Wow, a Google phone runs Google apps really well. Go figure...
    and Blackberry doesn't...go figure
    05-18-10 09:57 AM
    Compjetelt false? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    05-18-10 09:59 AM
    Seems like everyone on this thread has owned first generation Android devices and of course they are not going to match up to current Blackberries. Fast forward to 2010 with the slew of new Android superphones packing AMOLED screens, 1Ghz processors, Android 2.1 and soon to be Android 2.2 You have devices which Blackberry cant even begin to compete with. Like I said before Blackberry is a great messaging and email device but that's a one trick pony and they need to update their hardware and software. I have a 9700 (been a blackberry lover for 4 years) and a Nexus one, I can truly say that the N1 is a far superior device software wise and hardware wise. I'm a Gmail user and haven't missed out on push email by switching to an Android device in fact I haven't missed out on really anything.

to the poster that said "browser on my 9700 is pretty good" you really need to see what the competition is offering. IMO Blackberry browser is the worst browser on any mobile platform, RIM has even acknowledged it's many short comings.
    Last edited by JD914; 05-18-10 at 10:15 AM.
    05-18-10 10:09 AM
    I have used other browsers and I know the BB is not as good as some offerings but I also know it's deficiencies are exaggerated. I browse a couple hours some days on my 9700 and it works great for me. It flies on wifi and I have used the android browsers on the cliq and the mytouch and mine is faster. Anyway, the thing that matters is that I purchased the phone I liked. I'm assuming you did the same. For the OP they will probably need to play with a 9700 to see if it is what they want. Obviously opinions vary based on personal experience.
    05-18-10 10:29 AM
    Android superphones packing AMOLED screens
    AMOLED screens are still garbage at this point. Have you seen screen tests of the behold 2 and nexus one compared to LCD counterparts? As a designer, accurate color is an important thing to strive for. Yes, they are power efficient, but they really aren't better.
    05-18-10 10:40 AM
    I could care less about the browser on BlackBerry or applications. The only applications I would use, would be facebook, tumblr and twitter, occasionally shazam and google maps to check the bus schedule. All of these applications are on blackberry. Facebook for Blackberry, from what I've seen, runs better than Facebook for Android.

What it comes down to is having a device that is a messaging and email device first and a gimmicky device second, which is why BlackBerry is ideal for my needs. Thats why i cannot stand iPhone and Android phones. Yeah they are cool, but is it really a phone at that point?
    Have fun being limited to 5 tags a month on Blackberry. So you can't send emails on your android phone? I do it all the time.

As far as not being a phone, many would argue it makes it more of a phone. To ability to accomplish more than just emails. Is a Blackberry less of a phone than say a Nokia flip phone because it does more? No.
    05-18-10 11:02 AM
    I couldn't go back to the BB Broswer from what Android is packing. The apps in the Android Market are fantastic, especially compared to AppWorld on BB. Unless you must have email ALL THE TIME, there is a lot better out there in terms of smartphones.
    All I do is email IM and FB. No better OS for it I've had android, lame compared to a BB for PUSH content :P. THAT is what is important to me. Not "ohh I have an app that makes fart noises"

Gsync has never let me down except once when it made double contacts, easily fixed . 700 contacts deleted at once ^^ hehehe.

LIke I said. Best PUSH device EVER.

No other phone even lasted 1/4 the battery life as my Bold2 . Iphone = recharged twice a day and once at night. My android device twice a day. My Bold I get home with 70% a day after a lot of use, and after HAR DHARD HARD HARD core use, 45% .

hehe. Regardless, I'm VERY social and I need a phoen that keeps up. No other device can.
    05-18-10 02:04 PM
    Bold no doubt

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-10 07:01 PM
    Imo Android is still to new to be good, I found it to be slow if you didn't keep on top of things, using the mass storage option to access the files on my pc failed every week at some point, I had to factory reset once a month, the applications on android although plentiful most where slow and rubbish, facebook was pathetic, games rubbish, media player rubbish and lacked equaliser settings, no signal rendered almost everything useless. Yes it was good with gmail and contacts but my experience so far with the bb bold 9700.has done just fine if not faster with google calendar and contacts (might be o2 over tmobile though). Imo go to the network of your choice and 'test drive' the phones you like, but android is just not very good!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-10 09:15 PM
    My school district that I provide security for ditched blackberry for all their employees teachers, principals, secretaries, custodians, etc etc. last year and handed them all iphones, all I hear is them complaining about how they want their blackberry's back, and they have even started a petition to get the school district to let them get their berry's back if they want, and most of them I've talked to want their berry's back....
    05-18-10 09:43 PM
    My school district that I provide security for ditched blackberry for all their employees teachers, principals, secretaries, custodians, etc etc. last year and handed them all iphones, all I hear is them complaining about how they want their blackberry's back, and they have even started a petition to get the school district to let them get their berry's back if they want, and most of them I've talked to want their berry's back....
    BlackBerrys are like dumbphones with QWERTY keyboards. Also, people don't like change.

To the OP, I suggest you wait for the MyTouch Slide. It's a solid Android device that will have a QWERTY keyboard and some other nice customizations too. The only reason to get a BlackBerry now is if you need it for e-mail, specifically for business purposes. Android has matured very fast and is now a legitimate iPhone competitor. The same can't be said for RIM now. Applications on BlackBerry are overpriced and the support is mediocre when compared to Android.

Personally, I'm going to smash my 8900 into the ground when T-Mobile gets a high-end Android device. I spend a lot of my time in the browser. Browsing with a BlackBerry is something I wish no other person to endure. BlackBerrys are only good for corporate e-mail, not much else. I've also learned to type on a touchscreen keyboard and it's not that bad. I could probably type faster with a soft keyboard than a hard keyboard with some practice. The white 9700 looks amazing but I won't get it since I know that there's a world of hurt behind that keyboard.
    05-18-10 09:56 PM
    ur gonna love the 9700
    05-19-10 01:10 AM
    world of hurt ermm I wonder what that means .. anyway suggest the change of your direction to android only forum if you feel so terribly sore about BlackBerry .
    05-19-10 01:26 AM
    world of hurt ermm I wonder what that means .. .
    It's just something trolls say when they don't have any real facts.
    05-19-10 02:42 AM
    Well as a former G1 and BB8900 owner to my current BB9700 and Motorola Cliq...I will give you my experience/opinion.

What I like about Android over BB:
    Web browsing -Now for those who say web browsing is "horrendous" on the Bold....is exaggerating a bit. It's not as fast or as easy to view like an Android phone but it isn't that bad.
    Google integration- Well, it better work well on any Android phone. I use Google Maps/Mail/Voice/Calendar alot and I've had to make some adjustments with my BB.
    Fun Apps- This is where Android and iPhone kill BB. But, it really depends on what you use your smart-phone phone. For me, I could care less about 99% of the useless apps in the market. There were some fun games that I enjoyed that were free whereas they cost $$ on BB.

Other than that.....there's not much more.

I find that I play with the Cliq just to goof around..especially when I have to take the wife shopping and I'm waiting around. But as far as being productive/efficiency and form factor, I just love my BB. I'm in the hunt for a new job (still employed) a working with several recruiters/head hunters so email is very important to me and I never felt that Android OS handled it to my liking.

At the end of the day, the decision is obviously yours and you need to think about how you use your phone.
    05-19-10 01:31 PM
    Well as a former G1 and BB8900 owner to my current BB9700 and Motorola Cliq...I will give you my experience/opinion.

What I like about Android over BB:
    Web browsing -Now for those who say web browsing is "horrendous" on the Bold....is exaggerating a bit. It's not as fast or as easy to view like an Android phone but it isn't that bad.
    Google integration- Well, it better work well on any Android phone. I use Google Maps/Mail/Voice/Calendar alot and I've had to make some adjustments with my BB.
    Fun Apps- This is where Android and iPhone kill BB. But, it really depends on what you use your smart-phone phone. For me, I could care less about 99% of the useless apps in the market. There were some fun games that I enjoyed that were free whereas they cost $$ on BB.

On to web browsing. Its painful on the behold 2. I dont understand why people are loving android web browsing, it really isn't that great. If i want to access web pages, thats what my macbook pro is for. I was using the T-Mobile Sidekick 2009 and web browsing on that thing was horrendous, but it still loaded pages faster than the behold 2. Really what it comes down to is that im not a huge fan of the touch screen. The reason why I'm switching to blackberry is that i need a robust communicator first, and a silly web browsing device second. That and on T-Mobile i can tether for free with a blackberry, where i have no idea how to tether on android.

On google integration, i'm really just concerned about getting my contacts off of G-mail the first time around. Google maps I rarely use. I only use it to check bus times, which can be done on the blackberry bold.

And fun apps, well I'm not fond of those. Again, its a phone, not a game boy.

The 26th, the blackberry bold shall be mine!
    05-19-10 02:15 PM
    Good choice can't go wrong
    05-19-10 05:34 PM
    [QUOTE=godzilla07;5134520]BlackBerrys are like dumbphones with QWERTY keyboards. Also, people don't like change.

Blackberry's dumb phones? Really?! And as for people don't like change? I guess you didn't read that I said the school district replaced the blackberry's with iphones a year ago, and after a year of using iphones they still want their berry's back....
    05-19-10 07:11 PM
    Wow, a Google phone runs Google apps really well. Go figure...
    and Blackberry doesn't...go figure
    Google has a vested interest in not making Google Apps the very best they can be on BB.
    Last edited by nico6; 05-19-10 at 07:26 PM.
    05-19-10 07:22 PM
    Another BB advantage is battery life. My Bold lasts 2-3x longer than my wife's Cliq XT.
    05-20-10 12:50 AM
    On to web browsing. Its painful on the behold 2. I dont understand why people are loving android web browsing, it really isn't that great. If i want to access web pages, thats what my macbook pro is for. I was using the T-Mobile Sidekick 2009 and web browsing on that thing was horrendous, but it still loaded pages faster than the behold 2. Really what it comes down to is that im not a huge fan of the touch screen. The reason why I'm switching to blackberry is that i need a robust communicator first, and a silly web browsing device second. That and on T-Mobile i can tether for free with a blackberry, where i have no idea how to tether on android.

On google integration, i'm really just concerned about getting my contacts off of G-mail the first time around. Google maps I rarely use. I only use it to check bus times, which can be done on the blackberry bold.

And fun apps, well I'm not fond of those. Again, its a phone, not a game boy.

The 26th, the blackberry bold shall be mine!

I have always been (for the most part) a bberry user and tried the N1 and just sold it. You can install google sync which i did and all you contacts sync automatically onto your new berry with no issues whatsoever.

I keep syncing away and no problems at all. Overall i think that you'll enjoy the berry a lot, that is not to say that you may miss something from android.
    05-20-10 08:16 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD