Hi guys,

Sitting on the fence here waiting for an AT&T compatible and 3G capable phone to come out. I'm basically looking for a fast phone, i.e. with something like Droid's processor, but preferably Nexus One like 1Ghz one. Don't have a keyboard vs. no keyboard preference.

Rumor has it Google's N1 will be on AT&T one day but the time frame is unknown. There is a similar speced phone HTC Desire coming out soon but AT&T release time frame is unknown as well.

So, what are our choices as far as getting a powerful Android 3G phone on AT&T? I wouldn't mind getting an unlocked if I could, but I just haven't heard of one that would do 3G.
    03-01-10 08:47 PM
    the only android phone soon to be released on at&t is the backflip- march 7,2010.
    03-01-10 08:49 PM
    Yeah, thanks for mentioning it. I forgot to say I've read about that one. I wasn't impressed by the specs and Engadget's review confirms it:
    Motorola Backflip for AT&T unboxing and hands-on -- Engadget

As soon as I saw them saying "laggy" I knew that was it for me for even considering it. That's why I think it's very important to pick a "beefy" phone so that it can keep up with the OS.

I'm personally very skeptical about AT&T intentions to bring any decent Android phone to compete with their flagship exclusive iPhone. So, are you guys aware of any Canadian or may be even UK AT&T/3G/loaded compatible Android phones by any chance?
    03-01-10 09:25 PM
    Dell is supposed to release their Mini 7 before June. HTC is also supposed to release an 'exclusive' android phone before June. We'll see how it goes. I'm really hoping for a full touch-screen, beefy, HTC phone.
    03-01-10 10:06 PM
    Entrical, I'm hoping that exclusive is HTC Desire, which for the most part is basically the same as Nexus One. Wait is killing me though. My contract is not up til early August but I'd go with an unlocked one right now, if I could.
    03-01-10 10:22 PM
    at&t isnt even going to have regular google search on the backflip, they replaced it with yahoo =( sad day
    03-01-10 11:39 PM
    Atleast you have a reason to wait SM05. My upgrade is in 3 weeks. And I'm sure as **** not getting the backflip. I need a new phone though because my curve is glitchy and I'm tired of it. Hate having to worry about RAM. I may just have to get a 3GS until more android options are available.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-10 12:33 PM
    Wait for the backflip or compatible nexus version or you can by a unlocked Telus Milestone (Droid) and use it on AT&T's 3G. It will cost you a boat load of money but hey, if you got it, get it.
    03-02-10 01:46 PM
    Not trying to pay full price for a phone. And I don't want the backflip, it's laggy and ugly.

Ill get a 3GS til a suitable Android phone comes out, then sell it to pay for the Android.

03-02-10 02:35 PM
    Wait for the Desire or the Nexus one. Identical phones except Desire has HTC Sense UI and built in FM Radio! w00t!
    03-02-10 02:36 PM
    Not trying to pay full price for a phone. And I don't want the backflip, it's laggy and ugly.

Ill get a 3GS til a suitable Android phone comes out, then sell it to pay for the Android.

Yeah probably the best bet. I wouldn't want the backflip either. Hopefully a compatible version of the nexus one comes out or something comparable.
    03-02-10 03:53 PM
    I'm thinking if I should just get the current Nexus One for now til AT&T releases something similar. And then sell it and get a AT&T/3G capable one. I hear N1 is not too bad on Edge.
    03-02-10 08:41 PM
    I'm thinking if I should just get the current Nexus One for now til AT&T releases something similar. And then sell it and get a AT&T/3G capable one. I hear N1 is not too bad on Edge.
    Edge s deathly slow. If you are doing anything that has to do with data beside email, it's pitiful. Might as well wait a little while longer for a AT&T android device or you can always pick up an unlocked Telus version of the Droid which also works on AT&T 3G. Don't get the Nexus one yet unless you are planning to be around wifi all day. Youtube is slow, browsing is terrible even loading up facebook can be painful at times. Trust me, just wait a little while.
    03-03-10 08:38 AM
    Yeah, just learnt about Telus last night. Been thinking about it. I'd ultimately want something like N1 or Desire.

You're right, Edge is gonna be slow. I've seen some speed test results last night and it's very slow. Anything other than email or texting - forget about it.

I'm a developer by trade so I just can't wait to get my hands on one to start playing with a few app ideas I have.
    03-03-10 11:05 AM
    I'm stuck with Att as well. Trying to determine what phone I would go with. Decisions Decisions
    03-03-10 11:15 AM
    Yeah, just learnt about Telus last night. Been thinking about it. I'd ultimately want something like N1 or Desire.

You're right, Edge is gonna be slow. I've seen some speed test results last night and it's very slow. Anything other than email or texting - forget about it.

I'm a developer by trade so I just can't wait to get my hands on one to start playing with a few app ideas I have.
    Yup I hear you. I got the Nexus one running on AT&T now and it's a good device but, it's just crippled outside of Wifi. It's so painful to do stuff. I'll pick up an AT&T Android comparable to it or the Droid. I won't touch anything with motoblur. And I'm not shelling out 750 bucks for a telus unlocked version either.
    03-03-10 11:26 AM
    And I'm not shelling out 750 bucks for a telus unlocked version either.
    $545, not that it makes that big of a difference, ie it's a lot regardless:
    Buy a Motorola Milestone Android Smartphone (Unlocked, QWERTY), #SM1658AL3B1 - eXpansys Inc
    03-03-10 07:26 PM
    Wait for the backflip or compatible nexus version or you can by a unlocked Telus Milestone (Droid) and use it on AT&T's 3G. It will cost you a boat load of money but hey, if you got it, get it.
    Is there any hope of AT&T getting the Moto Milestone?

03-03-10 09:45 PM
    ... you can always pick up an unlocked Telus version of the Droid which also works on AT&T 3G...
    Sorry, but everything I read says the Moto Milestone would be edge/EDGE only on AT&T in the US...
    03-03-10 11:44 PM
    $545, not that it makes that big of a difference, ie it's a lot regardless:
    Buy a Motorola Milestone Android Smartphone (Unlocked, QWERTY), #SM1658AL3B1 - eXpansys Inc
    The one from this site is an unlocked European one and not an unlocked Telus one. The european one doesn't work on AT&T 3G or t-mobile's. It works on both their edge networks. So to get an unlocked Telus one you'll pay around 750 right now.
    03-04-10 12:06 PM
    Sorry, but everything I read says the Moto Milestone would be edge/EDGE only on AT&T in the US...
    The Telus version works on AT&T 3G. It's the unlocked European ones that do not work on 3G. All Telus 3G phones can run on AT&T 3G service.
    03-04-10 12:07 PM
    Just got my shipment in of the Moto Backflip for AT&T. Not the best, we know, but its a step in the right direction.
    03-04-10 12:08 PM
    So to get an unlocked Telus one you'll pay around 750 right now.
    Ouch. I think I'll pass... lol
    03-04-10 12:49 PM
    Ouch. I think I'll pass... lol
    Same here. The only way I'd pay that much for a device if I would offset the costs by selling something else. Right now, I wouldn't be willing to give up anything for it.
    03-04-10 01:09 PM
    The Telus version works on AT&T 3G. It's the unlocked European ones that do not work on 3G. All Telus 3G phones can run on AT&T 3G service.
    Interesting... where would I find one?
    03-04-10 05:02 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD