Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Storm 1 to Moto Droid

ok here we go I have had my storm for 1 year it was not great at first, but I have to say now I live it. Here's the thing I can sell my storm for 100 dollars and upgrade to droid for those of you who have made the move give me your imput on how you feel about your move. Keep in mind I have my storm working flawlessly and do not want to change just because the browser is faster so give me somethin to go off of other than that. Thanks in advance. Also I use tether in my storm is it available for the droid?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Global Posts
    32,786 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

You might also want to consider the storm2. Its faster has a much better click and the wifi and extra memory are nice too.

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I did consider it but after studying up on it seems like the only diff between it and storm 1 are the wi-fi and more memory. **** they didn't even change there dang icons and the dang home screen is the same.

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Do you have the storm 2 or droid pkcable?

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    2,639 Global Posts

I came from the Storm to the Droid and haven't looked back. Not sure if I'll ever travel back to blackberry land. PDAnet will allow you to tether and if you're adventurous, you can load a custom rom and enable wireless tether (turn you phone into a wireless hotspot). There's just so much that the Android platform can do over Blackberry. If you use gmail or exchange, the switch is a no brainer. It has its quirks but it's a great device if you take the time to get familiar with it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

The storm 2 is much better than the storm 1...an unreal difference in typing and much less buggy. But most people that get droids seem to really like them... Also consider a nexus one or droid eris, I hear those are pretty sweet too... HTC has a come a long way
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Does this PDAnet cost much and were do I pick it up at?

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    949 Global Posts

Imo, there is no BB, and I've had quite a few of them, that compares to the Droid. It is on a whole other level, and once you start using one, you'll wonder why you put up with your BB. As far as tethering goes, there is a free version of PDAnet, and there are also mods that you can do, to turn your Droid into a wifi hotspot.
    A cigar is man's opportunity to reflect on the past, and dream about the future.
    Spotmark
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    2,019 Global Posts
    PIN
    CH Me!

I would agree that the Droid has some small quarks, but overall, I love this thing! The only thing I really miss is the ability to search my corporate directory (BES user here).

Active-Sync seems to be working great. The only pain is every 30 days when my corporate password expires, I have to reset my password.

I have 3 email accounts set up:

1 - Work -- Active-Sync
    2 - Google
    3 - Home internet provider Pop3

All work as expected.

I would recommend getting the Car Dock. Turns the droid into the mother of all GPS nav systems. This alone is worth the upgrade IMHO.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    2,639 Global Posts

haha. yeah. I throw it in the car dock and let it navigate me to work and back home lol. It'd be nice if it was made like the multimedia dock where you didn't have to plug it in each time though.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

I have a e mail acc on my storm or in other words a blackberry e mail account will I be able to still use it with the droid.

CrackBerry User

I had the Storm2 for about 5 weeks and after 3 exchanges because of the bottom buttons not working 90% of the time, I called Verizon and they shipped me out a Droid to try. Believe me, I have NOT looked back. The only thing I miss is BBM. The Storm2 has so many issues and all you see in threads is how many times people exchanged their Storm2 for different issues. It's a buggy phone. I have had the Droid for a month. NO battery pulls and absolutely no issues.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    2,639 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigdizzle247 View Post
    I have a e mail acc on my storm or in other words a blackberry e mail account will I be able to still use it with the droid.

you'll lose the vzw.blackberry.net address if that's what you're talking about. Otherwise, you should be able to set up the email on the Droid but it won't be push unless it's gmail or an exchange account.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    709 Global Posts

If you go to a Droid, be prepared to give up most of your reasons to visit this site. Just think, no more searching these threads for a leaked OS! No battery pulls! Also, you can get all of your web surfing done quickly because you don't have to spend time waiting for your BB to reboot.

Simply said....the droid is in a different league right now. BB as a phone is very good but all else falls short.

PS: If and when you buy a Droid, give it time. It took me a year to finally get used to my Storm typing and such. Be patient and learn it inside and out and you will be happy.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    945 Global Posts

Yeah, I got the Droid and I feel like I'm out of the club.

Sadly, a large amount of the Droid sites are umm, well... Younger and less, helpful. I miss my BB friends. And my cool keyboard.

