgets and integrated services.
    Well duh. This is why I like sense because of the services and widgets. And I am already aware of launcher pro but as I stated I am waiting on a high end AT&T Android w Sense. Not looking for alternatives to Sense. Thanks though. Obviously, I want the Sense widgets and services. It's not only the "smoothness" I like about Sense.
    08-25-10 02:05 PM
    Also don't forget the Sony X10 and Dell Streak. These both have high end specs comparable to other Android devices. Their only downfall is running an older version of Android. But in my opinion they are high end because of the specs. It's a matter of how long it takes to bring the updates. Sony is always releasing another one of AT&T next month that's sort of in the Aria class. But I need a high end HTC device with good battery and FFC and then I'm good to go.
    08-25-10 02:18 PM
    Dude, those phones are no way near highend devices. What the torch does, those phones can't do it. Yeah they have a faster processor, but still they are no way near what they should be: iphone 4.
    Since the torch is a device of its own class, I guess it can't be compared to those iphone mimickers.

08-25-10 07:07 PM
    Here we go again.....

08-25-10 09:10 PM
    Dude, those phones are no way near highend devices. What the torch does, those phones can't do it. Yeah they have a faster processor, but still they are no way near what they should be: iphone 4.
    Since the torch is a device of its own class, I guess it can't be compared to those iphone mimickers.

You have yet to express your reasons why the Torch is such a great device. Please do so, so we all know your thoughts. Until then quit posting in here.
    08-25-10 09:50 PM

I guess everyone has their own opinion. I had the pleasure of testing out the iphone 4 for a few days and my conclusion.....highly overrated phone and have no clue what all the hype is about iphones, so glad I went for the Vibrant instead. As for the Torch.....too Palm Pre-ish for me.

08-25-10 10:00 PM
    I guess everyone has their own opinion. I had the pleasure of testing out the iphone 4 for a few days and my conclusion.....highly overrated phone and have no clue what all the hype is about iphones, so glad I went for the Vibrant instead. As for the Torch.....too Palm Pre-ish for me.

agreed..
    08-25-10 10:06 PM

The iPhones (and iPod Touch) are so damn easy to use, it's probably what people are looking for. Only one physical button and everything else is tap tap tap, BB and Android phones mostly has 4 physical buttons and a trackball/trackpad and multitasking and menus to go through. I never once glanced at the iPhone 4 when at stores, I walk right past them and I find it funny like yesterday I went into the Source store and one of the employees immediately came up to me and said "we have iPhones in stock" assuming I'd be looking for one and I said "yeah so what" and he asked if I need anything else lol.

And this image made my day:
    Last edited by sookster54; 08-26-10 at 02:54 PM.
    08-26-10 02:52 PM
    Yea I saw that picture on Android Central... Good advertising.
    08-26-10 04:02 PM
    You should do it
    09-13-10 05:31 PM
    Also don't forget the Sony X10 and Dell Streak. These both have high end specs comparable to other Android devices. Their only downfall is running an older version of Android. But in my opinion they are high end because of the specs. It's a matter of how long it takes to bring the updates. Sony is always releasing another one of AT&T next month that's sort of in the Aria class. But I need a high end HTC device with good battery and FFC and then I'm good to go.
    The Dell Streak has a 5" screen, do you really want to be using that as a phone? Remember how embarrassing it was to use foot long phones back in the late 80's? Also Sony Ericcson's X10 kind of sucks and is overpriced, it still runs OS 1.6 with a **** ugly UI.

If you talk high end, it's Droid X, Droid 2, Evo 4G, Desire, Desire HD, Incredible, Nexus One, Captivate/Vibrant/Fascinate, etc. Except most of those are only available in the US.
    09-14-10 06:26 AM
    I had a different experience with the Captivate.
    09-14-10 10:14 PM
    Enjoy your Android, they're the best
    09-19-10 12:41 PM
    For all of those that are unwilling to try Android because of lack keyboard shortcuts. I posted a link to a Cnet article/video that the different keyboard short cuts for Android devices that have a physical keyboard.
    09-19-10 02:54 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD