I'm really liking what I've seen about Sony's lineup this year. The hardware looks really top notch, and the hands-on's done so far on the software side all look very promising. Best part of all is that Sony are one of the most beloved androids by developers because they're really cooperative about unlocked bootloaders Rumour has it these are going to launch with the bootloader already unlocked which would be amazing.

The best thing I like about this launch is that both versions have the same specs. The Z is looking like the "bling" version because it's waterproof, has a posh looking glass back design, and is supposedly water/dust proof. The cons: the water/dust proofing comes at a price - physical covers on all the ports you'll have to contantly open/close

The ZL has some equally interesting features. The back isn't as "blingy" but has a good solid grippy polycarbonate backing, the same specs as the Z, and although it has the same 5" display, the actual phone itself is smaller than the Z. And it has a physical camera button. This one is going to be my favorite, and luckily for me it's coming to my carrier in April.

Specs:

The Sony Xperia ZL and the Sony Xperia Z are both powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro system on a chip, featuring a 1.5GHZ quad-core Krait processor paired with an Adreno 320 GPU, alongside 2 GB of RAM.

microSD cards of up to 32GB are supported.

Both the Sony Xperia Z and the Xperia ZL feature the same display: a 5-inch panel with 1920 by 1080 pixel resolution. That�s a industry-leading 443ppi density, for those interested in quantifying the crispness of the display. Although the Xperia Z and the Xperia ZL appear to be using the very same panel used by HTC on the HTC Droid DNA / Butterfly, Sony has added a display calibration software in the mix, as well as its BRAVIA Engine 2 technology, which improves brightness and contrast in images and videos.

both feature 13 MP primary cameras, Exmor RS sensor, which improves the overall quality of the images, but also enables HDR Video and HDR Photo capabilities. The Xperia Z features a 2.2 MP front facing camera for video chatting, while the Xperia ZL features a 2MP sensor

2330mAh battery on the Xperia Z and a 2370 mAh battery on the Xperia ZL

Xperia Z and the Xperia ZL with Android 4.1 out of the box
    02-28-13 10:09 AM
    your pictures didn't come through, btw

Didn't Sony go with a some new multitouch for this Xperia line? It's supposed to allow gestures without touching the screen and Samsung was thinking of using it with their Galaxy S4
    02-28-13 10:22 AM
    There wasn't any talk of that no. Check you settings though the pics are showing on all my devices and Tapatalk as well
    02-28-13 11:55 AM
    It was the Xperia Sola that I was thinking of: Sony explains Xperia Sola's 'floating touch' technology | Android Central

as for the pics, the url sends me to: http://cdn03.androidauthority.net/wp...ia-ZL-aa-3.jpg and then I get: Authentication Mode Not Supported (authentication_mode_not_supported). The configured authentication mode is not supported for the current request.

no biggie...maybe it's just me.
    02-28-13 12:20 PM