In touchscreen land, between the Storms and the Droid, I'd probably go Droid. Main reason to go back to BB would be the Tour II maybe... And I'd still miss a LOT about the Droid. Other than keyboard and text editing pain and suffering.
    8830 4.5.0.160 and Droid, both on Verizon
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    K Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by ferniesp View Post
    If you go to a Droid, be prepared to give up most of your reasons to visit this site. Just think, no more searching these threads for a leaked OS! No battery pulls! Also, you can get all of your web surfing done quickly because you don't have to spend time waiting for your BB to reboot.

Simply said....the droid is in a different league right now. BB as a phone is very good but all else falls short.

PS: If and when you buy a Droid, give it time. It took me a year to finally get used to my Storm typing and such. Be patient and learn it inside and out and you will be happy.

A year....? Really?
    {+_+} Droid... 2.1/Rooted

If you can't "Contribute" to a thread, Don't Post!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    770 Global Posts

Please don't let anyone talk you into getting a Storm 2. You will be disappointed with it. It's the same old POS Storm in a different wrapper. The Droid is so far ahead of that phone it's laughable. I went from Storm to Storm 2. Had the Storm 2 for three weeks and couldn't believe I wasted money on that phone. Switched to the Droid and never thought twice about it.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    K Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by DRLyman View Post
    Please don't let anyone talk you into getting a Storm 2. You will be disappointed with it. It's the same old POS Storm in a different wrapper. The Droid is so far ahead of that phone it's laughable. I went from Storm to Storm 2. Had the Storm 2 for three weeks and couldn't believe I wasted money on that phone. Switched to the Droid and never thought twice about it.
    +1, Ditto, Exactly...

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts

The Droid is a much better device. If you have a gmail account, and don't NEED a blackberry for email then get the Droid. You wont regret it. I also had a storm that worked ok, but now that I've switched I haven't looked back.
    DROID > BlackBerry
    CrackBerry User

I had the Storm 1 and just got a Droid like 2 weeks ago.

BEST DECISION I EVER MADE!
    I'm in love with my Droid.
    Sooo much faster, more apps, and having the option of on-screen keyboard and the slide-out one is awesome.
    I don't have to deal with tons of battery pulls any more. It's so nice.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    PIN
    Guess??

Gave up my Storm (which I loved and lived by with never a problem) for the Droid two weeks ago. I have to say, as much as I loved the Storm...I really love the Droid! No looking back. And I hate to burst the bubble of Bigdizzle, I sold my Storm on eBay for $40. Seams like alot of Storms are on there. Pages and Pages of them.
    Moto Q > Palm Treo 700 > BB Storm 9530 > Moto Droid 2.0

The first step in failure is trying
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,893 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spotmark View Post
    Imo, there is no BB, and I've had quite a few of them, that compares to the Droid. It is on a whole other level, and once you start using one, you'll wonder why you put up with your BB. As far as tethering goes, there is a free version of PDAnet, and there are also mods that you can do, to turn your Droid into a wifi hotspot.
    You know, I thought the same thing when I got my iphone 3GS. I thought that there was no way that I would ever go back to BB and in a few short months I was back with a BB 9700. I don't know what it is about BBs, but they are hard to let go of. I see phone after phone that seems better than the BB in specs, build, OS, everything, but I always have to have my BB. Its weird.

CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    K Floyd

I drop my BB like a bad habit. It was a easy, smooth, joyful transition...

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,501 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    You know, I thought the same thing when I got my iphone 3GS. I thought that there was no way that I would ever go back to BB and in a few short months I was back with a BB 9700. I don't know what it is about BBs, but they are hard to let go of. I see phone after phone that seems better than the BB in specs, build, OS, everything, but I always have to have my BB. Its weird.

Its actually pretty simple. Once you get past the beautiful hardware you are left with an OS that is not at BB's level in terms of functionality and ecosystem. The devide is narrowing with each incarnation of Android, but its not there yet.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    For me to know and you to find out.

I sold my S1 for $90.00 and used that money on my NE2... so I basically got my Droid for free. That being said its been the best thing that I could have ever done. If I'm paying this much money a month for a phone and as much for the phone itself as I did I don't think I should have to "settle". That's just me though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast