I know i dont typically post here. Once I posted on here like I was employed by Crackberry, but I've come to notice something in my lurking.

Android Central's forums are dead. At least for the devices I own. HTC Glacier, Logitech Revue, Nook Color, and the Asus Transformer.

XDA is a seriously happening place, tons of information and people willing to help.

But crackberry has turned into a forum asking one major question. "I don't like my Blackberry. Should I go with iOS or Android".

Seems like the general, Android and Apple forums are nothing but that question being asked over and over again.

Just an observation....

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    01-22-12 03:44 PM
    I sort of agree. I think part of it is the fact that so many Android devices come out so frequently. It makes a device that is only six months old ancient (in Android years). Places like XDA has so many people who actually own the devices and do what they can to keep them modern.

It's like my Viewsonic gTablet. Viewsonic isn't going to put out any updates (they pretty much stopped releasing updates six months after release), and the gTablet forum on AC is all but dead. XDA has an active forum going, and SlateDroid is even more active with ICS development.

The things I see on AC are pretty much which devices are coming out soon, a little bit of app discussion, and new Android users asking the same questions over and over. It doesn't look like the main AC staff members participate in the forums much. Kevin and the Crackberry team seem to be more active.

Sent from my gTablet using Tapatalk.
    01-22-12 06:03 PM
    i�ve also noticed that... strange.
    01-22-12 07:55 PM
    AC forums are hit and miss, some devices get lots of action while others don't. The gnex forum is a very busy forum. The transformer forum is much quieter but i also don't mod that near as much and more or less use it as it is. I have tried several ROMs but just don't play around with it like i do my phones. But I am sure once a good ICS port or the real thing drops it will pick up.

XDA can be the same way. Like mentioned with as many devices are released its hard to stay on what is top and current
    01-22-12 08:30 PM
    Xda device forums live and die real quick. Device support and hype doesn't last long. Also if a forum has limited development they have a bad habit of banning the only active devs left. I've seen that happen on 3 different devices...

Also keep in mind that RIM single handedly killed theme makers. That entire fanbase (makers and users) is completely gone....
    01-22-12 11:50 PM
    The crackberry forums is the one thing I miss about BB. I like this android forum on crackberry better than the AC forums. I read AC for all the latest android news but the forums are pretty much dead, except for the forum for the newest android phone. Things do tend to move at a different speed over there.

The xda website is a bit too technical for me. I'm just not interested in rooting my phone and installing new ROMS. The one reason I would root would be to get rid of the junk apps on my phone that I never run. And it would be nice to install some new system fonts. Ok, maybe I will get around to rooting. Someday.
    Last edited by ba_hamilton; 01-23-12 at 06:17 AM.
    01-23-12 06:06 AM
    If you have a question about your Android device, you can post it under Crackberry's Curve 9380 sub forum and you will get an answer quicker than on AC.

The reason for this is because there are 34,918 Android devices, a new one coming out every 47 minutes.

I'm surprised how many new posts there are under Galaxy Nexus --only Verizon though not ATT, TMO or Sprint, those forums aren't getting any posts-- because last year when I got my Nexus S, there were probably fewer than 50 posts for all of December 2010 and January 2011.
    01-23-12 07:38 AM
    there seems to be some action on androidforums.com but it isn't anything like here....i check them out from time to time but i pose most if not all of my droid questions here first. on a side note, the people on the AF off topic/thread game forums are for sure not your average BB posters in the same forums....they (AF) seem to be way more into animae....lol
    01-23-12 09:32 AM
    I think AC gets plenty of traffic. The individual device forums are pretty quiet, but I attribute that to a couple factors..

Android discussions and questions are more OS centric, so are discussed more often in the more general forums.

The device specific forums are quickly populated with very helpful stickies that answer a majority of a user's questions. As well, AC users tend to use the Search tools more often than most forum sites (which I attribute to Android being search centric by nature). So many users get the information they need before they bother to post.

In my experience, AC may not set records on post counts, but I rarely see a post asking for help that doesn't garner a quick response.

I've also noticed the Android community now tends to tap Google+ first before forums.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    01-23-12 09:42 AM
    As a writer on AC i may be biased but still.

Our forums are amazing, some of the guys that reside in there are some of the most helpful people in the Android community :-)

01-23-12 10:00 AM
    IMO the AC forums are too fragmented. They have way too many forums for way too many devices. Instead of reducing the forums by manufacturer which IMO would be better they have forums for each and every individual devices. Most of the individual forums are totally dead. Another good idea would be a general Android discussion forum which im sure i would frequent more often.
    01-23-12 03:38 PM
    I think some of the AC forums are active, but this one has always been excellent. The only complaint I have here is the huge amount of bloaty ads. Sometimes it takes forever to get on
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-23-12 03:59 PM
    There are many Android forums, and some really well known ones, AC being just one of them. I like Android Central mainly for the news articles although the gnex forums are very active. I'm not sure what the rules are with regards to posting other forum links so I'm not going to but google is your friend.
    01-23-12 09:23 PM
    I think there can be more sections, but I suppose it takes away from the offerings of CrackBerry's mother site. At the least, users can bring out different threads, pertaining to other Android things, like apps; more in depth discussion about things aside from @should I move to Android, or iPhone?"

01-23-12 10:49 PM
    Xda device forums live and die real quick. Device support and hype doesn't last long. Also if a forum has limited development they have a bad habit of banning the only active devs left. I've seen that happen on 3 different devices...

Also keep in mind that RIM single handedly killed theme makers. That entire fanbase (makers and users) is completely gone....
    Did they really kill theming? I've wondered why, looking thru 9900 screen shots, that it's all the same other than wallpaper..but I guess I just thought that themes were in the works.

That's ridiculous if they killed off themes, as that was probably one of the things I liked best when I had my BB. The ability to customize it a little different than the average joe.
    01-24-12 09:24 AM
    IMO the AC forums are too fragmented. They have way too many forums for way too many devices. Instead of reducing the forums by manufacturer which IMO would be better they have forums for each and every individual devices. Most of the individual forums are totally dead. Another good idea would be a general Android discussion forum which im sure i would frequent more often.
    +10. There are just too many forums in AC. They should just amalgamate them all into a few brand specific ones imo. I mean, look at this forum. Not everyone is using the same type of phone, but when someone has a question, a lot of answers can be supplied from just having Android knowledge in general. I don't need to have a Droid Inc to be able to help someone who has keyboard or general Android based questions. I think on a whole, they (AC) need to figure out a way to bring the community together,rather than having their own little individual communities.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-24-12 09:29 AM
    Rootzwiki is my favorite forum for Android news, tech help, flashing, and for community. Check it out. I just recently found Crackberry again. I used to hang out here a lot when I was a blackberry owner. I tend to not like the blind loyalist mentality of some of the blackberry fanbase though but the Android subforum here seems cool.

01-24-12 09:40 AM
    Did they really kill theming? I've wondered why, looking thru 9900 screen shots, that it's all the same other than wallpaper..but I guess I just thought that themes were in the works.

That's ridiculous if they killed off themes, as that was probably one of the things I liked best when I had my BB. The ability to customize it a little different than the average joe.
    Their gpu acceleration broke the theme creator with no solution from them even now.
    Rickroller likes this.
    01-24-12 02:40 PM

I loved installing different themes on my BB 8900. I must have visited that forum several times a week, and I bet I had 30 different themes all of which were free. That was very fun, and I miss that about the Android.
    01-25-12 01:31 PM
    I loved installing different themes on my BB 8900. I must have visited that forum several times a week, and I bet I had 30 different themes all of which were free. That was very fun, and I miss that about the Android.
    When RIM killed themebuilder that was the stimulus to make me and 15 of my friends switch. I don't ever see myself going back to bb now but one never knows. Lets see what things look like in a couple of years.
    01-26-12 07:57 AM
    When RIM killed themebuilder that was the stimulus to make me and 15 of my friends switch. I don't ever see myself going back to bb now but one never knows. Lets see what things look like in a couple of years.
    Yeah you never know what things will look like in a couple years. I had a BB for about 3 years starting with the 8100. They just didn't buy into the touchscreen concept, is what it really boils down to. They make one halfarsed stab at it and pretty much gave up. Apple wouldn't use anything but a touchscreen and that turned out pretty good for them. (Glad I bought the stock but I didn't buy the phone )
    01-26-12 01:42 PM
    RIM never really was a trendsetter in terms of specs or new features. That was OK though.

Here's the main difference between before and now...
    Their execution is continually fubar'd now. They have so many more problems now than they did before and nothing is delivering even close to what was promised.

Currently with the bb7 handsets you have the potential random bricking issue. Supposedly 7.1 fixes that (which is official for all 9930s), ok. 7.1 has some other wonderful issues like randomly after placing calls the other person can't hear you at all (to only name one). There's also some kind of software issue in both OS revisions that can prevent the phone from charging (every source you plug it into says the device can't be charged by it, requires a reboot in order to charge again).

Downgrading or upgrading between the two OSes is not simple because there's a device software bug that can prevent both Apploader and DM from recognizing the device as connected (tested across two completely unique PCs with brand new installs of DM + OS and the result is the same). Rebooting the handset fixes it...

Not even going to go into some of the problems with PB OS1.

These kind of problems shouldn't exist, yet they are actually getting more frequent...

I have little faith in things turning around, because OS6 was supposed to do it, OS7 was supposed to do it, then PB OS1 was supposed to do it, then PB OS2 didn't release, now OS 7.1 still is having problems. That's quite a history of failure...
    01-26-12 02:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD