Well, I went out and picked up the Torch yesterday and I do truly love it. First touch screen phone for me, so I really wanted that physical keyboard. Now though, as I continue reading up on the captivate I am concerned on whether I made the right choice. I do some messaging but not a lot and I use my email quite a bit. The biggest thing I use is the browser on my phone since my work place blocks all internet use on our computers.

I'm hesitant to leave the Blackberry since its the only phone I'm familiar with and have been using one for almost 10 years now. I'm also hesitant to go to a touch only phone with no keyboard, but I think I could survive without the keyboard and I actually find myself using the touch keyboard more and more even though it sucks on the Torch.

I know there are many threads already started on this topic, but if anyone wants to take the time to sway me one way or the other it would be appreciated.
    08-22-10 11:08 PM
    I can't speak for the Captivate, but I went to the Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant yesterday, and am LOVING IT. I had several Berries (look at the sig lol), and loved the Pre, but I am not regretting the touch only at all. Especially with Swype. I am so fast with Swype already.

The screen floors me.

My other half is very impressed with the new phone. He ditched his Pearl for technical issues and is now using my Pre until his contract is up for renewal. He is loving the Pre as much as I did, and has already made several comments about what he 'settled for' with the old phone lol.

I would go in and play with it. I went into Bell sold on iPhone 4 and after 10 minutes with the Vibrant I was totally sold.
    08-22-10 11:57 PM
    I can't speak for the Captivate, but I went to the Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant yesterday, and am LOVING IT. I had several Berries (look at the sig lol), and loved the Pre, but I am not regretting the touch only at all. Especially with Swype. I am so fast with Swype already.

The screen floors me.

My other half is very impressed with the new phone. He ditched his Pearl for technical issues and is now using my Pre until his contract is up for renewal. He is loving the Pre as much as I did, and has already made several comments about what he 'settled for' with the old phone lol.

I would go in and play with it. I went into Bell sold on iPhone 4 and after 10 minutes with the Vibrant I was totally sold.
    I have played with it and its fun to mess around with. I think I'm mostly looking for a new experience. Was hoping for more with BB OS6 and really just got more of the same in a prettier package. I think I'm going to take the torch back and get the Captivate ($50 cheaper at BestBuy) and just learn a new system.
    08-23-10 12:06 AM
    Well, I went out and picked up the Torch yesterday and I do truly love it. First touch screen phone for me, so I really wanted that physical keyboard. Now though, as I continue reading up on the captivate I am concerned on whether I made the right choice. I do some messaging but not a lot and I use my email quite a bit. The biggest thing I use is the browser on my phone since my work place blocks all internet use on our computers.

I'm hesitant to leave the Blackberry since its the only phone I'm familiar with and have been using one for almost 10 years now. I'm also hesitant to go to a touch only phone with no keyboard, but I think I could survive without the keyboard and I actually find myself using the touch keyboard more and more even though it sucks on the Torch.

I know there are many threads already started on this topic, but if anyone wants to take the time to sway me one way or the other it would be appreciated.
    The software keyboard is fine on the Galaxy S. I might not be able to type as fast as i used to on my 9000 as i can on my Evo but that hasnt made the least bit of difference. Sometimes i like to use Swype, sometimes i like to use voice to text, and i love having that freedom.

The Captivate is superior all around to the 9800 other than lolbbm and pushing hotmail.
    08-23-10 12:07 AM
    im in the same boat as you..ive been a bb user since the 9000, then 9700. When the captivate came out i had to try it..ive tried the htc incredible from verizon so im familiar with android os.

my main concern was how well the samsung dealt with messaging(text, Email etc). well bottom line is..its not a bb..now i know nothing can beat a bb in messagin. plus i love how bb has the shortcuts and ease of use especially with the new os6. but it lacks in other areas like screen resolution, size, cpu speed etc.

well after my 9700, i purchased the captivate and loved it, i did miss somethings like the ease of messaging, lack of LED notification, and sound alert profiles. but the captivate was awesome browsing the web, videos, customization, and much more.

so basically it comes down to this..what do u do more off.....do you want a phone with great messagin(text, emails, bbm) with OK screen resolution, size, etc or do you want a phone with great screen resolution, web, video, customization, apps, but with an OK messaging experience..

also keep in mind the lack of LED and camera flash. the battery on the 9800 is better than the captivate but not by much... i went the whole day on a single charge on the captivate using the heck out of it. also the GPS doesnt work well..but samsung states a fix will be on its way in sept. The virutal keyboard is not bad at all..you will get use to it..especially with swype!

when the 9800 came out i returned the captivate to try out the bb and im loving it so far..but everyday i think about the captivate's screen and web experience..i think for me i rather have that and a OK messaging experience so i think im going back to the captivate. plus my daughter loved watching yo gabba gabba on the 4 in super amoled screen
    08-23-10 02:51 AM
    I'm still not sure how people are getting along with Android devices on AT&T. I am a moderate to heavy user and I am over 5GB of data for the month and I still have a week and a half left in my cycle. With the 2GB cap they have, I wouldn't be able to do it. One of the great things about Android are the widgets. But unless you are on WiFi all the time, you won't be able to take full advantage of this. For AT&T, I would go for the Torch because it won't use as much data.
    Last edited by dwaynewilliams; 08-23-10 at 07:43 AM.
    08-23-10 03:32 AM
    3 years of BlackBerry Devices and I switched to the Captivate when it came back. Never a glitch in my mind of ever turning back. The Galaxy S line of phones are a beast. You can pick up the touch screen quick and will learn to love it more. Bigger screen, better graphics, better expierence and an all around quality phone. Samsung is great with Quality. HTC is also.
    08-23-10 06:26 AM
    There is absolutely nothing to be nervous about if switching. I was on BB forever and was initially worried going to the Droid X and it is a very easy painless transition. I couldn't be happier at this point and have already sold my S2 and left it safely behind me!!!!! So if you are on the fence, give it a try. You won't regret it!!!
    08-23-10 07:03 AM
    Trash the Torch and pickup a Captivate.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-10 07:30 AM
    The Galaxy S variants are amazing, I dug the Vibrant at the Bell store and it seems better quality than most other phones in its class (Droid, Desire, Xperia, etc). I don't have much interest in the Torch, never really have but I do have interest in the Bold 9780 however I doubt I'm getting another BB for a while.
    08-23-10 08:16 AM
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm thats a no brainer......
    Go for it you'll be thinking what took me so long.
    08-23-10 09:22 AM
    No way. Why? Its not the droid x, its not droid incredible, its not evo 4g... So why would u wanted?
    Samsung has been said to have support issues. The GPS is a big issue. The battery life, not so great.
    So stick to the torch. Its the best of both worlds and will even get better with updates.

08-23-10 04:32 PM
    So stick to the torch. Its the best of both worlds and will even get better with updates.

Hmm let's see what software updates wont help-

• Slow processor
    • No GPU
    • Poor screen resolution

The device is not worth $200 on a 2 year deal when you place it up against the competition.

Get your moneys worth and get the Captivate. It is current technology.
    08-23-10 04:41 PM
    Well I traded my Torch for the Captivate today and used the money I saved on an invisible shield and a case for the phone. This phone is amazing. Im glad I made the switch!
    08-23-10 04:49 PM
    Congrats on the switch. Enjoy it.
    08-23-10 04:55 PM
    Well I traded my Torch for the Captivate today and used the money I saved on an invisible shield and a case for the phone. This phone is amazing. Im glad I made the switch!
    Sorry to say but, you will come back. You will see.
    08-23-10 05:27 PM
    The only thing that was keeping me with Blackberry was my familiarity with the UI, which isn't a problem since the Captivate is just as easy to use if not easier. Hate to shoot you down but it will take one **** of a phone from RIM for me to come back after seeing what else was out there.
    08-23-10 05:53 PM
    I too was in a question mode as to what to move to from a 9700.
    Finally got to touch non-working units and the 9800 really felt good like a BB should. The Cap did not feel as solid.

The 9800 was not a big enough improvement over the 9700 as far as internals and screen. This is what I came away with after a lot of reading mostly on CB.

My solution:

Just added a line to my family plan and got the Captivate and am loving it. I do seem to be racking up the data and will blow through the 2G in no time. Will try and change the SIM between the 9700 and Cap and see if that works.

Will keep my 9700 active till either the 9800 comes way down in price (like free on contract extension) or wait for RIM to come out with TorchII.

Don
    08-23-10 06:23 PM
    Lol. The thing is, a lot of former BB users AREN'T coming back. My boss loves his Captivate (former Bold 9000).
    08-23-10 07:30 PM
    Lol. The thing is, a lot of former BB users AREN'T coming back. My boss loves his Captivate (former Bold 9000).
    You guys don't get it: you pick the wrong phone to move to. If you had pick the droid x, incredible, etc. I can see the move beeing good. Or if you had move to iphone4.
    You all will be sorry! LOL

08-23-10 07:43 PM
    You guys don't get it: you pick the wrong phone to move to. If you had pick the droid x, incredible, etc. I can see the move beeing good. Or if you had move to iphone4.

ahh so ur saying the captivate isn't a good phone
    08-23-10 08:14 PM

Those of us who are tied to AT&T have no choice but the captivate. I'm sure your next post will be telling me to switch carriers. . . but where I live ATT is fantastic and costs a lot less than any other carrier for the services I have. I didn't get an iPhone cause they are plain boring and I cant stand Apple or Steve Jobs.
    08-23-10 08:23 PM

Lol you are funny.
    08-23-10 09:04 PM
    This guy is just a troll. My wife was a die hard qwerty fan, and she absolutely loves the Captivate. I never liked qwerty because I just never got a good feel so I have preferred touch screen and I love the Captivate. So explain how two extremes will come back to BB?
    08-23-10 09:34 PM
    I tried the captivate, and went back to BB. I could only handle no LED light and getting my gmail in bunches for so long.
    08-23-10 10:16 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD